• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predictions and Discussion of Stage Legality in Tournaments. (Update: Skyworld)

Superstar

Smash Champion
A new stage will continue the discussion, hopefully. I have a question about the Halberd. On that pic, is that the hangar? Cause if so, why would it be counterpick [is it the sloped edges...]? Or are there multiple parts I am not aware of?

Eaode

Smash Champion
The Hangar I refer to is the part of the Original E3 '06 trailer before Meta Knight is introduced as a newcomer.

It has no edges and a few platforms of to the side I believe. Than it takes off and gives us that 1 platform + slanted edge format.

I'll edit later with a pic.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Oh, that explains it, unless the hangar was meant just to show off. However we can't be certain. And waveshining does look like a reason to ban Bridge of Eldin [if it still exists].

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Oh, that explains it, unless the hangar was meant just to show off. However we can't be certain. And waveshining does look like a reason to ban Bridge of Eldin [if it still exists].
Every time I see the phrase "waveshining does look like a reason to ban", I die a little inside.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Could the first pic of the update be a potentially new stage, or even replace FD? ( I Hope NOT)....Then we wouldn't have an FD (It looks like a walk-off stage)

Florida

イーグランツ
****it Salaad, you beat me to it. I was going to do it, but this update just left me in complete awe that I was just stunned for a while. But I think that is a new stage yes, and I personally do hope it replaces Final Destination. It's an actual arena, that's as good as it's going to get as far as stages go.

By the way, this is by far the best update yet. I just got tingles when I noticed that the background was black instead of white this time, and it's even more freaky that it's listed under the "???" section. Whothecrapistheguyattheend? Anyways, I'm going to bed with wonderful dreams, and potential nightmares tonight.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Well, I guess I have to delve into the possibility that this new Arena (supposedly for a story mode or maybe just the intro, as the seeting in Melee was) is a stage.

I personally don't think it will be but, whatever :)

Now take a look at this zoomed in picture, You can see traditional ledges maybe? They might just be walls, but I'm thinking they're edges.

Now if this turned out to be a flat Pokemon Stadium, it'd definitely be Neutral

Maybe they'll pull a SSB64 on us and not make it playable?

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Man the halberd stage doesn't seem to remain in hangar mode for to long (not banned).

Rumble Falls seems to have a slow scroll so I don't think that it will be banned (probably gonna end up like Rainbow Cruise). The stage looks very cool though.

Yoshi story is going to be a neutral stage... the ghost platform only appears for a few seconds, so you can't really camp there.

And the angel stage is going to be neutral cause the platforms seem to act the same when the floor is destroyed (it's just a visual effect)

EDIT: I don't see why Lylat would be banned for Airwing Fire. Corneria wasn't even put into counterpicks for Airwing Fire... the stages that were banned due to stage hazards get the total ban treatment (like Flat Zone, Big Blue)

mada0207

Smash Cadet
wow those mapes are awsome but some i think u need to get in the game or ami wrong i don't get =( =D ooh well lol that a big pokemon 2

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I hope rumble falls is legal because it looks like a 100x better version of Icicle mountain(worst stage ever).

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
Arrrg, i hate the thought of banned levels. The team didn't put all this work in the levels for people to ignore.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Man the halberd stage doesn't seem to remain in hangar mode for to long (not banned).

Rumble Falls seems to have a slow scroll so I don't think that it will be banned (probably gonna end up like Rainbow Cruise). The stage looks very cool though.

Yoshi story is going to be a neutral stage... the ghost platform only appears for a few seconds, so you can't really camp there.

And the angel stage is going to be neutral cause the platforms seem to act the same when the floor is destroyed (it's just a visual effect)

EDIT: I don't see why Lylat would be banned for Airwing Fire. Corneria wasn't even put into counterpicks for Airwing Fire... the stages that were banned due to stage hazards get the total ban treatment (like Flat Zone, Big Blue)
I said counterpickable for halberd.

The angel land thing has been discussed. It may take away a grabbable edge when destroyed, but only time will tell.

I said Lylat would be Counterpickable with Arwing Fire..... Did you read the post?

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
I would have to argue that the Yoshi stage should not be counter pick only. If the stage starts out nuetral and no strength towards one player over the other, then i think it should be neutral. The battle could go any way, it might prove more skillful to decide how to fight when a ghost comes up... like the cloud in Yoshi Story. It could save you. I myself, have bad luck with interferences like these, so I have no idea why I am supporting this stage.

Pit's stage I think should be marked neutral for now. Do we know if all of the platforms can be destroyed? There could be some good strategy for destroying the stages too.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Well, Angel land could actually help people with horrid recoveries

Depending on if they are horrid because they are short or because they are easy to stop, if they are the latter, coming up through the stage, or going under to the lower platform could save your life...

Great, well thought out thread eaode. More of it.. NOW

If there is another stage update, I will be here first :)

Florida

イーグランツ
Rumble Falls has been added to my first post.
As well as Skyworld being edited somewhat.

When I saw this update, I was really only looking for information on the ledges, to see if they were grabbable (not a word) or not. But, since Sakurai doesn't provide us with any information on that matter, I'll still opt to think this stage as Neutral.

Angel Land - Skyworld.
We were close... :)

Anyways, Rumble Falls looks pretty awesome. I didn't know what to think at first, when I figured out that it would be all-too similar to Icicle Mountain, but I can see now that it has it's advantages. First of all, ladders? Awesome, a little more functions added into the game! Does that means that the platforms hovering above will not be accessible my jumping through them anymore, making it mandatory to use the ladders? Or are the ladders there just to help out possible characters with horrid recoveries (jumps)?

Also, I don't think that this stage lowers out of screen, but only goes toward one direction (upward). It's awesome to have a new theme to Donkey Kong's levels as well, the same style of Kong Jungle was getting old, this new stage should be something neat to try out!

smashbros.com said:
Hey! What’s at the top? Huh?

Hmm...I wonder...
From the looks of things, the vines raising toward the sky in the last picture might be another object to climb? Leading to the stationary grounds which it holds on top? Just bringing forth subjects to discuss upon.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I have a feeling this stage won't be legal.

See the slanted platform and the main one?

You can see a platform being destroyed and you can tell it's the main one because the slanted one is beside it. Yes, it could be the platform ABOVE it being destroyed, and the remains falling onto the main one, but the main one also looks like it's cracked and crumbling as well.

IMO, it looks as if the WHOLE stage is break-able. But Sakurai said it regenerates fast, so it just might work. Who knows.
Personally it doesn't look legal to me, you'd have to be in the air constantly considering every platform breaks by the looks of it.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Why is there even discussion when we have no idea the impact or new strategies that would arise from the level designs? We don't even know how the new characters will interact with the stages, everything is assumed based on SSBM physics. It's rather silly to start jumping to discussions of banned stages already.

Eaode

Smash Champion
SkyWorld will definitely not be neutral.

The update today revealed that people can be hit through the clouds. Basically, the stage is gone momentarily. The trailer revealed that ALL of the platforms are destructable. AND the fact that the lower platform is just BEGGING to be camped on.

EDIT:
Why is there even discussion when we have no idea the impact or new strategies that would arise from the level designs? We don't even know how the new characters will interact with the stages, everything is assumed based on SSBM physics. It's rather silly to start jumping to discussions of banned stages already.
Camping and standing on platforms is universal. We're predicting based on things that are certain. There is no way that Brawl will have eliminated all ways to take advantage of stages in unfair ways, i.e. Camping on the bottom platform, and other things that make them inherently unfair.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This is just me, but I think Delfino Plaza should be nutural. Because in Mute City, you have a damaging floor and moving cars. Rainbow Ride is nutural so moving alone wouldn't make it any less unfair then another course.

Salaad

Smash Ace
I think Skyworld should be Counter pickable..(I think a lot of stages in Brawl will be like that). Delfino Plaza should be Neutral because there seem to be no interruptions, so I don't see why not. We also don't know how the platforms of Skyworld will break, if you have to Dtilt or Dsmash, Meteor Smash etc.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
UPDATE (7/25/07)

SkyWorld: Legal for counterpicks only. Banned. According to the new update, players can be sent down through the clouds that appear after the platforms are destroyed. This differes from the Nintendo World Trailer, but keep in mind that that trailer is very old and the stage was most likely not finished yet. If the clouds cannot be reliably stood on, then this becomes a very unfair stage. Also, the new update also revealed a lower platforms that couldn't be clearly seen in the Nintendo World Trailer. This seperate platform would likely create a very advantagous camping spot, ala Kongo Jungle in Melee (the Rock).
How is the disappearing stage unfair if it affects everyone with the same handicap? Annoying? Yes. But unfair? Not unless it gives certain players an advantage over others. At least that's how I see it.

But I think you're probably right about the camping thing. Though I think I'll reserve final judgement until I get my hands on the game.

Great thread. Keep up the good work. :)

mrbrightside

Smash Cadet
Well you can't make judgments about aerial play yet. Remember Sakurai said he is trying to make the game focus more on aerial than in the previous two installments. We'll have to wait and see some more action from this stage before passing judgment from a handful of screens.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Skyworld will probably be banned due to camping on that bottom platform. Think about it. It forces your opponent to attack from above, and just before they land, you can destroy the platform, recover, and leave your opponent high and dry.

In Link's case though, if someone camped there, he could toss a bomb from above and blow up the platform forcing his opponent to make a recovery (assuming bombs can break the platform).

Salaad

Smash Ace
That's why you should get kicked if you camp....Plus the match is timed so if you're camping and losing....ROFL..

Linari Sabre

Smash Apprentice
This camping thing it seemed kind of ridiculous about skyworld level just check out the layout below the MAIN platform and it really seem that air battles are really influnence for the level

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
I think sky world is a great stage. You can stand on the clouds after they recover. I think it'd be reall instresting. its probably goin to be a counter pick stage.

Top Bottom