• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Alright, can we please stop referring to Dr. Mario and Dark Pit as clones when we literally know NOTHING of their playstyle in this game?
Yes. Hell, Dark Pit will probably be a semi-clone. Doesn't his render have him holding the Dark Pit staff as opposed to a bow like Pit? and Doc had better have the tornado

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Apparently Mewtwo is in but Ridley is a stage hazard (not like he would have worked anyways lol) K. Rool isn't at all which sucks. But "Mario-in-a-coat" gives him his master race tornado attack Duck Hunt is a great retro character and "Marth-in-a-wig" is a nice bonus for having Robin in the game.
Source?

DuckHuntFTW

Smash Cadet
You people do realize that because the leaks real there will be no more character reveals until after the jpn release.

D

Deleted member

Yes. Hell, Dark Pit will probably be a semi-clone. Doesn't his render have him holding the Dark Pit staff as opposed to a bow like Pit? and Doc had better have the tornado
From what I understand, Kid Icarus: Uprising had a multitude of weapons to choose from, so it wouldn't surprise me if Dark Pit had something unique. Also I think Doc would get the Tornado....because why the heck not?

Bonren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bonren
3DS FC
1564-2345-5130
Does anyone have a source of the leaker saying this is the final roster?

skyluigi2

Smash Rookie
NNID
skyluigi
3DS FC
5069-3912-3062
Alright, can we please stop referring to Dr. Mario and Dark Pit as clones when we literally know NOTHING of their playstyle in this game?
Tell me about it. Chances are good they're completely different to the characters they're supposedly clones of. That said, there's no way of knowing either way, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Tell me about it. Chances are good they're completely different to the characters they're supposedly clones of. That said, there's no way of knowing either way, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Oh yeah, I forgot how when Mario holds a stethoscope he because a completely different character entirely.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Even if they're not too different at first glance, I'm sure they'll differentiate themselves as we experiment. Remember, if clones were the exact same, Roy would be good.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, I forgot how when Mario holds a stethoscope he because a completely different character entirely.
He could if his moveset was made that way :troll: If Dr. Mario swung his stethoscope around, he'd have a completely different moveset from Mario.

Last edited by a moderator:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
as I heard a while ago, Kraid and K.Rool is boss enemies in Smash Run! heard it from a friend from this years E3. he accentantly said that without stopping himself. but lets see if thats true or not once the game is release!

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
You people do realize that because the leaks real there will be no more character reveals until after the jpn release.
In terms of character reveals, Sakurai will likely continue to act as if the leak had not happened. Creating those newcomer videos takes a lot of time, they're not going to scrap them just because of a leak.

sillyjeff

Smash Rookie
NNID
sillyjeff
The leak is real, the roster is full. No Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo. Instead: Mario-in-coat, Duck-and-bird, and Marth-with-wig. Rostergate 2014 is definitive. Sakurai and Namco should be ashamed of the awful choices in making this vomit of a roster select screen.
Wow, I guess you really see no character you like on there. It's too bad that in a roster of 52, you can't find a single character you like. (if we're taking clones out of the equation, there's still 49 to choose from)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I didn't know Link and Marth had a move where they thrust forward an unopened weapon, then open it into a laser beam and sheathe it afterwards, or a spinning sword sweep across the ground. Seriously, sharing one or two moves and people are calling someone a clone is just ridiculous.
One of my issue is exactly that. Fighters, fictional and real, will share at least one move. Just look at say, Muay Thai and Boxing. Both have jabs and straights. Does that mean a Muay Thai fighter and Boxer are clones of each other? Hell no.

Take Baek Doo San and Hwoarang from Tekken. Both are Taekwondo fighters and Hwoarang's a student of Baek. They fight similarly, but have different play styles and their own unique flair. Baek is an old school fighter who uses more hand techniques than Hwoarang. Also, he doesn't switch his stance. Baek seems more straightforward and traditional. Hwoarang fights more deceptively and uses kicks almost all the time with little punches. Plus, he has a bit more flashy moves. One martial arts style, two fighters, and two different approaches to fighting.

Tons of characters in Super Smash Bros. share the flying side kick. Fox does it for dash attacks, Link has it for a nair, Zelda has it for a fair, Sheik has a modified one for a nair, Luigi has one for a nair, etc - it's been a long time, so I don't remember all of them. Does that mean all of them are clones? No. Wolf's smashes and normals are mostly different compared to Fox and Falco, but he shares similar specials. I mean, what the hell is he going to do? He's from the same universe, with the same technology, but using variants, and fights with his claws and feet instead of his fists, tail, and feet like Fox or feather-fists, feet, beak, and tail like Falco. Now, if we were talking about Krystal who's first appearance involved using a staff that could fire fireballs, spray ice, launch the user, create shields, and create quakes, then that would be totally unacceptable if she was basically a female Fox.

There's only so much you can do with a sword. What's a swordsman gonna do besides swing vertically, diagonally, horizontally, and stab with the sword? He could add martial arts, perform flourishes, or if he's lucky send out sword beams. Luckily, Link has his items, Marth fights like a fencer, Ike has a magical flaming sword and fights like a brawler, and Shulk's sword has laser beam-thingies - never played Xenoblade Chronicles so I don't really know.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I don't know why everybody is so down on the roster. As people have said the leaker himself said not everyone is unlocked, and we still don't know for sure what the complete roster will look right. Just chillax people in about 2 weeks we will probly know who is on the roster but until everything is officially confirmed it is no use getting angry.

DuckHuntFTW

Smash Cadet
Only a few more weeks and all the naysayers will be beging for forgiveness.

Only a few more weeks and all the naysayers will be beging for forgiveness.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
In terms of character reveals, Sakurai will likely continue to act as if the leak had not happened. Creating those newcomer videos takes a lot of time, they're not going to scrap them just because of a leak.
So that explains why he's just been showing off menu stuff? I honestly think the guy is blowing off steam because he refused to show off his characters before they were leaked.
:p I used to feel bad for him, but honestly, it's on him for the delay of information. He should of seen this coming.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
One of my issue is exactly that. Fighters, fictional and real, will share at least one move. Just look at say, Muay Thai and Boxing. Both have jabs and straights. Does that mean a Muay Thai fighter and Boxer are clones of each other? Hell no.

Take Baek Doo San and Hwoarang from Tekken. Both are Taekwondo fighters and Hwoarang's a student of Baek. They fight similarly, but have different play styles and their own unique flair. Baek is an old school fighter who uses more hand techniques than Hwoarang. Also, he doesn't switch his stance. Baek seems more straightforward and traditional. Hwoarang fights more deceptively and uses kicks almost all the time with little punches. Plus, he has a bit more flashy moves. One martial arts style, two fighters, and two different approaches to fighting.

Tons of characters in Super Smash Bros. share the flying side kick. Fox does it for dash attacks, Link has it for a nair, Zelda has it for a fair, Sheik has a modified one for a nair, Luigi has one for a nair, etc - it's been a long time, so I don't remember all of them. Does that mean all of them are clones? No. Wolf's smashes and normals are mostly different compared to Fox and Falco, but he shares similar specials. I mean, what the hell is he going to do? He's from the same universe, with the same technology, but using variants, and fights with his claws and feet instead of his fists, tail, and feet like Fox or feather-fists, feet, beak, and tail like Falco. Now, if we were talking about Krystal who's first appearance involved using a staff that could fire fireballs, spray ice, launch the user, create shields, and create quakes, then that would be totally unacceptable if she was basically a female Fox.

There's only so much you can do with a sword. What's a swordsman gonna do besides swing vertically, diagonally, horizontally, and stab with the sword? He could add martial arts, perform flourishes, or if he's lucky send out sword beams. Luckily, Link has his items, Marth fights like a fencer, Ike has a magical flaming sword and fights like a brawler, and Shulk's sword has laser beam-thingies - never played Xenoblade Chronicles so I don't really know.
shulk in xenoblade could give buffs with his sword and his other skills used positioning to be used to there full effect, hitting from the side or behind

So that explains why he's just been showing off menu stuff? I honestly think the guy is blowing off steam because he refused to show off his characters before they were leaked.
:p I used to feel bad for him, but honestly, it's on him for the delay of information. He should of seen this coming.
i fail to see how it is his fault, the person who leaked it broke an agreement to not do that, its kind of a given that most people want to trust people they work with

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Luckily, Link has his items, Marth fights like a fencer, Ike has a magical flaming sword and fights like a brawler, and Shulk's sword has laser beam-thingies - never played Xenoblade Chronicles so I don't really know.
Shulk's sword is basically a laser sword. Something of note about Shulk's swordplay compared to everyone else is that he appears to stab much more than everyone else. (at least in Smash) Of the attacks we've seen, many of them are stabs. The up stab thing, forward stab thing, and downward air stab thing. And even though he'll likely have some slashes here and there, they will animate completely different due to Shulk's stance. Link and Marth hold their swords down, and Ike holds his horizontally. Shulk's is strapped to his back, sheathed/unopened when not being used to attack.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
I don't think it's so black and white though. If Lucina wasn't in Awakening, the odds of Roy making it in Smash 4 would not have increased. I think her character dictated half of her inclusion. I don't think Sakurai sat around saying, "a Marth clone is essential!" Rather, Lucina just happened to fit his clone bill perfectly.

THOUGH, Doc is back, so this could be argued in Roy's favor.
Yes, of course the character itself is a important thing, since there is the fan factor that is probably something that is taken in consideration in the choice of the roster.
While I understand what you said, what I meant can't be applied for clones I guess, since they don't bring anything new in essence. Lucina's case was 'special' by what I read, and I don't know how this may affect Dr. and Roy.

DuckHuntFTW

Smash Cadet
Yes they will ts called marketing. If they spoil the fact that the lek 8is true most f 5the buzz surrounding smash would be lost.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Can we just make a roster complaint thread? It's so annoying trying to sift through all these posts begging for their favorite characters, or saying how much they hate the roster without x, y, or z. It really doesn't pertain to what this thread is about at all.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Shulk's sword is basically a laser sword. Something of note about Shulk's swordplay compared to everyone else is that he appears to stab much more than everyone else. (at least in Smash) Of the attacks we've seen, many of them are stabs. The up stab thing, forward stab thing, and downward air stab thing. And even though he'll likely have some slashes here and there, they will animate completely different due to Shulk's stance. Link and Marth hold their swords down, and Ike holds his horizontally. Shulk's is strapped to his back, sheathed/unopened when not being used to attack.
im hoping he gets some kinda ability or has a move or two that do more when he hits from behind. his playstyle is that of a rouge kinda character

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
As many positive additions [Mac, Robin, Duck Hunt, WFT, Pac Man. etc] and negative additions [Doc...kind of. Dark Pit] this roster has given us, there really IS no excuse for Sakurai to not include any of the Hype 3, if there's a tiny chance this aint the final roster. Which it isn't.

But if it is...literally no excuse not to include one of them, Ridley K Rool or Mewtwo. Ridley I can understand to an extent, but not really K Rool or Mewtwo. Especially when every 1/4 people want Mewtwo and DK is such a high selling franchise with only 2 reps and a lack of villains.

Just my 2 cents though. Roster as is gets a 7.5/10.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yes, I recall when Marth and Link both fired lasers.

If you've not seen the gifs of Shulk's moveset please stop. He's nowhere even NEAR a clone.

And we've seen more than two moves.
I've only seen the Shulk videos once, and I can only remember seeing an Air Slash like Marth's and a spinning move like Link's.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
As many positive additions [Mac, Robin, Duck Hunt, WFT, Pac Man. etc] and negative additions [Doc...kind of. Dark Pit] this roster has given us, there really IS no excuse for Sakurai to not include any of the Hype 3, if there's a tiny chance this aint the final roster. Which it isn't.

But if it is...literally no excuse not to include one of them, Ridley K Rool or Mewtwo. Ridley I can understand to an extent, but not really K Rool or Mewtwo. Especially when every 1/4 people want Mewtwo and DK is such a high selling franchise with only 2 reps and a lack of villains.

Just my 2 cents though. Roster as is gets a 7.5/10.
to be fair hype to some is not to others, i for one could care less about those three and would like to see issac or felix more, or if i could put in a huge out there character flynn

I've only seen the Shulk videos once, and I can only remember seeing an Air Slash like Marth's and a spinning move like Link's.
from what we can tell he has a stance switch for his neutral b, and a move called shadow eye for his down by, but i cant tell what it does. also the spinning move is his down smash most likely. his up smash is a new animation along with what appears to be his side smash but people have said it might be his side b

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I haven't posted years, but I feel I should point somethings out.

Donkey Kong and Wario haven't been relevant to Mario for years, outside of spin offs these haven't been in a main Mario game for years. You all remember New Super Mario Bros 2, the perfect game for Wario to appear, didn't. Also spin-offs of Mario are very dubious when it comes to canon. Also none of the Warioware's supporting cast haven't ever appeared in a main Mario game.

Also on Fire Emblem getting 4 reps, try to remember the series has worldwide popular now, where as Metroid does not. Are we even sure Metroid has full western popularity? After all coul possibly only be popular in North America. Altough I will concide kinda weird that Fire Emblem has more reps then Kirby, which is Nintendo's fourth most popular fanchise.

Also on topic I kind of can understand why Lucas coul be cut, he's from Mother which only officaly release in Japan, and the Japanese Mother fanbase oesn't really like Mother 3.

Having Ice Climbers cut really hurts, but having Bowser Jr there is cool, consdering he could've been a Bowser clone. Over all I don't mind this roster, since Rosalina was my most wanted Newcomer, outside of characters who may not have had good chances.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
shulk in xenoblade could give buffs with his sword and his other skills used positioning to be used to there full effect, hitting from the side or behind
Thanks for the info.

Really? Stabbing with that giant blade? If anyone should be stabbing (a lot) it should be Marth. It'd make sense since, for whatever reason, Falchion resembles a sword - not a broadsword, katana, longsword, etc. - or even a short sword in SSB. Generally with short swords and daggers, you'd want to stab more than slash since those kinds of blades don't have that range or lethality to cause a ton of damage with slashing. Hell, the way Ike uses Ragnell, he cleaves, hacks, and crushes which makes sense for a two-handed sword and as a reference to his style. Now I feel like Lucina should have received Marth's moveset since Falchion in Awakening was a bit longer and resembled a longsword and Marth should have received a fencing-styled moveset.

Then again, this is a game and for those that play Devil May Cry, you all know about Dante's infamous stab with a giant blade. Speaking of which, Shulk is now a "wannabe Dante". Trying to look all cool and stuff by not holding his sword and drawing it to start an attack. :p

I expected Shulk to use more of a two-handed stance akin to kendo practitioners.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Ignoring characters for a second, is anyone else's disappointed when it comes to the other content?

-series like Metroid, DK, Sonic and WarioWare only getting old stages from Brawl
-no Event Matches
-no traditional Break the Targets or Board the Platforms
-no Adventure Mode
-no Stage Builder
-several series being snubbed when it comes to content in general (Star Fox in particular got hit hard)
-the drab looking CSS and SSS (though I'll wait and see how the final version looks)
-the menus in general being too Brawl-like (okay I'm being nitpicky here but it still bugs me)

Frankly aside from Falcondorf and no Mewtwo/DK rep, the above is probably far more important to me than the actual roster.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Ignoring characters for a second, is anyone else's disappointed when it comes to the other content?

-series like Metroid, DK, Sonic and WarioWare only getting old stages from Brawl
-no Event Matches
-no Adventure Mode
-no Stage Builder
-several series being snubbed when it comes to content in general (Star Fox in particular got hit hard)
-the drab looking CSS and SSS (though I'll wait and see how the final version looks)
-the menus in general being too Brawl-like (okay I'm being nitpicky here but it still bugs me)

Frankly aside from Falcondorf and no Mewtwo/DK rep, the above is probably far more important to me than the actual roster.
my theory is that the 3ds version is getting a lot of the older stages and the wii u will get the newer ones for the most part, we can see this for metriod at least

DuckHuntFTW

Smash Cadet

-no Event Matches
-no Adventure Mode
-no Stage Builder

There are break the target stages...I seen them in the video.

OMN15145H

Smash Cadet
The leak is real, the roster is full. No Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo. Instead: Mario-in-coat, Duck-and-bird, and Marth-with-wig. Rostergate 2014 is definitive. Sakurai and Namco should be ashamed of the awful choices in making this vomit of a roster select screen.
Go cry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom