• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealLegit StevenSeagal

Smash Apprentice
You can't call a leak false for missing content, only incorrect content. Yeah, he missed stuff, but the vast majority of it ended up being true.
Well chrom killed his leak, plenty of other leaks that looked legit but were never looked at again soon as one thing deconfirmed it.

but that's just me.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Well chrom killed his leak, plenty of other leaks that looked legit but were never looked at again soon as one thing deconfirmed it.

but that's just me.
Yeah chrom really messed him up, but for the people that actually followed the leak, they knew he had outdated info. I'm just saying, if you look at how much he got right, as opposed to how much he got wrong... well the numbers speak for themselves.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Nobody can disagree Wolf isn't a heavily modified Fox. Fox is obviously Wolf's base.

I wouldn't call him a true clone though. Clearly they put more effort in differentiating him from Fox than say, Lucina from Marth.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Didn't the leaker claim the last 5 characters where those in the Ninka leak? Or was he lying through his teeth like with the DLC.

Also, if it's true if he's from NoA, damn, I didn't know they had such potty mouths.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
Besides, everything the gematsu leak stated bar Chrom and CM has been confirmed so far. And it has been widely speculated that the info he got was outdated so it makes sense he knew about Chrom and a "Pokemon from XY"

EDIT: Can someone actually confirm if this leaker is indeed the actual Sal Romano? Although I guess it doesn't matter in the end since he does not reveal anything new, I guess
That's kinda the issue. If his information is out of date, it's not actually terribly reliable. There may be a lot of valid information in there, but speculating over it becomes a bit of a crapshoot when bits of it are guaranteed to be wrong. Also, if his info was out of date, I highly doubt he got an update on it JUST NOW. Having an out of date leak insinuates you don't work for the company any more. That usually means that you're not gonna get updates.

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
That's kinda the issue. If his information is out of date, it's not actually terribly reliable. There may be a lot of valid information in there, but speculating over it becomes a bit of a crapshoot when bits of it are guaranteed to be wrong. Also, if his info was out of date, I highly doubt he got an update on it JUST NOW. Having an out of date leak insinuates you don't work for the company any more. That usually means that you're not gonna get updates.
Yes, indeed. It is quite unreliable. Just wanted to point this out because it really is tiring to see people claiming the leak is fake just because it had Chrom in it

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Besides, everything the gematsu leak stated bar Chrom and CM has been confirmed so far. And it has been widely speculated that the info he got was outdated so it makes sense he knew about Chrom and a "Pokemon from XY"

EDIT: Can someone actually confirm if this leaker is indeed the actual Sal Romano? Although I guess it doesn't matter in the end since he does not reveal anything new, I guess
If his info was simply outdated, why did he supposedly know of DLC plans? Why did he "know" whose reveal trailer was coming next (obviously he didn't, but he tried)?

People need to stop referring to the Gematsu "leak" in singular. There were four e-mails, three of which can be thrown out as worthless and the first of which no longer needs speculating because it all came true. Seriously, if you take out the first e-mail, the rest of the "leak" looks like random guesswork, same as any other old rumor. Conclusion: The first e-mail was a legit leak, the rest was nonsense.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
This makes legitimately no sense. Their movesets aren't based off another, while Fox/Falco/Wolf most certainly are. You can try to differentiate them all you want, but the fact of the matter is they're Kens to Ryu until they do massive retooling. Personally, I'd rather have Wolf in the game than Falco because I feel that Villains are more important to Smash than sidekicks. But the issue with them is Falco came first in the series and in Smash, and while Wolf may be different more than Falco, they're basically the same idea: Fox tweaked in a different way.
The only move that was similar to the other space animals was the Down B. The blaster was differently styled (and it'd be like saying Charge Shot and Aura Sphere), the Side B was a sudden diagonal rush and it had a killer sweetspot at the end, and Up B just moves in any direction (like how Pit's Up + B works in Smash 4)

Otherwise? His other moves are ENTIRELY different. Different jabs, different back air, different up air, different down air, different everything--THE POINT IS WOLF IS NOT A CLONE.

Meanwhile Toon Link and Falco could be considered semi-clones because a lot of specials may be similar but their actual attacks are SO different in animations and methods.

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
If his info was simply outdated, why did he supposedly know of DLC plans? Why did he "know" whose reveal trailer was coming next (obviously he didn't, but he tried)?

People need to stop referring to the Gematsu "leak" in singular. There were four e-mails, three of which can be thrown out as worthless and the first of which no longer needs speculating because it all came true. Seriously, if you take out the first e-mail, the rest of the "leak" looks like random guesswork, same as any other old rumor.
Well, yes. But the thing is that we should speculate over facts, and the fact is that he got right most of his info, even if he was guessing all along.

Last edited:

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
I would have liked Wolf to come back if he didn't have THAT ANNOYING SIDE B THAT NEVER HIT ANYBODY AND CAUSED SO MANY SELF DESTRUCTS WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME SAKURAI

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Sorry Sal, but you're a little too late to retake your spotlight.

Are we also going to retread the same screenshots, again, so we can tell everyone, again, that they're either fake or not from the original leak?

I think wolf and lucas were cut because 3/2 characters is too much representation for dead franchises
Er, you saw E3, right?

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord

People need to stop referring to the Gematsu "leak" in singular. There were four e-mails, three of which can be thrown out as worthless and the first of which no longer needs speculating because it all came true. Seriously, if you take out the first e-mail, the rest of the "leak" looks like random guesswork, same as any other old rumor. Conclusion: The first e-mail was a legit leak, the rest was nonsense.
If the only thing the Gematsu Leak gets wrong is Chrom, who was dropped and replaced with Lucina, I'd say that's still a pretty good track record for it being old information.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I also think Wolf is cut, but Star Fox isn't dead.
Well, it IS getting a new game, but the fact that it hasn't had a new game out in a number of years shows that it's rather slow. Two characters is plenty for star fox. Earthbound and Fzero, unless they are to get new games and actually be relevant, should stay at one player for now

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Well, yes. But the thing is that we should speculate over facts, and the fact is that he got right most of his info, even if he was guessing all along.
I don't think you read my post properly.

If the only thing the Gematsu Leak gets wrong is Chrom, who was dropped and replaced with Lucina, I'd say that's still a pretty good track record for it being old information.
I don't think you did, either.

There is no evidence that Chrom was ever planned. The facts actually suggest the opposite. What the later e-mails to Gematsu got right (because the first one need not be connected) are Palutena, X/Y Pokemon, and Shulk; this is nothing impressive.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Well, it IS getting a new game, but the fact that it hasn't had a new game out in a number of years shows that it's rather slow. Two characters is plenty for star fox. Earthbound and Fzero, unless they are to get new games and actually be relevant, should stay at one player for now
Like I said, I also believe Wolf is cut, but Star Fox is one of Nintendo's most popular and iconic franchises, so three isn't far fetched for it to have.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
I know this isn't about a character but dude.....if this thing was to be a boss by any chance, i would poop my pants....

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Yeah, but that's not out
Okay, no one take this any further than this post, but are you in fact saying that new life for a franchise begins at birth and not at conception?

Okay, okay, I got that joke out of my system. Moving on.

I think the evidence against Wolf is mounting, but not the point that I'd say he's a goner. We never had a clue Wolf was in Brawl and that's really the only saving grace here.

Sakurai might give us a bone this week, but I think that he's going to be very, very careful with reveals. A major disconfirmation less than two weeks before launch would be a major buzzkill.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Guys, we SERIOULSY need to make clear that the Ninka leak did NOT have Mewtwo and Ridley in it. Idk, just make an annotation in the OP or something.

Sal Romano isn't the leaker, it was the guy emailing him that was the leaker.

That reminds me, I'll speak of my full theory on the leaker and why it turned out the way it did. I feel that that the leaker only got the information by seeing the planning documents of the roster (that was written before the game got far into development). It is unlikely he learned of the characters from the footages themselves.

He got Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Greninja (listed as Pokemon from X/Y in his leak), Palutena, Mii Fighters, Pac-Man and now Shulk correct. Wii Fit Trainer isn't exactly the character you can come up with easily, so it was extremely unlikely he was guessing that. And the fact he got a goood chunk of the newcomers correct kind of says he really saw what was planned for the game.

Only character he got outright wrong so far is Chrom, but Chrom was actually planned for the roster as Sakurai has stated in an interview on why he didn't make the cut. They decided later that he would be just another blue-haired sword fighter just like Marth and Ike, and went with Robin instead as he is not only the other main character, but also very unique. (While the same argument could apply to Lucina, she only got in because she was originally planned as an Alt for Marth but ended up having different properties that wouldn't work as an Alt)

As for Greninja and how he listed him as "Pokemon X/Y", it is very likely because the planned roster had that name (or something similiar). In the E3 roundtable (I think the same roundtable that revealed Pac-Man), Sakurai was asked how Greninja's inclusion came about. He answered that he had Pokemon X/Y as the slot name for planning the roster as Pokemon X/Y was still in development at the time. He and the team were given finalized Pokemon designs from X/Y and they chose which one they felt would be best for the roster, which turned out to be Greninja.

So yeah, I feel the leaker was relying on information he saw from the planning document and has stuck with that until it became apparently outdated (when Chrom was deconfirmed).

Feel free to add on to this or correct me, I kind of went off by memory.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't know we were on the next page. Some probably has beaten me to the punch, so I apologize in advance.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord

That reminds me, I'll speak of my full theory on the leaker and why it turned out the way it did. I feel that that the leaker only got the information by seeing the planning documents of the roster (that was written before the game got far into development). It is unlikely he learned of the characters from the footages themselves.

He got Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Greninja (listed as Pokemon from X/Y in his leak), Palutena, Mii Fighters, Pac-Man and now Shulk correct. Wii Fit Trainer isn't exactly the character you can come up with easily, so it was extremely unlikely he was guessing that. And the fact he got a goood chunk of the newcomers correct kind of says he really saw what was planned for the game.

Only character he got outright wrong so far is Chrom, but Chrom was actually planned for the roster as Sakurai has stated in his PoTD about why Lucina didn't end up an alt costume for Marth. He ended up making Lucina a slot in the roster since she had different properties than Marth. And Sakurai felt that he couldn't have both Lucina and Chrom in the same roster, so he ended up going with Lucina instead.

As for Greninja and how he listed him as "Pokemon X/Y", it is very likely because the planned roster had that name (or something similiar). In the E3 roundtable (I think the same roundtable that revealed Pac-Man), Sakurai was asked how Greninja's inclusion came about. He answered that he had Pokemon X/Y as the slot name for planning the roster as Pokemon X/Y was still in development at the time. He and the team were given finalized Pokemon designs from X/Y and they chose which one they felt would be best for the roster, which turned out to be Greninja.

So yeah, I feel the leaker was relying on information he saw from the planning document and has stuck with that until it became apparently outdated (when Chrom was deconfirmed).

No, I think you hit the nail on the head. This is perfectly reasonable.

R0Y

Smash Master

Only character he got outright wrong so far is Chrom, but Chrom was actually planned for the roster as Sakurai has stated in his PoTD about why Lucina didn't end up an alt costume for Marth. He ended up making Lucina a slot in the roster since she had different properties than Marth. And Sakurai felt that he couldn't have both Lucina and Chrom in the same roster, so he ended up going with Lucina instead.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't know we were on the next page. Some probably has beaten me to the punch, so I apologize in advance.

The Joj

Smash Rookie
NNID
YouWantTheJoj
I know this isn't about a character but dude.....if this thing was to be a boss by any chance, i would poop my pants....
We definitely need more Earthbound reps. How about Giygas as a stage boss and Poo as a playable character?

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you read my post properly.

I don't think you did, either.

There is no evidence that Chrom was ever planned. The facts actually suggest the opposite. What the later e-mails to Gematsu got right (because the first one need not be connected) are Palutena, X/Y Pokemon, and Shulk; this is nothing impressive.
We do know that Sakurai considered Chrom AND that he chose "a Pokémon from XY" to be in the roster. DLC plans could have been refered to early talks, as well as the posibility of Lucas being cut (which is also likely right if we go by the roster leak). You raised questions as if those were a problem, but those questions might have an answer, only that we don't know it. And it doesn't matter whether the emails were different because, according to Sal, they are from the same leaker. I don't know why we should not trust all of them.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

I actually made this post after Chrom was deconfirmed but no one cared because i'm a "mindless" kid.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
It really does. Even though not everyone was on that specific leak there was certainly a lot of truth to it. Despite Chrom not being playable, it's understandable since Sakurai cut him in favor for Lucina.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
We do know that Sakurai considered Chrom AND that he chose "a Pokémon from XY" to be in the roster. DLC plans could have been refered to early talks, as well as the posibility of Lucas being cut (which is also likely right if we go by the roster leak). You raised questions as if those were a problem, but those questions might have an answer, only that we don't know it. And it doesn't matter whether the emails were different because, according to Sal, they are from the same leaker. I don't know why we should not trust all of them.
Considered =/= planned. Sakurai considered Chrom, but the language suggests that's as far as it went ("Naturally, I considered Chrom...). Nothing I've seen ever specified that they planned to add a Pokemon from X/Y, just that they had set a slot aside for a Pokemon newcomer. Sakurai himself said early on that there were no plans for DLC, as he was focused on making a complete game first; if the leaker had been looking at old, outdated documents, there should not have been anything about DLC. And surely there's no explanation for "Enjoy my good friend Shulk."

The questions without answers are Chorus Men and the possibility of post-launch DLC. The problems I raised are contradictions.

As for it being the same leaker, again meaningless. Someone can have legitimate information and lie about something else; incidentally, exactly what happened with the current ESRB leak.

It really does. Even though not everyone was on that specific leak there was certainly a lot of truth to it. Despite Chrom not being playable, it's understandable since Sakurai cut him in favor for Lucina.
Someone who was never in development can't be cut.

Rakath

Smash Ace

Close, but not quite, I do believe Chrom would be in the planning document (as he was the lord for the most recent/best selling entry) but Lucina didn't take his slot, Robin did. I imagine the way it happened was Sakurai (and his team, as it isn't all him) were looking at info for Chrom to build a moveset, and someone decided to suggest Robin. Robin's got all the things going for him: Magic, unique mechanics, no default blue hair. Robin took over Chrom's slot in the planning document (hence Chrom as part of Pair Up), and Lucina was planned as an Alt skin.

Somewhere later down the line someone was actually cut for technical reasons (maybe Climbers, maybe Chorus Kids, maybe both) and Lucina was updated to clone status to fill a hole in the CSS line-up. Changing her from Marth is relatively low impact coding, she has a few unique animations (her taunts, possibly some moves/custom specials, possibly her Final Smash) but it isn't a whole new thing from scratch. Like using leftovers to make an omelette.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Yeah i don't buy that. especially because of this part right here...

"As a replacement for the Chorus Men, the Duck Hunt Dog I am told was put in instead"

I really doubt DHD were a 'replacement' for any character . I don't think Sakurai nor his team think or work like that

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
So a woman pregnant with a baby can be labeled as a "dead lineage" just because the baby isn't born yet?
My version was funnier. But worded like this I think it's going to provoke some pretty heated responses.

So let's get back to the leak. New POTD in another hourish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom