• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Theory: Nintendo themselves leaked this roster onto 4chan. They can make it look however they like. They did this to help forestall and destroy the credibility of any potential actual leaks, as well as to troll those people who are following unofficial sources. The DHD picture was taken from its new Trophy render, which is why it lacks fur (as opposed to Fox and the Kongs), lending itself to a much more Trophy style presentation than what we've gotten for playable characters.
1000/10 ultra legit.

There is also no answer to how foolish the nature of this leak is. Its fairly illogical when analyzed; but I suppose that is why it could be true.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
I truly hope this is not the final roster, not just because it would be rather disappointing but it would mean that, in a sense, Sakurai failed to do what (I believe) he said he would, that being to deliver the greatest Smash Bros. roster ever. If it were to be final and the leak true, series such as Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Metroid and The Legend of Zelda have received nothing, series Star Fox, Earthbound/Mother and Pokemon have in fact lost characters since the previous installment, and only fans of Retro, Mario, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem are given anything.

It is not a good balance, and it does not even try to please almost everybody equally, instead just trying to appeal well to certain audiences while leaving many others in the dust and offering them nothing, or less than what they had to offer in Brawl.

Since this roster has added clones, it could be possible that remaining characters are clones and they will go into some of the untouched franchises, at least giving something to fans of Zelda, DK etc. I would be surprised if this were the outcome, however.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Going to repeat what I said elsewhere. There are two things that I think bear stating.

1.) Design choices and roster choices you don't agree with don't make this fake. (Ex. Why Doctor Mario or Why is Yoshi where he is?)

2.) Pretty renders on multiple pictures don't make this real. If this is a fake, it is likely perpetrated by multiple individuals with a background in design and modeling, so the renders could easily be fake.
Touchè.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Veterans: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario, G&W, DK, Diddy, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Samus, Zamus, Pit, Marth, Ike, Kirby, Dedede, MK, Fox, Falco, Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Jigglypuff, ROB, Ness, Falcon, Olimar, Dr. Mario, Sonic

Newcomers: Bowser Jr., Rosalina, Palutena, Robin, Little Mac, Greninja, Duck Hunt, Villager, WFT, Dark Pit, Lucina, Shulk, Pac-Man, Mega Man

The five extra slots, going by other leaks: Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Chorus Men, and Ridley. However, unless Mii Fighters have a separate way of being selected, they may replace one of these five characters.

That's one hell of a roster. I'd sure be happy with it.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If true, I really think Climbers are out. No reason for them to be unlockables, and we know Sakurai was having some trouble with them on 3DS at one point or another.

Really hope we can grab Lucas and Wolf as DLC at the very least if this thing ends up being real.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
A few days ago Neo Zero shared that he had two sources telling him two different things. I forget the exact details now, but it was something like the first did not want to make any definite statements but said that we had more than one trailer, the second said Mach Rider and a few others were in. If I'm mistaken, someone who remembers better please, by all means correct me. I could be off a little.

Yes, they probably would leave that telltale detail in-tact, because it appears as if this was all meant to stay a secret between friends, but sadly the friend(s) the source entrusted the pictures to betrayed that trust and allowed the pictures to be shared with the public.
If I was an employee for a company as large as ESRB, and I was brave/stupid enough to think I could leak things at all, I'm still pretty certain I would leave the ESRB bit out. It's a really, really stupid mistake not to. I don't think a leaker who knows it could potentially cost him his job and a bunch of other legal issues would be that careless unless they were outright stupid. I really don't believe that. I'm trying to give the leaker a little bit of credit and integrity, just a little. Because otherwise he'd have zippo integrity or intelligence.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
To be fair, Gematsu didn't have pictures. It would have been much easier to axe off if there were pictures.
Not really. From the second leak to Gematsu's 'death', there were three reveal trailers (four if you count Greninja, which isn't really fair since it was the day of). Simply switching one of those with Robin's would have done the job.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Veterans: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario, G&W, DK, Diddy, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Samus, Zamus, Pit, Marth, Ike, Kirby, Dedede, MK, Fox, Falco, Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Jigglypuff, ROB, Ness, Falcon, Olimar, Dr. Mario, Sonic

Newcomers: Bowser Jr., Rosalina, Palutena, Robin, Little Mac, Greninja, Duck Hunt, Villager, WFT, Dark Pit, Lucina, Shulk, Pac-Man, Mega Man

The five extra slots, going by other leaks: Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Chorus Men, and Ridley. However, unless Mii Fighters have a separate way of being selected, they may replace one of these five characters.

That's one hell of a roster. I'd sure be happy with it.
That's still only five villains though...and about 5 heavyweights. Kinda disappointing in that regard, bit otherwise pretty impressive. That said, the dlc is supposedly complete bs.

StarKun

Smash Champion
NNID
Star-Kun
If true, I really think Climbers are out. No reason for them to be unlockables, and we know Sakurai was having some trouble with them on 3DS at one point or another.

Really hope we can grab Lucas and Wolf as DLC at the very least if this thing ends up being real.
If the dlc part of the leak is fake and we have more characters to be unlocked, then I betcha at least Lucas will be there.

I don't care if ice climbers are gone, but if the dog is a replacement, then I'll happily embrace that fact.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
What I've collected from this thread is that nobody is at blame other than Adobe, the creators of Photoshop. Nintendo will sue Adobe and get their company shot down and take over all of their programs, with Art Academy replacing Photoshop. Nintendo will start building life-sized, fully functional R.O.B's to take over the world, and then have the Nintendo Ninja's raid everyone's house and replace everything with Mario. They will then start using cloning devices and DNA extracts to create Olimar, Kirby, Samus, Ness, and Fox to go travel to other planets and turn them into new worlds. After several years of living under Nintendo's laws, the world will eventually be taken over by R.O.B's, with all human life becoming extinct. Before the R.O.B's eventually die, they used Nintendo's cloning device to eventually create several characters from the Mario franchise, including Mario, Peach, Rosalina, Toad, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. and many more. The characters are sent off to the new worlds that were created many years ago..

AND THUS, SUPER MARIO GALAXY WAS BORN!
Sounds like Nintendo is taking a page from Google's book.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
That's still only five villains though...and about 5 heavyweights. Kinda disappointing in that regard, bit otherwise pretty impressive. That said, the dlc is supposedly complete bs.
Yes, the DLC is fake, but remember the leaker said that character selection screen was an incomplete roster. It allows for a maximum of five more.

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
So I've been away the last few hours. Is there anything I should add to the first post?
About the different hands thing:

At this point, all of us should know the pictures from the leak have ****ty quality and everything about color/saturation/brightness/contrast is all messed up.

That's why some people thought Wario had only one eye, G&W's hand was part of Wario's clothes, Ganondorf was too dark, Toon Link had a black thing on his hair (it ended up being his own hair's shadow), and anything implying shadowing/coloring mistakes.

This is clearly the same case with the hand. It appears to have a thicker line just because of the already messy contrast of the leaked pictures that makes the shadow look much more aggresive, that's all! It's the same for the finger, it appears to be thiner in the leak because of the shadow in its side becoming too dark and consuming part of the finger.

And well, of course they do not look exactly the same, it's an animated 3D object! You can't say they are not the same hand just because the cuffs look slightly different. That's what happens when you move a 3D object in space with perspective and stuff :p
Also, I took the sample photo and modifiet it by just adjusting brightness, contrast, saturation, and not touching any more than that, to make it look like the leaked photo, and there you go. I think they look exactly the same (just different pose because of the animation, that's it):

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just watch, those 5 spaces are going to be for you to store your custom Miis when you turn customizations on.

StarKun

Smash Champion
NNID
Star-Kun
Forgive me, I don't hold enough stock in this to read through 100-something pages haha
To help you out and maybe anybody else who wants to bring up other points in the leak, the second post on the first page of the thread has all the arguments that have been brought up so far.

HAEJIN

Smash Apprentice
Because SmashBoard will believe any and every leak. During Brawl, there was a lot more reasonable skepticism and if something was debunked, it was dead. No questions asked. Now, you have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that its fake in an age where it is very easy to use photoshop. Heck, even after clear cut evidence that Shulk, Dr. Mario and Wario renders were taken from other sources, people STILL believe it's real. The ONLY thing people have been hanging onto is a Famitsu scan that looks kind of similar to a small blurry box.

The leak is dead.
  • It is FACT that Shulk's render is identical to Little Mac
  • It is FACT that Dr. Mario's render is identical to an official Nintendo render of Mario
  • It is FACT that Wario is based on screenshots from the Subspace Emissary
  • The leaker misspelled "disable"
  • The laurel is incorrect in one pic
  • The pictures are inconsistent
  • Ness is inconsistent will ALL of his models and artwork.
  • Yoshi splits the Mario cats which is inconsistent from ALL Smash Brothers games
  • The lines in the select screen are not properly aligned
  • It is FACT that the ESRB does not play games and instead gets videos so the game could not leak from there
  • The character backgrounds are different than the E3 Demo and the official 3DS trailer
  • There are "KO" when KOs are 0, which is inconsistent with ALL other Smash Brothers games and the E3 Demo
  • There are no names under the character's portraits which is inconsistent with ALL Smash Brothers games and both the 3DS and Wii U demos
  • Mr Game and Watch's model is different that what was shown in the Pac-Man trailer.
  • CPU characters have colored backgrounds which is inconsistent with ALL Smash Brothers games and the 3DS and Wii U demos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M9ZgS3GT0I&list=PL1ZckmCN92YsMyigw1Py-lIlrbZqxjMNz

No but seriously. What the hell is wrong with people

Last edited:

Repiteo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Repiteo
Calling it now.

The 5 spaces are gonna be used for Ridley a la Exodia.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
Going to repeat what I said elsewhere. There are two things that I think bear stating.

1.) Design choices and roster choices you don't agree with don't make this fake. (Ex. Why Doctor Mario or Why is Yoshi where he is?)

2.) Pretty renders on multiple pictures don't make this real. If this is a fake, it is likely perpetrated by multiple individuals with a background in design and modeling, so the renders could easily be fake.
Yes, there are too many things taken as "proof" that can't be verified. On your second point, as much as I believe this roster, the professionalism of NintendoOn (and that was one person) helps me to understand that yes, people are very talented and can make insanely convincing material. Never doubt the community!

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585

Also, I took the sample photo and modifiet it by just adjusting brightness, contrast, saturation, and not touching any more than that, to make it look like the leaked photo, and there you go. I think they look exactly the same (just different pose because of the animation, that's it):

Thank you for this, I'll update that now.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yes, the DLC is fake, but remember the leaker said that character selection screen was an incomplete roster. It allows for a maximum of five more.
And, if the leak did indeed come from the ESRB as has been stated and indicated by the name on the characters, this disconfirms it right there. The ESRB needs to see the full roster, because there is potential to change the rating in any material excluded. For example, if Bayonetta was one of the "held back" characters, that could have a severe impact on the rating. All characters and content needs to be seen by the rating board.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
To help you out and maybe anybody else who wants to bring up other points in the leak, the second post on the first page of the thread has all the arguments that have been brought up so far.
WELL, now I'M the one with egg on my face haha! Thanks for sharing that, I usually think to look but I have like 20 tabs open at the moment. Internet is hard

kylexv

Smash Master
Not True:

Villains: :4bowser::ganondorf::4dedede:BJ D.Pit Ridley
Heavyweights: :4dk::4bowser::4dedede::4charizard:Ridley

Unless your talking about JUST the leak roster.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

is it just me or does it look like the E3 one is pushing the coin down, there even seems to be some force effects around it

Last edited by a moderator:

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
Assuming Bowser Jr. is real, I actually believe he's going to be a new heavyweight just because of the Koopa Car thing.

Repiteo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Repiteo
And, if the leak did indeed come from the ESRB as has been stated and indicated by the name on the characters, this disconfirms it right there. The ESRB needs to see the full roster, because there is potential to change the rating in any material excluded. For example, if Bayonetta was one of the "held back" characters, that could have a severe impact on the rating. All characters and content needs to be seen by the rating board.
Counterpoint

The image in question had ESRB0083 as the name, and a theory being brought up is that it is the 83rd video snippit shown to the ESRB. It is entirely possible that this is not one of the last videos, and is instead a median video showing the layout of the stage selection screen, with a later one having the full roster, that simply never got captured because it was likely that getting a photo in to begin with would be a nightmare to pull off.

StarKun

Smash Champion
NNID
Star-Kun
WELL, now I'M the one with egg on my face haha! Thanks for sharing that, I usually think to look but I have like 20 tabs open at the moment. Internet is hard
I see a lot of people make that mistake. No worried, it's just bugging me that people are like "gegehbehbheg fake because (already countered reason)" My bad for being testy.

Not True:

Heavyweights: :4dk::4bowser::4dedede::4charizard:Ridley, and possibly :rosalina:
I dunno why, but I always found it funny how Rosalina is portrayed as heavy.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Not True:

Heavyweights: :4dk::4bowser::4dedede::4charizard:Ridley, and possibly :rosalina:
Rosalina is not. Ridley may not be in, we have no idea, but I counted him anyway. Dark pit is not a villain and helps pit multiple times, just like dedede. Bowser Ganon bowser jr and Ridley are really villains.

If you want to further discuss pm me, this is off topic.

At any rate, this leak, if from the ESRB , should feature the full roster. But we know what the original leaker said must be false right?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I see a lot of people make that mistake. No worried, it's just bugging me that people are like "gegehbehbheg fake because (already countered reason)" My bad for being testy.

I dunno why, but I always found it funny how Rosalina is portrayed as heavy.
Well being really tall you are generally heavier than shorter people.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Not True:

Heavyweights: :4dk::4bowser::4dedede::4charizard:Ridley

Unless your talking about JUST the leak roster.
Well, Dark Pit's not REALLY a villain. But I pretty much agree.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
Assuming Bowser Jr. is real, I actually believe he's going to be a new heavyweight just because of the Koopa Car thing.
If this is the case I could see him being like Snake. Heavier, focused on projectiles and "traps," with an awesome recovery. Not as hot tho :(

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Nintendo would be stupid not to use DLC for this game. Whether it brings back cut veterans, newcomers, stages, costumes, music, whatever, if it's reasonably priced.
So even if that particular DLC list was made up, which I and even the mods don't seem to be 100% sure on, I'd still bank on DLC happening in the future, and at least a couple of those cut veterans being part of it.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I honestly think Gematsu was much more believable than this one is at this point, simply because until Chrom's deconfirmation Gematsu had gotten everything right, a lot of times over, with some fairly obscure characters. Not impossible to guess, but I would say quite difficult at the very least. If Shulk and Chorus Men/Rhythm Heaven Rep end up being in the game as well, I'm going to have to say I believe Gematsu was a true leak, and was simply mistaken about Chrom.

The only hard evidence or backup this leak has so far is the Tomodachi Life stage, which while interesting, isn't quite enough to make it completely without doubt - or, it's also possible only the stage select screen is true. I think it's got a semi-fair chance of being real, but it's also got a good chance of being fake. It's going to be very simple to confirm or deconfirm though, as soon as we get another character who's on that CSS or one of those characters gets confirmed as an alt/assist trophy. I don't think we'll have to wait all the way up until the Japanese release to find out, so we'll know one way or the other pretty soon regardless.
ehh... I never really believed Gematsu as a leak, but more as a lucky speculator who made their predictions into a leak. Aside from WFT and Chorus Kids it was merely just a glorified prediction in my eyes. Yet, I am still skeptical about the leak

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Another problem I have with this leak, why would Bowser Jr. only fight in that Koopa Car? We've seen him fight plenty times without it before.

Last edited:

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
Counterpoint

The image in question had ESRB0083 as the name, and a theory being brought up is that it is the 83rd video snippit shown to the ESRB. It is entirely possible that this is not one of the last videos, and is instead a median video showing the layout of the stage selection screen, with a later one having the full roster, that simply never got captured because it was likely that getting a photo in to begin with would be a nightmare to pull off.
This. And I also mentioned earlier that an incomplete CSS means little as long as they see all the characters in play. Who's to say that this clip wasn't followed by one of Ridley's final smash :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom