• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm disappointed of how little I got to use my tablet when it worked

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
iscibble? only to help my cousins with math problems/equations D:
never really did use it to draw

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Wow, that looks super cool Gunmaster!

For this picture I sketched the people on paper before inking it digitally, and my god it makes such a difference for me. (I freehanded the black stick holder things later, you can probably tell.) I tried to imitate Artgerm/Stanley Lau's coloring style for this, he does the airbrush gradient look so beautifully but when I do it it looks like creamy gunk. Overall I'm happy with this though, if only for the lines.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Here is the generic villager type people in my story. It's based in a "Dream World" type of environment so I made them sheep. I thought it made the most sense.

Here is an example of a Nightmare creature. It's not the most accurate picture of the creature because I was drawing it from memory. Memory of a drawing I previous made 5 months before... It's got a bunch of vestigial limbs and not real legs. It craws on it's hands and is also able to hold itself up with it's tail

Another Nightmare creature. Used as sort of a police dog. Not intelligent on it's own, is used to track things down and attack. I don't like ALL of it's design, and it's a slight redesign of the original version. While used as a dog, it's HUGE. More like a large horse in size than a dog but a LOT fatter. It looks too fit in this picture

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
So uhm...

I just tried drawing again for the first time in almost a year...

And I just realized I can't draw worth beans now.

Should I be worried?

:phone:

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
No. If it's now compared to when before happened, then soon will happen again.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
i haven't really sat down and drawn anything either since i finished my ap course in high school, so i might be in the same boat as you.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
So uhm...

I just tried drawing again for the first time in almost a year...

And I just realized I can't draw worth beans now.

Should I be worried?

Drawing is just like any other skill, you will get rusty if you don't keep at it. And it's not just the physical activity that can fall off, it's also the mindset and thinking process that comes with it

I get rusty even after a few weeks of not drawing

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Yeahhhh, Honda is right
You can get back to where you were though
It just takes a lot of work

Papa Mink!!!! Hola! Welcome to the AE

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink

The only things i really draw are girls from the anime i'm watching, which recently would be Yui // Mio from K-on.

The other drawings i'd say are good enough to upload would be my drawing of Winry from FMA and Lala from To-Love-Ru.

I'll show you when i get home :)

The hardest thing i find to do is draw the hair and face proportionately.
Any tips?

Geist

Smash Master
Any tips?
Draw err'day

No but really, I could give you a big whopping critique full of tips and stuff once I see your work if you want. Characters are my personal specialty. C:

welcome to the AE btw

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
I used to draw anime actively. I think I used circular guidelines and then measured by "heads".
As for hair-- depends which stereotypical hairstyle I guess?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
It's true. I usually don't make serious characters without consulting Bren or Aly.

AND OOOOHHH MY GOSHHHHH BREN
ADORABLE SAMUS IS ADORABLE
And gives me a great cosplay idea o u o <3333

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Any tips?
If you ever have trouble with something, doesn't hurt to use reference. Find someone willing to sit still for a while, or just use a mirror and practice faces/hair. Figure out what you're having trouble with and how you can fix the problem. I also second the draw err'day notion.

HondaFoo posted some pretty good videos a while ago on breaking down the shape of the human head, might be helpful as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeEf1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZLkyTuX_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS6R2l8t8wo

I would say welcome to the AE but I feel like I've seen you post here before.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just had a brilliant idea.

We have 10 fingers, so the mathematical system we use is base 10 because of that.

BUT in a cartoon world, they often only have 8 fingers.

It would be a really neat idea if you wrote out their math such as currency exchange in base 8 instead of base 10

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This here is a design I made for a contest. It's rather simplistic, and I feel it a copout, somewhat, considering the piss easy method I took to make the icons vector images.

I feel like I should have shifted the hand more to the left, but marginally so. I also almost feel like I should have added another circle to reach beyond the text so that too was within a parameter rather than leave it hanging off the circle like I have it. But then, I think that could have made it feel more cluttered.

I don't know.

Anyway, I have the option of submitting Three entries. So I want to do one more. I have until friday.

Morin0

Smash Lord
So, I am not the only one that is stuck on that rut of not drawing. XD

I'm gonna draw some things soon. I've been inspired a bit.

@ZIO

What's the contest about? It might help if you're looking for critique. It looks like Minecraft to me and I have somewhat an idea on what Minecraft is about so if this is true, it's pretty clever I'd say :p

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
never stop drawing!!!!!!!!!!!!

even if u draw a stick figure on a post it note at least you drew something

draw whatever comes into your mind

like an elephant

or an octopus

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
...I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to draw the first things that are coming to my mind

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Not bad.

As for me, could start drawing when I start full sail in November. Either I take Digiatal arts and design a pay a whopping $80,500 tuition cost, or study math as hard as I ever studied and take game design for 6x less the amount ($31,000+).

I want Mac.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
If you go into game design....
I wouldnt get a Mac....

Macs cannot run stuff like 3ds, etc without dual booting
Aka you're paying a good amount of money for an apple product, and then you have to pay to put windows on the system.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Okay

Here's my stuff.

How do i make faces :(
What is it that you don't like about your faces? Are you wanting to draw in a more realistic fashion, or are you trying to get to a more professional level in that style?

Either way I would try practicing the basic form of the head from observation. Try to understand it as a 3D object that you can rotate in space--where it curves, bulges, recedes, where the main angles are--instead of just lines. The main thing that seems to be off is the symmetry, it doesn't look like the eyes, nose, and mouth are quite centered in those drawings. The features look pasted on flat.

This shoddy paintover should show you what I mean. Try to find the center line running down the surface of the face, and base features/proportions around that.

Also we have a Critique Thread if you want to post more for getting advice.

Top Bottom