• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Fighters: It's an actual thing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Just to keep in mind, Suicune, Lucario and regular Pikachu are also Standard types. All of which have excellent projectile games.
Wait, I thought Pikachu and Weavile are Speed characters? Is there some misinformation going around?

On a side note, kind of cool how they're classifying characters the same way Mario Tennis does, lol. Wonder if we'll see a Tricky character any time soon?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Wait, I thought Pikachu and Weavile are Speed characters? Is there some misinformation going around?

On a side note, kind of cool how they're classifying characters the same way Mario Tennis does, lol. Wonder if we'll see a Tricky character any time soon?
Pike Libre is a Speed type, but regular Pika isn't. It's kind of an odd choice.

Technique characters are kind of "tricky" I guess... we don't have enough of them in the game to really establish a concrete pattern.

Standard: Pikachu, Lucario, Suicune, Blaziken, Braxien

Speed: Pika Libre, Weavile, Sceptile

Power: Machamp, Charizard, Garchomp, Chandelure

Technique: Gardevoir, Gengar

Unknown: Shadow Mewtwo, Mewtwo

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Unless games have hard coded class systems splitting up characters into groups like standard and speedy isn't gonna be gospel. Look at TF2, it's got the 9 classes in 3 groups of offence, defence and support but Engineer is classed as defence when more aguably is a support and Demo is defence based on some long for gotten stage of development when stickies where defensive traps and not mid range nukes.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just don't get how Chandelure could be power.

Is there gameplay footage yet?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I just don't get how Chandelure could be power.

Is there gameplay footage yet?
Possibly during the event going on in Japan very soon. Might be a couple hours from now, or even 12+ hours from now. Just depends on how they handle it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Well Chandelure does have pretty high Special Attack. :p
.....I play on Smogon. I know what it has.

When I think of Heavy fighters I think powerful close ranged fighters. Chandalure would be wierd like that.

I'll wait for gameplay before I judge.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
.....I play on Smogon. I know what it has.

When I think of Heavy fighters I think powerful close ranged fighters. Chandalure would be wierd like that.

I'll wait for gameplay before I judge.
Exactly why I think Chandelure being Power is cool. The weirder the better tbh

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
For what it's worth, Power doesn't necessarily have to mean Tank. We know Chandelure is fully capable of hitting hard in the main series; we're just not used to the idea of a powerhouse character who focuses on ranged attacks.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Yeah thats what Im confused about. I want to know how Chandulare differs from the other Power types and Technic types.

What exactly makes it "Power"?

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Hmm. No word on any video yet?

On the official site (same link I posted last page), I saw a picture of Chandelure using Will-o-Wisp (projectile) and Overheat. Overheat seems to create a firey ring around Chandelure, so it's kinda close-range. Makes sense. Overheat is a contact move in Pokemon.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Yeah thats what Im confused about. I want to know how Chandulare differs from the other Power types and Technic types.

What exactly makes it "Power"?
Physical moves?

It would kinda make sense for characters like Machamp and Charziard

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Physical moves?

It would kinda make sense for characters like Machamp and Charziard
Overheat is a close-range special move. There is no rule that Chandelure will mainly use close-range moves, though.

We've also seen pictures of Smog and Will-o-Wisp as projectiles. Even Machamp has good projectiles, you know.

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Chandelure's Power typing makes sense now. Just because it isn't close range, doesn't mean it's not Power. It still moves very slowly and hits incredibly hard, just at a distance instead. Gengar and Gardevoir are most likely Technique because of just how difficult and quirky they are to play. Gengar changes entirely when he goes into Burst Mode, and Gardevoir has weird special cancels going on to lay on projectile pressure.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Dark Mewtwo vs Chandelure gameplay!

Overheat does a TON of damage. Chandelure in general hits very hard.

Dark Mewtwo has really low HP when not a boss: only a bit over 200!

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Dark Mewtwo vs Chandelure gameplay!

Overheat does a TON of damage. Chandelure in general hits very hard.
Slower movement but powerful attacks. It's just strange seeing so many be projectiles!

Dark Mewtwo has really low HP when not a boss: only a bit over 200!
That's 480 HP, actually. Still the lowest we've seen so far, but not by a whole lot. Will that properly balance him, or will he still be too powerful to keep unbanned?

Also worth noting that Chandelure only has 510 HP. Not quite what you'd expect from a Power character!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Chandelure barely qualifies as a power character, really.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Shadow Mewtwo wasn't dealing out much damage either so I doubt he will be banned. People seem to think they will keep him the same as his boss version which makes me wonder if they have EVER played a fighting game before other than Smash.

Anyway, Chandelure looks neat. A close ranged projectile fighter with some decent close quarters combat. Interesting.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Awwww Chandelure is so adorable in this game! ^-^
And looks to be super powerful! I think she'll be my main, unless they announce someone cooler (which I doubt)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Chandelure uses minimize to dodge attacks...interesting...

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Has it been confirmed if regular Mewtwo has his X or Y form yet?
He has his X form...

I don't know if they'll include his Y form as well, but it's likely WYSIWYG

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Slower movement but powerful attacks. It's just strange seeing so many be projectiles!

That's 480 HP, actually. Still the lowest we've seen so far, but not by a whole lot. Will that properly balance him, or will he still be too powerful to keep unbanned?

Also worth noting that Chandelure only has 510 HP. Not quite what you'd expect from a Power character!
If anything, Shadow Mewtwo looks far too weak. His grabs are the weakest we've seen so far, just as a comparison. His moves also look slow, but that could just be the player controlling him not being very good.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
This is kind of random, but I wanted to share this. These are the best and most hype Gardevoir matches I've ever seen. This totally changed my mind on this character's viability!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I caught up with all the news.

Chandelure's moveset looks pretty entertaining to watch, from all of its ghostly flame and Psybeam attacks to the use of Minimize to dodge opponents. Perhaps what surprised me the most about it was its cute voice and demeanor. When I imagined Chandelure in Pokken, I thought it would have a more ghostly and ominous voice that would sound similar to the Black Mage's voice in Mario Sports Mix. That aside though, I'm still looking forward to picking up Chandelure as one of my mains along with Sceptile at the moment.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Pokkén's interpretation of Chandelure is so great, makes it even more deadly yet lovable. The did a good job with the moveset and really like the way it moves in general, especially the spin attacks. I never would've thought I'd see Chandelure in a fighting game so this is really cool. That makes 16 playable characters. I wonder what the cap will be and whether or not there will be DLC characters after launch. I really hope at least one of the Hitmon trio gets in, maybe Hitmonchan to represent the 'boxer' of the game. I'm still hoping for Lopunny as well but I doubt it.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Eh, as cute as Chandelure sounds, I'd still rather their english voices....

I want my localised Weavile! (and Scizor if he gets added)

Not saying they won't get localised voices, mind...

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Everytime someone suggest Lopunny, it makes me want her more as she would be a great choice for Pokken

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Everytime someone suggest Lopunny, it makes me want her more as she would be a great choice for Pokken
When Mega Lopunny does the "fwip my ear behind me" thing... too cute! It moves so gracefully.

Off-topic, but I'm so grateful they gave us Normal-type lovers more than just Kangaskhan to build our teams around, since many people ban Mega Kanga.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I can see Lopunny being pretty plausible, to be honest. Although I'm personally holding out hope for Absol...

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Not sure if this Pokemon was deconfirmed as of late, but what do you guys think of Vigoroth?

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Zangoose, Vigoroth and :052: seem like the best fit for a new claw based fighter. It's pretty obvious which one i would want.
For support Pokemon i think :202: and
would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom