• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predictions for Tier List v4 (Includes overview of entire cast)

Coney

Smash Master
Ness Bthrow get stale when Ness uses it early, like that Wolf fight. FOW screwed up. On average though, most people DI it wrong anyways, so yeah...
exactly, he messed up. ness shouldn't be bthrowing until the opponent is ~120%. looking at the video, i think FOW was maybe going for an edgeguard opportunity, or just the positional advantage, but it still shouldn't happen.

the ones after that, the ones that didn't kill wolf, are just minor errors. he thought it would kill them and it simply didn't, good work on wolf's part.

also i'm working on something with DDD's fsmash now bear with me because it's awful if you look at the frame data but i'm serious guys it is guaranteed out of uthrow

Chuee

Smash Hero
also i'm working on something with DDD's fsmash now bear with me because it's awful if you look at the frame data but i'm serious guys it is guaranteed out of uthrow
and they can't DI out or airdodge the Fsmash?

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I think it's fair for me to summarize a lot of the last two pages with "Ness relies on bthrow for kills".

My response: my sig...
Number of KO's: 42 (+5 if you count silly opening and ending)
Number of KO's that ended with back-throw: 1
Number of KO's that utilised back-throw: 2

Those aren't very good numbers for bthrow. Now I know it's a highlight video and it's not the best indicator but to be honest I had a very limited supply of replays to create that video with and numerous replays were used for several KO highlights each... also all the clips that I used blue Ness in were recorded in a single day at a tourney (Sauga Outbreak)... so it's a fairly accurate representation of where I get my KO's from, other Nesses could be different of course.

Besides if Ness really needs to rely on his bthrow he has the fastest pivot grab in the game and is tied for 2nd (or 3rd? I forget) fastest dash-grab; he definitely has the tools to get the grab.

Like I said in my last post though; there are still things holding him back, most people just don't know or know how to explain what those things are (even though a lot of those same people sure know how to exploit those things in game).

Coney

Smash Master
I think it's fair for me to summarize a lot of the last two pages with "Ness relies on bthrow for kills".
i honestly don't think anyone's saying that explicitly.

i think it's more that that's, like, ness' thing.

if we're talking about snake's kills in regards to lucas', you don't necessarily need to say how snake can kill with virtually every single move he has, just say utilt. nothing else is necessary.

lucas can kill, yeah, but we're speaking of high-level play here and practicality. and it can be hard out there for a lucas.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I have not abandoned the thread. I am only able to read on weekends, because school takes a lot of time, and as many of you know, I was in OH last weekend, so I missed that opportunity.

I'm on page 60/68, because I do other things besides read smashboards in my freetime these days, but tomorrow, before my crew meet, I'll try to make another post.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I have not abandoned the thread. I am only able to read on weekends, because school takes a lot of time, and as many of you know, I was in OH last weekend, so I missed that opportunity.

I'm on page 60/68, because I do other things besides read smashboards in my freetime these days, but tomorrow, before my crew meet, I'll try to make another post.
What could you possibly do that doesn't involve Smashboards? What else is there in life?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Women, Power, Money... the works...

This is me, being an insomniac. When am I not going to wake up after I go to bed...?

Is the topic about the Earthboys?

...Yeah, I hope people start to learn how to fight them.

Or rather get more patient.

Being patient rewards you better in the Lucas MU too, since a lot of his attacks are just... ah, I don't know how to describe it, but you should be good on avoiding some of the stuff he does. Of course Ness has the same philosophy, but it's harder to apply with him...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Is that so?

Well I wouldn't know. If I did follow that same philosophy, I'd be playing Meta Knight, and playing the boobies (Zero Suit Samus) as a secondary.

FaWa

Smash Apprentice
Not really.
Lucas is just a tad too slow and doesn't have the utilities ness has to pull off a win. (spike, yoyo, bthrow). Although if you get lucky as a Lucas you can be devastating, but in all honesty, hitting someone with a fully charged usmash is as difficult as it gets.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Not really.
explain much...

Name a reliable move that Lucas can use to kill in the air. Name a reliable kill move on the ground that doesn't require extreme start up. Name the amount of frames his tether takes before it grabs and after it misses. Name the amount of cool down frames on his f-smash. Name the amount of time Lucas is in his down smash and how many frames of start-up it has.

Seriously, Lucas doesn't have reliable kill power except for his d-air to d-tilt lock. But you can just DI out of his d-air. Seriously Lucas blows at killing a person that knows how to space.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
What does tethering have to do with anything?
lucas doesn't even need to go off stage to gimp someone.
and also what do cool down frames on his fsmash have to do with anything?
i'm pretty sure it's the startup that matters, which isn't much.

you can also di out of wolf's fsmash.
but yeah, good luck with that.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
What does tethering have to do with anything?
He doesn't even have a good grab to punish moves
lucas doesn't even need to go off stage to gimp build up damage on someone.
Quote fixed / airdodge
and also what do cool down frames on his fsmash have to do with anything?
i'm pretty sure it's the startup that matters, which isn't much.
True, but it's still unsafe if a person knows how to space correctly and therefore can be punished on spacing.
you can also di out of wolf's fsmash.
but yeah, good luck with that.
You can also DI out of Pikachu's D-smash. Every move has different amounts of how you can DI. Lucas D-air allows you to DI up to prevent the meteor smash.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
cool down still doesn't matter whether or not you kill/hit them with it, so it's sort of irrelevant for this discussion.
if you decide to not use a smash at an opportune time because you might get punished then so be it. :/

and if you only hit with the last 2 hits of lucas' dair the chance of it sourspotting decreases.

and i still don't see why tethering was brought up at all.

C.box

Smash Journeyman
wolf's fsmash isn't even a kill move and he can hit with the "tip" of the attack so you can't sdi out of it. <_<

Also sdi'ing to avoud the meteor smash = no lock IS BAD. Lucas IS bad at killing.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
wolf's fsmash isn't even a kill move and he can hit with the "tip" of the attack so you can't sdi out of it. <_<

Also sdi'ing to avoud the meteor smash = no lock IS BAD. Lucas IS bad at killing.

Regardless of how you feel about his D-Air Lock, Lucas does still have a F-Smash that is quite strong and fast.

In addition, he has 2 spikes and his d-smash and u-smash that can punish mistakes and score lucky kills like nobody's business

zeldspazz

Smash Master
If you only have 1 reliable kill move and a setup for it that can DIed out of, you are bad at killing.

Bair spike isnt guaranteed and said dair meteor can be DIed out of.

Chuee

Smash Hero
If you only have 1 reliable kill move and a setup for it that can DIed out of, you are bad at killing.

Bair spike isnt guaranteed and said dair meteor can be DIed out of.
He's not bad at killing. His smashes are kinda slow, but one mistake = GG.
Plus at higher % he has many moves that can KO in about 120% like Fair, Uair, ftilt.
Its kinda like G&W, if you play smart he has trouble hitting you with his smashes.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
One mistake = GG? I doubt that if you are talking about Dsmash and Usmash. It has to be a pretty significant mistake

Ive never been killed by Lucas's fair or ftilt at 120% btw :\

Chuee

Smash Hero
One mistake = GG? I doubt that if you are talking about Dsmash and Usmash. It has to be a pretty significant mistake

Ive never been killed by Lucas's fair or ftilt at 120% btw :\
I was talking about Fsmash.
I was just estimating, both kill sometime around that on the far right/left of a stage.

Moozle

Smash Champion
whenever i fight wolf his fsmash is much more of a problem in terms of his spacing. He can sh lasers and fsmash when i get close and then do what he wants to my hot princess bod. The good news is that it's easy shield, and di out of. His dsmash is really what gets me.

Edit: By the way, i have a question. I may be totally wrong in believing this, but isn't a tier list supposed to rank how good the character is, not the matchups? Because I just read the whole OP and it was mostly just comparing MUs. I always think of the bowser example. People are shocked when they see that he's high in the tier list because "their character can beat the crap out of him," but he's that high because he has good potential. He's a good character but has some really bad matchups.

I really just want to know if i'm wrong in thinking that a tier list ranks potential not MUs.

gm jack

Smash Lord
I think it is supposed to be a representation of potential in the current metagame. If a certain character does well vs the top characters, they should rank higher than someone who destroys the low tiers but gets beaten heavily by the better, more popular character.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
SDI still works, instead of up you click down and you'll hit the ground and he'll just whiff the second hit.

It isn't like Sheik's Fsmash which SDI cannot save you from.
What are you talking about? If he tips the Fsmash, SDI isn't going to do ****. You already got hit.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
What are you talking about? If he tips the Fsmash, SDI isn't going to do ****. You already got hit.
you're being dumb.

Sheik's Fsmash is a move that depends on where she hits you with her first hit.
So you can't SDI back to avoid the second hit, nor up because you don't pop up high enough.

wolf's Fsmash doesn't have such a sweetspot.
The angle at which he hits you cause you to actually pop up, not to the side where the second hit will connect. So when you get hit by the tipper, you DI down and hit the ground, causing the second hit to miss you.

The move completely relies on the first hit setting up for the second hit and unlike Snake's Ftilt or Sheik's Fsmash, can be broken through proper DI.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I would like to note that with Shiek's Fsmash, you can SDI the first hit up, and then SDI the second hit down and tech.

AfroTwist ShadowPie

Smash Journeyman
Link mains have been discussing wether he should be above CF or not lately so, I went to their boards and compared matchup points... CF should not be above Link lol
No bias.

Javon89

Smash Ace
For Diddy and MK for #1, I think the reason why MK is better than Diddy is because he's a more solid character, and Diddy's play style relies heavily on nanners and can be countered by easily shielding, grabbing them and throwing them, and MK has better kill moves and has better MUs.

Oh yeah, third to Link>Falcon.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
you're being dumb.

Sheik's Fsmash is a move that depends on where she hits you with her first hit.
So you can't SDI back to avoid the second hit, nor up because you don't pop up high enough.

wolf's Fsmash doesn't have such a sweetspot.
The angle at which he hits you cause you to actually pop up, not to the side where the second hit will connect. So when you get hit by the tipper, you DI down and hit the ground, causing the second hit to miss you.

The move completely relies on the first hit setting up for the second hit and unlike Snake's Ftilt or Sheik's Fsmash, can be broken through proper DI.
But, if the point of the small hits are to send you into the power hit.

If he spaces it so that only the power hit connects, what are you SDI'ing?

Top Bottom