• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Zeox

Smash Champion
Hey do you hear that? It's the sound of bi-weekly, creeping existential dread from the new patch coming out given that we know spirits can be added post-release.
All spirits that has been added are for promotional switch games, what can they promote from the Mother franchise?

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Hey do you hear that? It's the sound of bi-weekly, creeping existential dread from the new patch coming out given that we know spirits can be added post-release.
Given that the Fighter Pass selection was finalized before launch, there's nothing that can be patched in that will affect Porky's chances. In fact, if he didn't make the cut for the DLC pass, I'd rather get a Porky spirit now, so that his absence can be corrected and we can enjoy the additional EB representation sooner.

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
I just beat world of light on Hard mode still didn’t find the chubster. How many patches are coming Btw cause if he’s not gonna be DLC I’d really rather get it over with. But despite all that imo I know he’s in

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I just beat world of light on Hard mode still didn’t find the chubster. How many patches are coming Btw cause if he’s not gonna be DLC I’d really rather get it over with. But despite all that imo I know he’s in
It does look very good doesn't it. There is precedent as well. Remember when Chrom and Dark Samus were figured out to be in the game before August because their alt colors were missing? Other side of that same coin, remember when Dixie was deconfirmed before we saw her spirit because Diddy has his blonde hair pink shirt skin? Sylux being gone from the spirit board confirms a second, definitely happening game with a missing char as well. There is a ton of love to the Mother series in this game already that is not in the form of Mii costumes and we kind of already know that in K. Rool's case this can sometimes be thought of a wink toward the fanbase on what's to come.

Last edited:

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
There was an interview with Sakurai, and he said that he hired a "spirit team" and they went and researched a bunch of series to find all the spirits. So it's strange that when these spirit team people were getting earthbound spirits, they didn't include Porky. Who is almost definitely more important than buzz buzz. Porky has much more info than buzz buzz on the internet soooo

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
I’m just lurking online searching for something ANYTHING that involves porky being in just praying for a leak damn, the optimist in me is saying “Wow Sakurai must really not want him to be leaked at all”

Also guys how do you think his play style would be in I imagine him as a very unusual heavyweight requiring more finesse then brute force not to say he won’t have traits of that as well

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Friendly reminder that King K. Rool, mine and many others' most hype newcomer, had a squeaky clean release. Nobody knew. So yeah, they can do a good job of that.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I was thinking, if Porky made it in, what would his boxing ring title be?
I think “Time Travelling Tyrant” sounds cool

Also guys how do you think his play style would be in I imagine him as a very unusual heavyweight requiring more finesse then brute force not to say he won’t have traits of that as well
Personally I think he would be similar to Bowser Jr but would be a bit more aggro based based instead of relying entirely on dumping out projectiles

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I was thinking, if Porky made it in, what would his boxing ring title be?
I think “Time Travelling Tyrant” sounds cool

Personally I think he would be similar to Bowser Jr but would be a bit more aggro based based instead of relying entirely on dumping out projectiles

oh man, i never realized how much i love that name "Time Traveling Tyrant". I feel like it would be something along the pig king or something though

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Nope! I don't think we'll have to hunt for those, since new spirits seem to be shown in the patch notes and even a new pop-up window on boot.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn’t the absolutely safe capsule represent Dr.Andonuts because I heard you fight Dr.Mario in that battle

[EDIT] No I’m just saying the absolutely safe capsule was Andonuts invention it would make sense if it was too represent him in a way

Last edited:

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn’t the absolutely safe capsule represent Dr.Andonuts because I heard you fight Dr.Mario in that battle

[EDIT] No I’m just saying the absolutely safe capsule was Andonuts invention it would make sense if it was too represent him in a way

ive also heard that the theme isnt porky's theme

Erfly

Smash Cadet
They really like using snake as dads, the Flint spirit is just snake and Lucas, whilst Ness's dad I believe was ness and invisible snake.

EDIT:
I'm also hearing that the ASC might be summon only. Might be the case with how nobody has found it on spirit board yet.

Last edited:

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
They really like using snake as dads, the Flint spirit is just snake and Lucas, whilst Ness's dad I believe was ness and invisible snake.

EDIT:
I'm also hearing that the ASC might be summon only. Might be the case with how nobody has found it on spirit board yet.

that would make sense as to why we haven't seen it

Zeox

Smash Champion
Something very curious, when you beat adventure mode
The challenge for beating adventure mode is Masked Man's spirit

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That plus two of the final spirits you fight in that mode,
Claus and Hinawa,
are obviously Mother 3 references, but it makes it even more suspicious that Porky is nowhere in the game at all.

Erfly

Smash Cadet
I think at this point I'd just like some sort of hint about Porky, why he's not in.
Like, in all honesty, I never had a huge amount of faith that he could be in as a character, Mother 3 is just I think the most important game to me, maybe not my favourite (that goes to Sunshine), but it holds the place of importance first in my heart.

For there to be this chance of Porky being in is such a weird feeling, I thought he'd at least be a boss, or a spirit, but nothing so far is just leaving me worried and confused. I'd LOVE for him to be a fighter so badly, he's been my top wanted "never ever" character, but I can't hope for him to be confirmed by this spirit nonsense because I'm afraid of just being burned again like I was with the grinch leak.

Here's to hoping he'll get in, smash needs our king, with all the music he could bring to the series from Mother 3 and Earthbound, and heck, give Gigue his rightful representation too, whether we get a Mother 1 stage with him, or some sort of Giygas stage / final smash, or even a bloody spirit.

Good luck porksters.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Listen if Giegue gets in that’s great BUT the whole point of his character is this unbeatable unstoppable psychic being, far beyond our understanding making him playable would diminish that jus saying

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
As much as Giegue/Giygas is great, Porky is so much more recognizable.

EDIT: also it would make more sense to add a character that has had a longer history with the smash series tbh

Last edited:

Erfly

Smash Cadet
I'm less meaning Giegue as a character but more say, an assist trophy or a stage element. More villain representation alongside Porky as a character.
Forgive me for not being too clear on that.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I've been doing some thinking about this recently. There aren't any of the main enemies from the Mother games represented as spirits as far as I can remember, which is pretty curious to me. No Porky, no Giegue/Giygas, no Masked Man. Technically Claus is there, but it's just regular Claus as a kid. Several of these aforementioned characters could easily be represented as spirit battles too (Mewtwo as Giegue and possibly Mega Man with a sword as Masked Man).

So I'm wondering if it's possible that Porky is indeed DLC and his stage somehow also incorporates Giygas and Masked Man into it as background characters or hazards. I'm imagining a Cave of the Past/Devil's Machine stage that transitions into a battle with Masked Man to represent both Porky's role in Earthbound and Mother 3. I just find it very odd that all of the Mother villains are absent.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Listen if Giegue gets in that’s great BUT the whole point of his character is this unbeatable unstoppable psychic being, far beyond our understanding making him playable would diminish that jus saying
As much as Giegue/Giygas is great, Porky is so much more recognizable.

EDIT: also it would make more sense to add a character that has had a longer history with the smash series tbh
Representation =/= playable. I'm sure that Erfly Erfly means Giygas should show up in some NPC form, as evidenced by the references to stages, final smashes and spirits made in their post, and who could be upset with that? I'd love playable DLC, but I'd appreciate a non-playable appearance just as much.

Edit: Too slow!

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I've been doing some thinking about this recently. There aren't any of the main enemies from the Mother games represented as spirits as far as I can remember, which is pretty curious to me. No Porky, no Giegue/Giygas, no Masked Man. Technically Claus is there, but it's just regular Claus as a kid. Several of these aforementioned characters could easily be represented as spirit battles too (Mewtwo as Giegue and possibly Mega Man with a sword as Masked Man).

So I'm wondering if it's possible that Porky is indeed DLC and his stage somehow also incorporates Giygas and Masked Man into it as background characters or hazards. I'm imagining a Cave of the Past/Devil's Machine stage that transitions into a battle with Masked Man to represent both Porky's role in Earthbound and Mother 3. I just find it very odd that all of the Mother villains are absent.
Masked Man is a Spirit, but he doesn't have a Spirit battle to be fair; you have to beat the story mode.

A transition stage based around the areas and events associated with Porky would be very cool :)

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Masked Man is a Spirit, but he doesn't have a Spirit battle to be fair; you have to beat the story mode.

A transition stage based around the areas and events associated with Porky would be very cool :)
Ah, that would explain why I haven't seen Masked Man yet haha; I just started playing WoL today (I've kinda just been doing battles on the spirit board instead). I still find the absence of either of Giygas's forms to be pretty notable though. But maybe I'm just biased :upsidedown:

Anyways, I'm hoping he gets incorporated into Porky's stage should he get in as DLC.

Last edited:

Erfly

Smash Cadet
A cave of the past or devil's machine stage with giygas in the back would be great imo.
A gross and fleshy stage with this whole creepy atmosphere.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
A cave of the past or devil's machine stage with giygas in the back would be great imo.
A gross and fleshy stage with this whole creepy atmosphere.

yeah that would be awesome, and if mother 3 gets localized i could see nintendo putting a place from mother 3 in there

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Something very curious, when you beat adventure mode
The challenge for beating adventure mode is Masked Man's spirit
That plus two of the final spirits you fight in that mode,
Claus and Hinawa,
are obviously Mother 3 references, but it makes it even more suspicious that Porky is nowhere in the game at all.
Holy **** I'm even more convinced he's DLC now.

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Im a little scared has Marx always been a boss?

It had me a little concerned thats all speaking of which who would Porkys final boss Ness or Lucas or maybe you'll fight both at the same time

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Was daydreaming about Porky in Smash today. Add me to the support list, please!

I just picture him in a downscaled version of his mech, with his Mother 3 looks as default and Earthbound's design as an alt like how Ridley and Meta Ridley work. I also think they'd give him a voice, so to fit my idea, two different sets of voices, one for old, which I can imagine being rough like how Mumkhar/Metal Face sounds, and a bratty/snotty kid voice for the young one.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I just picture him in a downscaled version of his mech, with his Mother 3 looks as default and Earthbound's design as an alt like how Ridley and Meta Ridley work.
He's not too big.
There's an earlier post with a size comparison picture using the sprites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom