• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
looking at the future, when do you guys think porky will be announced (if he is dlc) next year? I would believe when Mother was originally released which is July, but it could also be any other time..

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Thought I'd drop in and say hi. I prefer Giegue because I like the alien/eldritch abomnination angle but not opposed to seeing Pokey. I love his theme song. Porky? Still unclear about the official name of these characters or is it an incarnation thing like Ganondorf becoming known as Ganon when not in humanoid form.

Anyhow, I do think Porky would be a change of pace since he doesn't use PSI and curious as to how he would work. Would he use a mech for his Final Smash or his statue? I like the idea of the slingshot as Standard Special.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
Thought I'd drop in and say hi. I prefer Giegue because I like the alien/eldritch abomnination angle but not opposed to seeing Pokey. I love his theme song. Porky? Still unclear about the official name of these characters or is it an incarnation thing like Ganondorf becoming known as Ganon when not in humanoid form.

Anyhow, I do think Porky would be a change of pace since he doesn't use PSI and curious as to how he would work. Would he use a mech for his Final Smash or his statue? I like the idea of the slingshot as Standard Special.

"pokey" as hes called in earthbound, was a translation mistake. Porky is his real name.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Porky is pretty much a lock imo.

- No spirit (with the amount of obscure spirits in, and the fact that all the Brawl bosses have spirits, I can assure you it's not by accident).
- Excellent moveset potential (I personally want Masked Man in way more, but there's no denying Porky is both more iconic and has more potential than the Masked Man).
- Would surprise people who don't actively keep up with speculation (casuals).
- Would generate LOTS of hype (and therefore money) if announced.
- Would generate even more hype (and money) if announced with a Mother 3 localization.

Nintendo's gonna do it, you'll be fine. Hope this satiates your Christmas wishes :)

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice

- No spirit (with the amount of obscure spirits in, and the fact that all the Brawl bosses have spirits, I can assure you it's not by accident).
- Excellent moveset potential (I personally want Masked Man in way more, but there's no denying Porky is both more iconic and has more potential than the Masked Man).
- Would generate even more hype (and money) if announced with a Mother 3 localization.

Nintendo's gonna do it, you'll be fine. Hope this satiates your Christmas wishes :)

not to even mention mothers 30th anniversary and year of the pig lmao

Zeox

Smash Champion
Merry Christmas! did you knew that in the map of Fourside with the camera you can look inside a building and see a room?

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
looking at the future, when do you guys think porky will be announced (if he is dlc) next year? I would believe when Mother was originally released which is July, but it could also be any other time..
Yeah I think he will be revealed in the summer too. Or early spring to help advertise a potential Mother game...

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Merry Christmas! did you knew that in the map of Fourside with the camera you can look inside a building and see a room?

Thats his room holy **** thats his room that's it i mean COME ON he's in

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
if porky gets in, and nintendo releases some sort of port of the mother series to the switch, i will never ask for anything again

Mr. Pacman

Smash Cadet
Something that kinda scares me is the event spirits. Fire emblem got a spirit event and new spirits. Mario is next in line as it says that series will also get more spirits. This could happen with the Mother series.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Something that kinda scares me is the event spirits. Fire emblem got a spirit event and new spirits. Mario is next in line as it says that series will also get more spirits. This could happen with the Mother series.
No, they didn't add new spirits for any of those events, what the event does is making the spirits of that franchise appear more frequently.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
No, they didn't add new spirits for any of those events, what the event does is making the spirits of that franchise appear more frequently.

that, and if porky was supposed to be a spirit he 100% wouldve been a spirit when the game was released

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Yep. We might as well have this in the OP now since it seems to be consensus. I'm really looking forward to year of the pig.

Erfly

Smash Cadet
The recent one does, adds three new spirits to the game.

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Tbh isn't the absolutely safe capsule kinda redundant, I mean Porky is already immortal so what's the point it's not like Lucas and co. Could kill him.

Zeox

Smash Champion
The recent one does, adds three new spirits to the game.
The 3 super mario party spirits that we already knew a month ago and they are there to promote Super Mario Party, a switch game, just like the Pokemon Let's go Pikachu and Eevee spirits that will be added.
The only way I see them adding new Mother spirits is if they release something for switch, like a Mother trilogy, but if they wanted to do that, they are gonna need more than spirits to promote a franchise that hasn't been used for so long, something more to generate hype.
Suddenly adding a Porky spirit would be pretty weird.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
Tbh isn't the absolutely safe capsule kinda redundant, I mean Porky is already immortal so what's the point it's not like Lucas and co. Could kill him.

i thought that porky was just immortal to natural causes, like starvation and things along those lines. I could be wrong though.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Just because he can't die doesn't mean that he can't feel pain or hate feeling pain.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Immortality isn't always representative of a total inability to die, but, assuming it is, imagine sustaining a series of injuries great enough to reduce you to your nervous system and major organs, while retaining complete consciousness, for all of eternity, with no means of communication or chance of recovery. Given that death can't save you from your suffering, your immortality is now just hell on earth. I would definitely invest in a shelter capable of outlasting those who wish you that kind of harm if I was Porky.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Kinda sucks we’re gonna have to wait until summer for Porky even then who knows?

Edit listen even if the absolutely safe capsule contains Porky that means his MOTHER 3 form wont be playable that has nothing to do with EARTHBOUND PORKY

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I hope nobody is setting their expectations high or anything like that. It seems like some people here are sure that something Mother related will happen next year. As much as that is possible, there's also just as big of a chance that Nintendo won't do anything at all. It's Mother we're talking about, not Mario.

I have zero expectations right now, only hope.

Last edited:

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
I hope nobody is setting their expectations high or anything like that. It seems like some people here are sure that something Mother related will happen next year. As much as that is possible, there's also just as big of a chance that Nintendo won't do anything at all. It's Mother we're talking about, not Mario.

couldnt have said it better myself. However, the only reason i believe that something Mother related is going to happen is because of Mothers 30th anniversary

Erfly

Smash Cadet

Yee exactly, this is why I keep being a bit negative myself in the thread.
It's fine to hope, just don't expect, 'cos that's how you get burnt.

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
So I been playing through Earthbound for the first time and I am enjoying the game more then I thought I would. Already knew abit of the lore and didnt expect Porky to be in as much as he is, alot more then I thought.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I'd actually like to bring my opinions on why Porky would get in over Ninten here.

In my honest opinion, even though I like Ninten, he would just be a culmination of existing fighters.

So anyone who knows Ninten I'm sure realizes that he's more so a defensive PK user, as opposed to Ness's offensive style. However, that'd be ignorant of the fact that Ninten would probably be given these moves anyway just for being similar in stature. To show you what I mean, Lucas never learned PK Fire, PK Thunder, PK Starstorm, PK Freeze, or PSI Magnet in Mother 3. In other words, he doesn't learn ANY of his specials in Mother 3, and yet he was given them, anyway. Lucas's moveset could've been entirely different from Ness's, but instead, they gave him moves he doesn't even learn just because of their similar appearance. The only thing I could see being different about Ninten would be his forward smash being a boomerang, which would still mimic two other existing characters.

Smash doesn't give all too much respect towards a character's potential moveset if they can get away with making them similar. Ganondorf fights very similarly to Captain Falcon, much of Luigi's moveset doesn't have anything to do with him, Sheik's moveset is entirely fabricated and takes little inspiration from OoT, etc. I'm fairly certain Ninten would be a semi clone or echo of Ness at best.

Ninten would also have the same forward smash as Ness, considering their shared affinity for baseball.

Ninten's up smash, however, I assume would be different, since yo-yos aren't in the original Mother.

Alternatively, Porky just shows much more promise. More people recognize Porky because he was a boss in Brawl, which even if this is an assumption, I think it's clear Brawl sold more the Beginnings. Plus, Porky has a much larger following than Ninten, and the surprise element of him being announced would therefore appeal to a much less niche audience.

I don't know why you consistently disregarded my claim that relevance was not my only point, but I'll put it here for the third time to ensure there's no confusion:

PORKY IS MORE APPEALING TO CASUALS, HAS MORE FANSERVICE, IS MORE RELEVANT TO MODERN GAMING, HAS MORE MOVESET POTENTIAL, IS MORE PROMINENT TO HIS SERIES, IS A MUCH BIGGER ICON OF MOTHER THAN NINTEN, AND HAILS FROM MUCH MORE WELL RECEIVED GAMES THAN NINTEN.

There you go, you two. Now you can't say my only points were relevance.

Even further, Porky has no spirit. I know everyone here loves arguing that it's the ASC since Porky was locked there for all of eternity, but that would be overlooking Porky not having a spirit to represent Brawl. All the Brawl bosses have spirits, and I don't recall fighting the ASC in that game. They could very well be waiting to just add Porky as a spirit, but we don't know for sure. Because of that uncertainty, we can definitely say that him being added as a character is still on the table. Using an example from the same series to further disprove your claim about the ASC being Porky's spirit, take someone from the very same series, Claus.

Claus is the Masked Man, and yet, they both have spirits. At the end of Mother 3, Claus dies as Claus, not as the Masked Man. Using your argument that Porky is represented in his final form (the ASC) is entirely invalid because of the Masked Man spirit.

You could argue that next year is the anniversary of Mother 1, which would in turn boost Ninten's chances over Porky, but it's the anniversary of the franchise in its entirety, as well. It's not only a time to reflect on the first game, but rather, all the games in between. Like a real life anniversary; it's not just celebrating the very day you got married, it's a commemoration of all those moments in between.

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
God I am getting tired of people keep trying to point out to me that the Capsule is Porky,
because he is canonnily in it
Then why not give us a EB Porky spirit? He was a boss in smash, so he has history, why throw him in the capsule as some sort of joke, it makes no sense to me!

Last edited:

Mr. Pacman

Smash Cadet
Another way to debunks that asc is that Sakurai wouldn't expect the West to get that joke. He would call it "Absolutely Safe Capsule (Porky)" if it was supposed to be a joke. If anything I think it boosts his chances a bit more because it's a soul element to him and they chose to include that over the character who used it in the game.

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
Another way to debunks that asc is that Sakurai wouldn't expect the West to get that joke. He would call it "Absolutely Safe Capsule (Porky)" if it was supposed to be a joke. If anything I think it boosts his chances a bit more because it's a soul element to him and they chose to include that over the character who used it in the game.
Also there is other versions of spirits in the game, so why leave that one out, when it has history with smash.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
The only thing i can't imagine is Porky clapping after being beaten its sooo noncanon. Another thing Sakurai has stated before that he doesn't care for Mother 1 (look it up yourself) besides you guys do know that earthbound is kinda off retcon of Mother 1. Listen Porky is Cartman of the Mother series he's imo more popular than Giygas

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
The only thing i can't imagine is Porky clapping after being beaten its sooo noncanon. Another thing Sakurai has stated before that he doesn't care for Mother 1 (look it up yourself) besides you guys do know that earthbound is kinda off retcon of Mother 1. Listen Porky is Cartman of the Mother series he's imo more popular than Giygas
Well I couldnt have imagined Ridley do that and also, doesnt the Ice Climbers like cry or something? Maybe he would just look annoyed.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759

Its confidence like this that leads to the meltdowns we saw on November 1st. Nothing is ever a “lock” with Sakurai. To treat it as if it is 100% confirmed, when it really isn’t, is a great way to get hurt. Not saying there is anything wrong with hoping, but as long as Sakurai is running this show, never be so confident.

Last edited:

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
I may have said this in the past, but did anyone else notice that there's no spirits related to Porky either? These are the Earthbound spirits:
Ness, Lucas, Lloyd, Teddy, Flying Man, Starman, EVE, Paula, Jeff, Poo, Ness's Father, Buzz Buzz, Mr. Saturn, Master Belch, Dungeon Man, Ramblin' Evil Mushroom, Claus, Boney, Duster, Ultimate Chimera, Absolutely Safe Capsule, Masked Man, Ninten, Ana, Flint, Kumatora, Salsa, Hinawa.

You could argue about Masked Man or Mr. Saturn, but Masked Man is more related to Lucas than Porky, after all Masked Man remembered Lucas, and Mr. Saturns are only linked to Porky due to him tricking them. This could mean that if we get Porky, we could see a bunch of new spirits added, heck, even Giygas isn't in as a spirit, and still talking about the ASC for anyone who still believes it's Porky, why didn't they add EB Porky at least, either normal Porky or Heavily Armed Porky, maybe even business suit Porky? Many versions of Porky could have been added, as well as some baddies more such as Giygas, obviously, and maybe even Mr. Carpainter as well as some Pigmasks, Mecha Porkies, Monotoli's President, etc...

I surely am getting my hopes up way too much, but all of this seemed extremely suspicious since the start.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
The only thing i can't imagine is Porky clapping after being beaten its sooo noncanon.
Maybe he could rest his head on his hand and look bored.
Or I saw an idea a while back (I think it was one you guys in this thread) where Porky could be in the capsule and it would wobble from side to side while Porky pokes his tongue out.
It’s non canon as heck but I like to imagine Porky never admitting that someone else truly beat him

Edit: HOLY MOLY THIS IS POST 1000! I’m blessed! I’ll use my blessed luck to will Nintendo into giving us porky

Last edited:
Top Bottom