• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Une

Smash Apprentice
Nobody can disagree Wolf isn't a heavily modified Fox. Fox is obviously Wolf's base.

I wouldn't call him a true clone though. Clearly they put more effort in differentiating him from Fox than say, Lucina from Marth.
How people continue to say that Wolf is a heavily modded Fox/clone of Fox/Ken - Ryu comparison whatever is something I will NEVER understand.

1. Ken/Ryu have a lot of similar looking normals. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF WOLFS NORMALS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.
2. Wolf stance is completely unique.

ROY is a clone. Melee FALCO is a clone. The Melee clones are the true clones.

Here is the scale of clony-ness.
1. Not a ****ing clone
All the other characters
2. Almost entirely different. And still not a ****ing clone.
Wolf, Lucas
3. Semi-clone
Toon Link, Luigi, Ganon, Falco, etc.
4. A goddamn clone.
The Melee clones + 64 Luigi

In addition, Wolf's Side B and Nuetral B are different enough to basically be entirely different moves. So his Up B and Down B are the only moves he has in Bawrl that are super similar to Fox's. And Final Smash. TWO MOVES. Gee, what other characters have two or moves that are similar that aren't considered clones or semi-clones? Ike. Ike has Down B Counter and his Fair has a sorta similar hitbox to Marf's Fair. IKE'S A MARTH CLONE!!!!! Hmmmm. Ness does a spinny thing for his Nair and sticks out his hands when he dash attacks! So does Peach! NESS IS A PEACH CLONE. Mewtwo has a nuetral B projectile that he can charge and keep with him + his Fsmash looks kinda similar..............Lucario is a clone of Mewtwo! Lolwut?!!!?? Ohwait..............there are already people out there that say that........

..............how on earth do I see people rag on Lufas and Wolf for being "clones" and say NOTHING about Luigi? Now THAT is a semi-clone. Luigi has a VERY similar Nair, Bair, Uair, Dsmash, Usmash, Ftilt, only the 3rd hit of his jab combo is different, and all his throws are like goddamn identical visually. Wolf has what, Down B, Up B, and Landmaster? ALL NORMALS AND THROWS ARE LIKE 100% DIFFERENT. Some clone/semi-clone.

All that pretty much applies to Lucas as well. Difference is his Uair and Fsmash are pretty similar. And his B moves are more similar. On the other hand he has a ranged throw and a tether.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Close, but not quite, I do believe Chrom would be in the planning document (as he was the lord for the most recent/best selling entry) but Lucina didn't take his slot, Robin did. I imagine the way it happened was Sakurai (and his team, as it isn't all him) were looking at info for Chrom to build a moveset, and someone decided to suggest Robin. Robin's got all the things going for him: Magic, unique mechanics, no default blue hair. Robin took over Chrom's slot in the planning document (hence Chrom as part of Pair Up), and Lucina was planned as an Alt skin.

Somewhere later down the line someone was actually cut for technical reasons (maybe Climbers, maybe Chorus Kids, maybe both) and Lucina was updated to clone status to fill a hole in the CSS line-up. Changing her from Marth is relatively low impact coding, she has a few unique animations (her taunts, possibly some moves/custom specials, possibly her Final Smash) but it isn't a whole new thing from scratch. Like using leftovers to make an omelette.
Oh wow, you are completely right. I should've rechecked things! I'll update that, thank you!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
How people continue to say that Wolf is a heavily modded Fox/clone of Fox/Ken - Ryu comparison whatever is something I will NEVER understand.

1. Ken/Ryu have a lot of similar looking normals. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF WOLFS NORMALS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

1. Not a ****ing clone
All the other characters
Wolf, Lucas
3. Semi-clone
4. A goddamn clone.

In addition, Wolf's Side B and Nuetral B are different enough to basically be entirely different moves. So his Up B and Down B are the only moves he has in Bawrl that are super similar to Fox's. And Final Smash. TWO MOVES. Gee, what other characters have two or moves that are similar that aren't considered clones or semi-clones? Ike. Ike has Down B Counter and his Fair has a sorta similar hitbox to Marf's Fair. IKE'S A MARTH CLONE!!!!! Hmmmm. Ness does a spinny thing for his Nair and sticks out his hands when he dash attacks! So does Peach! NESS IS A PEACH CLONE. Mewtwo has a nuetral B projectile that he can charge and keep with him + his Fsmash looks kinda similar..............Lucario is a clone of Mewtwo! Lolwut?!!!?? Ohwait..............there are already people out there that say that........

..............how on earth do I see people rag on Lufas and Wolf for being "clones" and say NOTHING about Luigi? Now THAT is a semi-clone. Luigi has a VERY similar Nair, Bair, Uair, Dsmash, Usmash, Ftilt, only the 3rd hit of his jab combo is different, and all his throws are like goddamn identical visually. Wolf has what, Down B, Up B, and Landmaster? ALL NORMALS AND THROWS ARE LIKE 100% DIFFERENT. Some clone/semi-clone.

All that pretty much applies to Lucas as well. Difference is his Uair and Fsmash are pretty similar. And his B moves are more similar. On the other hand he has a ranged throw and a tether.
Lucas and Ness have more similarities than what Fox and Wolf do.
Down tilt, Forward Smash and Uair are shared. They also have identical size, weight, shape and falling speed.
According to Smash Wiki they additionally both suffer from 10 additional frames of lag when being grab released. that no other characters in Brawl suffer from.

Last edited:

Rakath

Smash Ace

1. Not a ****ing clone
All the other characters
Wolf, Lucas
3. Semi-clone
4. A goddamn clone.

Your definition of 'entirely different moves' needs some work. As do the traits needed to really compare characters.

1. Moves
2. Physics

For instance, if you were to put the six Melee clones on a scale of 'most like their Ryu' to 'least like their Ryu' you get:
Doc < Falco < Pichu < Roy < Y. Link < Ganondorf

Why is Ganondorf the most different, other than the fact that Falcon was really good and he wasn't, is that his physics are so drastically changed from Falcon. Doc, meanwhile, has pretty close to identical physics. All of them have (nearly) identical moves, so that aspect really cannot be compared. So while the moves used by Lucas and Ness have some pretty obvious variations, the fact that they share identical physics is a problem.

As to Wolf, Falco, and Fox, all three use the same core physics as Fox. Then things were varied so that they were not Fox but they all end up still feeling very Fox-like. But to say that Wolf's Neutral and Side specials are 'completely different' is like saying Lucario and Samus's neutral special are 'completely different' or that Lucario and Marth's down specials are 'completely different' they function very differently... but they are the same move with vastly modified properties.

Fox, Falco, and Wolf's blasters fall on a spectrum, the same way their landmasters are 'completely different' as each has something it does better (if I am remembering correctly Fox's barrel rolls best, Falco's flies best, and Wolf's fires best) but they are still the same move (shooting someone). And while Wolf's side special is more varied from Fox's than Falco's, you might as well say Mario and Luigi's fireballs are 'completely different,' or that the Mother children's PK Fires are 'completely different.'

Now, if I were to put them on a spectrum, Falco falls very close to Fox and Wolf falls much further... so Wolf's problem isn't similarity, it's that Falco is more popular than him.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Starting to really think that the leaked roster is complete.

1) We've had three legitimate leaks all containing the exact same leaked characters, no more, no less.
(1-Ninka July text leak, 2-ESRB leak and then 3-the video leak).
If the leaked rosters weren't completely unlocked then you would expect different combinations of characters revealed. Or at least for them to be at different stages of unlocking.
Instead we see the exact same roster from 3 seperate leaks.

2) To my understanding, its been proven that the screenshots including the locked all star mode were taken at different times.

Only way out of this is if:
1) the copy spread around the US was still missing a couple characters who were still being polished off in development.
2) the final unseen characters are much much more difficult to unlock than the shown characters, explaining why 0/3 leakers had unlocked them.

Neither of these possibilities seem likely to my eye.

Correct me if I got any facts wrong. I'd be delighted.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

1) We've had three legitimate leaks all containing the exact same leaked characters, no more, no less.
If the leaked rosters weren't completely unlocked then you would expect different combinations of characters revealed. Or at least for them to be at different stages of unlocking.

2) To my understanding, its been proven that the screenshots including the locked all star mode were taken at different times.

1) the copy spread around the US was still missing a couple characters who were still being polished off in development.
2) the final unseen characters are much much more difficult to unlock than the shown characters, explaining why 0/3 leakers had unlocked them.

The video leak is part of the ESRB leak.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

The ESRB picture leaks are from the video leak, so they're one and the same.

But otherwise I agree.

Rakath

Smash Ace
ESRB leak and the video leak are the same information. Probably also the same source as the Ninka text leak.

"Five people all heard from Suzy that Billy wets the bed" does not actually count as five separate sources.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Functionality isn't the only thing I take into consideration when considering clones. Wolf is the least cloney clone that's for sure, but his specials are feeling wise basically the same. Some of his other stuff like the floor and ledge recovery and final smash are basically the same too. He's a semi-clone and IMO semi-clones are clone enough for me to really freakin' hate them. I basically demand total uniqueness from all my characters (looking at your Toon Link, Falco, etc...).

Yeah games like Street Fighter have had "cloney" characters for a while but this isn't street fighter.

uebo7

Smash Apprentice

I also doubt that there are more characters. But, you are forgetting that those aren't really 3 separate leaks. The videos were just videos of the esrb leak. In other words, the same information, so of course they show the same things. And Ninka's source could have very well gotten the same information that would have been placed in the esrb video, if not having actually based his claims on the video itself as well. Point is, considering the times and sources of the "3" leaks here, you would expect the same things. And your point about leakers "not unlocking the rest of the characters" makes no sense, because as far as we know, none of those sources actually had their hands on the game at the time of leaking.

WooMooWooWooMoo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Quattro_Thunder
3DS FC
1934-0666-8269

All Star mode is available from the start. The lock symbol is there to show that the mode is missing characters.
Your theory still applies though.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Thanks guys for the clarification.

ESRB leak and the video leak are the same information. Probably also the same source as the Ninka text leak.

"Five people all heard from Suzy that Billy wets the bed" does not actually count as five separate sources.
I don't see any reason to think the Ninka leak had anything to do with the ESRB leak.
Ninka's source was apparently a software tester. And it was a month in advance of the ESRB leak.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
And your point about leakers "not unlocking the rest of the characters" makes no sense, because as far as we know, none of those sources actually had their hands on the game at the time of leaking.
Thats a fair point.
Although you would think Ninjas software tester mate would.

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
So I was happening to be browsing 4chan's video game section just now and I kid you not, SAL FRIGGEN ROMANO just posted a thread giving us one last bit of leaked info before the Japanese release of Smash 4 on the 3DS

According to his source, the Chorus Men were considered at one point, but were ultimately scrapped much like Chrom was and the Duck Hunt Dog is officially confirmed as Sal mentions that the pooch is the Chorus Men's replacement as the last unlikely/WTF character

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/261512957
NOOOOOOOOO!!! NOT MY CHORUS MEN T^T

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
So I was happening to be browsing 4chan's video game section just now and I kid you not, SAL FRIGGEN ROMANO just posted a thread giving us one last bit of leaked info before the Japanese release of Smash 4 on the 3DS

According to his source, the Chorus Men were considered at one point, but were ultimately scrapped much like Chrom was and the Duck Hunt Dog is officially confirmed as Sal mentions that the pooch is the Chorus Men's replacement as the last unlikely/WTF character

Oh snap, that last minute ass covering. I find this kinda sad really, I was kinda hoping that the leak would totally redeem itself with the Chorus Men being in, so to see them not making it is a bit sad. Especially since he decided to cover his backside with DHD which was already leaked anyway. I guess the only way to proof Sal's leak now is if someone finds the Chorus Men in the source code.

Oh well, it's been a fun ride Sal. #TeamReal4life

Last edited:

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX

Oh snap, that last minute *** covering. I find this kinda sad really, I was kinda hoping that the leak would totally redeem itself with the Chorus Men being in, so to see them not making it is a bit sad. Especially since he decided to cover his backside with DHD which was already leaked anyway. I guess the only way to proof Sal's leak now is if someone finds the Chorus Men in the source code.

That's not me, lol.

Sorry for posting in the wrong thread. Dunno where the right one is and this is where I saw my name tagged.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh snap, that last minute *** covering. I find this kinda sad really, I was kinda hoping that the leak would totally redeem itself with the Chorus Men being in, so to see them not making it is a bit sad. Especially since he decided to cover his backside with DHD which was already leaked anyway. I guess the only way to proof Sal's leak now is if someone finds the Chorus Men in the source code.

That isn't actually Sal

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
I'm shocked people still think Sal is fake, he did get everyone right other then Chrom and maybe Chorus Men, I mean...Getting WFT and the Villager were pretty lucky if he is fake, seeing how Sakurai said he didn't want to make a Animal Crossing rep from an old interview from Brawl, and WFT was shocking because nobody expected her, it's possible that his source worked on the character trailers and the reason he thought Chrom was in was because Chrom was in the Lucina/Robin trailer, but then again that doesn't really explain why he didn't say anything about Lucina and Robin in the original leak.

I don't know...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Functionality isn't the only thing I take into consideration when considering clones. Wolf is the least cloney clone that's for sure, but his specials are feeling wise basically the same. Some of his other stuff like the floor and ledge recovery and final smash are basically the same too. He's a semi-clone and IMO semi-clones are clone enough for me to really freakin' hate them. I basically demand total uniqueness from all my characters (looking at your Toon Link, Falco, etc...).

Yeah games like Street Fighter have had "cloney" characters for a while but this isn't street fighter.
Every fighter has had clones. I can't think of a single fighting game franchise off the top of my head that has had an entirely unique cast that had no similarities among one another whatsoever. (Though I admit ignorance of the BlazBlue and Guilty Gear series, since they never interested me.) It's a way of expanding the roster to appease fans who constantly want more while not pulling a Shenmue and devoting way too many resources to it. Plus, clones can evolve into virtually different movesets, much like Fox/Falco/Wolf, who, despite their visual similarities, play very, very differently from one another.

Hell, to use your Street Fighter example, any Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Sagat/Sakura/Dan main will tell you flat out that shotos aren't exact copies of one another. "Variation" would be a better word. Look similar, but play very different.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Yeah the thread looked pretty bad itself, I don't think anyone on 4chan really believed it. Too easy to pretend to be someone like that and he'd just post on his own site if he had new information wouldn't he?

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Hm, fair enough, I forgot how crap 4chan is. I do think Sal should try to grab his leaker's last information he may or may not have, he might have still something relevant to say.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I find it funny that we all keep coming back in here while knowing full well that this thread will be irrelevant in a week or so.

I really need to find a better use of my time.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I find it funny that we all keep coming back in here while knowing full well that this thread will be irrelevant in a week or so.

I really need to find a better use of my time.
You mean there's a better way to spend all of your spare time than torturing yourself over something that you have no control over?
Blasphemy.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait until the game finally releases in Japan. Then we can all stop talking discussing these leaks and talk about how unfair it is that Japan gets the game early :c

Last edited:

JMS_Eddy

Smash Rookie
Ya know, they could have "leaked" certain details about certain characters to different parts of their teams in order to trace leaks to their source... (though I'm mostly grasping at straws hoping the ice climbers are back with that line of thinking...) it is a somewhat common corporate tactic to identify leaks and discredit their sources (by giving them some false details), not that Nintendo would do anything like that...

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
This is wrong, it hasn't been proven that it was taken at different times, but it is a real possibility.

I don't see any reason to think the Ninka leak had anything to do with the ESRB leak.
Ninka's source was apparently a software tester. And it was a month in advance of the ESRB leak.
ESRB has had the rating of the game for over a month now, meaning that the Software Tester could have come across the build that was used for the ESRB videos. Regardless since it was a NoA employee that leaked it, we don't have a real time frame from when ESRB actually rated the game, we just know it wasn't as recent as some think (as the game has had its rating for at least over a month now).

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I know the clone talk is over, but for myself, I only view them as a clone if nearly every move is the same.

Final Smash is irrelevant.
Specials and like 2-3 standard moves don't really do it for me. Has to be more than like 10+ moves. Lucas & Wolf never felt like Ness or Fox to me, despite the few shared/similar moves.
I don't care about physics, so that means nothing to me, even if it's fact magic.
All that matters to me is if the character definitely feels different.

Having said that, I support their existence as roster padding. I just wish this roster was less redundant. Melee/Brawl added similar but wildly different characters that were clones or pseudo clones, with Dr. Mario & Young/Toon Link being the only ones who were literally just variants of a character. Our clones this time are "Mario with different clothes, Pit's Brawl recolor & female Marth". I'm various levels of excited for them, but it looks less varied.

I'm hoping there are more unknown alternate costumes for characters too. Specifically, ones that are other characters. Either via recolor or full model. They may not actually be extra characters, but I like the idea of having imaginary bonus characters, like assuming the Koopalings & Alph are true, and if we got characters like Daisy via a costume. If nothing else, I hope Peach gets her Melee-Daisy dress back with the extra details.

This is wrong, it hasn't been proven that it was taken at different times, but it is a real possibility.
All-Star hasing't been proven, but the trophy screenshots prove that parts -are- from different levels of completion. Seeing as one of them says there's only 11 trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom