• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the double post, but I also wanted to share this incredible art piece again.
It always makes me smile seeing it make the rounds all these years later.

Here’s a fun fact: I was the person that commissioned for it all those years ago.
I wanted to have someone draw a Smash 4 style newcomer poster for our main man Porky
That's cool you were the one that had it commissoned! It almost always pops up when I search stuff about Porky :o

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the double post, but I also wanted to share this incredible art piece again.
It always makes me smile seeing it make the rounds all these years later.

Here’s a fun fact: I was the person that commissioned for it all those years ago.
I wanted to have someone draw a Smash 4 style newcomer poster for our main man Porky
I wasnt involved in the smash community back then, so what did u commission for? just curious

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I wasnt involved in the smash community back then, so what did u commission for? just curious
Back in the Smash 4 days, I was in love with the newcomer arts for all the new characters (especially Bayonetta’s) and I would have loved for Porky to get one. Since he never did get added into the game, I figured I’d find someone that could make one haha.
I had a few different ideas for what it could be, they ranged from a more simplistic one with Porky sitting in his mech with a white background whilst he eats a burger with Porky bots at his side, to more complex battle scenes like Bayo’s art piece.
Eventually I decided on a mixture between Giygas and New Pork City with Ness and Lucas looking shocked.
The artist came up with a few different concept sketches based on the idea and eventually I chose the one we have today.
She’s a really great artist and I highly recommend you guys to check out her work, she’s really good at replicating the EB style as well as the classic Sonic style.
Her Tumblr is called LoopyLupe but I think she uses Twitter more nowadays, i’m Not sure if she goes by the same name

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So it also came to my attention this year is also the Chinese New Year of the Pig...

It seems like the stars are aligning for Porky more and more.

Zeox

Smash Champion
So it also came to my attention this year is also the Chinese New Year of the Pig...

It seems like the stars are aligning for Porky more and more.
And Mother's 30 anniversary, and Earthbound's 25 anniversary.
Honestly I would be happy with just Mother's 3 localization, but if they do absolutely nothing Mother related this year it would be like a very big missed opportunity for Nintendo.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
With every passing day I feel Porky's chances get higher. There's just too many small things coming together along with the biggest fact that his Spirit isn't in the game (ASC representing him would be a terrible joke if he's not DLC) to leave him out as a likely DLC possibility at this point. And to think that his trailer could also come with an announcement for a Mother 3 localization (or my favorite possibility, all three Mother games in a trilogy pack on the e-shop) makes me even more excited for him. I'm not 100% deadest on "Porky is gonna be DLC!" yet so I don't get disappointed, but still, it just feels like Porky is gonna happen.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
This year is the absolute BEST opportunity for Porky and a Mother 3 localization if it doesn’t happen here and NOW it may never happen.

On a positive note Reggie said he was aware of our demand however he said he wasn’t making any promises, but the fact that he’s aware is enough for me

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I am most assuredly still on your team but it might be time to start talking about one of the biggest possible blocks to localization... the Magypsies.

I mean the modern social climate of the West is probably more than amenable to having implicit drag queens as evidenced by, well, just open your eyes.

But the other thing is there might be some kind of ancient Nintendo self-image complex they still harbor, like the way they bet on internet being an unwanted gaming feature in the Gcube days and
  • still
  • haven't
  • course-corrected
Or how they are still viewed as the console maker for families and they have a chip on their shoulder in many ways. If I'm not being clear enough I'm only trying to point out that N rarely changes. Please don't derive or reply with any sort of political stance that I'm not actually making here.

If we want to use the same logic that has convinced me, Papagenos, and a ton of other people that Porky could happen, the Magypsies don't feature heavily as spirits or in Magicant like they might have. I mean, pink versions of fighters like Wario exist, yes? I know it's inside of Ness's head but it was still a reasonable location we might have expected to see them. Or some reference to them outside of those spindly pink seashells they live in.

One more time, this post is not about stances, it's just about trying to understand why we don't have Mother 3 in the first place and if that has been reversed.

Last edited:

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I am most assuredly still on your team but it might be time to start talking about one of the biggest possible blocks to localization... the Magypsies.

I mean the modern social climate of the West is probably more than amenable to having implicit drag queens as evidenced by, well, just open your eyes.

But the other thing is there might be some kind of ancient Nintendo self-image complex they still harbor, like the way they bet on internet being an unwanted gaming feature in the Gcube days and
  • still
  • haven't
  • course-corrected
Or how they are still viewed as the console maker for families and they have a chip on their shoulder in many ways. If I'm not being clear enough I'm only trying to point out that N rarely changes. Please don't derive or reply with any sort of political stance that I'm not actually making here.

If we want to use the same logic that has convinced me, Papagenos, and a ton of other people that Porky could happen, the Magypsies don't feature heavily as spirits or in Magicant like they might have. I mean, pink versions of fighters like Wario exist, yes? I know it's inside of Ness's head but it was still a reasonable location we might have expected to see them. Or some reference to them outside of those spindly pink seashells they live in.

One more time, this post is not about stances, it's just about trying to understand why we don't have Mother 3 in the first place and if that has been reversed.
The Magypsies don't live in Magicant in Mother 3 though - besides their seashells being very similar to the Magicant Shells in appearance, they're (as far as we know) unrelated. There wouldn't really be a reason for them to show up on the Magicant stage.

As for Nintendo's family friendly image - Earthbound was given a T rating on its Virtual Console rerelease, they could always just do the same for Mother 3.

Personally? I think the reason we never got Mother 3 is the same reason we didn't get Earthbound Beginnings until 2013 - the game simply released at the worst possible time. It came out in Japan on the GBA in 2006, and by the time the official translation would have been finished, it would likely have been late 2007/early 2008, and Nintendo probably just thought it wouldn't have sold well enough to justify the cost of translation due to the DS having already been out for a little while already in 2006.

Since that point, Nintendo hasn't really done any major remasters or mass rereleases of GBA games until very recently with the remaster of Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. (The ambassador program for the 3DS was not technically publicly available, and had a very limited rollout in terms of game selection as well, so it doesn't really count.)

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
P

• still
  • haven't
  • course-corrected

Listen bro it’s not 2006 anymore it’s 2019 we would have...Tumblrs support (I hate that website) and you know parents really don’t care anymore what they buy their kids when their gta, rdr, etc

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Now on the news, there has been a "leak" of datamined SNES games for the Switch online service:

https://twitter.com/KapuccinoHeck/status/1084281635586146304

It is very interesting to note that Earthbound is totally missing from that list, even when other games that were in the SNES Mini are there, like F-Zero, Super Metroid or Kirby Super Star.

Edit: dammit you beat me. Well this can mean a lot of things, but it's a lot of coincidences, this may not mean that Porky is gonna be in Smash and only that they are releasing a Mother trilogy pack, but honestly, I would say that is already a win for Earthbound's fans.

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Thing I like about this whole scoop is that it's verifiable, so we'll know pretty soon once other people can see the Switch files as well. Not sure how to process the no Earthbound as that's immediately what I thought of too. I think it simply means those are games that are good as 'freebies' which explains why really big titles like DKC aren't there... maybe! Especially if we think re-releases are coming this checks out, no?

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
still skeptical about Porky happening but there's something cool i noticed
absolutely-safe-capsule.jpg

Did you know: The ASC spirit's sprite is actually the empty variant?
Absolutely_Safe_Capsule_Spirit.png (empty)
Absolutely_Safe_Capsule_2.png (contained)

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
How are you still skeptical this proves he’s not in it, this was one biggest if not THE biggest arguments against Porky
i'll be very honest then, the Grinch spooked me super hard and the evidence supporting Black Knight's possible inclusion all lead to his Assist Trophy debut sadly.

So i don't wanna go too loose over speculation and specific leaks again unless "universally agreed on" evidence surfaces up. (Chrom's costume gone missing, Ken being a lock regardless what rumor is right, another tester leak like Ninka and Noatesty, the Ballot site saying they're using leftover data for future releases [which still led a lot of false hopes for others regardless], and Matt Walker shooting down poor Dante back in September)

like, i think 5ch rumor has something strong going but not every insider or solo evidence put a good call on Ryu Hayabasa or Doom Marine yet, so its still possible to be another fraud rumor gone smart. (like the one rumor that guessed whom Chrom was echoing from and "the Funky leak")

right now?
I like to think Porky could be another non-Fighter Pass inclusion. The Smash 3DS/WiiU DLC had existing series characters who came without a stage, and new music still came along with the fighter DLC regardless, so having Porky to come in but without the Devil's Machine or Final Dungeon as a selected stage wouldn't be that much of a loss or opposition.
But the fact the Petey Pirhana boss is back as an F.S. got me suspicious. They could easily add Petey as a returning boss at any given time, maybe along with a new version of Boss Endurance since Noatesty claimed we're getting more modes via updates. (and this is aside the fact he was a planned stage boss for Smash WiiU according to recent data dig-ups)
This would kinda enforce the idea that new bosses being added per update, endangering the poor lad.

BUT this still put the possibility of Porky being exempted from that possible fate.

which why i really don't want to go "all in" for Porky yet, I just wanna keep on digging for more evidence and hopefully something pops up in favor of Porky.
i wanna keep the precaution at a moderate rate.

Last edited:

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
This isn't a case of the first image being the more common sprite, either - the occupied sprite is far easier to find than the unoccupied one, and is a far more common depiction. This, combined with the amount of love some other MOTHER spirits in Ultimate got, means that this was highly likely done deliberately.

Zeox

Smash Champion
This may look good for Porky, but remember that, in any second, Nintendo can deconfirm him with a single twitter post or spirit event or a datamining, don't get your hopes too high if you aren't ready to get hurt in the process.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Personally due to me having almost every spirit in the game (god I don't want to buy let's to Pikachu) I have gone through ALL of them, and unlike what some are saying the () next to characters denote what game/series they come from is only partially true, there's also a good number denoting which appearance they use, for example:

We have Pit, and then Pit(Original) denoting his appearance in Kid Icarus, and for sure I know it's not referencing the original game is because there's Medusa and Medusa (Kid Icarus: Uprising). We then have Wario and Wario (Overalls), and also 5-Volt and 5-Volt (Angry). So I can 100% confirm with this knowledge if the Absolutley Safe Capsule was supposed to have Porky inside of it, it would've been Absolutley Safe Capsule (Porky) but it's not, just Absolutley Safe Capsule.

Plus, it probably means even more due to as precious pointed out, it's using the empty variant of the sprite, so it is intentional nonetheless.

Also, to drop my two cents on leaks for DLC:

I do not trust /any/ text leak or anything saying X character will be in, even the most credible leakers like Vergebend was, for everything relating post game content he said wrong and has since stopped leaking Ultimate from my knowledge since it's been all false. Only leaks I say are trustworthy, are data mines and currently the only datamine we don't know is a character code named "brave". Personally I never heard of Dragon Quest or Erdrick before he started being put into leaks and I did so,me research, so someone whose more familiar with DQ can correct me but I don't think you can exactly attribute brave as a key trait to him. So, I actually don't think Erdrick is gonna happen at all but he does have a slight chance but not a good one seeming as he's apparently more of a legal nightmare than Cloud, due to being owned by five+ different companies including Square Enix.

When I specifically think of brave in terms of video game characters I think of Sora from Kingdom Hearts or Saber Artoria from Fate/ and some others whose names are dodging my tongue at the moment but I think you get my point.

Nonetheless I still think Porky will get in sooner or later and hopefully as a playable character, though separate no-stage character DLC could happen more like Piranha Plant... after all though, there is that gift section in the vault no one knows what that's about.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Personally due to me having almost every spirit in the game (god I don't want to buy let's to Pikachu) I have gone through ALL of them, and unlike what some are saying the () next to characters denote what game/series they come from is only partially true, there's also a good number denoting which appearance they use, for example:

We have Pit, and then Pit(Original) denoting his appearance in Kid Icarus, and for sure I know it's not referencing the original game is because there's Medusa and Medusa (Kid Icarus: Uprising). We then have Wario and Wario (Overalls), and also 5-Volt and 5-Volt (Angry). So I can 100% confirm with this knowledge if the Absolutley Safe Capsule was supposed to have Porky inside of it, it would've been Absolutley Safe Capsule (Porky) but it's not, just Absolutley Safe Capsule.

Plus, it probably means even more due to as precious pointed out, it's using the empty variant of the sprite, so it is intentional nonetheless.

Also, to drop my two cents on leaks for DLC:

I do not trust /any/ text leak or anything saying X character will be in, even the most credible leakers like Vergebend was, for everything relating post game content he said wrong and has since stopped leaking Ultimate from my knowledge since it's been all false. Only leaks I say are trustworthy, are data mines and currently the only datamine we don't know is a character code named "brave". Personally I never heard of Dragon Quest or Erdrick before he started being put into leaks and I did so,me research, so someone whose more familiar with DQ can correct me but I don't think you can exactly attribute brave as a key trait to him. So, I actually don't think Erdrick is gonna happen at all but he does have a slight chance but not a good one seeming as he's apparently more of a legal nightmare than Cloud, due to being owned by five+ different companies including Square Enix.

When I specifically think of brave in terms of video game characters I think of Sora from Kingdom Hearts or Saber Artoria from Fate/ and some others whose names are dodging my tongue at the moment but I think you get my point.

Nonetheless I still think Porky will get in sooner or later and hopefully as a playable character, though separate no-stage character DLC could happen more like Piranha Plant... after all though, there is that gift section in the vault no one knows what that's about.
I was never paying attention, I wonder what that gift section is going to be for.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Also one more thing turns out Earthbound isn’t in the SNES online datamine..something’s major is coming

Zeox

Smash Champion
Then Nintendo announces that a new Mother rep is gonna be added, but it ends up being a Pigmask instead of Porky.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Then Nintendo announces that a new Mother rep is gonna be added, but it ends up being a Pigmask instead of Porky.
I honestly wouldn’t be that mad, as long as the moveset is creative and we have all the different ranks as alts

Zeox

Smash Champion
I honestly wouldn’t be that mad, as long as the moveset is creative and we have all the different ranks as alts
I would be, it would be the equivalent of adding Piranha Plant before adding Bowser.
Yeah, Piranha Plant is cool and seems interesting, but you first add a main villain, then you add the minions.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
HOLD IT I REMEMBERED SOMETHING AND PLS CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG BUT DIDNT VERGEBEN SAY THAT WE WERE GOING TO GET MOTHER 3 EVENTUALLY.

Last edited:

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
HOLD IT I REMEMBERED SOMETHING AND PLS CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG BUT DIDNT VERGEBEN SAY THAT WE WERE GOING TO GET MOTHER 3 EVENTUALLY.

I mean he's probably said that at one point, but he got a lot wrong with smash so idk if i would take his word. I do indeed think we are getting Mother 3 however.

EDIT: someone said something earlier in this page, but i only trust datamined leaks. Sometimes Nintendo is pretty unpredictable, so its hard to decipher a real leak to a fake leak.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
He said it in like, 2017, but in that same leak he got a lot of other stuff wrong, here's the whole Nintendo part of that leak:

"There has been pressure towards Game Freak to get Pokemon's 8th Generation out in hopes of a release next year. If you recall Pokemon Stars, that is (or was) real, but all it was was a Sun and Moon port to the Switch, used as an engine test tech demo thing. "
This didn't happen, the only thing that was in Switch was Let's go Pikachu and Eevee, no 8th generation or Sun/Moon port.

"Metroid Prime 4 should have something revealed with some in-game footage early next year from what I've heard. I'm hearing that Direct in January particularly. Bandai Namco is developing the game for Nintendo. I don't know which development studio. "
Wrong again, no news from M4 in the whole 2018, but yes in the fact that Bandai Namco is working on the game.

"There is some kind of new Animal Crossing that they hope to release next year too."
Yes, this happens, but is also not a surprise that it happen, is animal crossing, there is always a new one for each console.

"The Switch's Virtual Console will not be like how it currently is known to be like. There is some kind of a subscription service of sorts in the works. "
I guess he saw the NES games that you receive for paying for online and thought it was a virtual console or something???

"Mother 3 is real. According to my source, it was completely localized and playable. The sad thing that I've heard is that it is being held back for some reason, which all I know has something to do with not knowing which month to release it in. "

Now it would be a good time ;) ;) ;)

"Square Enix is doing The World Ends With You 2 exclusively for the Nintendo Switch. "
This was wrong, but Square Enix actually made a remake of the first one for the Switch.

"Blizzard is preparing a Hearthstone port for the Switch. I'm not sure when this will be announced due to the phrasing, but I heard about this when I went to Blizzcon."
Wrongest of them all, Blizzard itself confirmed that they had no intentions or interest to port Hearthstone for the Switch.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I would be, it would be the equivalent of adding Piranha Plant before adding Bowser.
Yeah, Piranha Plant is cool and seems interesting, but you first add a main villain, then you add the minions.
I just want any new Mother character at this point haha.

But anyways, I just wanted to share a really well made Porky Palutena Guidance made by a user called Wintropy back in an older Porky thread.
He/she did a really great job with it, much better than mine lol. I don’t know if he/she knows about the new Porky thread but here it is:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Pit: Uhh, Lady Palutena? There's some kid in a weird robot thing over here.

Palutena: That would be Porky. He's Ness's arch-nemesis and a consummate troublemaker. Don't let that innocent face fool you, Pit: he lives for chaos and calamity, and he's orchestrated more evil deeds than you can possibly imagine.

Pit: Evil deeds? He's just a kid!

Palutena: Evil comes in many forms, Pit. Porky's been around the block more than just a few times - rumour has it that he's immortal, and that he fancies himself as something of a god. He's subjugated an entire world, and his ego is the stuff of legend. He's even built statues in his own likeness just to honour himself!

Pit: Wow. Sounds a bit like someone I know.

Palutena: You say something, Pit?

Pit: Err, nothing! Nothing at all! So, uh, what's the deal with the machine? It's kinda creepy-lookin'.

Palutena: Oh, that? It's a battle machine built by Porky himself, fully equipped with state-of-the-art weaponry and psychic powers. It's also keeping him alive and healthy, even after thousands of years of being a kid. It's your one-size-fits-all evil genius machine!

Pit: Neat! I could do with a few extra arms like that.

Palutena: I wouldn't get too close to it if I were you. Try keeping your distance and softening it up before delivering the finishing blow!

Pit: Sounds good to me! I think this little brat needs a spanking!

Palutena: Spankety-spankety-spankety-spankety! Just try not to die, okay?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(Amazing stuff Wintropy! :D )

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
I’ve always wanted to read something like this, I wonder what Viridi would think of Porky

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Really? I figured she would admire him since if you think about it they have similar goals...the eradication of humanity...
[EDIT] oh I thought she just controlled the plants

Last edited:

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Really? I figured she would admire him since if you think about it they have similar goals...the eradication of humanity...
Well, Viridi's the god of Nature, and the reason they hate humanity and want it eradicated is because they mess with the natural order (at least in her eyes).

The Ultimate Chimera Project alone would definitely make her hate Porky to no end.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I still remember when in Animal Crossing New Leaf, you could use Amiibos like Ganondorf's to get a new villagers, in the case of Ganondorf, you got Ganon:

I wonder if this will still be a feature in the Animal Crossing game for the Switch, and if it will add new Amiibo villagers, like a crocodile K. Rool, or a Turtle Bowser...
And if Porky ended up being a DLC, a Pig Porky in Animal Crossing would be cool.

pigporky.PNG

Top Bottom