• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Every fighter has had clones. I can't think of a single fighting game franchise off the top of my head that has had an entirely unique cast that had no similarities among one another whatsoever. (Though I admit ignorance of the BlazBlue and Guilty Gear series, since they never interested me.) It's a way of expanding the roster to appease fans who constantly want more while not pulling a Shenmue and devoting way too many resources to it. Plus, clones can evolve into virtually different movesets, much like Fox/Falco/Wolf, who, despite their visual similarities, play very, very differently from one another.

Hell, to use your Street Fighter example, any Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Sagat/Sakura/Dan main will tell you flat out that shotos aren't exact copies of one another. "Variation" would be a better word. Look similar, but play very different.
I'm not denying they play differently. I'm just saying I still hate them. I know all the logic behind having them and I still hate them.

:wario:

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I'd lock it if I were you anyways since we already talked the main topic to death and I don't see another leak happening until the japan release.
We will just make a new one. People need to quit being so sensitive.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yea, the leaker got what he deserved. Sakurai put his life into this game. He worked during holidays and his birthday, the man is dedicated and its a shame it was ruined by some ****head.

Calm down, sparky. There is more evidence to support the notion that Sakurai would have known and planned on a leak, than not have at all. If he did not, it is his own fault.
  • He is catering to the leaks information rather advantageously
  • The audience for this game is remarkably high. It single-handedly own E3, has a daily updating website, and 1000s of people posting daily to multiple headliner forums.
  • He did not have a SSE mode specifically to avoid leaks. Read: He changed the entire game to avoid leaks. Clearly he would take precautions with how certain information was bound to get out here, regardless of what he did, the...
  • Cartridge would be hacked shortly after Japanese release, far before world release, allowing no worldwide 'newcomer' feeling of surprise. And still the likely
  • Even Brawl had a leak. Games accidentally sell early all the time.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Last warning, guys, I'm not taking any more of this.
He did no harm. We r adults (mostly) or teens. Either way I'm sure we can handle humor without being a control freak. These warnings r why I won't pay premium.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm not denying they play differently. I'm just saying I still hate them. I know all the logic behind having them and I still hate them.

:wario:
In that case, I respect your opinion. I have a similarly illogical burning disdain for Dark Pit.

**** that guy.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Sakurai has a thing for anti-heroes. He does it in every game he makes nowadays. It's a bad habit he needs to break.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Sakurai has a thing for anti-heroes. He does it in every game he makes nowadays. It's a bad habit he needs to break.
And by that you mean Kid Icarus and Super Smash Bros.?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Meta Knight is a pretty great anti-hero, a lot of that comes from how he's wrapped up in mystery and the role he considers himself to have in Dream Land. You always have to be careful with anti-heroes though, the trope has been played up so much that usually they become the most annoying characters, there are so many anti-heroes that are basically "edgy and badass", but because they end up having big fanbases they're forced to work with the good guys because the game/show would lose popularity without them. Shadow and Vegeta are prime examples of this. Usually there's also a lot of moping and doping with them, which really gets to my head, I prefer when characters can work through tough times without crying in a corner for half an hour.

Whether Dark Pit follows that or not I have no idea, I just dislike him because I already dislike Pit, and I'm getting a really "edgy" vibe from him in general, but I haven't actually played Uprising. It's not something either Meta Knight or Dedede follow at all though, so they're not that kind of insufferable worn-out trope.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think Meta Knight is a pretty great anti-hero, a lot of that comes from how he's wrapped up in mystery and the role he considers himself to have in Dream Land. You always have to be careful with anti-heroes though, the trope has been played up so much that usually they become the most annoying characters, there are so many anti-heroes that are basically "edgy and badass", but because they end up having big fanbases they're forced to work with the good guys because the game/show would lose popularity without them. Shadow and Vegeta are prime examples of this.

Whether Dark Pit follows that or not I have no idea, I just dislike him because I already dislike Pit, and I'm getting a really "edgy" vibe from him in general, but I haven't actually played Uprising. It's not something either Meta Knight or Dedede follow at all though, so they're not that kind of insufferable worn-out trope.
I agree with your points on Meta Knight/Vegeta/Shadow.

Play Uprising. I can assure you that Pit has literally no edge to him what so ever. I wouldn't even say he has Sonic style ''edge". He's just a damn dweebish fool that works for Palutena essentially. Pit himself has a really likable personality IMO.

Now Dark Pit? He's something that will always seemingly divide people. I personally enjoy him, but I could see how someone couldn't. I mean I don't enjoy Shadow, but enjoy Vegeta in doses, so it's all subjective really.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I agree with your points on Meta Knight/Vegeta/Shadow.

Play Uprising. I can assure you that Pit has literally no edge to him what so ever. I wouldn't even say he has Sonic style ''edge". He's just a damn dweebish fool that works for Palutena essentially. Pit himself has a really likable personality IMO.

Now Dark Pit? He's something that will always seemingly divide people. I personally enjoy him, but I could see how someone couldn't. I mean I don't enjoy Shadow, but enjoy Vegeta in doses, so it's all subjective really.
Oh, I know Pit doesn't fall into that trope, by watching some Uprising videos I think I have a pretty good understanding of his personality. I guess I should have said what I really meant, which is that I dislike Pit's moveset in Smash, so combining that moveset with a potentially insufferable character sure doesn't seem like a good sign to me.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I think wolf and lucas were cut because 3/2 characters is too much representation for dead franchises
Mother is NOT a dead series, it's just completed. Shigesato Itoi, the creator of Mother, has said himself that the story of the trilogy is done. It is not dead, it's completed.

As for StarFox, while it has been off the scene for a while. It is far from dead, in fact, a new installment is being worked on for Wii U right now.

#BeStrongFor:lucas::wolf:

DuckHuntFTW

Smash Cadet
Oh, I know Pit doesn't fall into that trope, by watching some Uprising videos I think I have a pretty good understanding of his personality. I guess I should have said what I really meant, which is that I dislike Pit's moveset in Smash, so combining that moveset with a potentially insufferable character sure doesn't seem like a good sign to me.
You mean to tell me that You have not played Uprising? You fail as a true gamer :] I just hope your not one of those people hating on Dark Pit without actually playing the game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You mean to tell me that You have not played Uprising? You fail as a true gamer :] I just hope your not one of those people hating on Dark Pit without actually playing the game.
Why is it people always get so aggressive when I say I haven't played it? I have very little interest in playing it already, the theme and vibe of the game doesn't interest me in the slightest, and I'm only swayed further away from it whenever people say something like this.

I've already explained plenty of times why I dislike Dark Pit, it has very little to do with his personality.

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Why does it matter if he hasn't played Uprising? If he has no interest in playing, that's fine.

Gamers play what they want to play.

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
While I love the game myself and would definitely recommend it to others for the story, characters, and how fun it is, I wouldn't say one fails to be a gamer for not being interested in it. That's their belief and it should be respected.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
Yeah, but he's adorkable.
This actually makes me think that, since we have uprising, hopefully Pit has some more personality in this game vs. Brawl. Especially since he has Palutena and Dark Pit for some context.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are conversation Easter eggs in the Kid Icarus stages, a la Corneria/Venom/Shadow Moses

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
While I love the game myself and would definitely recommend it to others for the story, characters, and how fun it is, I wouldn't say one fails to be a gamer for not being interested in it. That's their belief and it should be respected.
I am fairly certain he was not being serious about not being a true gamer.

DuckHuntFTW

Smash Cadet
Why is it people always get so aggressive when I say I haven't played it? I have very little interest in playing it already, the theme and vibe of the game doesn't interest me in the slightest, and I'm only swayed further away from it whenever people say something like this.

I've already explained plenty of times why I dislike Dark Pit, it has very little to do with his personality.
Im not trying to be aggressive im just stating that most people who have not played the game should keep thier mouths shut seeing as they never played the game. Furthermore its just an ignorant comment to make that because fans cherish it and you have an opion of a character based soley on 10 minutes of video footage that when we discredit you, it only makes you want to play it less....Lol

Uprising is the total package...Unique characters. Amazing Boss batles. Great voice acting.Looooong levels which there are like 25. Amazing graphics. Solid Gameplay and decent Multiplayer...your loss bro

But im sure you came up with a fair assumption over a character after only watching 10 minutes of video.

Id be a fool to say ridleys a lame character seeing as I have never really played much metroid even though I own all the games.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
That's kinda the issue. If his information is out of date, it's not actually terribly reliable. There may be a lot of valid information in there, but speculating over it becomes a bit of a crapshoot when bits of it are guaranteed to be wrong. Also, if his info was out of date, I highly doubt he got an update on it JUST NOW. Having an out of date leak insinuates you don't work for the company any more. That usually means that you're not gonna get updates.
While I'm not going to completely disagree, you have to remember they work in extreme secrecy on Smash. If you watch/watched the Smash Bros. Treehouse segments at E3, Nate basically says they've been having to test the game in a closet so only a select few people know about the as-of-yet unknown stuff. It's highly possible that they only just now let the rest of the people know that the Chorus Men are done for.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Im not trying to be aggressive im just stating that most people who have not played the game should keep thier mouths shut seeing as they never played the game. Furthermore its just an ignorant comment to make that because fans cherish it and you have an opion of a character based soley on 10 minutes of video footage that when we discredit you, it only makes you want to play it less....Lol

Uprising is the total package...Unique characters. Amazing Boss batles. Great voice acting.Looooong levels which there are like 25. Amazing graphics. Solid Gameplay and decent Multiplayer...your loss bro

But im sure you came up with a fair assumption over a character after only watching 10 minutes of video.

Id be a fool to say ridleys a lame character seeing as I have never really played much metroid even though I own all the games.
Like I said, my dislike for Dark Pit has very little with his personality to do, but more so that he's a clone of a characters I don't like playing as in Smash Bros, and his design just isn't my thing at all. Since I have no interest in Uprising whatsoever because of its gameplay mechanics (Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are the only shooters I've ever liked, and I don't like them because they are shooters) and the whole greek theme doesn't suit me very well I'm not going to buy it, so I'll judge Dark Pit's inclusion as a character in Smash Bros with what I know. Call it an unfair judgement if you will, but it's a bit silly to say I shouldn't have an opinion on a character when he's included in something that I play as much as Smash Bros.

EDIT: Btw, I'm not really as "offended" by Dark Pit's inclusion as I probably sound like, I'll easily manage, he's not the first character in Smash I've disliked, I'm just tired of being jumped at and slapped around whenever I say he's a "meh" inclusion.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Talking about Dark Pit will allow us to delve into the madness that is Sakurai's character selection method.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280

Before this gets anymore out of hand, can we please stop the arguing? We don't want this locked, and this is sorta off subject. Just respect eachothers' opinions. :)

DuckHuntFTW

Smash Cadet
Double Post , Going Off-Topic
One cant simply call themself a gamer. Its a badge thats earned by playing multple games over many years even if that means you dont like the game. Bias is not in our vocab

Opions dont mean squat when thier based off squat lol

Last edited by a moderator:

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
One cant simply call themself a gamer. Its a badge thats earned by playing multple games over many years even if that means you dont like the game. Bias is not in our vocab
Will you be quiet with that high horse attitude already?

Sorry to go off-topic here but it looks like the Wii U version will come out in November just like those rumors said.

Amiibo's are coming out with the Wii U version so....yep...November.

Anyway back on topic..

Do you guys really think Dark Pit will be unique? Didn't the Ninka leak say that he will be a clone of Pit? Perhaps he'll be a Lucas/Wolf type clone.

DuckHuntFTW

Smash Cadet
Will you be quiet with that high horse attitude already?
Hey dont cut my throat because you people wanted a reason to why hes not a gamer...Dark pits a great addition heck any newcommer is a great addition but I guess thats just the gamer in me talking. I will take my Duck Hunt with open arms.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sorry to go off-topic here but it looks like the Wii U version will come out in November just like those rumors said.

Amiibo's are coming out with the Wii U version so....yep...November.

Anyway back on topic..

Do you guys really think Dark Pit will be unique? Didn't the Ninka leak say that he will be a clone of Pit? Perhaps he'll be a Lucas/Wolf type clone.
Don't those custom Gamecube controllers also release in November? There are more than plenty of signs pointing towards the Wii U version releasing in November at this point, which is pretty cool.

As for Dark Pit, considering he's in the same row as Dr. Mario and Lucina he's probably a clone. He might have one or two unique moves though, considering people seem to have spotted a staff in his render.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Hey dont cut my throat because you people wanted a reason to why hes not a gamer...Dark pits a great addition heck any newcommer is a great addition but I guess thats just the gamer in me talking. I will take my Duck Hunt with open arms.
Gee, a person a who doesn't play video games is hanging around a forum that's all about video games?

Look, it might be wrong for a person to openly not like something they have little knowledge of. But there's no need to badger him for it if it means little to nothing. He's not hating on the game itself, he just doesn't like one character. Get over it.

Last edited:

Mod Aure

Smash Cadet
I think he's just trying to flame and start an argument. Just ignore this guy.

Don't those custom Gamecube controllers also release in November? There are more than plenty of signs pointing towards the Wii U version releasing in November at this point, which is pretty cool.

As for Dark Pit, considering he's in the same row as Dr. Mario and Lucina he's probably a clone. He might have one or two unique moves though, considering people seem to have spotted a staff in his render.
I heard from like a week ago that some store manager said the Wii U version will release on November 2x (21 I think?). Dunno if it's legit or not, it was mentioned on this thread though. Like, 200-250 pages back. :p

And yep, pretty sure that's the Dark Pit Staff on his render. Never played Uprising but it's gonna be interesting to play as, I hope.

Last edited:

DuckHuntFTW

Smash Cadet
The leaked roster is looking absolutly amazing. All those characters are perfect. would not change a thing. Keep up the good work sakurai and dev team;]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom