• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Portland Kombat, Portland Oregon's Bi-Weekly

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Wasn't there a movie about a guy who wasn't ******** but pretended to be in order to win the special Olympics? Heh heh heh. Hollywood, how I love thee.

debaser

Smash Lord
You're thinking of an episode of South Park.

Where Cartman does exactly that but gets last place anyway.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
No, there was also a movie and I think it was something to do with Johnny Noxville? That was either the actor name or the name of the movie. Looked dumb, heard it was dumb, never saw it.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I think it was called The Ringer and it was very ********, which is apparently good enough for South Park to rip off. Lol.

debaser

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, The Ringer.

I think it actually came after the South Park episode. Though not like it matters, the fact that the premise exists in two different forms is silly enough as it is.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Wait... who is "debaser"?
I don't think I've seen you post on the OSM thread as of yet.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
binx, your point system sounds awesome. i dont think you should lose points if you lose though, then it gets in to weird calculations and could get messy. just gaining points for wins should be good, and it will be like a running season where you can compare points to the other players in the league.

VenusGospel

Smash Apprentice
binx, your point system sounds awesome. i dont think you should lose points if you lose though, then it gets in to weird calculations and could get messy. just gaining points for wins should be good, and it will be like a running season where you can compare points to the other players in the league.
Nahh, that's like the halo ranking system, play a lot of matches, you'll get a decent rank no matter what, and if people want a lower PR bracket, just sandbag your way to a losing streak and annihilate everyone in that lower skill level bracket... Averages sound much better, because everyone is improving so there's no complaining about people getting more opportunities. I'd say the point system would work if we just tallied the wins/losses and averaged that for all tourny matches... Eh?

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
i think a point system is ideal for seeding in tournaments, but it could get messy if half of the smash scene did not get in on the points. so whatever i dont know. i just know that if you were to sandbag to get a better bracket in the tournament then you would be sacrificing your placement in the pr and that would be a ******** move.

its not like warcraft 3 where you can just lose endless games playing one race to get super easy match ups, then play your best and dominate. there will be competition from any position in the brackets and there are panelists to judge your play as well.

i think if all of oregon could adopt a point system power rankings and tournament seeding would be much more logical and decisions could be made much easier. im not the one to head this sort of thing up, but regardless id love to see it.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Binx: I actually posted and said something about you getting a point system going like what we had going with Eugene Weeklies, there was the most attendance during that time.
I think SWF screwed up and my post didn't go through, but then I see you talking about starting it up and it's like, haha, got it through with my telepathy instead.
The way we did it was give out points to everyone who attended. This way it encouraged attendance. Additionally, the top five winners got bonus points. This encouraged placing well.
So, you'd have people wanting to show up more and do better.

Foos: I haven't seen J-rad in a long time. He's been rather inactive. That, and I heard from JoshisSam that he's not playing Smash competitively anymore. Also, don't capitalize the 't' in my name, or just capitalize the whole thing, otherwise it looks lame. X^)

And me & t1mmy are interested in attending more PKs, so keep us informed, k?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Just to let you N-Oregon Smashers know, I've decided to take my gameplay more seriously. You should all come down for the Eugene Weekly so I can practice pwning everyone and whip you n00bs into shape. For those of you too scared to come down, don't think your johns will keep you safe; I'll go up to Portland and find you myself.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Crew MM hmm what's it going to be Eugene vs Portland? It sounds like it's going to be intense. I'll be on the spectator team, but how are you guys going to go about doing this have each member of the team pay like a dollar or 2 and then the winner of the crew battle gets the pot?

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Foos: I haven't seen J-rad in a long time. He's been rather inactive. That, and I heard from JoshisSam that he's not playing Smash competitively anymore.
????????????????

FoosJr

Smash Ace
You should say that the quote above is not from me because it says Foos:. It just makes me think that I said it, but I didn't say that. K thanks Bye.

Lucius8888

Smash Rookie
Hey VG im better than you, no insult just truth! MM if you don't believe me... Timmy and tommy, Whats up guys, give me a call we should hang out more. In fact VG I think you're being too cocky and I need to put you in you're place. You can't beat my Falco and i think I will win with Falcon! C'mon falcon vs Fox, you have to be a LOT better to beat Fox with Falcon and that's what I will do!

Binx

Smash Master
who would be on portland crew? I assume 5 man teams cause we only have 20 players in oregon so

Portland would be

Juce
Russel
Myself
Venus
Peach Masta

T0MMY

Smash Master
Hey, Lucius! We'll difinitely go up and hang out again soon--DDR, talking about crazy moms, adventures, and chips & salsa @ KFC... oh yeah, and Smash. You have to help out with my motivation again, I started sandbagging Tudios yesterday.

EUGENE VS PORTLAND!!!!
5 players, winning crew gets $1?
Binx: Eugene crew is usually whoever wears a Nintendo hoody + Shin_Ganondorf/Ganondorf_Shin ;^D
t0mmy, t1mmy, tudi0s, sh1n, r0n1n <=see how we all have 1337 names? lol

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Lucius that was quite a funny post and yeah I am down for crew battles. Although I think that Ryan should get a chance to go against VG and if he wins then he gets the spot.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Here's the rules, peeps. Eugene vs. Portland. Each region picks a Team Captain. The captain doesn't have to be the best at the game, but the best at making decisions. Each Team Captain puts up a $1 bill. Winning crew's captain takes the pot.

Rules
Members of the crew do not have to be announced ahead of time, but Team Captains do. Prior to the event, the Captain records the names of each crew member and the character they will be using as well as the "starter". Team Captains are not automatically added to the list as a player, so it is possible to have 5 members + 1 captain in a crew.

First stage is "NUB Pick" - each Captain selects a stage to ban from a list of 9 stages TBD (6 neutral + 3 counterpick stages TBA). This continues until only one stage is left. After the first match, losing side picks a different stage and winning player can opt to change characters. Repeat until one crew is eliminated.

Eugene is going to win.

Top Bottom