• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Is anyone else hype for how Dark Pit could potentially turn out? Really, I can see him being a semi-clone of Pit with different Uprising weapons replacing certain specials. Dr. Mario would technically stand as a semi-clone at this point with Melee moveset because of Mario and Luigi's changes over the years.

D

Deleted member

Actually, both Xenoblade Chronicles (The one for Wii and the upcoming one) are published by Nintendo. I think Shulk is counted as some type of, 2nd party character? :p
The fact that the xeno universe goes through 3 different publishers puts Shulk in a weird spot, where he is almost in between 2nd party and 3rd party, which might be why he starts the the 3rd party characters

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Um, Xenoblade is Nintendo.

If Galacta Knight gets in over Bandana Dee I might go crazy. Honestly, I don't think this ERSB rating thing ties in with this leak.
"Is Nintendo" is pretty vague.

The Xeno series is a property of Monolith Soft and Tetsuya Takahashi. It was originally published by Square, then when they dropped Monolith Soft, Namco published the next few games in the series. Monolith Soft was then purchased by Nintendo, making them a second party. Xenoblade Chronicles, specifically, is published by Nintendo and developed by Monolith Soft.

The reason I'm surprised is because cases like this are generally stopped before they begin because of potential legal ramifications if one of the series's former publishers decide they want a slice. With Pac-Man, Sonic and Mega Man, all of which are fully owned by their original creators, it's as simple as a written agreement. In Xenoblade's case, the path is a little more... shaky.

Good for Xenoblade fans that he got in. I'm just still surprised that he did, in fact, get in.

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Also, for Wolf fans, remember wolf was the last unlock-able in Brawl

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
"Doc over RIDLEY?!?!" comments.
Well it happened before, after all. :troll:
I am actually sorry for a few of the Ridley fans, though. He was probably their most-wanted character, and now someone like Wii Fit Trainer got in over him.
That said, I'm still going to laugh my *** off at the Ridley fans who thought he was 100% playable, or had one of their main reasons for wanting him to be to piss people off.

lavadeira

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0917-9729
Is anyone else hype for how Dark Pit could potentially turn out? Really, I can see him being a semi-clone of Pit with different Uprising weapons replacing certain specials. Dr. Mario would technically stand as a semi-clone at this point with Melee moveset because of Mario and Luigi's changes over the years.
Agreed.

(Dear Lord, that Jack Frost in your signature. I secretly wanted Flynn in SSB4 since the release of his game)

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm coming to a logical conclusion based on the other a hundred "**** X character" and "Doc over RIDLEY?!?!" comments.
Makes sense. I can respect that.

But yeah. My comments are based purely on my deeply seeded and nonsensical burning hatred for the Kid Icarus franchise. Nothing logical about the argument. I just don't get why it suddenly went from a vague, forgotten 1980s platformer to one of the most highly represented Smash franchises, and "**** that guy" is about all I can say at this point. :rolleyes:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
"Is Nintendo" is pretty vague.

The Xeno series is a property of Monolith Soft and Tetsuya Takahashi. It was originally published by Square, then when they dropped Monolith Soft, Namco published the next few games in the series. Monolith Soft was then purchased by Nintendo, making them a second party. Xenoblade Chronicles, specifically, is published by Nintendo and developed by Monolith Soft.

The reason I'm surprised is because cases like this are generally stopped before they begin because of potential legal ramifications if one of the series's former publishers decide they want a slice. With Pac-Man, Sonic and Mega Man, all of which are fully owned by their original creators, it's as simple as a written agreement. In Xenoblade's case, the path is a little more... shaky.

Good for Xenoblade fans that he got in. I'm just still surprised that he did, in fact, get in.
Xenoblade is published by Nintendo, while Xeno series probably is third party. So in other words I pretty much agree with this post. :p

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Shulk's status is definitely weird, but yeah, in a way I do enjoy that he is in the 3rd party row.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Well, folks, Imma go to bed now, only to wake up around 4:00 am (as I always do, ugh), check the likely uneventful PotD, and then go back to sleep. Don't do anything too exciting while I'm gone! (aka... get that Duck Hunt footage. Doooo it.)

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I am actually sorry for a few of the Ridley fans, though. He was probably their most-wanted character, and now someone like Wii Fit Trainer got in over him.
That said, I'm still going to laugh my *** off at the Ridley fans who thought he was 100% playable, or had one of their main reasons for wanting him to be to piss people off.
Ridley is my most wanted, and has been for 14 years. but Wii Fit Trainer I understand. It was a revolutionary series for the industry, and even though she was a new challenger, she quickly earned her spot, just like Shulk for his critically acclaimed masterpiece.

Now, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario before Ridley? NOT okay. but this is still the most satisfying roster ever. The difference in satisfaction of this game for me between Ridley and no Ridley is like 1%.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
It's starting to get annoying when people act like we have the final roster - despite TONS of evidence saying it isn't.

Ridley may be playable, Mewtwo may be playable. Get over it.

Bobomberman

Smash Cadet

Okay since I can't find the original image I'll just use this one.

Anyway, honestly how hard would it be to just photoshop a lock onto that, to mess with us and make us think there's more characters? Like others have stated Sakurai has never shown locked items, they just kinda appear as little surprises.

What if just to mess with us and cause further chaos, the leaker (who has lied in the past) just put a lock on the menu and called it a day? Does it make any sense that Sakurai's only means of showing a mode is locked would be a small lock in the top left of the screen?

On top of that the top right of the lock is chipped, seems kinda odd and out of place. Of all the things we've questioned the photoshop of, this should be the most glaring one.

As much as I want there to still be characters this is just a glaring discrepancy that seems off to me.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I think them purchasing Monolith soft made them 1st party not 2nd. They own 100% of them so...
That is the very definition of a second party.

First Party = Nintendo itself.
Second Party = Directly owned, whether by direct purchase or >50% stock investment, so they answer to Nintendo.
Third Party = An independent company who signs some sort of agreement to create things for Nintendo during the period of the contract.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Shulk is a Nintendo character. He is first party. Xenoblade Chronicles is developed by Monolith Soft but it is published by Nintendo and Nintendo owns Monolith Soft.

He is in the same situation as any Pokemon, developed by Game Freak, or Fire Emblem Character, developed by Intelligent Systems. He is no less of a Nintendo character than any are. The "Xeno" series is arguably a series... more just games by the same developers that share similar themes. Xenogears is separate from the Xenosaga series is separate from the Xenoblade Chronicles series.

Egg-Off the Conquerer

Smash Apprentice

Anyway, honestly how hard would it be to just photoshop a lock onto that, to mess with us and make us think there's more characters? Like others have stated Sakurai has never shown locked items, they just kinda appear as little surprises.

What if just to mess with us and cause further chaos, the leaker (who has lied in the past) just put a lock on the menu and called it a day? Does it make any sense that Sakurai's only means of showing a mode is locked would be a small lock in the top left of the screen?

On top of that the top right of the lock is chipped, seems kinda odd and out of place. Of all the things we've questioned the photoshop of, this should be the most glaring one.

As much as I want there to still be characters this is just a glaring discrepancy that seems off to me.
Or more to the point, what if the lock doesn't actually mean anything? What if it's just there to show that this is an unlockable mode...?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

...he wouldn't do that....right? ;~;

R0Y

Smash Master
The Xenoblade IP is owned by Nintendo as part of them owning Monolith Soft 97 percent now. Bandai Namco sold their shares to Nintendo.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
it seems that Shulk has a gimik with the Monado, you can see the symbols appear on him making his feet glow... wierd, i havent got far in Xenoblade Chronicles but I have never seen something like that happen. prehaps it is a speed boost, maybe there are others

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Shulk is a Nintendo character. He is first party. Xenoblade Chronicles is developed by Monolith Soft but it is published by Nintendo and Nintendo owns Monolith Soft.

He is in the same situation as any Pokemon, developed by Game Freak, or Fire Emblem Character, developed by Intelligent Systems. He is no less of a Nintendo character than any are. The "Xeno" series is arguably a series... more just games by the same developers that share similar themes. Xenogears is separate from the Xenosaga series is separate from the Xenoblade Chronicles series.
I understand that. But legally, that is hazy. In most cases like this, a company like Nintendo wouldn't consider the potential legal ramifications (should an old publisher claim certain rights to the series's representation) worth the character's investment and avoid him altogether. It's just surprising that they went ahead and did it.

As for your examples, Pokemon and Fire Emblem have always been published by Nintendo and hold no ties to any former owner or publisher, thus there's no messy legal work. Not the same thing.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Ok you CAN complain about WFT since she definitely wasnt tacked on at the end... but just know what someone somewhere wanted her in... Emphasis on someONE.

Last edited:

RedHotRubberDucky

Smash Cadet
Mario, Pokemon, star fox, retro, third party, wario, donkey kong, f-zero, metroid, kid Icarus, Zelda and fire emblem are all franchises over represented in this game. We need more Game & Watch reps.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Wait so I've been hearing people say there are the Koopalings as alts for Bowser Jr? Is that true?

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Anyway, here's my opinion on this:
1. Mushroomy Kingdom coming back kinda stinks. I didn't really hate it, but I didn't like. Pokemon Stadium 2 would have been a much better choice IMO.
2. Dr. Mario returning. WHY. Like the biggest clone ever in my opinion, coming back.
Pretty much it at the moment, have to wait to make final judgements.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Mario, Pokemon, star fox, retro, third party, wario, donkey kong, f-zero, metroid, kid Icarus, Zelda and fire emblem are all franchises over represented in this game. We need more Game & Watch reps.
F-Zero is overrepped? I guess you'd be losing your main if things were fair, huh? :4falcon:

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice

Well, where's Game and Watch? Chronologically he should be next to Pac-man, but he's not. That's probably the default screen for it, and it includes Game and Watch when you unlock all the characters (it would make more sense to display him after unlocking just him, but whatever).

D

Deleted member

it seems that Shulk has a gimik with the Monado, you can see the symbols appear on him making his feet glow... wierd, i havent got far in Xenoblade Chronicles but I have never seen something like that happen. prehaps it is a speed boost, maybe there are others
his Monado has 2 modes, one turns his hand red or blue, and the other turns his feet which ever color the hands aren't. I haven't played xenoblade, so i have no idea if this happens in that game

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
Ok you CAN complain about WFT since she definitely wasnt tacked on at the end... but just know what someone somewhere wanted her in... Emphasis on someONE.
That being said, I don't think Wii Fit Trainer getting in is that bad, but she's definitely not someone I'd consider to be smash material.

My only problem with the leak is the fact that there's so many brawl stages when the direct said the 3DS version would feature melee stages. Did Sakurai decide to switch which game featured what?

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm actually very excited for Koopalings in that clown car. I don't care for Bowser Jr. at all, but Lemmy is my man after Mario Kart 8 made me love him, so I'll be very happy to play as him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom