• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

On the topic of Monolith Soft, this is something I've been trying to research for awhile, and can't find a definitive answer. Does Nintendo own the rights to the Baten Kaitos IP? I think a Kalas trophy (and continuation of the series) would be great.
I don't think so, it was published by namco

Bobomberman

Smash Cadet
Actually, a different leaker (Izat True) provided that image, not the lying one from 4chan. (who, consequently, tried acting like he was the main source when in reality he was just getting the pictures from presumably Izat, among a few others) Regardless, they're from the same source material.

Aside from that, many reliable sources have stated it's 100% not the final roster.
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c..._complete_still_more_characters_we_do/cjwgmos

I know someone else on Smashboards who was involved with the Ninka leak also mentioned it not being final, but I can't find the Reddit post, sorry. Just take my word for it.
Ah I had no idea it was from someone else! That significantly reinforces my hopes, thank you sir!

R0Y

Smash Master
I don't think so, it was published by namco
Bamco, is developing the games and Sakurai works in their building every day. Considering Bamco sold a lot of shares of Monolith to Nintendo and the general situation, it's very possible imo, and wouldn't be potentially objectionable/send to ESRB-worthy.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I do feel the need to say one very subjective (and very selfish) thing before I head off for the night:

I don't get why Duck Hunt Dog would make the cut as a character, Midna would be left as an Assist Trophy and none of the Zelda characters from Brawl's roster would receive any significant, noticeable changes. This isn't to say "DHD shouldn't be in!" I'm simply surprised that Zelda, one of the marquee franchises of Nintendo with multiple new releases between Brawl and now, would remain more or less unchanged while a dog whose only purpose was to laugh at you when you messed up would be given a complete moveset, set of animations and roster spot.

I can't be the only one who thinks Duck Hunt would've made for a perfect assist trophy and Midna would've made for the perfect Zelda newcomer.

D

Deleted member

Bamco, is developing the games and Sakurai works in their building every day. Considering Bamco sold a lot of shares of Monolith to Nintendo and the general situation, it's very possible imo, and wouldn't be potentially objectionable/send to ESRB-worthy.
That's true, but does the IP belong to monoloth or namco?

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
i wont go any further than to ask why that post got a warning?
...because it's spam. Like yours.

I do feel the need to say one very subjective (and very selfish) thing before I head off for the night:

I don't get why Duck Hunt Dog would make the cut as a character, Midna would be left as an Assist Trophy and none of the Zelda characters from Brawl's roster would receive any significant, noticeable changes. This isn't to say "DHD shouldn't be in!" I'm simply surprised that Zelda, one of the marquee franchises of Nintendo with multiple new releases between Brawl and now, would remain more or less unchanged while a dog whose only purpose was to laugh at you when you messed up would be given a complete moveset, set of animations and roster spot.

I can't be the only one who thinks Duck Hunt would've made for a perfect assist trophy and Midna would've made for the perfect Zelda newcomer.
Eh, joke character like WFT, except to an even higher degree.

Roy is where it's at. That redesign is sick.
Roy is cool too. I prefer Ludwig and his fanciness tho.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
What do we think are the chances for an expanded roster screen? Now that everyone has their own screen on their own 3DS's, maybe they'll add extra slots on either side of the screen that you have to scroll over to see, maybe with the L and R buttons. And they only show up after you unlock all the characters/download the DLC.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
It's difficult to really say until we actually see what Duck Hunt is capable of. I'll agree that no surprise in terms of Zelda reps is kind of strange. No Ganondorf move overhaul (doubting we'll ever get it now), minor tweaks to Link and Toon Link, and only a few moves to help round out Zelda and Sheik as their own characters now. I would've liked to see Midna as well.

That having been said, if Sakurai has proven anything it's that he's good at making oddball characters. One of the first things I said when Wii Fit Trainer was revealed was "how is he going to top this". Well, I think it's fairly safe to say this is his attempt at that. Really too early to claim this character is less deserving of a spot considering we know almost nothing about it other than the fact it's in the roster.

R0Y

Smash Master
That's true, but does the IP belong to monoloth or namco?
Baton Kaitos Origins, published by Nintendo, still says Namco in the fine print IIRC, wish I owned that game btw.

So I'd have to guess Namco to this day.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

Seeing how Duck Hunt Dog is a retro character, and apparently Sakurai loves retro game (probably why we have Ice Climbers, G&W, etc.), that's probably why Duck Hunt Dog is in. He actually looks pretty cool IMO.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
In before everyone buys the games anyways and complains that Dark Pit, Duck Hunt Dog, and Doctor Mario best not be cut in the SSB6 decision making process.

D

Deleted member

Baton Kaitos Origins, published by Nintendo, still says Namco in the fine print IIRC, wish I owned that game btw.

So I'd have to guess Namco to this day.
actually, if the secind one is published by Nintendo, then I would say the rights got sold to Nintendo with Monolith

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
What do we think are the chances for an expanded roster screen? Now that everyone has their own screen on their own 3DS's, maybe they'll add extra slots on either side of the screen that you have to scroll over to see, maybe with the L and R buttons. And they only show up after you unlock all the characters/download the DLC.
It's certainly a possibility. Other fighters have done it before. Other games, even.

I actually remember on the BSN boards when people were arguing over the amount of potential races being represented in Mass Effect 3's multiplayer based on the demo's character select screen... then how all of those theories were proven wrong the moment they added DLC that added characters when you scrolled to the right. We eventually ended up with over sixty or seventy race/class combinations, as opposed to the original eighteen.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
May be sacrilege to say but i actually prefer duck hunt dog over midna.... i just like oddball characters.
I do too, though I would have liked to see her. The thought of doing chain-throws with that hair. Would've been fantastic.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
May be sacrilege to say but i actually prefer duck hunt dog over midna.... i just like oddball characters.
Not sacrilege at all. Simply an opinion. We all have our rights to one. :)

Clearly, Mr. Sakurai agreed with you.

Ascended

Smash Ace
You go to sleep for one night and the whole Internet goes nuts. Anyway, I was willing to believe this leak due to the photographs, but after the videos I'm totally on board with the leak. Here's my (brief) thoughts on the characters:

Bowser Jr.: Great idea. I think that Mario should have a lot of characters anyway due to being a massive franchise in the gaming world, and I think the concept of the Koopalings being alts is a great way to please classic fans. The Clown Car looks to be a lot of fun from the video and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it in action.

Dr. Mario: I actually like Dr. Mario due to being a fan of the DM games and for the fact that my brother made DM a huge in joke among my family and friends. He'd always kill people with lines like "We don't accept your insurance" and "You forgot to take your medicine." I also think it would be cool to have him back as he would have Mario's old DownB and he would have a different final smash.

Shulk: GREAT CHOICE! With Xenoblade being the huge hit that it is and a sequel on the way, it just made sense for Shulk to be in this. I'm a little surprised that he fights without the Monado at times, but I think he'd be a lot of fun to play as.

Duck Hunt: Now this is a WTF character. Duck Hunt was one of my favorite games as a kid, so I'll totally be playing as these guys. I'm excited to see what their moveset and final smash are.

Dark Pit: This is the only one I'm iffy on. I thought Uprising was great and I would love to see more of the Kid Icarus series in the future, but I think a clone of Pit is pushing it. If he has different moves then I'm for it. I could see Kid Icarus being the Star Fox of this game if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

The Cuts: I'm sad to see Wolf and Snake go, as I'm a huge fan of both series and felt they were great characters. I'm also disappointed that Lucas is gone as I felt that Mother deserved having two characters and I was looking forward to how his moveset would be changed from Ness. Ice Climbers I'm indifferent to. I'll miss them, but I'll get along without them. Ivysaur and Squirtle I'm also indifferent to as I played as the Pokémon Trainer, but having Charizard on his own and Greninja makes up for that in my opinion.

The remaining 3-5: Dixie I supported from the beginning and I would actually prefer her over K. Rool, as I've always liked heroes before villains. I just thought that she wouldn't have a chance due to being seen as too similar to Diddy, but since she was planned for Brawl, I could see Sakurai going back to her and making her work here. Ridley I've wanted since Brawl and I think him being revealed as a boss would be a huge rip-off after all the teasing. Mewtwo I've also wanted back since Brawl showed that he was cut and I totally expect him. Impa I'm indifferent to, although I do think she would be a good choice what with her increase in roles in the Zelda series. I actually wanted Sheik to get cut and have impa replaced her. Mach Rider I think would be an awesome choice just for that retro representation and no one would see it coming (Although I think he was planned to be the original Captain Falcon Clone back in Melee, so maybe some hardcore fans would expect it.) Chorus Men I'm also indifferent to. I actually bought Rhythm Heaven Fever because of the Gematsu leak, and I thought it was an awesome game, but I would rather have a stage or someone else from that franchise.

Anyway, this leak is really exciting and I'm definitely getting more hyped to play the games! I'm looking forward to seeing what gets officially revealed and also what gets leaked in coming weeks.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Yeah, he could have a medicine FLUDD! :laugh:
Cough Syrup F.L.U.D.D. confirmed. :p

But, I'm happy with these leaks. Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt Dog, and Shulk excite me to no end, and I'm even warming up to Dark Pit. Dr. Mario still kinda bugs me but meh. Not a huge deal. Now it's time to turn my attention to the remaining fighters... I'm already more than happy with the roster at hand, but if we managed to get Ridley, Impa, and Mewtwo I'd die of happiness..!

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
I prefer duck hunt to midna as well. I think duck hunt dog could have a wonderfully unique moveset. I also was a kid at that time and so he was during my childhood so that might make a difference. But im excited to see how sakurai and his imagination use him.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I have a question regarding the positions of the characters on the CSS that doesn't involve Yoshi.

Something is bugging me. How do the extra characters fit into their own series without cutting another series off?

What I mean is, let's assume Donkey Kong gets Dixie Kong. Presumably Dixie Kong would be to the right of Diddy Kong.

So it pushes the whole row to the right a bit to add room for Dixie. But now Samus and ZSS are in different rows to fit in the screen.

However what if Zelda series got Impa? It would push the row to the right again, and push Samus down to the third row with ZSS.

Now this is where things get weird. Now that Samus and ZSS are on the third row. Meta Knight and Little Mac get pushed to the 4th row. Which cuts Meta Knight off from the rest of Kirby.

If Ridley was in the game, he would be right after ZSS. So it would only push King Dedede to the 4th row. Leaving Kirby alone on the 3rd.

However maybe Little Mac returns to his original spot, and pushes Kirby down? The whole kirby gang would be on the 4th row then. However it pushes the 4th row so much that it messes up Pokemon and the Retro characters grouping together.

This is where my brain hurts to much. I can't rearrange the CSS in a way without throwing everyone everywhere. They would have to jump over other franchises and move around completely.

Can someone explain this to me?

Last edited:

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
I'm confused.

If the leaker didint unlock all the characters yet, how can they say that characters got cut?

Sorry if Its a dumb question but all of these leakers and sources and Links have got me confused.

wildvine47

Smash Ace

Considering Midna appeared in a grand total of about jack squat of any of those Zelda games since Brawl, I'd say she's lucky to have her AT status as is.

Last edited:

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
*snipsnap*
I have two theories
1.When all the characters are unlocked, things go vertical instead of horizontal, a bit like how brawl did it, but brawl was kind of mixed on the CSS
2.The characters will freely move to correct placement once all characters are unlocked, in some fashion

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I'd say that all character order discussion is pointless at this point, considering the leaked CSS we've seen is most likely incomplete or not ordered as it will be in the final game. Or both. :p

Last edited:

sumatchi

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this has been answered yet, but why is lucina in a different row/area than other fire emblem chars. and why is dark pit not next to pit respectively

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I don't know if this has been answered yet, but why is lucina in a different row/area than other fire emblem chars. and why is dark pit not next to pit respectively
Because it is clone corner, where you shun the filthy new clones and put them away.

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
I'm confused as to why people are conversing about the legality of shulk, i mean if he's in the game then nintendo has the rights, if not, then they don't, it's already been dealt with.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
It's likely that they are either:
- In a different position to the one they will be in when the game is released
- Positioned strangely due to the roster being incomplete

Only time will tell. :)

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
It's likely that they are either:
- In a different position to the one they will be in when the game is released
- Positioned strangely due to the roster being incomplete

Only time will tell. :)
I believe that we determined it was the clone corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom