• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Should Luigi be moved from Super Mario to Luigi's Mansion, and we get King Boo as a newcomer?

Luigi's Mansion as an official series in Smash?

• Yes

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Yes, but no King Boo

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 63 66.3%

• Total voters

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Hype for Luigi's Mansion 3!

In celebration for the game, what if Luigi got his spot moved from a Super Mario character to his own series, Luigi's Mansion? In the order of series, he would appear after Pokemon and before Earthbound. Luigi could also be updated to use weapons/gadgets from the new game, whatever they may be.

And King Boo as a second fighter! Creating a moveset for him isn't hard. I'm sure there is a support thread for him, but that's not what this is about. It's simply suggesting the idea alongside adding Luigi's Mansion to the official series index.

So what do you think?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
King Boo is a cool character, but Luigi will never not be a "Mario character".

One could try to argue that Wario and even Yoshi got their own game icons, but Luigi is P2 and a totally different case imo.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I agree with SmashBro99 SmashBro99 . Luigi is a Mario character through and through. Mario even appears in Luigi's Mansion. But I would definitely be down for him to get the Poltergust added to his move set properly - not just in his final smash.

Also, King Boo could be a cool fighter, but I see him more as a boss fight, personally

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Honestly it's bad enough that :ultyoshi: and :ultwario: aren't part of the same universe as :ultmario: in spite of their origins and continuous appearances in his games. We honestly don't need :ultluigi: to create yet another branch off that.

Before you guys ask about :ultdk:...
...I am fine with him having a unique icon for multiple reasons. The franchise now has multiple characters in the cast including :ultdiddy: and :ultkrool: with hopefully more to come (fingers crossed for Dixie Kong). Also the origins he has with :ultmario: are well before :ultmario:'s first standalone game. If anything, :ultmario: branched off of :ultdk: seeing as the first game for both of them was titled Donkey Kong.

So no, I don't think we should create another universe stemming off :ultmario:.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
:joyful::rotfl::joyful::rotfl:

NO. That is a terrible idea.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I wouldn't like Luigi having his own spin-off title or own icon. He's the brother of Mario, and if they ever went that route, I'd always consider him a Mario character regardless, the same way I consider Yoshi, Wario, and DK. Each of them branched off of somewhere where Mario was present, and they're in the same universe.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly it's bad enough that :ultyoshi: and :ultwario: aren't part of the same universe as :ultmario: in spite of their origins and continuous appearances in his games. We honestly don't need :ultluigi: to create yet another branch off that.

...I am fine with him having a unique icon for multiple reasons. The franchise now has multiple characters in the cast including :ultdiddy: and :ultkrool: with hopefully more to come (fingers crossed for Dixie Kong). Also the origins he has with :ultmario: are well before :ultmario:'s first standalone game. If anything, :ultmario: branched off of :ultdk: seeing as the first game for both of them was titled Donkey Kong.

To be fair, the Wario franchise does have its own identity separate from Mario as inconsistent as it is. Yoshi's also growing into its own with the franchise's focus on unique artstyles and being prequels to the mainline Mario games.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Separating the 2nd hero in Mario in favor of his own sub series would be ridiculous

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
No because Luigi is still very much a major part of the Mario series.
In addition to that, Mario and co. appear in the Luigi's Mansion games.

King Boo would be a cool character though.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
This is an interesting point of discussion. And for those immediately dismissing the idea...I'd like to point out that this is less about looking at the character himself and more about how the Luigi's Mansion series is represented as a whole.

Yes, Luigi stars in it. And yes, Mario and some Mario series characters have featured in the games. But looking beyond a handful of characters, Luigi's Mansion actually has less aesthetic and gameplay similarities to even the Yoshi and Wario series, who have their own symbols. I mean, Yoshi and Wario are actually platformers, and at least with Yoshi, regularly feature common Mario enemies. Wario branches off further with WarioWare, but in general, the roots of these two series are far closer to Mario than Luigi's Mansion. Both of them shared an appearance by Mario in the first game, as LM did, but then became their own thing, as the gameplay and general mechanics were far too removed from Mario to call it Mario.

Luigi's Mansion is WAY removed from classic Mario gameplay. If Luigi wasn't the protag, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion; the series would have been its own universe by now, no question. To tie the whole thing down as Mario just because Luigi is the one operating the vacuum is silly, and ignores Luigi's individuality and potential to be his own character, which he has in spades (moreso than Mario, IMO.) If Wario, literally the Shadow of the Mario series, can get his own series, then there's absolutely no reason Luigi can't.

Also, some food for thought: if we were talking about the LM stage ONLY, or trophies and other items but NOT Luigi getting a symbol, would you still say no?

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
To be fair, the Wario franchise does have its own identity separate from Mario as inconsistent as it is. Yoshi's also growing into its own with the franchise's focus on unique artstyles and being prequels to the mainline Mario games.
The thing is that those two are still linked to Mario more often than not to this day. Yoshi made his first appearance in Super Mario World, and while he has a few games to his name like Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Wooly World, he is a huge ally to Mario still to this day. He's arguably more of an ally than his own brother Luigi even. Yoshi has helped Mario rescue Peach from whatever bull crap Bowser got her wrapped up into with each installment countless times including famous titles like SM Sunshine, SM Galaxy 2, NSMBWii, NSMBU, and more. He even saved Mario himself in SM64 for the DS. Speaking of saving Mario's butt, the sequel/prequel (whatever you want to call "SM World 2: Yoshi's Island") to Yoshi's very first game was literally about him doing that. Yoshi has even made many appearances in several spin off games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Mario sports games. That's more than what can be said for characters like Doctor Mario or Geno, but people apparently still want them in Smash games. Yoshi is apart of Mario, and him being his own franchise just looks wrong to be honest.

Wario has a bit of a stronger case for being from a unique franchise, but he has still been part of the extended family making appearances in Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Mario sports games just like Yoshi, but he still is the only one of his franchise. It wouldn't be unreasonable that he has his own universe icon if we saw a new WarioWare representative, but Ashley has been deconfirmed already.

Besides, I don't think a few standalone games is enough to define a character as its own unique franchise. To state an example, have you ever heard of the game staring Nintendo's most iconic damsel in distress titled Super Princess Peach before? If a game or two is enough to define each character's own universe, then why is Peach still part of the Mario universe? Doctor Mario from the game Doctor Mario is another example.

It is why I have those opinions regarding Yoshi and Wario. It is also why I think Luigi should not be another Smash universe that branches off of Mario based off the Luigi's Mansion games. King Boo would be a nice character, but we don't need to create another Mario branching universe.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Universe-branding can get weird. Even Wrecking Crew is its own universe in Smash, despite the fact it's in the official Marioverse and there are no characters for the WC stage (yet).

Although I wouldn't mind King Boo.

JMac52

Smash Cadet
Since Luigi’s Mansion 3 was announced, I think King Boo has a decent chance at being DLC. I’d love to see it personally. As for the question, I don’t think see the emblem changing since he’s had the mushroom since Smash 64.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well according to the Best Selling Nintendo Games Franchises, Luigi has done enough solo to be ranked as his own game series as he sits above both Pikmin and F-Zero(and the likes of Mother too) so potentially. Although since he's the brother in Super Mario Brothers, it does seem a little weird to swap him out.

I'm not against Luigi being his own thing, but something about King Boo being a fighter feels weird to me. He's a ghost with infinite flight. To make him workable in Smash he'd have to lose that infinite flight and be tangible so you can hit him. Basically you'd have to remove his Boo like abilities.

If people seem to struggle with the concept of Captain Toad taking off his backpack so he can jump, I'm really wondering if they'll be able to get their heads around that concept. Wouldn't be against an eventual E.Gadd inclusion of some variety though.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Luigi shouldn't be separate. He's Mario's brother for christ sakes. It at least makes sense with Wario, Yoshi and Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Universe-branding can get weird. Even Wrecking Crew is its own universe in Smash, despite the fact it's in the official Marioverse and there are no characters for the WC stage (yet).

Although I wouldn't mind King Boo.
Yeah, things can get pretty strange and muddled, especially with a series so long-running and diverse as Mario. I don't think there's any doubt in the fans' minds that these sub-series are most definitely different beasts--look at Paper Mario, M&L, and Super Mario RPG. All Mario RPGs, but often classified as completely different series by fans, because, well...they are totally different. There are similarities, but they've clearly got different fans clamoring for each one.

In fact, I'd point to the whole Paper Mario as a Smash character issue as a relevant point in this discussion. Many people want PM as a unique fighter, because he would not only represent this long-running franchise, but also have unique abilities. And yet, he is still another Mario. He would probably have the mushroom emblem. He couldn't even be a semi-clone. He would be a full newcomer, representing a large series with its own style...and it's still just Mario.

It's the one thing that stops me from saying PM should be in Smash. It's weird to have that dilemma. Honestly, I just wish Nintendo would stop shoehorning established characters into series that could have been brand-new IP (like Luigi's Mansion.) It makes everything so confusing, at least in the case of Smash.

And for the record, I would totally have given Dr. Mario its own symbol, for the same reason as LM. Yet another case where Mario didn't need to be inserted...it scares me that Pikmin almost suffered that same fate.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think King Boo would make a much better boss than a playable character, and despite having 3 solo games now, Luigi is still best known for his roles in Mario games.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think King Boo would make a much better boss than a playable character, and despite having 3 solo games now, Luigi is still best known for his roles in Mario games.
Agreed and considering the concept and theme of the supposed story mode. It fits him really alongside Hades.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Agreed and considering the concept and theme of the supposed story mode. It fits him really alongside Hades.
You know, on that topic, it makes me wonder about something.

If Rayman makes it in, Hades could be an antagonist to him as well as the KI crew, seeing as the former went through an Olympian world in Rayman Legends. Said world even has an H emblem throughout, most likely standing for "Hades".

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You know, on that topic, it makes me wonder about something.

If Rayman makes it in, Hades could be an antagonist to him as well as the KI crew, seeing as the former went through an Olympian world in Rayman Legends. Said world even has an H emblem throughout, most likely standing for "Hades".
My idea for Hades in Spirits is unlike the other bosses. He's an recurring antagonist in Spirits being among the masterminds (While the actual Big Bad is really behind everything) who had recruited villains like Bowser, Bowser Jr., Dark Samus, Ganondorf, King K. Rool and Ridley as well as mercenaries like Wario and Wolf to collect spirits for him. The concept fits really being Sakurai made Uprising and due to Hades' nature of devouring souls.

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
With Luigi’s Mansion now having 3 games, I would love for this to happen. King Boo is heavily underrated and would offer such an awesome moveset. It would be fantastic. He’s so menacing. His Luigi’s Mansion 1 design is my most preferred design. I’d even go as far as saying we need another Luigi’s Mansion level as well. All I can hope for though, is that we get Kingo Boo as a Boss in Spirits mode or atleast be an Assist Trophy.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not until his moveset accurately reflects Luigi's Mansion.

My idea for Hades in Spirits is unlike the other bosses. He's an recurring antagonist in Spirits being among the masterminds (While the actual Big Bad is really behind everything) who had recruited villains like Bowser, Bowser Jr., Dark Samus, Ganondorf, King K. Rool and Ridley as well as mercenaries like Wario and Wolf to collect spirits for him. The concept fits really being Sakurai made Uprising and due to Hades' nature of devouring souls.
I would find this exceptionally disappointing. Hades being the biggest evil in all of Nintendo? At least a made up character is not divisive.
If they want to go with an obscure game, I'd prefer they make those obscure games the true 'bad guys,' who just want to get in and receive the love the playable characters get.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not until his moveset accurately reflects Luigi's Mansion.

I would find this exceptionally disappointing. Hades being the biggest evil in all of Nintendo? At least a made up character is not divisive.
If they want to go with an obscure game, I'd prefer they make those obscure games the true 'bad guys,' who just want to get in and receive the love the playable characters get.
What would you do to make it reflect it, Pup? Obviously more with the Poltergust but I'm curious on your personal thoughts and ideas around a Luigi's Mansion based moveset.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Personally, I feel that King Boo's best chances are as a trophy cameo, or a stage hazard.

Also, it should be noted that Dr. Mario has his own series, and yet he still uses the same series symbol and victory theme as Mario.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yoshi's Island and Warioware were already established franchises before Yoshi and Wario got in. Luigi's Mansion was not.

Also y'all crazy if you think Warioware falls under the Mario umbrella.

31fps

Banned via Warnings
I personally think that would be a good idea, to bring my boy Luigi out of Mario's shadow.

Also hype for LM3

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Luigi's Mansion more than deserves its own recognition at this point. The fact that Luigi still only uses the Poltergust in his Final Smash is baffling. He stars in a three, soon to be four, game franchise, with three main series games, a remake of the first game, and an arcade spin-off. Plus it'd open the door for E. Gadd and King Boo as playable characters, and maybe even Polterpup as an Assist Trophy.

It'd also be a great way to rework more of Luigi's moveset. Give him the Poltergust during his grabs and allow his neutral special to change into a command grab attack with it. Maybe even make it act like K. Rool's Blunderbuss. Shoot out a plunger, suck, and shoot. Green Missile already copies Skull Bash anyway, so why not? Maybe make his down special into the Flashlight, which, if it hits the foe while they're looking toward Luigi, puts them into momentary hitstun to stop their forward momentum. That'd inadvertently help declone Doctor Mario as well, even.

I've always been of the opinion that if Yoshi's Island can be recognized as its own franchise in Smash despite Yoshi being so intrinsically tied to Mario as his steed, then Luigi's Mansion more than deserves to as well. It'd go a long way toward giving Luigi back his real identity rather than the one Smash made up for him. That's why I loved Luigi in Simon's trailer so much...he actually acted like Luigi.

Personally, no. As big as Luigi's Mansion is, Luigi is still the secondary protagonist of the Mario franchise, and it would be weird to see him representing a different universe. He's Mario's player 2, and it would be much weirder seeing him as a non-Mario character than Yoshi, Wario, and especially Donkey Kong.

I'd be down for King Boo, though, so if there was an option added to the poll that said "No, but I would like King Boo," I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!!! DK is it's OWN franchise and Mario spinned off from DK not the other away around. If it wasn't for the original arcade DK there would be NO Mario or hell probably even Nintendo as we know it. Tired of DK being treated like some 2nd rate spin-off series on the same level as Wario Land and Yoshi's Island. If I could upvote you a 100 times I would.

Also if King Boo gets in he better use his Luigi's Mansion appearance design. You know with the colored tounge, dark eyes, and ruby crown. No more of this lazy "let's save on development" and enlarging a regular boo and putting a yellow crown on him. Luigi's Mansion King Boo actually looks sorta menacing, the king boo they use in Mario spin-offs looks like a cuddly pushover. As for E.Gadd I can't ever see him getting a Smash appearence this guy rarely shows up in Mario spin-offs. I think at most he had a game board based off of him in Mario Party 6 and he appeared in Partners in Time. Once he stars appearing in Tennis, Kart, Strikers, Baseball, Golf as a playable character then I could MAYBE see it.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!!! DK is it's OWN franchise and Mario spinned off from DK not the other away around. If it wasn't for the original arcade DK there would be NO Mario or hell probably even Nintendo as we know it. Tired of DK being treated like some 2nd rate spin-off series on the same level as Wario Land and Yoshi's Island. If I could upvote you a 100 times I would.
I'd argue that arcade DK and Country DK shouldn't be looked at as the same franchise due to them having traditionally Mario gameplay. Instead I'd argue both Super Mario Bros. AND Donkey Kong Country are spin-offs of the Donkey Kong arcade game.

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
Luigi getting a Luigi’s mansion icon? Nay

King Boo (if in the game) getting a Luigi’s mansion icon and being designed after his Luigi’s mansion appearances? Yea

Folt

Smash Ace
Basically, the Mario and Donkey Kong franchises as we know of them are sibling franchises and Yoshi and Wario are child franchises to the former.

As for Luigi possibly getting his own emblem... I actually wouldn't be opposed to it. It'd be cool of the biggest Player 2 in gaming actually got his own stuff in the same manner that Yoshi and especially Wario did, but I'm not sure if Luigi's Mansion 3 will be the game to do it.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Basically, the Mario and Donkey Kong franchises as we know of them are sibling franchises and Yoshi and Wario are parent franchises to the former.

As for Luigi possibly getting his own emblem... I actually wouldn't be opposed to it. It'd be cool of the biggest Player 2 in gaming actually got his own stuff in the same manner that Yoshi and especially Wario did, but I'm not sure if Luigi's Mansion 3 will be the game to do it.
What? No. The Mario franchise is a parent franchise to the Yoshi and Wario franchises. Not the other way around.

TheBean

Banned via Warnings
I think this would be a cool idea. A good way of re-imagining the way we organize the roster.

D

Deleted member

Eh, I dunno. I wouldn't be opposed to it, it'd just seem a bit unnecessary to change Luigi's icon. King Boo would be funny to see as a newcomer, though.

Top Bottom