• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Yep, exactly. Kind of amazing we have the new character's whole moveset revealed to us pretty much. That's rare. For Porky, this shows there is a chance that he could be a semi-clone, since apparently they aren't done making those.

Also it's starting to make me go nuts that we still don't have "rules" for what an echo is... how are we still learning new stuff about them? Anyways my prediction still stands that a ton of the custom moves from Smash 4 are going to be used for echoes.

Take a look at the ones for Ness and Bowser Jr. if you get a minute.
For Porky I would make use of Bowser Jr. as a base, and for his neutral B give him Ness' Lasting PK Thunder only it's a laser from his Brawl appearance.
Next, I would go Grounding Dash for side B.
Up B seems like it would be pretty fun to use Koopa Meteor.
Lastly, down B could be Big Mechakoopa only with a Pigmask theme.

Obviously this is not the ideal Porky but it's fun to think about.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I noticed that Isabelle also broke the chain of “only important/high in the ballot picks will be new fighters” (other than echoes) so I feel like this kind of helps with Porky’s chances.
Just like Isabelle, Porky is a very popular character in the series he represents and I feel like that following along with the newer following he picked up recently, he’ll maybe just maybe be considered for DLC

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I noticed that Isabelle also broke the chain of “only important/high in the ballot picks will be new fighters” (other than echoes) so I feel like this kind of helps with Porky’s chances.
Just like Isabelle, Porky is a very popular character in the series he represents and I feel like that following along with the newer following he picked up recently, he’ll maybe just maybe be considered for DLC
And Isabelle was both a new character an an announced of a new Animal Crossing.
Porky Minch could come with a localization of mother 3 / Earthbound Trilogy for switch.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
It felt like a good time for Isabelle to come along because we probably needed more cute characters for people like my little sister to pick during parties.

Honestly I'm not sure if they would agree that Porky helps round out the roster in a similar way so to speak.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
thought up a gimmick Porky could have as a fighter for Smash
got this when looking at his boss fight in Brawl

you know how he attacks sideways? he should do that as a fighter as well
without the need to turn, he can immediately attack on the other side
a bit of a no frame thing, which could be good for "juggles"
however, this applies to most of his basic attacks while his specials are in a different case

thoughts? any flaw on this?

Erfly

Smash Cadet
Just want to throw in my support for Porky here. He deserves a spot very much so.

He's a character in a very unique place design wise, with the only other character using a mech being Bowser Jr, but Porkster's mech is far different, being large and spiderlike, with no other character moving in a similar way to his mech. He just looks visually cool, and could be enjoyed by characters unfamiliar with the series just because of that big machine.

He’s a character from the mother series, and introduces the other side of it very well, being cruel, strange and mechanical, far far different from either Lucas or Ness. Also I feel he’s the only viable character they could introduce from the series. Ness and Lucas already deconfirm a bunch with their final smashes, and while I hear a lot of people wanting Ninten, I feel his design is too similar to Ness (assuming they wouldn’t use the non-canon ad designs that is), and Masked Man is restricted to Mother 3, not localised in the west, and I'd argue he's a bit less interesting overall (not to say I dislike him, but for non-fans of mother).

He also just fits smash nicely, villains have been getting more representation lately, and he’d slot in well as the villain from Mother, being able to fill in for both Lucas and Ness. Furthermore he’s been in subspace as a boss, with a pretty faithful design, so there’s certainly interest there.

I just wanna see this guy in smash, shame he didn’t do well in the ballot, but I still feel Sakurai could see potential in the guy. Good luck everyone!

I suppose at this point the main concern is if he can escape being a boss or not.
I think I can see him in the game no matter what, considering bosses seem to be a big thing, with the august direct especially, and in the case he doesn't get upgraded, he might return as his boss from subspace.

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Put it this way, if C. Falcon gets a new rep then I'm pretty sure we'll get Porky. I think it's all about fan service and fleshing out the roster this time and if they're willing to go as far back as K. Rool himself, they're likely to throw a bone to the old timer franchises too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Put it this way, if C. Falcon gets a new rep then I'm pretty sure we'll get Porky. I think it's all about fan service and fleshing out the roster this time and if they're willing to go as far back as K. Rool himself, they're likely to throw a bone to the old timer franchises too.
I agree. If Black Shadow get's in, they have to put in Porky so that the original 12 can finally have all their villains in the roster.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I agree. If Black Shadow get's in, they have to put in Porky so that the original 12 can finally have all their villains in the roster.
Who is Jigglypuff's rival/villain though?

Mario vs. Bowser
Donkey Kong vs. King K. Rool
Link vs. Ganondorf
Samus vs. Ridley
Yoshi vs. Kamek (Deconfirmed)
Kirby vs. Meta Knight
Fox vs. Wolf
Pikachu vs. Meowth (Deconfirmed)
Luigi vs. King Boo
Ness vs. Porky Minch
Captain Falcon vs. Black Shadow
Jigglypuff vs. ???

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Mario vs. Bowser
Link vs. Ganondorf
Samus vs. Ridley
Kirby vs. Meta Knight
Fox vs. Wolf
Luigi vs. King Boo
Ness vs. Porky Minch
Jigglypuff vs. ???
My bad. Mewtwo was kind of advertised as the villain for the Pokemon series back during Melee because of him being in Event 51 with Bowser and Ganondorf and him being the antagonist of the first Pokemon movie. So he can be both Pikachu and Jigglypuff's villain. Luigi same as Mario's, Bowser. Yoshi would really be the only rep from the original to absolutely never get their villain.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My bad. Mewtwo was kind of advertised as the villain for the Pokemon series back during Melee because of him being in Event 51 with Bowser and Ganondorf and him being the antagonist of the first Pokemon movie. So he can be both Pikachu and Jigglypuff's villain. Luigi same as Mario's, Bowser. Yoshi would really be the only rep from the original to absolutely never get their villain.
In that case I'd say Mewtwo is more of a rival since he's more of an anti-hero nowadays then a villain.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Yeah, if we get some reeeaaally classic and obscure villains like Black Shadow, then a Mother villain would be quite possible. I'd be afraid of Claus, who seems more popular and managable to code, making in it instead. The other idea being thrown around, which is Giygas as a Mewtwo echo, could very well be a reality if we're looking at it like "F-Zero and Mother are both dead anyways, they are lucky to be getting anything, so echo Black Shadow and echo Giygas it is."

Honestly, Giygas is iconic to gamers in general and Claus has some special favoritism with his little fandom, but Porky has the most substance and arcing importance. He also has the best potential for uniqueness. When you look at what Porky is in his series and what Porky could bring to the roster, he makes the most sense. I just wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai cheaped out and took an easier route, and Porky would take lots of work to bring to life.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, if we get some reeeaaally classic and obscure villains like Black Shadow, then a Mother villain would be quite possible. I'd be afraid of Claus, who seems more popular and managable to code, making in it instead. The other idea being thrown around, which is Giygas as a Mewtwo echo, could very well be a reality if we're looking at it like "F-Zero and Mother are both dead anyways, they are lucky to be getting anything, so echo Black Shadow and echo Giygas it is."

Honestly, Giygas is iconic to gamers in general and Claus has some special favoritism with his little fandom, but Porky has the most substance and arcing importance. He also has the best potential for uniqueness. When you look at what Porky is in his series and what Porky could bring to the roster, he makes the most sense. I just wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai cheaped out and took an easier route, and Porky would take lots of work to bring to life.
If Ridley can jump from being a boss in Subspace Emissary in Brawl to being a full playable character in Ultimate, than I believe Porky can do it too. But because of him having nowhere the demand that Ridley had, I don't see them throwing in the extra effort to bring him on board.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'd be afraid of Claus, who seems more popular and managable to code, making in it instead.
Claus counts as a villain character? he was a nice kid and every bad action that he made wasn't done because he wanted, he was controlled like a lifeless puppet... which is what he was.
If a good guy is controlled by a bad guy, you don't say that the good guy is a villain.

Mario vs. Bowser
Link vs. Ganondorf
Samus vs. Ridley
Kirby vs. Meta Knight
Fox vs. Wolf
Luigi vs. King Boo
Ness vs. Porky Minch
Jigglypuff vs. ???
I think is more of a "franchise villain" rater than just a single character villain, this is why as a franchise villain, Porky would fit better, since he is both a villain for Ness and for Lucas.
Mewtwo is the villain for Pokemon, Bowser is the villain for Mario and for Yoshi (Yes, adult Bowser was the villain and final boss for both Yoshi's island DS and Yoshi's new island), etc...

Zeox

Smash Champion
And if F-Zero gets a new rep and Mother doesn't... well... we must do our best to make sure Porky's popularity grows big enough! Nintendo has prove that if a character becomes very popular they will make the impossible possible!

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
You make a good argument about Claus but at this point Brawl has a stage, a boss, and an epic theme that essentially "taught" mainline Smash fans who Porky is.

Claus on the other hand, I bet you could still bring him up and people would say "Who?"

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
I just found this:
oavkvs.jpg

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=74208.30

Apparently back in 2015 someone was working on a Porky moveset, but I see it rather died quickly, the author never got to do the PSA, only got to do basic animations as he mentions in the thread. I'm trying to contact him to ask either if he's continuing it or if there's any way I can help, it makes me sad to not have noticed this thread back in 2015. Thought I'd mention it now that I found it.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
i think i brought this one up before (dunno)
i hope he's still around, despite being busy

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Wow, as a mock-up that pic is inspiring. His human body is a bit smaller than Ness, yes, but scaled a bit bigger wouldn't even be half as egregious as the crunching down they did to make Ridley fit.

Erfly

Smash Cadet
That's looking pretty cool, shame it didn't get too far but I wonder if someone else could always take the project over and see it through to completion.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Sadly my only hacking knowledge allows me to do CSS, BP stuff and recolors (also some custom textures, kinda). I have yet to be replied by the owner, since the other guy he was working with isn't active in Brawl Vault since June. As much as I could do with nothing is get one of my friends to recreate the model, sadly I don't have friends with any PSA skill. Wish I could continue the mod in any way.
Wow, as a mock-up that pic is inspiring. His human body is a bit smaller than Ness, yes, but scaled a bit bigger wouldn't even be half as egregious as the crunching down they did to make Ridley fit.
Maybe my friend could do that, I also thought about that. Hope the author replies to me sending the files, as I mentioned he apparently has done idle, damage, walking and jumping animation. In the thread he mentions that the walking animation could ruin the PSA, since when turning it mirrors the animation, so Porky wouldn't be seen at all. I believe Porky can still be bigger without making the mech any bigger, in many of my Mother 3 concepts I draw Porky relying his head on top of the mech, that tube kind and light things the mech has right above the bed.

EDIT: The author replied to me and he apparently left Brawl hacking right in the same year in which he started the Porky Project. He says he may return to practice his animation skills since he's studying stuff 'bout that, and he lost touch with SemiPsycho, the man who did modeling stuff for him.

Btw also have this edited Porky screenshot
BiggerPorky.png

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Continuing my series of favored prospects... I've sprited Porky! I hope he looks alright.

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
2023F56F-D510-4BEF-BC43-993D8E5799F7.jpeg

I’m thinking of printing this as a sign to bring to London Comicon.
I’m not the best at graphic design but I did my best

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
The creator of the original PSA replied to me and I got the files. He did a surprising amount of 20+ unique animations for Porky! I decided to try out Legacy's CSP and I got to do a render for Porky:
PorkyMinch_XP_Styled_CSP.png
PorkyMinch_XP_Styled_BP.png PorkyMinch_XP_Styled_STC.png
I'll do some recolors for Porky even though I don't have anyone to help me yet. If anyone wants to help with this "project" if it's recolors or even voice acting for a possible Porky SFX, that'd be perfect! I don't promise anything tho, if I decide to not finish the project I'll post the files or if a major developer leaves: once again, I don't have someone to work with yet, but I'm looking forward to do this! Maybe I'm just too excited idk.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap I don't even know what to say! That's amazing, those kinds of things never get replies for me.

First of all, /please/ post some more pics of whatever you're comfortable sharing.

Second, this is interesting enough where I think a post on the Smash subreddit could get some mainstream eyeballs onto Porky. I can do that part if you prefer.

Finally, amazing job! I don't know what I can offer but please continue. We all want to see where this goes.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Both the creator and his partner, SemiPsycho were contacted successfully and both of them say that in their spare time they could continue working on the PSA. Apparently SemiPsycho had done some progress before he left Brawl hacking so there's still a bit of work done, and he actually loads in-game, but he didn't quite give me the files yet, I'll try to do the recolors and renders first and then I'll probably ask him for the files. Curious enough they both say I'm not the first one to contact them about the Porky PSA, looks like Porky is getting some attention! Last thing I want to say is that I'm trying to contact the creator of the Ninten PSA to see if he has any interest on doing Porky so he can help us. For now it seems like the most that can be done is do recolors and renders, which is my job, and wait for SemiPsycho and PigMaskColonel to have interest on the project again. I'll try to post updates, even if they're minor things if y'all want to.

Also here's the first recolor based on Mother 3's overworld Porky sprite (just because I did the mech's arms black):
PorkyMinch1_XP_Styled_CSP.png
!
Second, this is interesting enough where I think a post on the Smash subreddit could get some mainstream eyeballs onto Porky. I can do that part if you prefer..
Feel free to! I'm not very familiar with reddit, I remember creating an account for a single post on a leak, but never touched it again. It'd surely be nice to spread the word!

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Now usually when it comes to Earthbound characters, I usually don't think of them much. But recently with the whole Heroes with the Villains motive, I have grown a slight interest in Porky, considering Giegue is mostly seen as a Mewtwo look alike, Giygas being a dark matter and Masked Man already being as Lucas' alt, there are no other options to choose from aside from Porky.

So if anything I do think he has a high chance this time around, assuming they're going for the whole heroes vs villain motive of course.
But to cut things short. I support this thread, if you want you can write my name on the list, I'd be happy to support another Earthbound character honestly.

Unless it's Ninten of course, since I do like Earthbound Beginnings the most.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Found a 3D model for Porky in Source Filmmaker and tried to give him a pose:

poster.png
poster1.png
poster2.png
poster4.png
poster5.png

That's all the different skins the model had and I could use.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Found a 3D model for Porky in Source Filmmaker and tried to give him a pose:

View attachment 165848View attachment 165849View attachment 165850View attachment 165851View attachment 165852

That's all the different skins the model had and I could use.
I have to say that the default Porky with the Gyigas-influenced Porky skin actually looks very cool! I like how it's similar to the poses both Ness and Lucas have.

About the Porky Minch PSA:
-I've started an imgur album where I'll post every recolor I finish, here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/bV45tBe
-SemiPsycho plans to make a new thread and release the files along with it TODAY(But of course it's gonna still be very WIP). Whenever I'm available and the thread is out I'll try to link it here. He's also making a video on it apparently.

Zeox

Smash Champion
About the Porky Minch PSA:
-I've started an imgur album where I'll post every recolor I finish, here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/bV45tBe
-SemiPsycho plans to make a new thread and release the files along with it TODAY(But of course it's gonna still be very WIP). Whenever I'm available and the thread is out I'll try to link it here. He's also making a video on it apparently.
This is looking pretty good! can't wait to check it out when is done (and the video he's making too)

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Yoyoyo my dudes. Remember how we were talking about if an F-Zero rep got in it would bump up Porky's chances?

Well take a heaping spoonful of salt because the French have a new leak for us via the sub.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see Pokey in Smash! Any and all Mother representation would be extremely welcome, but he's probably my number one EB pick due to his large roles in EB and M3.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Somehow, I haven't posted in here before. Porky is one of my most wanted characters for sure. I voted for him on the ballot a few years ago; I was a pretty weird kid back then at 13 so idk if I would agree with all the votes I tried putting in back then nowadays, but Porky is definitely one of the ones I'd still rally behind. Smash could always use more villains, and I think Porky has a lot to bring to the table. He's one of the best choices we have at this point imo.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Yoyoyo my dudes. Remember how we were talking about if an F-Zero rep got in it would bump up Porky's chances?

Well take a heaping spoonful of salt because the French have a new leak for us via the sub.
I found that yesterday too! Weird enough he said in the 4chan post that Ninten would be in, and he didn't mention ANYTHING about Porky... I don't know if we could expect two new Earthbound reps, but we need Porky to be represented either as a boss or playable fighter, I don't want Sakurai to leave Porky as a crude trophy again...
Hopefully the leak was confirmed fake via 4chan, but I still believe we're getting a F-Zero rep, as well as an Earthbound rep. Remember the Mr. Saturn theory from the Ultimate mural I did? I still think that's a hint.

Last edited:
Top Bottom