• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predict where our favorite hedgehog will end up on the bottom tier!

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Digital Angel is a troll, I think.

Emblem Lord, I have been. Except for utilt, which I have a harder time incorporating. I guess I could do more of dtilt to utilt combo'ing, but it's hard to remember. Ftilt is my favourite thing in the world currently, though. =D

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
U-tilt is w/e. It's damage is really good, but I find it hard to hit with.

But his d-tilt is too good for spacing. Just d-tilt ***** and then bust out a dash. Use d-tilt to close distance while masking your intentions.

F-tilt is good with damage and very very safe.

I heard Sonic can aim it too? If he can then his f-tilt will easily be his best move pretty much IMO.

spindash

Smash Ace
Regardless of where Sonic ends up on the tier list, that's not gonna stop me from using him.

You're looking at the future top Sonic main of the world here.

Sonic is easily a middle tier character at the lowest, high at the most; from my observations and playing as him. His lack of KO moves is easily skimmed over as you learn to keep pressure on others, which Sonic's speed REALLY helps him do.

Hey, if Kage can be confident and almighty about being the best Ganondorf in Canada, then I can keep high hopes as the top Sonic player. XD! Pardon if I come off as cocky though. Lucky! I'm pretty sure you've gotten a lot of praise on what you can do with your Sonic, as well as some other fine users.

Just wanted to extend my own praise to ya. Wicked Sonic, man. And if you've improved like you said you did? Hooboy; that'll be fun to fight against someday.

Oh. And also. Fail thread is fail. Sonic bottom tier? I think not. :p

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
If you can, it's a really small angle, and only upwards.

Ftilt has ridiculous range. Lucas' only move that can match it is his grab.

Never thought about dashing after a dtilt. Like... I've kinda done it, but never dtilt to set them up for a grab. That sounds really good. Either way, dash-cancelling into tilts is too good.

EDIT: lol canada

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Dude.

D-tilt to d-tilt, to d-tilt to d-tilt to dash shield/spot dodge/ grab /short hop Fair/ f-tilt w/e you want.

It's amazing.

Plus since you move forward it pressures your opponent. And you aren't that vulenrable since it has decent priority, and it ends quickly, so they can try to attack at thier own risk.

Someone needs to start using this strat.

I do it with Marth and it's really ghey....I mean effective. lol.

spindash

Smash Ace

Never thought about dashing after a dtilt. Like... I've kinda done it, but never dtilt to set them up for a grab. That sounds really good. Either way, dash-cancelling into tilts is too good.

We're a crazy bunch, eh?

As I help boost the stereotype.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I loved the crew you guys brought down for OC3. Even if PKM Vodka did get 3 stocked by CO's Luigi.

Seriously, Canada is great. I love you guys.

LuCKy

Smash Master

if small stuff like this surprises you my guide should do wonders ^___^

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
if i play enough i think ill do it thursday.....and just keep updating it
Ohhh, please do! And don't worry about %s, we've already got at least one comprehensive damage layout on these forums, so just do what you love. I.e. show us how to **** with Sonic.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
bottom teir unrealistic? I guess it depends on how many teirs there are.... right now, I think the game is too young to have more than a basic Tob bottom and middle... and that would put sonic bottom I think... at least with how he is now... but I mean Top teir? come on... really how do you figure... honestly I can't see how you'd bump that many charcters below him... especially if you hvae more than 3 teirs in your mind...

as for his tilts.. they are good to be sure.... but if anyone's overexaggerating, it's emblem lord... they aren't his bect moves by a longshot... the Utilt is okay if you haven't used it yet/much... same for the Ftilt... it's a great poking move... and the Dtilt makes a decent approach... I wish it was bigger or quicker though... the tilts are good, but they are a long way from saving sonic.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Sonic has some pretty amazing tilts, imho.

I could definitely see him being bottom in the first tier list. It wouldn't surprise me at all. I predict mid to high for final, but that's just me. Pichu is like, the only fast character ever in the smash series to really be ranked low, and that's because of his atrocious range and weight, I think.

if small stuff like this surprises you my guide should do wonders ^___^
Can't wait. Personally, I'd like to brainstorm with you via AIM/MSN. You get to play So-Cal, and some of the players there are wicked creative. Hell, you get to play Mango.

Lololol, you and Mango were the ones that took BlueMycon and myself outta the teams tournament at OC3. I didn't know who you guys were back then, so I thought that he was just being a huge failure, and got pissed at him for getting owned so much. XD At least, I think you were teamed with Mango then.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
but melee and brawl are really different... I don't think being fast is enough... I mean falcon's fast and he's viable for worst.

but you are right... I can definitely see sonic moving about in the teir list some... but I'll bet he'll start out low.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Falcon is nowhere near as fast as Sonic. Also, he get gimped easily, has a hard time following up anything with anything more than a uair, and just... got hit with the nerf bat really bad.

Being fast ~kinda~ held true for 64, too. Link was slow, and had horrible recovery. That and he didn't have the amazing combos everyone else did.

Recovery is a huge factor in tiers, and Sonic has it in spades.

Lolol, we're gonna be doing this for the next 4 years, seriously. XD

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
only thing I don't like about sonic's recover is that it's edgehogged easily.

but yeas, in almost all fighing games, speed, range and combos are BIG... but... speed isn't everything and I don't think it makes sonic awesome by default... it just prevents him from being awful

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I don't think he'll be top tier, but mid is what I'm thinking. Possibly high-mid. Lower end of high, if he's lucky.

People should test this to see if I'm imagining things. Mash the b button when you're doing the homing attack. Tell me if it goes quicker, or, since you're doing something, it just seems to.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
To Sonic the Hedgedawg and Interim, two interesting notes:

"only thing I don't like about sonic's recover is that it's edgehogged easily."

I just found this today, its from the same SonicOrochi guy that plays against CPUs.

In a video against Fox he says:
"0:42 - too bad Fox didn't try to edgehog me. I'd then show that it's possible to use the footstool (or whatever it's called) jump off someone who's grabbing the ledge, making Sonic one of the few that can't really be edgehogged so easily."

Here's the vid: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nFSTci5JpqM

Apparently, if the footstool jump is used, then bye bye edgehoggynes against sonic! ;)

To Interim:

"People should test this to see if I'm imagining things. Mash the b button when you're doing the homing attack. Tell me if it goes quicker, or, since you're doing something, it just seems to."

In another Orochi vs. Fox vid, he says:

"When you play the game, you'll notice that the CPU cheats with sidestepping, air dodge and the Reflector. It's possible to use 2 timings with the Homing Attack: fast or slow. It doesn't matter which you choose, the CPU will always avoid it if it feels like doing so. It's really annoying."

so I guess that confirms you!! :chuckle:

This Orochi guy seems to be turning out to be quite important for Sonic mainers! Even if he does play against CPUs, he seems to play very smartly and is creative in his technique.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm thinking something like this

Yoshi
Sonic
DK
Bowser
Bowser and Dk will NOT be bottom tier. Sonic wont either, it's just, I dont think he's been figured out well enough yet.

Sadly however, it looks like Yoshi IS bottom tier. Poor Yoshi.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
To Sonic the Hedgedawg and Interim, two interesting notes:

"only thing I don't like about sonic's recover is that it's edgehogged easily."

I just found this today, its from the same SonicOrochi guy that plays against CPUs.

In a video against Fox he says:
"0:42 - too bad Fox didn't try to edgehog me. I'd then show that it's possible to use the footstool (or whatever it's called) jump off someone who's grabbing the ledge, making Sonic one of the few that can't really be edgehogged so easily."
umm.. sorry but this guy is wrong. I mean.. you might be able to footstool jump someone trying to edgehog, I'm not questioning that, but:
A) that's only if you are already above them so that you don't need help recovering.
B) you can't footstool jump afterf an Up+B
C) that wouldn't be a sonic specific move

so.. this doesn't really improve sonic's recovery at all

the problem is, if you are way low and need to grab to survive, sonic's up+B doesn't attack so it won't clear an edgehog... and if YOU attack out of it, he can't grab while he's attacking... so it'a a lose-lose.

edit: and bowser and DK easily COULD BE bottom teir... it's not certain or anything... but have you seen anything that will definitely keep them out?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
"the problem is, if you are way low and need to grab to survive, sonic's up+B doesn't attack so it won't clear an edgehog... and if YOU attack out of it, he can't grab while he's attacking... so it'a a lose-lose."

I see your point in this situation, if you were too low. But from the sound of it he has already successfully tried this out before. I don't mean to contradict you, having played the game, but are you sure you cant footstool with sonic after an upb? His upb seems to work quite differently from most recovery moves.

Maybe someone could test it?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Increase your chance of tripping.

HOORAY!!!!!!

*Goes off to kill Sakurai

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Increase your chance of tripping.

HOORAY!!!!!!

*Goes off to kill Sakurai

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I'd like a few more people to confirm this for me. The Orochi guy is meh, at best. Sonic would need a jump to footstool, methinks.

As an aside, just do uair. Unless you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaay below the stage, you should be able to uair in time after the up+b and still catch the edge. Maybe nair. I've never really had problems being edgehogged, though.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
"I'd like a few more people to confirm this for me. The Orochi guy is meh, at best. Sonic would need a jump to footstool, methinks."

Well watch some vids of Sonic in general on youtube, ive definately seen sonic's homing attack startup lag vary greatly. I'm to tired to search myself :p

But yes, someone confirming would be awesome.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I want in on these AIM/MSN conversations!

I really like how stutter-stepping makes Sonic's game more godly and stuff. I shed tears of happiness and awesome
sonic isn't godly to begin with... so this does not increase godliness... I really need to see it in action.. I mean... I really can't say how useful it is.... but at the very least, it'll make our blue ball keep tripping <_<

@ zeal... yeah... it's only if you are way low.... OR way horizontal with no jumps except Up+ B left.... then you are sunk. so this can happen a lot with failed edgeguards I think.. I mean... if we can find an attack he can grab out of quickly, great, but I've died a few times by having the hedgehog edgehogged

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
lmfao@ those last two words. If you're really horizontal with no jumps, why not do a few homing attacks to get back? You should almost never be knocked at an angle below the stage, as long as you DI right. Zelda's dsmash seems to be an exception.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
lmfao@ those last two words. If you're really horizontal with no jumps, why not do a few homing attacks to get back? You should almost never be knocked at an angle below the stage, as long as you DI right. Zelda's dsmash seems to be an exception.
well I mean... th ehoming attack won't completely fix the problem... if you were way too far horizontal, after the homing attacks, you'll be to low right? but you are right, only a few attacks or a botched edgeguard should put you in that position

LuCKy

Smash Master
Sonic has some pretty amazing tilts, imho.

I could definitely see him being bottom in the first tier list. It wouldn't surprise me at all. I predict mid to high for final, but that's just me. Pichu is like, the only fast character ever in the smash series to really be ranked low, and that's because of his atrocious range and weight, I think.

Can't wait. Personally, I'd like to brainstorm with you via AIM/MSN. You get to play So-Cal, and some of the players there are wicked creative. Hell, you get to play Mango.

Lololol, you and Mango were the ones that took BlueMycon and myself outta the teams tournament at OC3. I didn't know who you guys were back then, so I thought that he was just being a huge failure, and got pissed at him for getting owned so much. XD At least, I think you were teamed with Mango then.
sure man im on aim like whenever im home lol

thelegendofLuCKy

and yea me and mango teamed at oc3 lol

Top Bottom