• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #8 - Would You Buy SWF Gear?

Would You Buy SWF Gear?

• Yes, at a reasonable price

Votes: 89 31.2%
  • No, I'm not really interested

Votes: 57 20.0%
  • Maybe, I'd have to see the goods first

Votes: 139 48.8%

• Total voters

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Well, we have an icon (go here and look in the top left, it's the hand holding the SSB sign ), and I always wondered if people would be interested in buying stuff with the logo and name on it if we sold it (through cafepress or something like that, chi). I think it'd be cool to wear around every now and then, for fellow smashers could recognize the site and you can find new people to play with that way, or people could wear it at tournaments, or have a mug to hold pencils with the logo on it, or whatever.

So, is anyone interested?

SPARTAN

Smash Cadet
I'd buy it as long as it looks cool. Maybe you could put each character with the logo (individually) so everybody could have one of their main.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'd definetely buy it. I wouldn't buy something like a mug, though. Probably just a T-shirt or something so that Smashers I don't know would recognize me, and maybe I'll find some people who like Smash but don't know how to play too well, and the shirt would start the conversation. They'd be like, "Whoa, a Smash Bros. site?" And then I'd be like, "Yeah. And umm...go to it." *awkward silence* "Err, if you want to learn how to play good. And stuff. Because like, this game's awesome."

On second thought I'd probably just scare those people off. But yeah, I'd buy that stuff.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
ZMan: We don't know. Hats, mugs, bumperstickers (I know I'd love a SWF bumpersticker for my car :p) whatever.

Spartan: The problem would be, is that the characters are licensed by Nintendo. We don't want to sell stuff then be sued by Nintendo. Doesn't mean we won't look into things.

Lange

Smash Journeyman
I voted "Maybe, I would need to see the goods first", I think it would be a cool idea to sell SWF merchandise, and give the site some extra money to add to the community. It also woul dbe cool to just have the logos on SWFs on merchandise like T-shirts and hats to advertise the community. It would just depend on what it was..clothing would be good and possibly pens and other things also.

rezz

Smash Journeyman
wow i wood love a shirt with things on it like master hand or falco i say yes i dont care if its 70$ :)

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
Man SWF colthing would rock. And by that I mean SWF not SW because I've really never looked at any other sites on the network...
Also I agree, pants would be pretty weird, but a T-shirt or something would be kick ***. Also could be a nice source of income for SWF ^^

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
It WOULD be cool to put the SSBM logo on stuff, but being the SSBM logo, it's owned by Hal and/or Nintendo. SWF should have a logo, and put that on stuff.

Lange

Smash Journeyman
Well from what it has seemed, a lot of us WOULD like to have available SWF merhandise. Well I have given some thought and I would think that the merchandise could have a mix of logos, from SSB games and with a custom logo from SWF, and you could buy whatever logo you want on the merchandise. Well, would SSB logos be a problem to put on because it is owned by HAL/Nintendo, or is it ok because I thought this site was sponsored by Nintendo.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
It would be sweet to walk around representing the forum.

I think that the shirts should be customizable, so that people could walk around with their username pasted accross their chests. It would be perfect for at tournaments. However, customizable shirts would obviously have to cost more thana normal one, but hey, it's sooo worth it. I would wear it at smash fests and everything, just so everyone could know how great I am. So like, if I had a custom shirt, it would say:

(centered)
"FastFox"

"Foxiest Fox in Foxy-Town" (underlined)

Awesome over-all, folks.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
It would kick so much if we could send in our signature banner and have that on the shirt. That being said, I don't have one anyway :laugh:
As far as the more reasonable suggestions, I would love to have a shirt with my forum name that also advertises SWF. It would be amazing to have my main displayed as well. If we do have a SWF logo, I would expect it to be something recognizable like the reflecting "Smashboards" at the top of the page.

So then if we can't have Nintendo characters on the shirt, how did it work for that tournament one sold on eBay?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Already have a hat and some other clothing articles with "
" from the Japanese Hiragana. Started that with Smash. Perhaps a simple monogram added somewhere would be cool IMO.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
This would be pretty cool, another way to support SWF and getting something even more in return. This would have been SO COOL when it was the gamefaqs vs smashboards time, but still a good idea.

Double N Dann

Smash Journeyman
SUNY cobleskill... where kids get 3 stocked 3 on 1
I think this would be awesome... and a really good idea to make money for the forums, considering (and this is just my ******** idea of people) that when people donate money and only get certain "priveleges" on these boards, it makes it less appealing to others who don't have "mad dough". whilst this idea brings about the idea of "hey! support smashboards by sporting cool 'gear' that we design and everything!" and personally i think that is more appealing than making donations.

go for it please

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Time/SpaceMage said:
It would kick so much if we could send in our signature banner and have that on the shirt. That being said, I don't have one anyway :laugh:
As far as the more reasonable suggestions, I would love to have a shirt with my forum name that also advertises SWF. It would be amazing to have my main displayed as well. If we do have a SWF logo, I would expect it to be something recognizable like the reflecting "Smashboards" at the top of the page.

So then if we can't have Nintendo characters on the shirt, how did it work for that tournament one sold on eBay?
Shhh....:p

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
It worked at the tournament because Nintendo's not going to waste their time suing an individual for making a shirt with their character on it, at least not on the first offense. However, we could not feature any Nintendo-licensed characters on anything we sell.

That being said, that doesn't mean there's no way we couldn't sell SSB or SWF themed items. Just think of Penny-Arcade's WoW-themed merchandise that don't directly use anything from WoW. Things like "Rogues do it from behind." or "/spit" don't use anything that is owned by Blizzard, but over 5 million people know exactly what those shirts are talking about.

In the same way, we could do things like that for the forum. I've seen "Dair to Dream" in someone's sig, which everybody here knows what that's in reference to, and it would be a fun slogan to use.

Since we've got this topic open, anybody else have any ideas for slogans/things we could put on merchandise? Keep in mind, we have not committed to anything yet at all, this is just to get a feel for how an endeavor like this might turn out.

_milktea

Smash Lord
meleeruler said:
Custom made shirts with your forum name on it would be cool.
Agreed. Perhaps having overall a unified look with a just a varying name somewhere.

Like..my volleyball sweaters I designed have the same writing on the front but we all have our names embroidered into the sleeves.

Top Bottom