• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Fighters: It's an actual thing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylexv

Smash Master
New Assists!

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
What they do:
Cubone uses Bonemerang which is a quick long range attack that hits multiple times and brings opponents to you.
Diglett uses Dig which makes it easy to land combos when the opponent has been hit.

Magneton uses Tri Attack which aims upward. It lowers opponents' Speed & Attack and is good against jumping opponents.
Quagsire uses Mud Bomb. It is effective on players on the ground and damages even if guarded against.

Espeon uses Morning Sun which removes status conditions as well as healing Hit Points. The less time on the clock, the more it raises.
Umbreon uses Snarl which sucks up the opponent's Resonance Gauge and prevents them being able to land critical hits
and you didn't need to spoil it, also a look at some trainers
So that's 4 Eevees as assists now(Eevee, Sylveon, Umbreon, and Espeon), That means odd of a playable one aren't completely horrible with 5 left, well who's most popular out of Vapreon, Jolteon, Leafeon, Glaceon and Flareon? Or would bring the most to the table? Either way the other 5 are quite likely to be in game as well. Betting on some more playables being revealed next week, still no updates to the site, I'd say we're about due in for a dedicated direct as well. or one split with Star Fox.
Needless to say I'm still hoping for a playable Eeveelution, we could use another quadruped, They are popular enough, and Pikachu shows size isn't a matter. Question is which of the 5 would bring the most to the table? I'm asking btw

kylexv

Smash Master
What they do:

and you didn't need to spoil it, also a look at some trainers

So that's 4 Eevees as assists now(Eevee, Sylveon, Umbreon, and Espeon), That means odd of a playable one aren't completely horrible with 5 left, well who's most popular out of Vapreon, Jolteon, Leafeon, Glaceon and Flareon? Or would bring the most to the table? Either way the other 5 are quite likely to be in game as well. Betting on some more playables being revealed next week, still no updates to the site, I'd say we're about due in for a dedicated direct as well. or one split with Star Fox.
Needless to say I'm still hoping for a playable Eeveelution, we could use another quadruped, They are popular enough, and Pikachu shows size isn't a matter. Question is which of the 5 would bring the most to the table? I'm asking btw
Vaporeon. Just look at it in Super Smash Land. It screams "unique".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Braixen trainer looks uncannily similar to the main character from my brother's webcomic, Once Stung.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Remember, same was said of Smash.
Yeah that makes me think they are testing the waters. Trying to see how well the game is recieved before making a solid decision on DLC.

Which is completely reasonable and makes perfect sense with Nintendo's history of playing things safe.

I guess we will find out soon enough. (PLEEEEAAAASE LET THIS GAME BE GOOD!)

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Yeah that makes me think they are testing the waters. Trying to see how well the game is recieved before making a solid decision on DLC.

Which is completely reasonable and makes perfect sense with Nintendo's history of playing things safe.
Agreed. If it's anything like how Sakurai handled it with Smash, they're working on polishing the base game as much as they can, and then they'll start talking DLC.

Last edited:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Listen up everyone. This issue about DLC is once again going to be a hit and miss scenario. I lost Smash bros with DLC, ands I beleive that if Nintendo and Bandai add any DLC, I guarentee that there will be disappointments. This is just my own personal opinion, and I mean it seriously. Beleive me when I say this. I know that I am a pest who keeps telling the Pokken community that my character should have won, but he didn't, and know I have moved on. I'm just being reasonable when I say this, but Don't expect DLC to come out for a while. It;s ultimately up to Nintendo if they would like to add any other Pokemon to the mix of fighters that are listed. I'll post back here later this week if you guys have questions for me. Until then, Peace out.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Tons of information came out today! Video of Braxien, Garchomp, every known character's Burst Attack, A NEW AMAZING STAGE + 2 cool-looking new stages, single player mode video, customization info, full number of support Pokémon (30) and stages (19!). SO MUCH, and we still have a lot left to discover.

http://imgur.com/a/pctY0

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Tons of information came out today! Video of Braxien, Garchomp, every known character's Burst Attack, A NEW AMAZING STAGE + 2 cool-looking new stages, single player mode video, customization info, full number of support Pokémon (30) and stages (19!). SO MUCH, and we still have a lot left to discover.

Something interesting about that imgur link:

There are locks over spots where unrevealed supports and stages will go. It seems as if they're letting us know of a finite number of them already.

They did not do the same for characters. Gives us reason to think they don't want us to know yet now many to expect. At the very least, it gives us reason to think there'll be more than 20.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Ok, so base console game has 19 Stages(pretty darned good for a new series), and that's a good thing, it's awesome if we have over 20, current select has room for 21, but I still think 28 or an even 30 is quite possible. question is are they unlockables in some cases, like dark mewtwo, or just waiting to reveal them... personally I'd love a mix of both

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I wonder why regular Mewtwo isn't in a slot.
I think he's harder to unlock. The only video footage we have of Mewtwo is the YouTube channel that did the Burst Attack video. I posted it above.

If you watch, you'll see Mewtwo using Psydisaster! It looks amazing and does over 100 hits.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
You know, if we do have the final 4 as secret characters, wouldn't it be sick if one was team Rocket's Meowth?(or Persian, but I just don't mind Persian)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Something interesting about that imgur link:

There are locks over spots where unrevealed supports and stages will go. It seems as if they're letting us know of a finite number of them already.

They did not do the same for characters. Gives us reason to think they don't want us to know yet now many to expect. At the very least, it gives us reason to think there'll be more than 20.
That's an interesting point...The playable characters are the main selling point of the game, and as it stands now just 4 more fighters does seem a rather small number considering the 700+ pokemon out there...There's no reason for the devs to flat-out reveal how many pokemon are left before release, and it is also possible they may not even reveal them all and just let us find out ourselves upon release...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
There's footage of regular Mewtwo's place in the roster.

Around 8:25

Unlike Shadow Mewtwo, who is Technical, regular Mewtwo is considered Standard

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looks like we got a roster of 16 characters. What we can deduce is

* Heavy focus on favourites of older fans from previous gens
* Japanese popularity counts A LOT. (Gengar, Chandelure ect)
* Pikachu isn't allowed to be a different color.
* Mewtwo and Pikachu STILL hog the spotlight. (It's almost like if Smash 64 had Dr Mario and Young Link)
* At least one Pokemon per gen.
* Zoroark really was dumped by the Pokemon company harder than [colorful metaphor involving digestive system]

The only absence that's really baffling me is Greninja.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

* Mewtwo and Pikachu STILL hog the spotlight. (It's almost like if Smash 64 had Dr Mario and Young Link)
* Zoroark really was dumped by the Pokemon company harder than [colorful metaphor involving digestive system]

I think it's because Greninja's already in Smash; if you notice, the only 'Mons playable in both Pokken and Smash are :4mewtwo:,:4pikachu: and :4charizard:; the three most popular 'mons bar none. There's also :4lucario:, but he's not quite to the same level as those three yet.

And honestly, out of the Kalos Dex, I'm thinking that it's mainly Tyrantrum, Greninja, Aegislash and maybe Sylveon that would be considered the "prime" canidates.

Tyrantrum because of how insanely popular he is; one of the most popular Kalos mons, from what I've been able to scout for, especially in the West (not too sure for Japan, but I imagine he's pretty popular there, as well; Japan is in love with dinosaurs, culturally speaking). Greninja seems like the obvious choice, but he's already in Smash, which may hinder him slightly. Aegislash is certainly unique in concept, but it's possible they may just skip over him or make him an assist. And Sylveon is an Eeveeloution (ie: the most popular evolutionary line ever) and a Fairy-type, so it's quite possible it could be added to Pokken.

But really, I'm expecting either Tyrantrum or a curveball.

Mewtwo and Pikachu are two of the most iconic Pokemon of all time, so clones of them is an easy way to pad out the roster. Zoroark is kind of a hard one to say, as it was very popular...but then again, so were 'Mons like Alakazam and Donphan, and look how often those get love nowadays. :p

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909

This is cool in all, but I still am very dissapointed by the character selection. Not what I wanted at all, and I lost all of my support Pokemon as playable characters. NPC. I do however like the fact that there is at least one Dragon-type Pokemon fighter, although Garchomp is my least favorite Dragon-type Pokemon.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I hope this isn't the final roster....

The character selection screen looks a few slots empty to me.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Apparently according to GameXplain's interview, there was a lot of demand for Pachirisu as a fighter in light of the VGC competition. If only...

Hoping this game plays at good as it looks, at any rate; I'm super excited.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Apparently according to GameXplain's interview, there was a lot of demand for Pachirisu as a fighter in light of the VGC competition. If only...

Also, Absol is officially confirmed to NOT be in the game, as per that same video.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace

I hope this isn't the final roster....

The character selection screen looks a few slots empty to me.

If this was the final roster, then they would have said so in the interview, all they did was deconfirm 2 fighters. In the PREVIEW version there's 16, and they have restrictions. again, there could be time locks or a day one update.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The sooner people accept that it is what it is, the sooner people can start getting over it.

I think the roster is fantastic, even if this is all we get. Anything from here on just sweetens the deal.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If this is the final (free) roster I'll be content. Not amazed, but as long as it's balanced I'll buy it.

I'm kinda hesitant on buying the game though. Not because of the gameplay or roster, but because I don't want to get it and then have another come out a year later on NX or something. But then if I don't then we might not get a sequel...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I will be a little disappointed with a 16 character roster, I'm not gonna lie...that's a lot of potential pokemon left out due to a small roster size...and no Scizor:212: ;_;

20 characters is fine to me, that give us 4 more potentially interesting characters to come before the game's release (as well as still giving us something to look forward to while we wait), but having 16 with the two Mewtwo's sticking out the sides just leaves a lot to be desired...What I think is going on is that the remaining spots are for the unlockable pokemon, since both Mewtwo's seem to be the only unlockable characters thus far...in a similar fashion to Smash all the unlockable characters were revealed last and it could be a 'click spoiler to view unlockable content' sort of thing...Even for a small roster only two unlockable characters (both of which are kinda the same character) seems rather curious to me...

If we do get four more pokes I'm still gonna lean towards; Scizor, Tyranitar, Toxicroak, and Lopunny as it would round out the roster nicely IMO...but we'll see...

I can't complain however if this is all we get; We got a pretty damn awesome dragon type in Garchomp in my opinion, one of my favourite starters and personal favourite grass type in Sceptile, and of course the best, most badass pokemon ever created!

I have to be honest, I probably wouldn't even buy the game if Weavile didn't make it...especially with such a small roster...I literally had no interest in the game until he was revealed, so that says a lot...

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
It feels...incomplete, in a way. Even without regarding the fact that the CSS has a fully bordered design that feels like it's meant to be filled in and yet isn't, the roster as is feels...off. I think there might be a chance of them pulling a Splatoon and slowly adding four or more characters in the new few months as free additions like how they added four so far to the arcade version. For now, though, all we can do is wait and wonder.

It also really sucks to hear Absol missed the initial cut...but being namedropped as a character they heavily considered and yet wasn't relegated to a support role is a pretty big deal. If DLC does happen--and let's be honest, it probably will once base game development is done--one might consider Absol a frontrunner.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Also something curious I just noticed, I was watching this video

and noticed something on the main mode select screen, so I decided to check it against the main pokken site http://www.pokkentournament.com/en-us/game-modes/

And here's the pic

(the imposed image is the actual in-game screen obviously)

There are four more mode lines than shown on the website, which implicates even more modes that have not been revealed and are under preview restrictions. There could be a lot more to this game than has been revealed so far. Since the site didn't have them there means there is some purpose behind them

Attachments

Last edited:
So no more characters?

I'm little disappointed that we got only 16 characters, and both Pikachu and Mewtwo got two slots (I'd get it if we had a bigger roster, but when we have less than 20 characters, giving the same character two slots isn't right).

However, I'm still quite satisfied: Gengar and Garchomp are in, after all.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Also something curious I just noticed, I was watching this video

and noticed something on the main mode select screen, so I decided to check it against the main pokken site http://www.pokkentournament.com/en-us/game-modes/

And here's the pic

(the imposed image is the actual in-game screen obviously)

There are four more mode lines than shown on the website, which implicates even more modes that have not been revealed and are under preview restrictions. There could be a lot more to this game than has been revealed so far. Since the site didn't have them there means there is some purpose behind them
Those extra lines lead off to plot-related boss battles. The one above Single Battle leads to the Final Boss.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Those extra lines lead off to plot-related boss battles. The one above Single Battle leads to the Final Boss.
Actually, I just checked out this video
And that only accounts for the lines coming from single battle, not the one from practice nor the one from ferrum league itself

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Actually, I just checked out this video
And that only accounts for the lines coming from single battle, not the one from practice nor the one from ferrum league itself
And what else could they be? They go away after you use them.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So you know how TPC handles its main Pokémon tournaments very differently than the competitive communities? I wonder how it'll differ for Pokkén?

Hopefully not in a way that throws in too much of a random factor or gives certain characters too much of an undue advantage...

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
So you know how TPC handles its main Pokémon tournaments very differently than the competitive communities? I wonder how it'll differ for Pokkén?

Hopefully not in a way that throws in too much of a random factor or gives certain characters too much of an undue advantage...
How would such advantages even come about in the first place? I honestly don't know what you're saying, here.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
How would such advantages even come about in the first place? I honestly don't know what you're saying, here.
Like, for example. We know Pokkén stages have various different dimensions, correct? Because of that, different characters will prefer different stage sizes. The competitive community will probably set up an elaborate stage striking and counterpicking process to utilize them in a fair way. But if, say, the official PWT competitions pick stages randomly, that could give an advantage to whoever happens to get lucky.

Hopefully, such a situation doesn't end up happening.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Like, for example. We know Pokkén stages have various different dimensions, correct? Because of that, different characters will prefer different stage sizes. The competitive community will probably set up an elaborate stage striking and counterpicking process to utilize them in a far way. But if, say, the official PWT competitions pick stages randomly, that could give an advantage to whoever happens to get lucky.

Hopefully, such a situation doesn't end up happening.
Stages kinda seem insignificant... IDK, seems about as big a deal as the differences between Omegas.

Besides maybe banning/restricting a support important for a certain Pokemon there's not a lot they can do to screw it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom