• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah, it's pretty satisfying hehe. just gotta make sure to stay inspired and not make the art feel like busywork just because it's "homework"

all about attitude

something i've been learning lately

Geist

Smash Master
yeah that's the great thing about demo reel work. Once all the training gets done they pretty much go 'okay make whatever the hell you want', and just give direction and pointers.
So I'm always inspired lol

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ok, I am not even CLOSE to being done. This is taking a lot longer than I thought so I'll give you a preview I guess.

Prepare to be underwhelmed. This is a very rough first draft...

That arm is a placeholder, I haven't started it yet

Geist

Smash Master
Appropriately creepy.
Though I'm not sure if the wheel should be in perspective, since there's only one side visibly attaching itself. Disregard this if you just haven't drawn it in yet.

Also, a tip for drawing ovals and circles - try drawing them by locking your wrist completely and moving your shoulder in a circular motion. It makes lines much cleaner and round.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah that's the great thing about demo reel work. Once all the training gets done they pretty much go 'okay make whatever the hell you want', and just give direction and pointers.
So I'm always inspired lol
wow. this hypes me up to get all the foundational stuff finished. hahaha ahhhh!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Appropriately creepy.
Though I'm not sure if the wheel should be in perspective, since there's only one side visibly attaching itself. Disregard this if you just haven't drawn it in yet.

Also, a tip for drawing ovals and circles - try drawing them by locking your wrist completely and moving your shoulder in a circular motion. It makes lines much cleaner and round.
I know it's at an awkward angle, but I actually wanted only 1 side attached

having a hard time figure out how to draw the attachment part though

Geist

Smash Master
Give it another oval on the bottom of the bar that attaches it. Like a bolt of some sort. You just need important information that will make people fill in the rest for themselves.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Worked on it a little more

The angle may be off because my printer scanned it funny. Not much more of an improvement

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Do any of you use gimp?

I'm trying to figure out what tool to do lines with. The pencil and paint brushes leave jagged edges as far as I've tried.

In the old days I lined with illustrator and did coloring in photoshop (Or Illustrator itself depending on what I was doing) Gimp doesn't seem to have a pen tool

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Psycho, I use GIMP. I use brushes and the lines I set with my tablet with a normal Circle (11) aren't jagged (imo). If it still bothers you, I suggest you pick the Paths Tool and you can set the lines you want, click stroke path, and then you have very clean lines.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Psycho, I use GIMP. I use brushes and the lines I set with my tablet with a normal Circle (11) aren't jagged (imo). If it still bothers you, I suggest you pick the Paths Tool and you can set the lines you want, click stroke path, and then you have very clean lines.
Actually, that paths tool is exactly what I was looking for.

LOL, it even uses a pen tip as it's icon.

Edit: Still would prefer I still had access to Illustrator though

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I bought a set of ink pens a while ago, but I've never used them so I'm not sure how well that would work out.

I'm worried it would splatter all over everything, I should probably try it on a copy first

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Smudge is the main tool in my drawing, so I see why I have no complaints about GIMP yet. Then again, I've never tried any other image... thingy, what are they called? Image Editors/Modifiers?

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Image editing program? o:

I do most my stuff in SAI now, sometimes I use GIMP to give it some sort of special effect. I kinda wish I could try out Photoshop, though I just discovered the marker tool in SAI which makes things so so much better. :D

Geist

Smash Master
If you want something to complain about in gimp try using the text tool.
Go on use it.
Wait before you do, save whatever you're working on and make a backup copy.

Geist

Smash Master
Oh nothing, just crashes gimp 100% of the time.
It's a known bug. "Text tool does not work ever"

Gimp also has a bad habit of corrupting files when it crashes.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
At one time, I was on my way through college (Straight A's), making my way to being a great graphic designer...

End of story, ended up dropping out.

Had photoshop and Illustrator back than, but I haven't used them in years. I haven't had much practice in the last, 3 years at least

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Drama

More then that though, money.

I wasn't able to get financial aid

Edit: I had to stop because of money. I didn't try harder to stay because of drama. I guess you could put it like that

Geist

Smash Master

@Bren, maybe it's the version of GIMP you have? I've used the text tool plenty of times and it's never crashed ever. :s
It was the newest version (at the time. I haven't caught up with newer versions if they exist.)
To clarify, choosing the font would immediately crash upon touching the menu slider. It was still possible to type your font in directly, but even that was extremely clumsy.
I stopped using gimp after it crashed one of my files and completely corrupted it. It's not a very stable program.

neous

Smash Journeyman
http://youtu.be/HG2Pb2OLd3E

woot finished my hmwrk.

ill be posting details concerning my request that you guys participate in an art type thing, apparently it will be published in association to Rutgers university according to my noobfessor.

ill likely post about it here bc no one cares about my thread.

neous

Smash Journeyman
lokii, id appreciate it very much. i have a funny story of what went down in class, [was a complete ******* in front of my entire class to my professor bc of the bull**** going on], as well on details of how to help, ill explain later if i have time.

just to provide a lil taste of what to expect:

e gallery, e story book, possible narration by Samuel L jackson (ima write him a letter?) or imposter, song writing, project with research paper will be published, names will be indexed and searchable/ affiliated with rutgers [good for resumes im told but who knows might be bs], fun stuff. an interactive video.

all integrated somehow, related to the theme of comfort foods, for science, and for community service!

ill try my best to explain later.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
whoa neous, that is a pretty sick piece!

i'd like to see it without the effects though? kinda distracting!

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Sounds like it'll be fun :o
And love the graffiti! I need some pointers duuude!

Started my 4 week life drawing workshop today!! First time doing actual life drawing "classes" (i think i take my formal life drawing next quarter). It was interesting :o teacher helped me out and said I was doing good, which is a relief!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
you got this

people who draw stylized anime stuff usually transition into life drawing pretty well, as long as you are very observant and try not to fall into bad habits (like focusing too much on outline, for example)

at least, this was the case for me

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Luckily, I payed attention to the shapes. And i was never one for drawing the sharper, more desu anime style, so i have good organic lines apparently

Aiming to have the toughest teacher for character and object. She literally hates the game art kids. Told a kid his talent died in a fire with his fiance since his work suffered from her passing TT__TT

Top Bottom