• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Do you? I probably just ignore it.
I don't mean to, it's more of you say something and I'm all like "no, ur rong". Not intentional at all.

But enough of that, we've talked about these leaks being real and fake so much that we forgot to talk about something pretty important. The things within the leak, how will characters work? How will these stages work? So much mystery, so much speculation, this is the exciting part, to be honest.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I believe it, but I recognize it could be wrong. I can somewhat buy something and still be skeptical about it. Beyond that, this is absolutely nothing like gematsu; Gematsu was completely text based (and hey, still true if Chorus Men are in!) but this is picture based and has totally survived scrutiny and even been BOLSTERED after several days criticism. A lot harder to make a screen fake, but a lot easier to screw up a small detail.
I'm still a bit skeptical of the Tomodachi Life thing myself, but like I said, I'm keeping an open mind about it.

As for the pictures, the only reasons it's survived scrutiny so long is because most of the 'errors' are either not entirely definitively leak breaking or can be explained away theoretically, and that a lot of the time the 'scrutiny' for picture leaks begins and ends with people looking to see if there was evidence of Photoshop tampering. Of course, anyone can get around that by posting their 'leak' onto a television screen and taking the picture using a cellphone or digital camera, which could be the case here.

At the same time, hey, it could be real and the photographic evidence is just sucky, purposely or accidentally.

The Gematsu Leak isn't too much different from this one, though. It's just that the thing people are clinging to are different.

The Gematsu Leak guessed Wii Fit Trainer, she got revealed hours later and people took it for gospel while completely ignoring perfectly rational arguments to why it might be fake as the months went on.

This leak has a SSS icon for Tomodachi Life that vaguely resembles one in an official screenshot hours later and people are taking it for gospel while completely ignoring perfectly rational arguments to why it might be fake as the days went on.

It's just all kind of aligning a little too similarly for me, and the last time I was skeptical of a leak that everyone agreed was real, I turned out to be right. Not saying 'Ha, I was right all along!' and rubbing it in anyone's face, it's just given me reason to be skeptical about things even when there's seemingly evidence for something being real.

Last edited:

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
Shulk being in the game is extremely likely whether or not we believe the leak. Even a confirmation of Shulk as playable would only be points for the leak if his portrait lines up.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
I don't mean to, it's more of you say something and I'm all like "no, ur rong". Not intentional at all.

But enough of that, we've talked about these leaks being real and fake so much that we forgot to talk about something pretty important. The things within the leak, how will characters work? How will these stages work? So much mystery, so much speculation, this is the exciting part, to be honest.
Save this post. I'm calling it now, Duck Hunt Dog will be banned everywhere due to his inevitable taunt.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
What if, to keep this CSS consistent, Ridley shows up as a Charizard clone?

...could be an equally bad thought as him being teased as a boss... for a whole year. But somebody theorized Ridley can't make it because the way the CSS would be displaced if he were to show up and not certain other characters instead. But how does it rearrange if everyone's unlocked?

Also in regards to Gematsu, he clearly had inside info... at precisely one point, and that was E32013. He fed Sal Romano lucky guesses for possible spotlight after that.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'm still a bit skeptical of the Tomodachi Life thing myself, but like I said, I'm keeping an open mind about it.

As for the pictures, the only reasons it's survived scrutiny so long is because most of the 'errors' are either not entirely definitively leak breaking or can be explained away theoretically, and that a lot of the time the 'scrutiny' for picture leaks begins and ends with people looking to see if there was evidence of Photoshop tampering. Of course, anyone can get around that by posting their 'leak' onto a television screen and taking the picture using a cellphone or digital camera, which could be the case here.

At the same time, hey, it could be real and the photographic evidence is just sucky, purposely or accidentally.

The Gematsu Leak isn't too much different from this one, though. It's just that the thing people are clinging to are different.

The Gematsu Leak guessed Wii Fit Trainer, she got revealed hours later and people took it for gospel while completely ignoring perfectly rational arguments to why it might be fake as the months went on.

This leak has a SSS icon for Tomodachi Life that vaguely resembles one in an official screenshot hours later and people are taking it for gospel while completely ignoring perfectly rational arguments to why it might be fake as the days went on.

It's just all kind of aligning a little too similarly for me, and the last time I was skeptical of a leak that everyone agreed was real, I turned out to be right. Not saying 'Ha, I was right all along!' and rubbing it in anyone's face, it's just given me reason to be skeptical about things even when there's seemingly evidence for something being real.
Gematsu's entire crutch was Wii Fit Trainer, though - I never bought it was just a good guess (With Greninja and details about his inclusion combined with the strange out-of-place lack of specifics on his character name in Gematsu I STILL don't really buy Gematsu was a fake, but time will tell on this...)

But this does seem to have a bit more to stand on. Every photoshop leak I can think of is generally exposed within an hour to a day of the initial postings or details are found that contradict it on some level. Things like Kirby's line thickness, for example, serve nothing to help the leak, yet it was there despite only being a buggy feature at the E3 demo. Tomodachi and Paper Mario's stages being at totally different angles with correlating features is also very suspect and seem a bit odd.

To explain why I think survival of scrutiny gives it credibility, it's exactly because it's been several days of ceaseless analysis to find inconsistent details in the pictures whereas Gematsu only survived a year because it went at Sakurai's pace for character reveals because it was text based. I'm not aware of Photo leaks sans Palutena's (which was far less elaborate and detailed-to-the-brim as this) lasting for extended periods of time.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

I'm not talking about them until they're proven legit.

...could be an equally bad thought as him being teased as a boss... for a whole year. But somebody theorized Ridley can't make it because the way the CSS would be displaced if he were to show up and not certain other characters instead. But how does it rearrange if everyone's unlocked?

Also in regards to Gematsu, he clearly had inside info... at precisely one point, and that was E32013. He fed Sal Romano lucky guesses for possible spotlight after that.
I'd be fine with a Charizard clone Ridley.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
You're probably a bad troll everybody should ignore, but on the off-chance you're actually serious, can you bring up these supposed examples of "refuted points being based off of faith?" It's pretty evident you're baiting people if you don', so g'head and bring up some of those counterpoints.
I'm totally a troll, but these fakers aren't. Well, glad that's out of the way. :awesome:

That's a subtle link if I ever heard one.
Wow, I just realized how much I antagonize you., I am so sorry, honest.

I hope you're right, to be dead honest. I don't want it to be real. Plus if it's real, you will be getting a lot of crap for this.
On the off-chance in another dimension that this turned out to be real, there would I be ashamed of being an ass and admit how sorry of a human being I am followed by requesting matches with you and everyone to a game of Smash.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I'm totally a troll, but these fakers aren't. Well, glad that's out of the way. :awesome:

On the off-chance in another dimension that this turned out to be real, there would I be ashamed of being an *** and admit how sorry of a human being I am followed by requesting matches with you and everyone to a game of Smash.
I wouldn't say you were an ass, just a bit hostile at how you approached this. But I would definitely accept that Smash request. I'm always up for a Smash match.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Alright, but why is there a reason to believe he's lying about the character select screen not being complete? We know from an earlier posted in response to yours that he DID have early access to the pictures, so he may have been in contact with the original source of the pictures.

It's not like the assumption that there are more characters is even a controversial idea. The CSS as is only really makes sense if it has 5 more characters otherwise the detractors have a total point that it's a inconsistent mess. It's clearly made to be filled.

Side note: Has anyone investigated the character background colors to see if they could create an effect on a complete screen?
I'm not saying assume he's lying, I'm saying question whether it is true or what you should believe it. We DON'T know that he had early access to the pictures. People just saying 'he had early access' doesn't make it so, they just parrot it because they heard it somewhere (where? why?). What proof you do you have that he had the pictures earlier?

I'm not saying the assumption that we have 5 more characters is ridiculous. Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie, and Chorus Men + 1 space for when Miis are available (although that in itself is an assumption) would perfectly fill up the 3DS screen. But almost not a single person other than me has bothered to question Masterlinkx's credentials, so I feel it's definitely worth bringing up.

Last edited:

Runaway5ive

Smash Rookie
NNID
H-Zigga
3DS FC
5241-3197-1770
It's cool to see this stuff about Shulk, but I just want him revealed...with different artwork :D

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying the assumption that we have 5 more characters is ridiculous. Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie, and Chorus Men + 1 space for when Miis are available (although that in itself is an assumption) would perfectly fill up the 3DS screen. But almost not a single person other than me has bothered to question Masterlinkx's credentials, so I feel it's definitely worth bringing up.
The pictures showed the Mii thing. In the customizations tab, when you open it, it'll let you customize either your playable characters, or your Miis. So Miis aren't on the CSS, but they're made with customizations on.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
So I caught up on everything that happened in the past 12 hours. At this point we are literally discussing the same things over and over again and no progress is being made. Most people seem to have accepted the leak even though they don't want it to be real, while others are still denying it.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Did you really wait this long to make that belated reply?

Also that's how Brawl was.
I didn't wait. I'm a little behind in this thread. There's a lot to catch up on. And what's how brawl was? Please be more specific.
He didn't want to screw with people, he wanted to make people think the leak was fake to keep it from spreading.
He has admitted to doing it "partly" to screw with people.

Last edited:

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice

As much as the "separate clones" thing bugs me, this WOULD fix the problems. Personally, I'd still be ecstatic to get Ridley as a Charizard clone if it was the sort of Ganondorf/Falco-level of clone. Lucina-level might be a bit much, though.

That said, I'm not sure it'd work for both him and Dixie simultaneously. Right now, the clones are followed by Shulk, the three third-parties, and the Random button. So with four characters in the clone section, they could all fit along the bottom row, but a fifth clone would require rearrangements to get Shulk out of the way to fit them all on one row.

Last edited:

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
After hours of deliberation and research on this topic (procrastination ftw), my conclusion is: real.

1) The massive amount of energy expended from Reddit, SmashBoards, GameFaqs, and beyond has yet to find comps for these renders, and they're seamless with the rest of the characters.
2) Multiple leakers from various websites and timeframes leaking the same data.
3) Corroborating screens from Famitsu (for the Tomodachi level) and GameSpot (for the color swap on Fox's background image), along with new angles on the level--too hard for so many coincidences to happen at once.
4) Pixel discrepancy on character select matches pixel discrepancies in the E3 demo. It would be hard for a currency counterfeiter with a lot more to gain to be able to surmise that level of detail, let alone go through the effort to recreate it.
5) Sakurai has foreshadowed some of the new characters in this leak, which is a trend that matches already-announced characters and stages (Kid Icarus image dump by Sakurai after Palutena image leak plus Palutena trophy tease, empty Mii cage in the Find Mii stage, Rainbow Road in the Rosalina/Luma trailer). It stands to reason that Game and Watch was a tease in the Pacman Trailer along with Shulk teased by composer reveal and Xenoblade devs retweeting Sakurai, Dark Pit teased in Palutena reveal, and maybe there's more to come (Ridley shadow from earlier Smash video--don't remember which--could be evidence backing up Ridley DLC, but I doubt it)
6) Ice Climber cut or moved to DLC makes sense given 3DS and Sakurai hinted at it.
7) (EDIT: Oops, mistook hand on Kirby in one of the screens for P1 hand, so I thought it was Bowser. Disregard original text.)
8) This is mostly speculative on my part, but I've been unduly hyped for Smash games since 1999 and thus combed for every shred of data. Just from my sheer volume of reading over the years: the Duck Hunt Dog has come up an absurd amount of times and fits all of Sakurai's criteria for uniqueness, as well as the tradition of throwing in an off the wall retro favorite.

If I were on a jury for this case, I'd vote real in a heartbeat because the circumstantial evidence is just too compelling.

I also believe that there's some good evidence for Chrom: he might have been a tease in the Robin reveal. No reason why he couldn't hit as DLC, and it would make the Gematsu leak complete. I tend to believe the leaker when he says the Chorus Men are DLC--the Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run were likely a tease, and they probably have a team aspect to them, which makes them harder to work into the retail release ala Ice Climbers. This evidence is less compelling than other things related to this leak, but noteworthy nevertheless.

Real. Will be astounded if I'm wrong, but it's been known to happen. Duck Hunt Dog is for sure on my new main rotation.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So I caught up on everything that happened in the past 12 hours. At this point we are literally discussing the same things over and over again and no progress is being made. Most people seem to have accepted the leak even though they don't want it to be real, while others are still denying it.
Welcome to the leaks group routine!

Discussing the same things over and over again is what we have been doing there for most of the time since the group was created.

Anyway, it is likely that more stuff will leak this week and in the following ones for obvious reasons.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
7) Bowser and DeDeDe, while out of place technically, seem to be lumped into their own weight class, which lends their spot on the roster a (tenuous) rationality.
...wut

Discussing the same things over and over again is what we have been doing there for most of the time since the group was created.

Anyway, it is likely that more stuff will leak this week and in the following ones for obvious reasons.
yeah I know. I was doing the same thing yesterday. Until I gave in and accepted the leak... :confused:

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
To change the topic a bit, but currently I'm actually interested in what the deal is with Dark Pit and Dr. Mario. Not so much their presence (It's Namco after all), but more like what their differences are compared to their vanilla counterparts.

Reila

To change the topic a bit, but currently I'm actually interested in what the deal is with Dark Pit and Dr. Mario. Not so much their presence (It's Namco after all), but more like what their differences are compared to their vanilla counterparts.
I can see Dark Pit having Brawl!Pit's moveset and different properties (weight and stuff). Dr. Mario may be the same as he was in Melee.

Last edited:

Dean Lawrence

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiseUpAndFight
3DS FC
1246-8874-5343
One would assume that Dr. Mario has the same differences that he had in Melee. But Dark Pit is a different story as they could do quite a few different things with him.

Last edited:

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
I'm guessing Doc will resemble his Melee counterpart. Hopefully he'll get his own Down B (or at least keep his tornado)

I have no clue about Dark Pit though.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I still say fake. The css is centered and sss is not. The sss looks atrocious. The css looks bad, too. And the duck for "Duck Hunt" has too long of a neck. People can dismiss these as "nothing" all they want, but I have more faith in Sakurai than to think he would do such ...low quality designs.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
After hours of deliberation and research on this topic (procrastination ftw), my conclusion is: real.

1) The massive amount of energy expended from Reddit, SmashBoards, GameFaqs, and beyond has yet to find comps for these renders, and they're seamless with the rest of the characters.
2) Multiple leakers from various websites and timeframes leaking the same data.
3) Corroborating screens from Famitsu (for the Tomodachi level) and GameSpot (for the color swap on Fox's background image), along with new angles on the level--too hard for so many coincidences to happen at once.
4) Pixel discrepancy on character select matches pixel discrepancies in the E3 demo. It would be hard for a currency counterfeiter with a lot more to gain to be able to surmise that level of detail, let alone go through the effort to recreate it.
5) Sakurai has foreshadowed some of the new characters in this leak, which is a trend that matches already-announced characters and stages (Kid Icarus image dump by Sakurai after Palutena image leak plus Palutena trophy tease, empty Mii cage in the Find Mii stage, Rainbow Road in the Rosalina/Luma trailer). It stands to reason that Game and Watch was a tease in the Pacman Trailer along with Shulk teased by composer reveal and Xenoblade devs retweeting Sakurai, Dark Pit teased in Palutena reveal, and maybe there's more to come (Ridley shadow from earlier Smash video--don't remember which--could be evidence backing up Ridley DLC, but I doubt it)
6) Ice Climber cut or moved to DLC makes sense given 3DS and Sakurai hinted at it.
7) (EDIT: Oops, mistook hand on Kirby in one of the screens for P1 hand, so I thought it was Bowser. Disregard original text.)
8) This is mostly speculative on my part, but I've been unduly hyped for Smash games since 1999 and thus combed for every shred of data. Just from my sheer volume of reading over the years: the Duck Hunt Dog has come up an absurd amount of times and fits all of Sakurai's criteria for uniqueness, as well as the tradition of throwing in an off the wall retro favorite.

If I were on a jury for this case, I'd vote real in a heartbeat because the circumstantial evidence is just too compelling.

I also believe that there's some good evidence for Chrom: he might have been a tease in the Robin reveal. No reason why he couldn't hit as DLC, and it would make the Gematsu leak complete. I tend to believe the leaker when he says the Chorus Men are DLC--the Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run were likely a tease, and they probably have a team aspect to them, which makes them harder to work into the retail release ala Ice Climbers. This evidence is less compelling than other things related to this leak, but noteworthy nevertheless.

Real. Will be astounded if I'm wrong, but it's been known to happen. Duck Hunt Dog is for sure on my new main rotation.
Excellent post. You did a great job presenting the logic here. I'm a little skeptical about us getting DLC characters but Chrom being possible DLC is an interesting possibility, considering that we have reason to believe he was considered as a character early in development and there may already be plenty of assets of his pre-made.

Side-bar: Can we agree that it's ridiculous to stake any argument on claims preceded by "Sakurai wouldn't do X/Sakurai would have done X"? 'ROB is in SSE, he wouldn't be in the game!', 'The side characters on the Melee CSS are slightly off, Sakurai would never have such a sloppy screen!', 'Obviously Toon Link is cut because he wouldn't put him in the game AND on Spirit Tracks'... etc. You can't predict the man and the list of those who think they can (myself included) could extend to the moon.

Last edited:

Reila

I still say fake. The css is centered and sss is not. The sss looks atrocious. The css looks bad, too. And the duck for "Duck Hunt" has too long of a neck. People can dismiss these as "nothing" all they want, but I have more faith in Sakurai than to think he would do such ...low quality designs.
2/10. Wouldn't read again.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Dark Pit may utilize his Staff, a Canon, a pair of Claws, and his own bow for standards. He could also bring a Palm or Sword for certain attacks. Although this sounds as if he wouldn't make sense being paired with clones, it's the most realistic way I can imagine him playing.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
I have little doubt this is the real deal. Well, I set my expectations very low and they were met beautifully. Unless they have some really good DLC newcomers to be announced soon, then I can feel good that I get to keep 50+ dollars and can hold off on buying a Wii U even longer.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
That bit of blue everybody thinks is the Duck's neck is clearly his wing.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I can see Dark Pit having Brawl!Pit's moveset and different properties (weight and stuff). Dr. Mario may be the same as he was in Melee.
Well, no. I think going back to the Brawl moveset would be a bad idea, mainly because of how atrocious it was. I'd more so say Dark Pit would take a more aggressive spin on Pit's utility based moveset, to parallel how Dark Pit is a more hostile character.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'm not saying assume he's lying, I'm saying question whether it is true or what you should believe it. We DON'T know that he had early access to the pictures. People just saying 'he had early access' doesn't make it so, they just parrot it because they heard it somewhere (where? why?). What proof you do you have that he had the pictures earlier?

Someone pointed this out:

Not exactly. He posted his picture after the Shulk ICON was posted, but before the Shulk ARTWORK was posted.
In other words, he modified the Shulk artwork we had received to make it look fake in order to cover the source's tracks.

http://smashboards.com/threads/heir-to-the-monado-shulk-for-ssb4.324326/page-410#post-17331256

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69893363

He seemed to post the Shulk thing before it actually popped up as a picture on 4chan. He explains here his intent:

http://i.imgur.com/GxvJZJX.jpg

...So I suppose he could be riding this and saying "there are more characters", but this is a logical assumption to start with. Maybe he's lying, maybe he's not, but I don't really see a reason for him to be.

Reila

Well, no. I think going back to the Brawl moveset would be a bad idea, mainly because of how atrocious it was. I'd more so say Dark Pit would take a more aggressive spin on Pit's utility based moveset, to parallel how Dark Pit is a more hostile character.
I never said it was a good idea and being a bad idea doesn't mean it isn't a possibility.
I have little doubt this is the real deal. Well, I set my expectations very low and they were met beautifully. Unless they have some really good DLC newcomers to be announced soon, then I can feel good that I get to keep 50+ dollars and can hold off on buying a Wii U even longer.
I set my expectations very low too and I am actually considering a Wii U because the game is massively exceeding my expectations.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Someone please tell me what CaptainCC meant when he said "Bowser and DeDeDe, while out of place technically, seem to be lumped into their own weight class, which lends their spot on the roster a (tenuous) rationality."

EDIT NEVERMIND

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Gematsu's entire crutch was Wii Fit Trainer, though - I never bought it was just a good guess (With Greninja and details about his inclusion combined with the strange out-of-place lack of specifics on his character name in Gematsu I STILL don't really buy Gematsu was a fake, but time will tell on this...)
A lot of people have very little understanding of the game development process so that guy missing one character is not a big deal to those who do understand it. Tons of things change from pre-development into actual development. That very precise list was way too accurate to ignore... http://i.imgur.com/NrCYfRs.png

It was confirmed they wanted a 6th Gen Pokemon before they even finished concepting all of the 6th Gen Pokemon. It was decided to be Greninja since one of the only concept sketches during pre-X/Y was Greninja. That right there tells us that it was a leak from the early stages of development and "Chrom" was probably in the same vein as "Pokemon from X/Y" and was probably just a placeholder until Sakurai finished playing Awakening and realized Robin would be more fitting. Chrom is just a synonym for "FE:A Protagonist" but once you actually play it you realize there are two/three main characters to choose from like FE7's Lyn, Hector, Eliwood.

The "leaker" who visited here was always very sketchy to me though. That's when it started to sound flawed and fake with the whole "Shulk tomorrow!!!" BS. Anyone can fake an account here. I have the same thoughts about the "anons" who claimed to be the leakers for this leak. They could easily just be piggybacking on the leak to screw with us with vague comments.

Last edited:

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice

I'm confused about why it's so obvious. Just proximity to release date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom