• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
I have been recently practicing my Falco tech skill, and one of the hardest things for me is jump-canceling my shines. I watch tons of videos of falcos and they jump cancel shines so fast. I can do it pretty fast with tap jump, but with tap jump I can't waveshine or short hop. Is there a secret way I should hold my controller? Should I have my thumb in-between b and y?

tl;dr How can I jump cancel my shines better?
It's really something that's you need to find out works best for you. Some people like doing it with tap-jump, others have their thumb touching both y and b, some slide their finger between the two, some people even use x. I would suggest messing around with a few ways of doing it, finding what is most comfortable for you to do, then grind it out until you can get it fast enough.

DarkBowser555

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkBowser555
3DS FC
3153-4545-2492
It's really something that's you need to find out works best for you. Some people like doing it with tap-jump, others have their thumb touching both y and b, some slide their finger between the two, some people even use x. I would suggest messing around with a few ways of doing it, finding what is most comfortable for you to do, then grind it out until you can get it fast enough.
Thanks for the suggestion! I guess I'll just have to practice more then. On and off for a few weeks now I've been mainly practicing my shffl'd aerial approaches, SHL, wavedashing/wave landing, and jump canceling shines.

Do you have any recommendations for any other Falco ATs I should practice?

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
Thanks for the suggestion! I guess I'll just have to practice more then. On and off for a few weeks now I've been mainly practicing my shffl'd aerial approaches, SHL, wavedashing/wave landing, and jump canceling shines.

Do you have any recommendations for any other Falco ATs I should practice?
I'm still a pretty new Falco myself, but just getting all your movement stuff down so that you can keep combos going is probably the biggest thing. A lot of that is just a combination of other techniques as well, like waveshining, or shine wavelanding onto platforms. Those kind of things will probably be what you use most so it's important to try and get that stuff down before you move onto harder, more situational techs.

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
Dont have my gamecube so cant practice but how useful is the shine to stop your momentum when you just got hit off stage. Do the pros use it alot?

Whats faster? Shorthop fastfall or Shorthop fastfall L cancel? No attacks just an empty jump. Im guessing L-cancelling doesnt do anything in this scenario but just want to make sure

Last edited:

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
Dont have my gamecube so cant practice but how useful is the shine to stop your momentum when you just got hit off stage. Do the pros use it alot?

Whats faster? Shorthop fastfall or Shorthop fastfall L cancel? No attacks just an empty jump.
Shine doesn't actually stop the momentum when you get hit off stage. You can only L-cancel aerial attacks while they are in their animations so L-canceling nothing won't do anything, in fact you'll probably just end up air dodging.

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
Shine doesn't actually stop the momentum when you get hit off stage. You can only L-cancel aerial attacks while they are in their animations so L-canceling nothing won't do anything, in fact you'll probably just end up air dodging.
Cool, thanks.

Awesome that you play Falco in every game. Commitment

Bones0

Smash Legend
I have been recently practicing my Falco tech skill, and one of the hardest things for me is jump-canceling my shines. I watch tons of videos of falcos and they jump cancel shines so fast. I can do it pretty fast with tap jump, but with tap jump I can't waveshine or short hop. Is there a secret way I should hold my controller? Should I have my thumb in-between b and y?

tl;dr How can I jump cancel my shines better?
Tap jump buffers for a few frames, so you can not rely on it to jump cancel shines for things that require strict followup timings. For instance, I tap jump when I shine-bair people in the air because there is no downside to jump asap with the bair. If I bair a little late, it will still hit, but tap jumping ensures that I have the maximum number of bair inputs available for me to use.

If you are trying to waveshine when pillar comboing someone, you won't always be able to accurately gauge how much hitlag you will have or whether you have any at all in case you miss. Because of this variable timing on when you are able to jump cancel, your airdodge may be too late if you overestimated the frames. If you always use Y to airdodge, you don't have to worry about timing your airdodge on the 6th frame after your shine ends. You just have to know the timing relation between your Y press and your airdodge.

JCBeef

Smash Rookie
Ayyy @ Bones0 Bones0 at S@X the commentators were saying you were really good at the Marth match up. Do you have any insight on this match up? What's your "gameplan" going against a Marth?

Jackson

Smash Lord
So, I've been working on Shine to Bairs/Dairs (the midair instant one). I can do it about 50% of the time. For some reason it works more when I short hop the shine into Bair really low to the ground (yes, I know this is bad against real opponents), but when I attempt it high up in the air I often just get stuck in my shine. Can someone give me insight into how I am mistiming the instant shine bair if i keep getting stuck in shine?

xman

Smash Cadet
So, I've been working on Shine to Bairs/Dairs (the midair instant one). I can do it about 50% of the time. For some reason it works more when I short hop the shine into Bair really low to the ground (yes, I know this is bad against real opponents), but when I attempt it high up in the air I often just get stuck in my shine. Can someone give me insight into how I am mistiming the instant shine bair if i keep getting stuck in shine?
Are you using tap jump x or y?

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice
When you're in the air, and trying to shine -> Dair, try hitting them with the bottom of your shine.

Most Falcos make the mistake of hitting with the top of the shine (because they're just trying to hit their opponent asap) but when you do this, your dair won't connect.

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking, but I hope I helped. :)

Jackson

Smash Lord
When you're in the air, and trying to shine -> Dair, try hitting them with the bottom of your shine.

Most Falcos make the mistake of hitting with the top of the shine (because they're just trying to hit their opponent asap) but when you do this, your dair won't connect.

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking, but I hope I helped. :)
Ah, thanks for the advice, but it wasn't, haha. I just mean actually DOING the aerial when you hit them with the shine in midair instead of just getting stuck in shine.

noobird

Smash Journeyman
you're trying to jump out of shine too fast. the timing is different when you're hitting something with your shine rather than just air

JCBeef

Smash Rookie
@ Jackson Jackson what' s weird is that you can do it low from a short hop but not high in the air so I'm assuming that you are running at the opponent (holding right for example) and then I'm assuming you "roll" sort of to the tap jump position so you have no real opportunity to get stuck cause you don't turn around. So idk maybe try still doing tap jump but doing it slightly up and to the right if you're facing right. Idk if that helps lol

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
@ Jackson Jackson what' s weird is that you can do it low from a short hop but not high in the air so I'm assuming that you are running at the opponent (holding right for example) and then I'm assuming you "roll" sort of to the tap jump position so you have no real opportunity to get stuck cause you don't turn around. So idk maybe try still doing tap jump but doing it slightly up and to the right if you're facing right. Idk if that helps lol
Thanks dude, that actually makes sense. I'll try it out.

xman

Smash Cadet
Try one of the jump buttons. It may be hard at first and out of a comfort zone but you don't have to deal with the Tap jump thresholds and its a more guaranteed jump, once you get used to it there's a less chance of messing up.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Try one of the jump buttons. It may be hard at first and out of a comfort zone but you don't have to deal with the Tap jump thresholds and its a more guaranteed jump, once you get used to it there's a less chance of messing up.
I might attempt it, but the reason I used tap jump for the technique anyway was because I couldnt previously do it with X fast enough. But you know, if I can double shine with X, maybe I can do it.

Jackson

Smash Lord
I might attempt it, but the reason I used tap jump for the technique anyway was because I couldnt previously do it with X fast enough. But you know, if I can double shine with X, maybe I can do it.

Edit: sorry for double post, there was some server glitch.

Last edited:

xman

Smash Cadet

Edit: sorry for double post, there was some server glitch.
Yeah man go for it. If your having trouble you can always jump a little more towards above Your opponent to shine and give you a couple more frames to dish out the bair and since your using a jump button just slide it to A that's what I do

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
My paragraph further up on this page explains why tap jump is superior for quick shine-bairs/dairs in the air, though you can certainly do it almost as quickly with Y. A small problem is that if your shine is stale, it does less damage and therefore has less hitlag, so unless you are calculating the hitlag based on your shine's damage in your head, you will be jumping too slowly with Y whereas tap jump buffers for that small discrepancy and you don't have to worry about timing anything except the aerial.

Jackson

Smash Lord
My paragraph further up on this page explains why tap jump is superior for quick shine-bairs/dairs in the air, though you can certainly do it almost as quickly with Y. A small problem is that if your shine is stale, it does less damage and therefore has less hitlag, so unless you are calculating the hitlag based on your shine's damage in your head, you will be jumping too slowly with Y whereas tap jump buffers for that small discrepancy and you don't have to worry about timing anything except the aerial.
Yeah, I tried X and I've come to the conclusion it's too slow and akward for the technique (and I cannot use Y for anything). I'm going back to tap jump and I'm just gonna have to get the timing down.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. If I may, another question: how does one perform Falco's moonwalk? I hear it's pretty strange and difficult. And yes, I know it doesn't really have a point, but I love flashy/funny looking techs.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yeah, I tried X and I've come to the conclusion it's too slow and akward for the technique (and I cannot use Y for anything). I'm going back to tap jump and I'm just gonna have to get the timing down.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. If I may, another question: how does one perform Falco's moonwalk? I hear it's pretty strange and difficult. And yes, I know it doesn't really have a point, but I love flashy/funny looking techs.
The input to moonwalk is virtually the same for everyone. The only difference is some chars get better moonwalks from a DD while others should walk or WD to get the initial momentum. For Falco, the best method is to do it from a walk.

Jackson

Smash Lord
The input to moonwalk is virtually the same for everyone. The only difference is some chars get better moonwalks from a DD while others should walk or WD to get the initial momentum. For Falco, the best method is to do it from a walk.
Ok: so I should walk in one direction, then dash the other way and bring the control stick to the other side in that weird half circle motion?

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
I have a question for @ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee or @WestBallz if they come around here (or anyone that thinks he could help, really) D:
I see you guys are often successfully using jabs to pressure your opponents' shields. I know jabs are a bad choice against Marth, because his grab range is huge and he can also abuse other tools (SH Fair, Nair, counter etc.), but I often get punished by other characters as well for jabbing their shields. So I was wondering: why aren't you guys getting punished so often for that? Is it just a matter of conditioning and feeling when your opponent will be too scared to react, or is there more behind it? Like spacing or something else?
Thanks <3

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Kinda hard to explain but if you're prettttty sure they won't attack then it's a good way to make them change their minds about that since they COULD HAVE punished the jab lol.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Kinda hard to explain but if you're prettttty sure they won't attack then it's a good way to make them change their minds about that since they COULD HAVE punished the jab lol.
Hey PPMD! You're my favorite melee player and my inspiration with Falco. It's awesome to see you around here. I was wondering; how long did it take you to really get your Falco to a point where you felt that you had all your techniques down and you played him fluidly? As in, since you started playing Melee.

I'm curious about it because I seem to be progressing slowly and I'm wondering how it was for you.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey well thanks!

I think it took me maybe a month...ish of playing before I got him down to where I liked him as a secondary. When I played him more seriously it took longer.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Hey well thanks!

I think it took me maybe a month...ish of playing before I got him down to where I liked him as a secondary. When I played him more seriously it took longer.
Makes sense. It feels like with spacies in general there's always something more to learn or improve at. For now, I'm satisfied that I'm starting to get waveshining and essential stuff down. I think I started playing Melee about a month ago or so. I mainly want to have a really strong combo game because that's what makes Melee fun!

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
Makes sense. It feels like with spacies in general there's always something more to learn or improve at. For now, I'm satisfied that I'm starting to get waveshining and essential stuff down. I think I started playing Melee about a month ago or so. I mainly want to have a really strong combo game because that's what makes Melee fun!
Combos are hype, but consider that you won't get combos as often if your neutral game is weaker.

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
I see, thanks :D
So it's basically a mid risk mix-up, like when you just waveshine into your opponent's shield as if it was 2006, just to make him do stupid things you can punish the next time x)

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
The only difference is some chars get better moonwalks from a DD
Except no char gains anything from dding before moonwalk, since turn from dash always cancels momentum. And all chars gain speed from walking before moonwalk, it's just that for example with falcon the walk speed is too slow to matter.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Except no char gains anything from dding before moonwalk, since turn from dash always cancels momentum. And all chars gain speed from walking before moonwalk, it's just that for example with falcon the walk speed is too slow to matter.
Falcon definitely gets way more momentum in moonwalks from a DD than he does from walking, which you said in the very next sentence, so I'm confused what you're even saying...

xman

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I finally got the timing for shine OoS but I can't time it well against other people I play without rumble does rumble help a lot when it comes to that?

Top Bottom