• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
If they continue to complete 2 characters a month this game wont be ready til next year. Makes me think that Sakurai is hiding some goodies in his imagination van. Or maybe hes on a sh#@storm of schedule and he plans on wrenching the game out of his ass in December.
I don't know how videogame development works...

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I realized most the starting characters in melee have been confirmed, we all know yoshi and ness will be in because they've been with us since the start. In that case the only character not announced is ice climbers, the only character besides snake i could care less if they get cut.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
If they continue to complete 2 characters a month this game wont be ready til next year. Makes me think that Sakurai is hiding some goodies in his imagination van. Or maybe hes on a sh#@storm of schedule and he plans on wrenching the game out of his *** in December.
he may be only revealing the starter roster

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Firstly, hello! New here so this is my first post, haha.

I think if any characters were to be cut would be one of the space animals and maybe Jiggs. I'd be OK with Falco or Wolf going...Wolf feels more unique to me, so I think I'd actually prefer he get left in over Falco, but arguments can be made for either, really. Jigglypuff has sort of faded out of the limelight, but she's also one of the original 12 so I feel like she'll be in no matter what.

Lucas was my main in Brawl, so I really hope he doesn't get the axe...I guess only time will tell! I also would have been OK with Lucario getting the boot, but he has obviously since been confirmed so that's not happening.

Snake...may not return. He's one of my favourite characters in Smash, but I can see him potentially getting cut. However, I really hope he stays in the series. Same with Ike, although he's a huge fan favourite and is extremely fun to play, so I don't see him going anywhere.

Bah, I don't even know. So much has happened that almost makes me think we're going to get a cut-free roster!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Roy and Lucas have hatedoms the size of their fandoms in Japan, but Lucas is really the only second rep his series could have. Roy literally has another 13 characters competing for his spot.

There's Pichu. Do I really need to discuss?

And then there's Snake. I don't know enough about Kodjima and MGS to say anything more intelligent then what's been said, but it really just comes down to his decision.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think the Starfox crew is completely safe, as well as Ike. I'm sure Ike will be higher priority than a new Fire Emblem character since he's the 2nd most important, popular, and iconic FE character next to Marth. Pokemon Trainer is too important to take out and if you do it's removing three completely unique movesets of popular characters as well as removes a unique gimmick, I can't see Sakurai allowing him to go. There's no reason Snake should go, there's no indication that Sakurai wouldn't be able to get the rights to use him, and every other argument against him are things that would have been taken into consideration when adding him into Brawl.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I think the Starfox crew is completely safe, as well as Ike. I'm sure Ike will be higher priority than a new Fire Emblem character since he's the 2nd most important, popular, and iconic FE character next to Marth. Pokemon Trainer is too important to take out and if you do it's removing three completely unique movesets of popular characters as well as removes a unique gimmick, I can't see Sakurai allowing him to go. There's no reason Snake should go, there's no indication that Sakurai wouldn't be able to get the rights to use him, and every other argument against him are things that would have been taken into consideration when adding him into Brawl.
Nintendo has been shunned by Metal Gear Solid so why would they promote a character that doesn't even appear on Nintendo consoles anymore?

And before people start complaining about Ice Climber, F-Zero or any other retro games that don't have any recent games, just shut up.
You know exactly what I mean.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Nintendo has been shunned by Metal Gear Solid so why would they promote a character that doesn't even appear on Nintendo consoles anymore?

And before people start complaining about Ice Climber, F-Zero or any other retro games that don't have any recent games, just shut up.
You know exactly what I mean.
If Snake not being on Nintendo consoles that often was an issue then he wouldn't have been added in the first place. There was at least a game on the 3DS, so it's not like it's been a long time since a Metal Gear game was on a Nintendo system

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
If Snake not being on Nintendo consoles that often was an issue then he wouldn't have been added in the first place. There was at least a game on the 3DS, so it's not like it's been a long time since a Metal Gear game was on a Nintendo system
But his creators begged Sakurai to put him in, so they did.
I don't see any reason for him to stick around this time.
Nothing against Snake or how he plays, but it just doesn't make sense to have this kind of character in a Nintendo all-stars game.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
But his creators begged Sakurai to put him in, so they did.
I don't see any reason for him to stick around this time.
Nothing against Snake or how he plays, but it just doesn't make sense to have this kind of character in a Nintendo all-stars game.
If Sakurai didn't want Snake in the game he wouldn't have added him, but he liked the idea of Snake, so he did. Sakurai made it clear that he takes his 3rd party choices seriously, he wouldn't just give into what Kojima wanted if he didn't think it was a good idea. If I'm not mistaken Nintendo didn't want Snake in the game, however Sakurai did (that's what really matters) and he fought to get him in, he worked really hard trying to get him in, so why would he not add him in this time? Also Sakurai said he didn't want to cut anyone, ergo he doesn't want to cut Snake.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Okay. That proves there's a hatedom.

Of Mother 3. Not necessarily Lucas.

Plus, that's what? 4 people who didn't like it in that article? That's not enough to make judgement of an entire fan base.
Mother 3 haters obviously hate everything about it, characters included. And I can't exactly prove how big the hatedom is, but the very fact that most of the comments on Japanese articles about Mother 3 are usually hate shows it's significant. Earthboundcentral and other Mother sites have all covered the topic.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Sure, in the eyes of SSB fans. But what about FE fans? Pretty sure they hate him because of his overly happy-go-lucky personality that never goes away in the game revolving around permanent deaths and the fact that he's the worst lord stat-wise. Or my friend just hates his guts. ...Yaknow, I'll ask him about that.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I would say that Ike and Lucas might be the most likely to get cut, but a few days ago I would have said Lucario as well, so I probably am wrong.

I would think that Ike could get cut and replaced by Chrom, but who knows... Maybe Sakurai doesn't consider Ike a throw-away character like he did Roy. Ike is a unique character, after all, but you'd think that they'd throw in an Awakening character, as it was a very popular game, am I right?

Too much up in the air here.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
No, why would they cut a character important to history who reps their own franchise.
If you're talking about ROB, he's not very important to Nintendo at all! So what if they sold him with the NES as a toy? Technically, he's not even a game character! He just comes with a console and plays with you if you don't have a second person! Anyway, I just think that he does not have much of a chance.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If you're talking about ROB, he's not very important to Nintendo at all! So what if they sold him with the NES as a toy? Technically, he's not even a game character! He just comes with a console and plays with you if you don't have a second person! Anyway, I just think that he does not have much of a chance.
Take a guess at what people said about Game and Watch.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Who I think might not come back:

:snake::wolf::ike::rob::lucas::jigglypuff:

Especially

:rob::snake::wolf:
Out of six characters that are very unlikely to get cut, you had to pick the three that are definitely not getting cut?

R.O.B. kind of saved the video game industry in the US. As much as you probably wouldn't care about that, it would have hit the industry so hard that we likely wouldn't even be playing anything right now. R.O.B. isn't important to Nintendo? Nintendo wouldn't even exist as a game company without him.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Out of six characters that are very unlikely to get cut, you had to pick the three that are definitely not getting cut?

R.O.B. kind of saved the video game industry in the US. As much as you probably wouldn't care about that, it would have hit the industry so hard that we likely wouldn't even be playing anything right now. R.O.B. isn't important to Nintendo? Nintendo wouldn't even exist as a game company without him.
Rob HELPED the video game industry. I thank him for that. But that doesn't mean he should show up playable in random games like Mario Kart and Smash! He didn't single-handedly save it or anything. Mario helped the industry much more. I'd have no problems with him being an assist trophy, or simply a trophy. I agree that he at least has the right to be a trophy. But, in my opinion *flame shield activated* he's not quite achieved the rep status. That empty space could easily be filled by another better-deserving character. Also, unless they change up Wolf's moveset and CHANGE HIS FINAL SMASH, I don't want a clone character (except Luigi, because he is one of the original 12. Also, Sakurai said he was de-cloning Luigi). I would rather *flame shield reactivate* Krystal. I probably pissed off pretty much everyone with this post. If you hate Krystal, which a lot of people seem to, I'm fine with that. Just my opinion. And I'm not going to go into why Snake probably won't be in Smash 4 again.

Take a guess at what people said about Game and Watch.
Well, Mr. G&W started Nintendo's game company, not just helped it out of a tough spot. Also, Mr. G&W actually debuted in a game. ROB was only an accessory.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
If they continue to complete 2 characters a month this game wont be ready til next year. Makes me think that Sakurai is hiding some goodies in his imagination van. Or maybe hes on a sh#@storm of schedule and he plans on wrenching the game out of his *** in December.
Who said he only makes 2 characters every month? You don't expect him to reveal every single character as soon as they are finished, do you? Ever heard of secrets? (Sorry if this post comes out as rude. That's not the intention.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Rob HELPED the video game industry. I thank him for that. But that doesn't mean he should show up playable in random games like Mario Kart and Smash! He didn't single-handedly save it or anything. Mario helped the industry much more. I'd have no problems with him being an assist trophy, or simply a trophy. I agree that he at least has the right to be a trophy. But, in my opinion *flame shield activated* he's not quite achieved the rep status. That empty space could easily be filled by another better-deserving character. Also, unless they change up Wolf's moveset and CHANGE HIS FINAL SMASH, I don't want a clone character (except Luigi, because he is one of the original 12. Also, Sakurai said he was de-cloning Luigi). I would rather *flame shield reactivate* Krystal. I probably pissed off pretty much everyone with this post. If you hate Krystal, which a lot of people seem to, I'm fine with that. Just my opinion. And I'm not going to go into why Snake probably won't be in Smash 4 again.

Well, Mr. G&W started Nintendo's game company, not just helped it out of a tough spot. Also, Mr. G&W actually debuted in a game. ROB was only an accessory.
If Sakurai saw inclusion as importance, why WFT or ICs?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Love how everyone automatically guesses Ike. I'd hoped Lucario showing up would've cured that, but apparently not.

Sigh.

You'll all see.

I...honestly am not sure who would get cut if they had to. I'd guess the less original characters, that aren't Ganon. There's a very slim chance Ike and Snake are getting cut, and they aren't "danger zone" material.

All Sakurai has to do is say "Hey, Kojima! Snake!" and Kojima would say "lol aight bro"

Sakurai said he'd do his best to avoid cuts, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean "If I have to cut someone, it's ****ing Snake, because who the **** likes him?" Still though, even though it's really unlikely, I'd say Lucas (even though it makes zero sense) and Wolf, only because he was a last minute addition, clearly. However, I sincerely doubt they won't make it.

Now if I turn my prejudice on, I'm inclined to say "Cut Jigglypuff. Because there's absolutely no reason to have Jigglypuff in Smash at all, except for maintaining a status quo." but that's just my prejudice, and likely won't translate into the final product.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Without R.O.B., Mario wouldn't have even had the chance to help the industry, R.O.B. was literally a "Trojan horse" to get parents to buy an NES for their kids under the false pretense that it was just a toy. Even so, he has a completely unique moveset and he is a major part of Nintendo's history.

Wolf is not a clone, none of his regular attacks are anything like Fox's. He has four specials that are similar and a final smash (which I agree, needs to be changed badly) and his blaster is so different from Fox's that it's laughable to compare them. And Krystal? She's about my third most wanted right after Ridley.

And I'm not going to completely go into why Snake won't be getting cut. Simply put, he can't just get cut. Sakurai had to go through so much trouble to get him in the first place, it would be outright stupid to go through even more trouble to get rid of him. Snake got in because Sakurai and Kojima are friends, and probably still are. I made a rather large post elaborating on this subject in this very thread, Snake being third party instantly makes him higher priority than everyone else.

Also, holy ****ing triple post Batman.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
For Ice Climbers, he wanted someone to represent the Nes era. And for WFT, well, Earthbound has 3 games and 2 reps. WF has 3 games, so why can't it have a rep? Also, each game has had a gag newcomer. Jiggles, G&W, R.O.B., now WFT.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
For Ice Climbers, he wanted someone to represent the Nes era. And for WFT, well, Earthbound has 3 games and 2 reps. WF has 3 games, so why can't it have a rep? Also, each game has had a gag newcomer. Jiggles, G&W, R.O.B., now WFT.
ROB has two games, tons of cameos including stinking Mario Kart as a playable character, and a spot in a previous Smash title.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
ROB has two games, tons of cameos including stinking Mario Kart as a playable character, and a spot in a previous Smash title.
Don't you love when people try to argue against a character that's already been in Smash?

"Snake doesn't fit in, he shouldn't make it."

Brawl sure says otherwise. :laugh:

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman

Without R.O.B., Mario wouldn't have even had the chance to help the industry, R.O.B. was literally a "Trojan horse" to get parents to buy an NES for their kids under the false pretense that it was just a toy. Even so, he has a completely unique moveset and he is a major part of Nintendo's history.

Wolf is not a clone, none of his regular attacks are anything like Fox's. He has four specials that are similar and a final smash (which I agree, needs to be changed badly) and his blaster is so different from Fox's that it's laughable to compare them. And Krystal? She's about my third most wanted right after Ridley.

And I'm not going to completely go into why Snake won't be getting cut. Simply put, he can't just get cut. Sakurai had to go through so much trouble to get him in the first place, it would be outright stupid to go through even more trouble to get rid of him. Snake got in because Sakurai and Kojima are friends, and probably still are. I made a rather large post elaborating on this subject in this very thread, Snake being third party instantly makes him higher priority than everyone else.

Also, holy ****ing triple post Batman.
I never said he wasn't a major pary of Nintendo history. I just think that it doesn't give him the right to be a rep. I think he could fit right in to being an Assist Trophy. Also, don't forget that R.O.B. isn't a game character. Sakurai said he's stepping it up, so R.O.B. probably won't make the cut.

Second, Wolf isn't a full clone. I think the only (almost) full clone is Dr. Mario. But Wolf is still a pretty big clone of F & F (Fox and Falco). Also, are you being sarcastic with Krystal? Because *Flame Shield Deployed* Ridley is also on my custom roster.

Finally, I'm not going to converse about Snake, because no-one can ever change the other person's side.

Sorry, I didn't realise I tri-posted.

Top Bottom