• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Fighters: It's an actual thing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I imagine if they're going as far as getting professional FGC members to "train" the winners of the upcoming pre-release Regionals for the Championships later in July, they'd more than likely iron out a ruleset based on actual competitive merit.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Like, for example. We know Pokkén stages have various different dimensions, correct? Because of that, different characters will prefer different stage sizes. The competitive community will probably set up an elaborate stage striking and counterpicking process to utilize them in a fair way. But if, say, the official PWT competitions pick stages randomly, that could give an advantage to whoever happens to get lucky.

Hopefully, such a situation doesn't end up happening.
I guarantee you stage striking and such will not be a part of Pokken's competitive scene. Smash Bros. is literally the only game to have such convoluted rules regarding stages. Look at any other 3D fighter: Tekken; Soul Calibur; Dead or Alive. None of them really care about stages, and the stages there differ FAR more than in Pokken. It's always random first match, then loser picks whatever stage they want. There are no bans. There's no striking. None of that.

Last edited:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I'm out. This roster is terrible. And I have not seen such a disappointing set of character selection since then. I'm only excited because they have added Dragonite as a support Pokemon. Without that, I would never play this game. Honestly, to think that Nintendo and Bandai selected the choices, they should've done the math. You can critique my comment all you want, but I am saying this from a personal experience. 2016 for Nintendo fighting games is pretty slim and unacceptable for me right now. Not complaining, but I really need to see better selections. I'm just being realistic, that's all.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm out. This roster is terrible. And I have not seen such a disappointing set of character selection since then. I'm only excited because they have added Dragonite as a support Pokemon. Without that, I would never play this game. Honestly, to think that Nintendo and Bandai selected the choices, they should've done the math. You can critique my comment all you want, but I am saying this from a personal experience. 2016 for Nintendo fighting games is pretty slim and unacceptable for me right now. Not complaining, but I really need to see better selections. I'm just being realistic, that's all.
Good bye.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just out of curiousity, who would you include in the roster than the current roster.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
'Kay
I'll just be here
Dancing with the chandelier

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
dragonite
Lol.
Judging from the sudden "prior to the games release" rage quit, I thought it was going to be more drastic than that.

Sure, the roster is far from perfect but it's pretty fun and creative. Personally, the only Pokes that's currently on the roster I cared to see be included was Gardevoir and Garchomp. I'm missing the Pokes I truly care about Toxicroak, Darkrai, Froslass, Scolipede, Alakazam, and Hawlucha.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Just out of curiousity, who would you include in the roster than the current roster.
I'm striking back. I would personally include Arcanine, or maybe even Goodra, or maybe even Breloom. IDK. Sorry that I overreacted, it's just that I'm upset at Nintendo and Bandai for failing me, once again this year. Seriously, when will they ever be able to make my favorite character a PLAYABLE one? I'm getting sick of this NPC business, and I'm tempted to just opt out of Nintendo games altogether in the Pokemon department, if I can't see my fellow :149:. I hope that the future games Nintendo releases after 2016 will include him for once. All in all, being a support character isn't totally boring or dumb, it's just annoying to see that the character cannot participate in fighting, that's all.

Also, I'll play Pokken, on one conclusion: Nobody mock me for losing Dragonite or any other fighter that did NOT make the playable character roster for Pokken.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Seriously, when will they ever be able to make my favorite character a PLAYABLE one? I'm getting sick of this NPC business, and I'm tempted to just opt out of Nintendo games altogether in the Pokemon department, if I can't see my fellow :149:.
Ok, that is well beyond dramatic. I hate to break it to you but the world doesn't change because one guy wants it to.

Maybe in Pokken 2(if it ever happens) you'll see Dragonite join the fighter roster. Giving up Pokemon altogether because Dragonite (A POKEMON) isn't a fighter makes no sense and comes off as a kid throwing a tantrum.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm going to be somewhat optimistic and say to hold out until release before complaining about the roster.

Who was the last Pokemon announced? Chandelure? How long ago was that and how often did we get reveals?

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
I'm going to be somewhat optimistic and say to hold out until release before complaining about the roster.

Who was the last Pokemon announced? Chandelure? How long ago was that and how often did we get reveals?
We got 1 new character pretty much every month or so. We got Chandy on January 15th. February is coming to a close and all we've heard is "full roster" this and "full roster" that, meaning the 16 we already know are likely the final count.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
We got 1 new character pretty much every month or so. We got Chandy on January 15th. February is coming to a close and all we've heard is "full roster" this and "full roster" that, meaning the 16 we already know are likely the final count.
Pretty sure we're due for another Nintendo Direct though... Has anybody involved with the game actually said this is the final roster?

Still, not going to complain if this is it. Just saying there's still a chance for something else.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Pretty sure we're due for another Nintendo Direct though... Has anybody involved with the game actually said this is the final roster?

Still, not going to complain if this is it. Just saying there's still a chance for something else.
I don't think they've officially confirmed that this is the final line-up...atm it just sounds like most assume that this is the case...

Regardless if it is or not the team isn't saying much right now...its less than a month before the game's release so if there's more we should find out soon...

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
The thing is people who have the full build have played through the full game and the only two characters avaiable to unlock are the Mewtwos. If there was another character, we would know by now.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The thing is people who have the full build have played through the full game and the only two characters avaiable to unlock are the Mewtwos. If there was another character, we would know by now.
It's not unheard of to withhold content until release, though. Even looking at the intro we've been given it wouldn't be hard to add in another segment with another character or two.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Considering there are review copies floating around with no mention of more characters, this is probably all there'll be for the base game. However, that doesn't rule out postgame releases a la Splatoon or DLC. I'm willing to bet we'll get at least a few more characters through some means.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A Pokemon Direct is scheduled for Friday so let's see what we get.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Let me explain thoroughly why I would play Pokken: There are two reasons I would play. The first reason, is that the stage selection is pretty cool, and that you can use combo breakers on your opponents. The second reason, is that you can have some supporter Pokemon to help at least cheer you on in the heat of a battle. Unfortunately, there are two things I DISLIKE about Pokken to a major extant. The two major things are: #1. The character selection for now is very poor, with only the more used characters getting the spotlight, and #2, the acclaimed gen 1 Dragon Pokemon that I like, not only lost smash bros DLC, but did not make it as a playable character on the Pokken roster. If only Nintendo would understand me and the fans who support :149:.

(Sigh...)
Ugh. I only wish that this game would achieve some more characters to the selection list.
Hands down, this game is good, but definitely NOT 100% acceptable in my terms.
I'm going to only say this again, one more time. If people want action, wait until after the next Pokemon game comes out later this year, or in 2017.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Let me explain thoroughly why I would play Pokken: There are two reasons I would play. The first reason, is that the stage selection is pretty cool, and that you can use combo breakers on your opponents. The second reason, is that you can have some supporter Pokemon to help at least cheer you on in the heat of a battle. Unfortunately, there are two things I DISLIKE about Pokken to a major extant. The two major things are: #1. The character selection for now is very poor, with only the more used characters getting the spotlight, and #2, the acclaimed gen 1 Dragon Pokemon that I like, not only lost smash bros DLC, but did not make it as a playable character on the Pokken roster. If only Nintendo would understand me and the fans who support :149:.

(Sigh...)
Ugh. I only wish that this game would achieve some more characters to the selection list.
I'm going to only say this again, one more time. If people want action, wait until after the next Pokemon game comes out later this year, or in 2017.
Problem with that is that it's the most popular dragon, but far from the most popular or iconic Gen 1 'mon, it was popular enough to get an assist but not playable, and that's better than nothing. There's a huge character pool and a small shortlist(if we get 20 characters it will only be less than 1/35 of all pokemon) that is already biased toward gen 1.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

(Sigh...)
Using more popular pokemon is one of the better ways to please as many people as possible...Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, and Lucario all have A LOT of fans...on their own would probably sell the game...while other pokemon like Gardevoir, Gengar, and Suicune are still pretty popular, yes...they don't really get the spotlight all that often...especially compared to a bunch of other promoted pokemon and legends...

As much as it sucks your most wanted fighter was relegated to an NPC (this is what happened to my two most wanted characters in Smash, mind you...so I know how it feels), you still gotta take in the fact there's an actual pokemon fighting game...in the future with probable sequels (unless the game bombs hard) Dragonite may have a better chance on a larger roster...and if the game does get sequels I can see the roster expand A LOT...probably even rivaling Smash's roster size eventually...

But another thing to consider there are plenty of other pokemon (popular ones too) and fans of those pokemon who got nothing at all in this game...you can't please everybody...

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Whatever though. I respect my Champion Dragon-Pokemon a lot, and I will expect better from Nintendo, and the Pokemon company. I only support Dragon-type Pokemon (including Salamence, Grachomp, Haxourus, Altaria, Goodra, Etc.) Dragonite is my top domain level Pokemon, hands down a champion. I just feel as though he could have received more attention, and I stand fir with my position about complaining about the character selection. Nintendo does this every time a Pokemon game comes out. They make the more used Pokemon get better spotlight attention, than the rare Psuedo-legendary Pokemon, which deserve a helluva lot better position. I'm being reasonable on my own terms, and if you don't like it, then just leave me to Dragon-types. Nothing suites me better than seeing "Dragonite" get a spotlight position, because believe me, the other Dragonite fans around the world are just as P.O'D as I am right now. I refuse to give up, even if you don't support my feudal cause.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Whatever though. I respect my Champion Dragon-Pokemon a lot, and I will expect better from Nintendo, and the Pokemon company. I only support Dragon-type Pokemon (including Salamence, Grachomp, Haxourus, Altaria, Goodra, Etc.) Dragonite is my top domain level Pokemon, hands down a champion. I just feel as though he could have received more attention, and I stand fir with my position about complaining about the character selection. Nintendo does this every time a Pokemon game comes out. They make the more used Pokemon get better spotlight attention, than the rare Psuedo-legendary Pokemon, which deserve a helluva lot better position. I'm being reasonable on my own terms, and if you don't like it, then just leave me to Dragon-types. Nothing suites me better than seeing "Dragonite" get a spotlight position, because believe me, the other Dragonite fans around the world are just as P.O'D as I am right now. I refuse to give up, even if you don't support my feudal cause.
I'm confused. Are you trolling or are you actually serious? Cause you're talking so much **** on an unreleased game because your one special character isn't playable. Like c'mon, there's over 700 of these damn things. Not everyone is gonna be pleased.
If you want Dragonite to be playable so much, then maybe try supporting the game. Maybe GF will see that we enjoyed the concept and create a sequel with a bigger roster, and maybe they'll give Dragonite the Little Mac treatment and make them playable.
Otherwise, please just, like, leave or something. Pretty sure everyone's tired of your incessant whining.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That was some impeccable timing on my part.

Though, Serebii is saying it's only five minutes long and that's a pretty special date. Most likely they're going to reveal Z or whatever and talk about the previous games to fill the gap like they did with X & Y. If they wanted to reveal some Pokke-

Hm, maybe not. There's a chance they're calling it a Pokemon Direct to goad people into tuning in to them showing off Pokken. Kinda :083: but yaknow.

I'm coming in with zero expectations though.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
If the Direct really is only 5 minutes, then yeah, it probably won't have anything Pokkén-related. Z would be the obvious guess, but I wonder if a mere third version of an existing game would warrant that entire time. Would there be more to it, or could there possibly be a second trailer?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If the Direct really is only 5 minutes, then yeah, it probably won't have anything Pokkén-related. Z would be the obvious guess, but I wonder if a mere third version of an existing game would warrant that entire time. Would there be more to it, or could there possibly be a second trailer?
Usually Pokemon trailers are about 2 minutes long from what I'm hearing... It's possible there's two trailers but I'm more inclined to think they're going to be talking during the rest of it.

They just give us estimates for the length of directs, though. So we could get 1:30 of talking, 2 min of trailer, another 30 seconds of talking, then another trailer.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It could also be like the end of last year's E3, with that 30 years of Mario montage everyone loves to forget.

I would neither rule anything out, nor get my hopes up.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Alright, If the admins want me to play fair, then I will be admitting my allegiance to Pokken. After all, the main gameplay is nice and all, and I would like to say that I'm sorry that I overreacted. I just am having a bad year in 2016 with my favorite Pokemon, that's all.:149:. To think I lost smash bros. And now Pokken, Oh well, it was worth a shot for the money. I guess Nintendo and Gamefreak had other idea's that left some fans happy, while some fans like me, Unhappy by the character selection. I apologize for the incovience I caused earlier.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Give it a week tops and you'll do it again so don't apologize.

I really do hope they at least fill in the remaining character slots my OCD will be going wild otherwise.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Alright, If the admins want me to play fair, then I will be admitting my allegiance to Pokken. After all, the main gameplay is nice and all, and I would like to say that I'm sorry that I overreacted. I just am having a bad year in 2016 with my favorite Pokemon, that's all.:149:. To think I lost smash bros. And now Pokken, Oh well, it was worth a shot for the money. I guess Nintendo and Gamefreak had other idea's that left some fans happy, while some fans like me, Unhappy by the character selection. I apologize for the incovience I caused earlier.
Just remember, that while complaints are fine, constantly bringing up the same one over and over isn't. ;p

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone here have any Bug-Type fighters in mind? Besides Scizor, who seems kinda obvious. I think Vespiquen could work as a Puppeteer type character, ordering swarms of Combee around to attack on her behalf. Perhaps Scolipede, with an emphasis on rolling to attack and cover ground quickly. Anyone else have any ideas?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Does anyone here have any Bug-Type fighters in mind? Besides Scizor, who seems kinda obvious. I think Vespiquen could work as a Puppeteer type character, ordering swarms of Combee around to attack on her behalf. Perhaps Scolipede, with an emphasis on rolling to attack and cover ground quickly. Anyone else have any ideas?
Heracross
Pinsir.
Beedrill (w/Mega Evo)
Genesect

There's a lot to choose from.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:212::127::214: are the top three choices...there really isn't any need to discuss, well suited for a fighting game, mega forms, popular...

Galvantula would be a solid choice as well giving us a more unorthodox body type as well as an interesting implementation of electrical traps...

Volcarona also being somewhat unorthodox, sure it's another fire type....but it's a fire type moth....of DOOM!

Ninjask/Yanmega could be interesting little glass cannons, given their speed and use of moves likes Double Team and various bug types moves...being actual flies could make for interesting fighters with a decent use of physical slashes and bug buzzes...

Beedrill....dat Mega dough

Armaldo, could work...not quite as popular as others, but could be interesting using bug/rock and even water type attacks...

Leavanny
Genesect
etc...

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I had Scizor and Galvantula on my roster prediction, with Heracross as an honorable mention. That Vespiquen concept is actually pretty interesting, though.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's impossible to please every single fan. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy a (or either) game for what they are.

You also can never know for sure. I'd all but given up on Nintendo acknowledging my favorite Pokemon (Weavile) in fighting games once it was removed as a Pokeball summon in Smash 4. Yet here it is now, being one of the few lucky enough to be in since the original roster for the base (arcade version) game. If there ever is a sequel/any sort of expansion, I can definitely see some of the assist Pokemon getting promoted to playable status. If nothing else, Dragonite does look pretty awesome crossing its arms before doing Draco Meteor.

-

As for which Bug type I'd like to see, I can only think of one obvious duo behind the likes of Scizor/Vespiquen that's due for some love.

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
Ah! Another Bug-Type idea occurs to me: Shedinja! Imagine this: it takes no damage from moves normally, but if the foe enters Burst Mode, it dies in one hit. It would have several moves that drain the foe's Resonance Gauge, and would focus on quick strikes.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Put me firmly in the crowd that thinks we're getting a Pokken Tournament final roster reveal on friday as part of the direct, could easily be done in a minute or two, we're firmly in the right time period as well... and it still feels to me like Blastoise is an obvious pick. well that and we still lack Bug, Rock and Normal types(Tyrantum/Tyranitar, Scyther/Scizor/Genesect, and Persian/Lolpunny could be cool)

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Put me firmly in the crowd that thinks we're getting a Pokken Tournament final roster reveal on friday as part of the direct, could easily be done in a minute or two, we're firmly in the right time period as well... and it still feels to me like Blastoise is an obvious pick. well that and we still lack Bug, Rock and Normal types(Tyrantum/Tyranitar, Scyther/Scizor/Genesect, and Persian/Lolpunny could be cool)
Knock on wood for me please.

I certainly hope they do but I don't want to get my hopes up in case it doesn't happen. I'm honestly in no rush for friday.

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
Well, even if no further characters are revealed, we still have an interesting roster to look forward to. 16 unique characters is actually pretty impressive for the first entry in a fighting series. Hopefully, Pokken will become a Nintendo mainstay like Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom