• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Fighters: It's an actual thing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
This... is a thing. Yup. Not sure if it's a positive or negative thing, but it's a thing.
Either it'll be a good show to get more people interested in the new game on the block or it'll destroy all hype the game may have had.

Luckily I got Smash to fall back on either way.:151:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Woops. Forgot the release ain't too far away. Well cool.

Glad the game isn't getting trashed like it was after the "Removal from Japanese Arcade" fiasco.
You mean the artificial clickbait fiasco that got turned into a mountain by the easily excitable western press? A Single arcade in all of Japan removed it, while in the entirety of Japan it is in fact currently the THIRD most popular arcade fighting game If I remember correctly

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
You mean the artificial clickbait fiasco that got turned into a mountain by the easily excitable western press? A Single arcade in all of Japan removed it, while in the entirety of Japan it is in fact currently the THIRD most popular arcade fighting game If I remember correctly
Exactly. Wasn't a problem for me because I have half a brain and know bull**** when I see it. For some others or those who simply don't do research it did throw a hammer at thier hype or hope in this game.

Now it seems that it wasn't as big a deal to the majority and now the game has a real chance of being noticed by a large crowd beyond mostly pokemon fans.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Actually, Pokken is a really clever move, since a key principle of the way the designed the game is to appeal and be good for both newcomers and long term fighters. The idea is for it to be essentially a gateway drug, and if it works right it could bring a lot of new talent to EVO, they come for Pokken, but then stay to join the extended fighting community

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Actually, Pokken is a really clever move, since a key principle of the way the designed the game is to appeal and be good for both newcomers and long term fighters. The idea is for it to be essentially a gateway drug, and if it works right it could bring a lot of new talent to EVO, they come for Pokken, but then stay to join the extended fighting community
Yeah I'm a fan of the decision too. I hope it works out that way.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
It's hilarious how incredibly blown out of proportion that whole arcade ordeal was. People gotta look into the factors at play here, and if a single dollar nets you roughly 45 or so minutes of gameplay, then yeah, they're not gonna gain a lot of income out of that now. :p

But yo, Pokken Tournament at EVO, we about to see the appearance again of Justin Wong's Weavile?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
It's hilarious how incredibly blown out of proportion that whole arcade ordeal was. People gotta look into the factors at play here, and if a single dollar nets you roughly 45 or so minutes of gameplay, then yeah, they're not gonna gain a lot of income out of that now. :p

But yo, Pokken Tournament at EVO, we about to see the appearance again of Justin Wong's Weavile?
I can't wait for RIP to give him what for again. :p

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hope nothing really degenerate shows up at EVO, or at least people actually get the game and can deal with your basic spam.

Actually I've been wondering... I know it's popular of course, but it's Pokemon. Have we had any fighting game enthusiasts mess around with it long enough to say if it's any fun to play competitively? If not for being developed by the Tekken team I'd say it'd probably be more of a cheap casual game like PSASBR.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hope nothing really degenerate shows up at EVO, or at least people actually get the game and can deal with your basic spam.

Actually I've been wondering... I know it's popular of course, but it's Pokemon. Have we had any fighting game enthusiasts mess around with it long enough to say if it's any fun to play competitively? If not for being developed by the Tekken team I'd say it'd probably be more of a cheap casual game like PSASBR.
Funny thing is that PSASBR had a lot of "real fighting game" stuff like consistent combos and the like, only to be undone by it's system meaning only character that could combo into the kill move were viable.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Also people forget, there already WAS a competitive Pokken Tourney last year
while main gameplay is slightly simplified, it does have a good potential complexity with assists mixing up the gameplay of any character

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Funny thing is that PSASBR had a lot of "real fighting game" stuff like consistent combos and the like, only to be undone by it's system meaning only character that could combo into the kill move were viable.
Only takes one thing to ruin a fighting game... Like I said, I expect better of the Tekken team.

Also people forget, there already WAS a competitive Pokken Tourney last year
while main gameplay is slightly simplified, it does have a good potential complexity with assists mixing up the gameplay of any character
That's a little different. They gave a few guys like a day to mess around and then threw 'em in a tournament.

The assists are something I'm worried about, actually. There's been a lot of events akin to Pokemon distributions that gave out assists... Well, I'm hoping it doesn't turn out like the customs fiasco in SSB4.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Woops. Forgot the release ain't too far away. Well cool.

Glad the game isn't getting trashed like it was after the "Removal from Japanese Arcade" fiasco.
Supposedly, it was only removed from one arcade, which got over-reported.

Edit: I've heard that Gengar has an infinite combo in the arcade. Can anyone confirm this? If it's true, I hope the console version patches that.

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Supposedly, it was only removed from one arcade, which got over-reported.

Edit: I've heard that Gengar has an infinite combo in the arcade. Can anyone confirm this? If it's true, I hope the console version patches that.
He had something like that for a little bit. Don't remember exactly what it was but it's gone now.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
He had something like that for a little bit. Don't remember exactly what it was but it's gone now.
Glad to hear it! Since the game isn't out internationally yet, sometimes this outdated info gets circulated. That's what you get when 90% of your info is third-hand.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I bet its Suicune.
Well, clearly.

Jokes aside, I'm willing to bet tier lists will be skewed as hell for the first couple months. The fighting style and game mechanics will be new to a lot of us, and so the more straightforward characters will be rated high and the more defensive or complicated ones assumed to be bad. It'll take some time before everyone wises up and we can start figuring out who really is high or top tier.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Well, clearly.

Jokes aside, I'm willing to bet tier lists will be skewed as hell for the first couple months. The fighting style and game mechanics will be new to a lot of us, and so the more straightforward characters will be rated high and the more defensive or complicated ones assumed to be bad. It'll take some time before everyone wises up and we can start figuring out who really is high or top tier.
Agreed.

Right now, Power characters seem to be unpopular. Kinda like Smash, really, with heavyweights. I'm hoping that changes. I find it exciting to see characters like Machamp get in and deal like 100 damage in one Close Combat.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Just from my current opinions, the tiers look something like:

Top: Gengar, Weavile
Middle: Everyone else who even knows
Bottom: Gardevoir

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's probably best not to even think about tiers...since....y'know, we don't even know the entire roster yet...

Weavile Still Da Best Dough!!:p

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
To be fair, it might not be that Weavile is top tier so much that Justin Wong is top tier, guys.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Well, clearly.

That and Assists have the promise to shake things up to, because the right mix can turn a weaker character into a stronger one by exploiting the enemies weaknesses

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Something I haven't had a clear answer on: Can you select ANY pair of assists? Or it is a specific set per character?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Something I haven't had a clear answer on: Can you select ANY pair of assists? Or it is a specific set per character?
Huh. You know, I don't know. I never payed enough attention, or saw when Assist pairs were selected.

I'm pretty sure since everyone picked Frogadier at the invitational, that anyone can use any Assist, though.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I never saw any of the assists be specifically assigned to any of the characters, so I assume that anyone can pick them...it seems a bit restricting otherwise...

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Aninymous made a good point. Forgot about everyone using frogadier at the tournament somehow.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
The way assists work, from what I've seen, is you can choose a set of 2 assist pokes when you choose your fighter, and then you can choose between those two during that match.

Edit: Also, the assist pokemon pairs are pre-set. So like, can choose to use Pachirisu and Magikarp, or Sylveon and Croagunk, but not Sylveon and Magikarp, or vice versa.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's the same in every fighting game as soon as a new character is released they spend a week of being the best in the game until their gimmick is countered and they plummet to mid tier if they're lucky.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It's the same in every fighting game as soon as a new character is released they spend a week of being the best in the game until their gimmick is countered and they plummet to mid tier if they're lucky.
Unless they turn out to be different than what people were expecting, at which point they start low and then work their way back up.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Quite frankly, I'm a tad bit Dissappointed by the random assortment of characters I'm seeing here. None of my favorite characters got to be fighters, such a shame. And to add on to that, The character selection focuses on the more POPULAR characters used from generation 1, 2, etc... I wish that the character selection involved some LESS popular characters as fighters, such as Arcanine, or maybe even Dragonite as a main fighter. It's just my opinion, and I know that I'll never be able to get what I want.
Oh well. I put up a valiant effort trying to gain my favorite characters back into the spotlight, and I failed. This game will forever mock me.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Quite frankly, I'm a tad bit Dissappointed by the random assortment of characters I'm seeing here. None of my favorite characters got to be fighters, such a shame. And to add on to that, The character selection focuses on the more POPULAR characters used from generation 1, 2, etc... I wish that the character selection involved some LESS popular characters as fighters, such as Arcanine, or maybe even Dragonite as a main fighter. It's just my opinion, and I know that I'll never be able to get what I want.
Oh well. I put up a valiant effort trying to gain my favorite characters back into the spotlight, and I failed. This game will forever mock me.
Dragonite and Arcanine are popular and they likely aren't done announcing fighters yet.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Development is probably starting to come to a close though. I find it very hard to believe "new" characters are being made from scratch still, but rather polishing up whatever other new characters they haven't announced yet and tweaking the rest of the existing cast. Probably just a matter of who they have yet to finish/come close to finishing to showcase.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
BoltDragon's avatar is of the Dragonite assist...
I didn't say Dragonite still had a chance. I said they weren't done announcing characters. So there is still a chance one of his favorites will get it. Unless all he likes is Dragonite in which case tough luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom