• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Mechanic - Rolling Attacks (Gif and Frames Inside)

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
So I've been watching this video a lot trying to see if there's anything telling about gameplay from it. One thing that catches my interest happened in megaman's trailer. See the gif below.

I noticed that from this roll it looks like Megaman never returns to a neutral position after his roll before he does his attack. I can confirm this by showing the first two frames in between the end of the roll and the attack.

Frame 1

Frame 2

Notice, he never returns to a standing position, meaning that in whatever version of the game this is, he went into his attack on last frame of the roll.

Obviously, that sounds like the buffer system, but there's something else to take into account.

During the uppercut, he's still flashing with what appears to be invincibility frames. That's altogether different from buffering. What I think we might be looking at is a new mechanic where characters (or at least megaman) have roll-dodges that end with an attack.

Thoughts?

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
it could just be something megaman himself can do(like you said) but if that was a universal thing it would be very interesting and add some much needed speed to the series, he does this sort of build up slide thing as well in the GIF very interesting find, though it's to early on to tell I've already heard people bashing it cause it looks to floaty hahaha but we will have to see, yet again good find

Life

Smash Hero
What's more likely is that he has Dolphin Slash-style invincibility on startup.

A little IASA on rolls would probably be nice, though.

Tetraplex

Smash Cadet
I'm all for more response options. Rolling has always seemed separate from the other moves to me. Probably just a Mega thing, though.

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
That move that Megaman does right after the roll dodge is called the Mega Upper. (Its probably his up-tilt) According to Sakurai, this move originates from Megaman's moveset in Marvel vs Capcom. I just heard this information from the Developer Direct for Super Smash Bros.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I don't know if this helps but in the video where Sakurai plays Megaman vs a Mario he does the Uppercut twice in a row which means you don't need to roll before you do the uppercut, thus deconfirming that they are one ability meshed together (a counter). It might still be unique to Megaman being able to do that or maybe Megaman just doesn't go into standing animation yet (code is still not finished). Hope this helps.

littlewolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
littlewolf128
Oooohh. Nice find! Love the technical talk. Has any one else seen an attack out of a roll with anyone else. This is definitely a Mechanic I could get behind.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I don't know about the rest of you guys but when I look at the gif I see a distinct stop before the uppercut. I just think that it's a coincidence that Mega's roll ends in a position that looks similar to the startup of his Mega-upper.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Very interesting find. Probably just invincibility frames upon the startup of the uppercut (buffered). Obviously we can't tell yet though =P

Nevyn

Smash Rookie
I'm not too sure about the rolling, but "Mega Upper" shows all the signs of a move with super armor to me.

AKZuM

Smash Rookie
It looks like he canceled the recovery of his roll with a special attack, this would be a huge change

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Since they're working with a company that makes fighting games, and it's a fighting game move (shoryuken) which commonly has invincibility frames, so I'm guessing that's what we're seeing with the flashing. It does also looked buffered.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
In the Developer Direct Sakurai shows this move, and he does that after the rolling without any specific reason. I think it's basically official, rolling attacks are in the game. Let's hope they're not too OP.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
In the Developer Direct Sakurai shows this move, and he does that after the rolling without any specific reason. I think it's basically official, rolling attacks are in the game. Let's hope they're not too OP.
There is already video showing him doing it without rolling. Don't say anything is basically official until tested. Tripping hasn't been seen in 3 minutes of gameplay yet it still isn't basically official it is out, we are just hopeful.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Look up Smash Bros 4 Megaman vs Mario, it's a full 1:30 minute match between Sakurai and a random person at E3, at one moment Megaman is thrown out of the stage by Mario, he lands and immediately performs the uppercut without going into standing position either, Sakurai also rolls behind the opponent and performs the Uppercut and then does it again right after the first one without rolling again.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I think the most likely possibility is that the animation in the game is more fluid, and that is why he appeared to transition (almost) seamlessly from a roll into an uppercut instead of returning to a standing position.

Kel

Smash Master
His roll ends, he begins his shoryu and he gains invincibility frames on it. The roll seems just like Brawl

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Notice, he never returns to a standing position, meaning that in whatever version of the game this is, he went into his attack on last frame of the roll.
Video is just 30fps, game's is 60fps (right?), so there's a frame in there we cannot see.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
This is unrelated, but I think a cool mechanic would be a reward/punishment system for getting hit from behind. I would assume that getting hit from behind would cause the attack to either do more percent damage or more knockback. Maybe even both.
Anyone got any opinions on this idea?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=vQD1yJinzeQ&start_at=275&end_at=280

Unrelated, but b-reversals are still in. Watch Link.

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=vQD1yJinzeQ&start_at=275&end_at=280

Watch megaman

In the same video earlier you can see Megaman roll and u-tilt against mario. He u-tilts twice back to back; only the one that connects has him flash.

Wait, wait, wait, can that edge NOT be grabbed? If it can then this video surely means easy magnetic edgegrabbing is out. Can anyone try to find a video where that edge of that specific stage is being grabbed?

And actually, look closer, both U-Tilts flash, the second one is just a lot faster and you can't see it quite as much.

Also, he could have just Up-B'ed and then started pressing back, after he did it, he had no momentum to being with so why would it be reversal?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Megaman probably just has invincibility frames if his uppercut connects (just like Luigi in previous games).
If you look you can see that the invincibility ends at the start of the uppercut animation.

Top Bottom