• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I find it a bit disappointing how repetitive the stage ideas are for Mario's levels on the 3DS (save for Rainbow Road)

3D Land - Grassland with scrolling
NSMB2 Stage - Grassland with scrolling + coins
Mushroomy Kingdom - Was a grassland but now in ruins + scrolling

And we have a Paper Mario stage that starts off in a grassland world that borrows some of the design elements from NSMB's world (talking about visual designs like the hills). But that is sort of saved by turning into a stage that completely transforms, so it's not a big a deal.

IDK, I'm sure each level plays differently and may be even fun, but I'd like a little diversity. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I'm not seeing the point of your argument, because:
- Since it won't be a 7x7 grid you can't accurately place the franchises so the rows are even.
- There will, mathematically speaking, be dead space on one version of the game or the other, unless the rosters came to 47 (6x8 and 4x12), 55 (7x8 and 4x14) or 59 (6x10 and 4x15). Those are the numbers grid that evenly space on both the 3DS (6 or 7 rows, but I lean towards 6 as seven makes for a lot of dead space) and Wii-U (4 rows, the basic dimensions of a TV screen haven't changed since Brawl came out, except they can extend outward as 4:3 ratio TVs are mostly dead).
- This of course assumes that there are more characters, both screens could just use less than clean grids.
- And the grids need to modify for the fact that Miis could be listed if you're playing with customizing.
I did make a 7x7 grid where the franchises were not mixed. I don't get your point with those equations because the only numbers that matter are the number of characters in the leak, and the number of spaces in the leak. There are 49 spaces taken on the leak (7x7) and there are 54 spaces available (9x6). Seeing as 49 rectangles is so easy to get into a block I see no reason why a 7x7 grid is not used in the CSS.

I'm not saying the leak is incorrect if that's what you think. I am saying that because of this irregularity I believe we will get more characters.

Naoshi

I suspect the five spaces left are indeed left for characters.

I have more then mere suspicion to believe Mewtwo and Ridley will be included.
Also several missing veterans suggest that possibly there are a few more to unlock.

The leaker had only posted the roster of what he had unlocked thus far.
Complicated, difficult, or perhaps even modes not accessible to them resulted in some characters not being unlocked yet.

Ie. Online gameplay.

Very possible these five spaces could be characters, but there's a chance that they are just blank spaces, although I heavily doubt that.
I don't think it'd be wise for them to have character unlocks (or any other unlocks) through solely online play. That's kind of not a smart idea from a designer's point of view.

But I do agree that there may be more to be seen.

WooMooWooWooMoo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Quattro_Thunder
3DS FC
1934-0666-8269
@ WooMooWooWooMoo WooMooWooWooMoo : The 3DS stage screen (possibly incomplete), and that Bowser Jr., Wario, Mr. Game&Watch, Ganondorf, Falco, Jigglypuff, Duck Hunt Dog, Rob, Ness, Doc Mario, and Dark Pit are part of the playable roster.

We're mostly debating if there's room for more on the roster.

Of course, confirmed is a very touchy word when dealing with leaked information from dubious sources with dubious intentions. When we have multiple fake leaks, reported fake leaks tacked on to these leaks, and someone who was purposefully editing this leak to make it less believable to protect someone's job. So pretty much we definitely know that Ganondorf is in the game.
Cool and thanks for the info.

About the slots. I could see Wolf, one Ice Climber with a new/more powerful move set, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong or Cranky Kong, and the Chorus Kids.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't think it'd be wise for them to have character unlocks (or any other unlocks) through solely online play. That's kind of not a smart idea from a designer's point of view.

But I do agree that there may be more to be seen.
It's more of a microsoft thing to do, but anythings possible in my opinion, plus we're seeing Nintendo do a lot of things i'd never really see them do recently. Agreed though yeah it's not smart.

Naoshi

It's more of a microsoft thing to do, but anythings possible in my opinion, plus we're seeing Nintendo do a lot of things i'd never really see them do recently. Agreed though yeah it's not smart.
I'm not sure, it sort of feels like going against their own game design. I know Nintendo has done things they don't normally do, but I don't really see them wanting to risk that on a game like Smash Bros. Smash Bros is very suited as a game for local play, it's not really online-centric.

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
I'm not sure, it sort of feels like going against their own game design. I know Nintendo has done things they don't normally do, but I don't really see them wanting to risk that on a game like Smash Bros. Smash Bros is very suited as a game for local play, it's not really online-centric.
That's because the online in brawl failed. Believe me I will be playing the **** out of this game online if it doesn't lag like **** like last time.

Rakath

Smash Ace
I did make a 7x7 grid where the franchises were not mixed. I don't get your point with those equations because the only numbers that matter are the number of characters in the leak, and the number of spaces in the leak. There are 49 spaces taken on the leak (7x7) and there are 54 spaces available (9x6). Seeing as 49 rectangles is so easy to get into a block I see no reason why a 7x7 grid is not used in the CSS.

I'm not saying the leak is incorrect if that's what you think. I am saying that because of this irregularity I believe we will get more characters.
Yes, but here's the problem with your grid, characters do not generally get more detailed in landscape, the best use of space is to have a generally head shaped tile for each character. Characters generally have heads that fit into a tile that's basically a square. So it makes more sense to put the characters into longer rows with less of them than to put them in a perfect grid. So there is no version of the game CSS that would ever be an even length-height grid for the characters. It wastes so much space no matter what you do with it.

Stages are, by comparison, easier to display in landscape because they are, in a sense, landscapes. They are land, and you are looking at them, and with the exception of Prism Tower, you would get no more details by making the panels square, or portrait dimensioned.

The importance of the math is which game has the pretty CSS (Hint: Not the 3DS), so when deciding on a CSS dimension to favor, they will probably give the even grid to the Wii-U, and the grid with blanks to the 3DS. The grids I specifically mentioned would be full grids on either system. 6x9 is not one of them. If they were to fill out the 3DS screen there would be two blank spaces on the Wii-U screen (4x14 with two empties). Conversely if this roster, as it appears, with only 48 characters on the ESRB leak, on the Wii-U screen it would lead to a 4x13 grid with 3 blank spaces.

This means, by logic, that 3 more characters is the most likely aesthetically pleasing answer. But there is a possibility for 5 more and the Wii-U screen having the empty spaces since there's a much nicer background for it.

WooMooWooWooMoo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Quattro_Thunder
3DS FC
1934-0666-8269
Yes, but here's the problem with your grid, characters do not generally get more detailed in landscape, the best use of space is to have a generally head shaped tile for each character. Characters generally have heads that fit into a tile that's basically a square. So it makes more sense to put the characters into longer rows with less of them than to put them in a perfect grid. So there is no version of the game CSS that would ever be an even length-height grid for the characters. It wastes so much space no matter what you do with it.

Stages are, by comparison, easier to display in landscape because they are, in a sense, landscapes. They are land, and you are looking at them, and with the exception of Prism Tower, you would get no more details by making the panels square, or portrait dimensioned.

The importance of the math is which game has the pretty CSS (Hint: Not the 3DS), so when deciding on a CSS dimension to favor, they will probably give the even grid to the Wii-U, and the grid with blanks to the 3DS. The grids I specifically mentioned would be full grids on either system. 6x9 is not one of them. If they were to fill out the 3DS screen there would be two blank spaces on the Wii-U screen (4x14 with two empties). Conversely if this roster, as it appears, with only 48 characters on the ESRB leak, on the Wii-U screen it would lead to a 4x13 grid with 3 blank spaces.

This means, by logic, that 3 more characters is the most likely aesthetically pleasing answer. But there is a possibility for 5 more and the Wii-U screen having the empty spaces since there's a much nicer background for it.
Not trying to sounds like "that guy" but what if the CSS scrolls? Just a thought

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
Initially Brawl was suppose to have individual tracks for victory themes per character, and not just Meta Knight. From a coding level this really isn't any different. The various Koopa Kids would have their own audio tracks anyway. Same as Lucina, and Doc for the one sound effect that is definitely different from Mario's. The text on the victory screen isn't animated, so it's a low impact edit compared to making an entirely new character slot.

P.S.: Non-clone Lucina wouldn't have her mask taunt, so "Marth" being announced as the winner would make just about as much sense as any other characters sharing alt space. But this presupposes her initial model was masked Lucina.
Yeah this makes sense. But I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't want it. If they ended up putting own voices and narrator voice for alt costumes, it would be perfect!

But even from a programing level, one thing is to add things like Lucas or Ninten voices and the narrator voice for their names to the alt of Ness. But other thing is add SEVEN voice sets and narrator voices to a single character.
It's not a question of space in the game, this one don't have SSE to steal memory. The question is if they would go so far in doing that for every single alt they would like to add that represents another character.

That's why I think it wo't happen. But oh boy, how I want to be wrong.

Last edited:

Rakath

Smash Ace
Not trying to sounds like "that guy" but what if the CSS scrolls? Just a thought
If it scrolled I would figure the individual size of the tiles would be bigger. You don't squish things to 40x40 (approx) unless you were trying to max out on space. Then they would just use the 4xwhatever ratio of the Wii-U one and you scroll it left to right. That makes each tile about 60x60.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Okay I feel like chiming in here about the character selection an as to why it may look so weird to us. The order is probably off because the screenshot is not from the final build. And if you think it is, remember apparently these images where available to a small set of people for a time. So it is entirely possible that the characters orders will change.

Also I'm sure the 3DS version as not gone golden yet, or is about to, so on't be surprised if the roster selection screen loos nothing like the one in the image.

And for you who are saying Yoshi is being a Mario rep, most of his moveset is pulled from the Yoshi series

WooMooWooWooMoo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Quattro_Thunder
3DS FC
1934-0666-8269
If it scrolled I would figure the individual size of the tiles would be bigger. You don't squish things to 40x40 (approx) unless you were trying to max out on space. Then they would just use the 4xwhatever ratio of the Wii-U one and you scroll it left to right. That makes each tile about 60x60.
True

EDIT: What if its the same size tile boxes, but it scrolls for more characters? There isn't a set number of characters, just as many as they can/want to add.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Okay I feel like chiming in here about the character selection an as to why it may look so weird to us. The order is probably off because the screenshot is not from the final build. And if you think it is, remember apparently these images where available to a small set of people for a time. So it is entirely possible that the characters orders will change.

Also I'm sure the 3DS version as not gone golden yet, or is about to, so on't be surprised if the roster selection screen loos nothing like the one in the image.

And for you who are saying Yoshi is being a Mario rep, most of his moveset is pulled from the Yoshi series
The 3DS version is out in less than two weeks. It's most certainly gone gold already.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
A lot of people just view it as the same situation as Pink Gold Peach, regardless of how similar it is or is not.
Well, I can't argue with that.

You folks are still arguing about the legitimacy of this leak? How quaint.
At this point I'm pretty sure we all know for a fact it's true. It would be dumb to think otherwise. The only doubt we have is whether this is the full roster or not.

boy did i read a lot, so.... anything else?
Nope, same as a few days ago.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
The 3DS version is out in less than two weeks. It's most certainly gone gold already.
Yeah, which is why I think its about to go golden, not already gone. Most likely it will start today, and the game shops in Japan will have it mid next week.

And the point I was trying to make was that the CSS will most likely have change since the image we saw was most likely from a beta build.

Naoshi

That's because the online in brawl failed. Believe me I will be playing the **** out of this game online if it doesn't lag like **** like last time.
?? Wha? That doesn't make any sense. Characters unlock not requiring online has nothing to do with Brawl's online being a failure.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Any of you guys remember this?

This was posted the same day as the one on 4chan that prompted Ninka and vaanrose to come forward.
Interesting thing about this one is that the "D" once speculated on being Donkey kong is actually Duck hunt and the "M" Being Mario.
Also seems to have predicted the return of Cut melee characters, and clones not being considered newcomers.
The most striking part to me though is that it seems to have predicted 53 characters, 53+random appears to be what we're getting if the open space on the roster gets filled.

Naoshi

Is there a bigger version of this pic? It's too small to read the posts themselves.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
Well guys the just think in less then 2 weeks we will have no need to talk of leaks(unless it is related to DLC).
Any of you guys remember this?

This was posted the same day as the one on 4chan that prompted Ninka and vaanrose to come forward.
Interesting thing about this one is that the "D" once speculated on being Donkey kong is actually Duck hunt and the "M" Being Mario.
Also seems to have predicted the return of Cut melee characters, and clones not being considered newcomers.
The most striking part to me though is that it seems to have predicted 53 characters, 53+random appears to be what we're getting if the open space on the roster gets filled.
I do remember this, could be interesting(plus it has Mewtwo so yes!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom