• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Fighters: It's an actual thing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As I said previously in other posts...it comes down to two major factors...

Is said pokemon popular? Would said pokemon be an interesting addition to the roster?

That's pretty much all we need to know...when it comes to popularity it seems that not only are they picking old favourites like Machamp for example, but they are also looking into current trends, like Braixen....Blastoise, an old favourite...Greninja, current trend...Both still have something unique to offer despite having some similarities to current fighters...similar to Pikachu Libre and her similarity with Pikachu...

Heck fighting games in general are notorious for having clone characters so it wouldn't be a stretch to see some other fan-favourites be shoe-horned in because of their perceived similarity to existing fighters...as Delzethin Delzethin pointed out in his video Shadow Mewtwo appears to pull a Necrid and use attacks from other fighters...

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
as Delzethin Delzethin pointed out in his video Shadow Mewtwo appears to pull a Necrid and use attacks from other fighters...
About this, actually, Shadow Mewtwo's dual-sword attacks are not taken from Sceptile. They're actually taken directly from Soul Calibur's Algol, similar to how some(read: a lot) of Pikachu's moves are taken from Tekken's mishima characters.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
If anyone at all, I think Empoleon would be a very cool water-type. He could slash stuff with his steel fins and use other steel-type moves in tandem with water-type moves. He could also be pretty agile by sliding around on his belly as opposed to Suicune's lack of movement.
If you've ever seen Lagombi in Monster Hunter, that's sort of what I'd expect Empoleon's belly slides to function like.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Blastoise: Slow Defensive Tank

Suicune: Projectile User Based on Spacing

Greninja: Fast Water Base Ninja

Anyone saying they'd be too similar has the imagination of a spork.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Blastoise: Slow Defensive Tank

Suicune: Projectile User Based on Spacing

Greninja: Fast Water Base Ninja

Anyone saying they'd be too similar has the imagination of a spork.
Ok. Removing Greninja from the equation, Blastoise would be tank sure but wouldn't it be using its water cannons as its primary form of attacking? I can't imagine a Blastiose walking up to the enemy and performing close ranged combat the way Charizard can.

Sure he could have Skull-Bash as some way to close distance or Rapid Spin to do some Bowser **** but other than that what? He would be another water type ranged character just like Suicune which was the above posters arguments. Blastoise's Mega further proves the point because it would simply become a monster using ranged Aura-sphere, Water Pulse, Dark Pulse, and.....exactly zero close ranged moves come to mind.

Greninja isn't in the same boat. He is fast and would have a combat style closer to Blaziken or Weavile rather than Suicune.

Not trying to be hostile but the "imagination of a spork" comment bothers me. Especially when you put no detail into how Blastiose would differentiate from Suicune in battle besides "one is slow and bulky" and "one is based on projectiles and spacing" as if a character couldn't be both.

I could be wrong and feel free to give examples of how Blastiose could be a close-ranged fighter (or hell mixed would be cool) that really sets it apart from being a Suicune clone. (No I wouldn't call it that but you know people would.) By all means prove my imagination is comparable to a sporks.

And to set the record straight I like Blastoise as much as the next guy and I could care less if Greninja is in (I don't like Greninja.) I do think he has a much higher chance then Blastiose though for the reasons already mentioned.

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Haven't been following the status of the Wii U port, but I heard in an offhanded twitch comment that the framerate's been halved to 30 FPS. Is this already confirmed to be true? I suppose it makes sense if the arcade version uses the same PS4-based system as Tekken 7, which I suspected it did.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Haven't been following the status of the Wii U port, but I heard in an offhanded twitch comment that the framerate's been halved to 30 FPS. Is this already confirmed to be true? I suppose it makes sense if the arcade version uses the same PS4-based system as Tekken 7, which I suspected it did.
From what I understand that only applies to online play. Offline and LAN are 60.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Only during Local multiplayer. Anytime else it's 60 fps.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The framerate gets cut in half during local, single-system multiplayer. You can connect two Wii Us to each other using LAN cables, and multiplayer that way is still 60 FPS.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Ok. Removing Greninja from the equation, Blastoise would be tank sure but wouldn't it be using its water cannons as its primary form of attacking? I can't imagine a Blastiose walking up to the enemy and performing close ranged combat the way Charizard can.

Sure he could have Skull-Bash as some way to close distance or Rapid Spin to do some Bowser **** but other than that what? He would be another water type ranged character just like Suicune which was the above posters arguments. Blastoise's Mega further proves the point because it would simply become a monster using ranged Aura-sphere, Water Pulse, Dark Pulse, and.....exactly zero close ranged moves come to mind.

Greninja isn't in the same boat. He is fast and would have a combat style closer to Blaziken or Weavile rather than Suicune.

Not trying to be hostile but the "imagination of a spork" comment bothers me. Especially when you put no detail into how Blastiose would differentiate from Suicune in battle besides "one is slow and bulky" and "one is based on projectiles and spacing" as if a character couldn't be both.

I could be wrong and feel free to give examples of how Blastiose could be a close-ranged fighter (or hell mixed would be cool) that really sets it apart from being a Suicune clone. (No I wouldn't call it that but you know people would.) By all means prove my imagination is comparable to a sporks.

And to set the record straight I like Blastoise as much as the next guy and I could care less if Greninja is in (I don't like Greninja.) I do think he has a much higher chance then Blastiose though for the reasons already mentioned.
And here I thought Chandelure's addition would've opened people's minds a bit, but apparently not...

For the record...Bulky Hydro-cannon Turtle =/= Mystical Water Beast...I'm not sure what similarities they'd have other than being heavy ranged water attackers...

Unlike Suicune, Blastoise stands upright with arms and legs that are very much capable of punching and kicking, in addition to go with his Skull Bashes and Rapid Spins...and Blastoise can learn Bite as well so he could even use that as well...Suicune on the other hand in out there smacking people with it's ribbons in addition to it's range water and ice attacks...

Also consider that creative licenses can be made if the developers indeed do intend to add Blastoise to the line-up...Cuz from what I see so far there's a whole lot of stuff that the pokemon are doing in this game that aren't exactly...what we normally see in Pokemon games...I mean Chandelure doesn't normally go out on the field and pummel it's foes with it's...candle thingies...

Now I'm not saying that Blastoise would be picked over Greninja or vice versa...but I'm just saying that you shouldn't write off a pokemon for a few similarities to other pokemon...I mean I've seen some people compare Greninja's potential play style to that of Sceptile who exhibits some ninja like qualities...though I think that's just dumb...

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
The framerate gets cut in half during local, single-system multiplayer. You can connect two Wii Us to each other using LAN cables, and multiplayer that way is still 60 FPS.
I wasn't sure if it used splitscreen in local multi...so it's a natural consequence of that, like in Gundam Extreme VS. Pretty amazed if it's going to be the first Wii U game to support system linking, though I don't expect it'll get used much outside of conventions and tourney venues, especially since both systems will need a ethernet adapter (which Nintendo no longer makes).

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
And here I thought Chandelure's addition would've opened people's minds a bit, but apparently not...

For the record...Bulky Hydro-cannon Turtle =/= Mystical Water Beast...I'm not sure what similarities they'd have other than being heavy ranged water attackers...

Unlike Suicune, Blastoise stands upright with arms and legs that are very much capable of punching and kicking, in addition to go with his Skull Bashes and Rapid Spins...and Blastoise can learn Bite as well so he could even use that as well...Suicune on the other hand in out there smacking people with it's ribbons in addition to it's range water and ice attacks...

Also consider that creative licenses can be made if the developers indeed do intend to add Blastoise to the line-up...Cuz from what I see so far there's a whole lot of stuff that the pokemon are doing in this game that aren't exactly...what we normally see in Pokemon games...I mean Chandelure doesn't normally go out on the field and pummel it's foes with it's...candle thingies...

Now I'm not saying that Blastoise would be picked over Greninja or vice versa...but I'm just saying that you shouldn't write off a pokemon for a few similarities to other pokemon...I mean I've seen some people compare Greninja's potential play style to that of Sceptile who exhibits some ninja like qualities...though I think that's just dumb...
You missed my whole point. I loved Chandalure's reveal. It truly is incredible that the dev team got a creature like that to be playable in a fighting game.

I'm gonna start with this "Bulky Hydro-cannon Turtle =/= Mystical Water Beast" I'm not talking about designs at all! Obviously they are very different body type wise and design wise. I'm talking gameplay styles. Great, they both look different. Woopty doo dah. My point is that Blastoise is still a ranged attacker just like Suicune. They would most likely have VERY similar movesets if they were both in.

I'm not saying I don't want him in. I LIKE Blastoise. My reply to Swamp was that it is easy to see what people are saying with Blastoise being too similar to Suicune. I don't care at all myself. Heck, give us Blastoise and Greninja. Irrelevent to me as I got more than my money's worth.

"Blastoise can learn Bite" I mean, yeah ok. I don't see that being implemented but you got a point. So that makes it....2000 ranged attacks and, if we add tackle, 4 close ranged attacks. Super. (Heavily exaggerating obviously. Once again Blastoise is clearly not a close quarters fighter. Look at its body. It is a tiny armed turtle. It could punch sure but you'd have to be stupid close. Why do that when you can just use water pulse?)

I'm not writing anything off like I stated before. Swamp said that "Anyone who thinks these mons are similar has the imagination of a spork." My goal with the post was to state my disagreement and to show him what the arguments were. They can give us Zygarde Core at this point. They have proven that. Blastoise would still look comparable to Suicune in battle style. (Which some have a problem with. I don't.)

Greninja and Sceptile having a similar moveset is something I can see but not nearly to the same extent. First of all they are completely different types. They may have a few similar animations here and there but they could easily be done differently. Blastoise and Suicune on the other hand I can't see being so different.

I'm gonna finish with this. I have no doubt that if the dev team includes Blastoise in the final version they will do a **** good job with the character. They will likely blow my mind with the differences between him and Suicune. In fact, I hope they do. BUT in response to Swamp, the arguments are very valid and make alot of sense. Saying that even thinking that way makes them comparable to "sporks" in terms of imagination is incredible silly to say the least.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I wasn't sure if it used splitscreen in local multi...so it's a natural consequence of that, like in Gundam Extreme VS. Pretty amazed if it's going to be the first Wii U game to support system linking, though I don't expect it'll get used much outside of conventions and tourney venues, especially since both systems will need a ethernet adapter (which Nintendo no longer makes).
well technically it's assymetrical gameplay with one person on the gamepad other on the tv

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can't imagine a Blastiose walking up to the enemy and performing close ranged combat the way Charizard can.
Why not?

He's been shown to be able to do that multiple times?

He's not gonna be speedy. But he can be slow and deliberate, maybe have super armor. Throws his weight around. Tackles and body slams. Etc. We got a Pokemon with the weight of a truck. Use it to smash through foes.
Several attacks for Pokken are made up specifically for Pokken. Like Mishima Pikachu.

It's less about the canon moves and more about what one can do with the body type.

Greninja isn't in the same boat. He is fast and would have a combat style closer to Blaziken or Weavile rather than Suicune
I don't think type is as much of an issues as playstyle honestly.

Though Greninja can have one based on a speedy ninja.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Blastoise wasn't really designed with Pokken in mind... Having him punch, kick or bite would look really awkward in 3D. Unless you plan on having a fighting game character with two non-projectile moves I don't think it'll happen.

The comparison to Suicune most certainly applies. They're both large, slow water types with lacking CQC designs. Suicune features a lot more ice but that's pretty irrelevant. Comparing Greninja to Weavile works, but not nearly to the same degree. Heck, they could work Protean into Greninja somehow and make him some kind of stance change fighter.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Blastoise wasn't really designed with Pokken in mind... Having him punch, kick or bite would look really awkward in 3D. Unless you plan on having a fighting game character with two non-projectile moves I don't think it'll happen.

The comparison to Suicune most certainly applies. They're both large, slow water types with lacking CQC designs. Suicune features a lot more ice but that's pretty irrelevant. Comparing Greninja to Weavile works, but not nearly to the same degree. Heck, they could work Protean into Greninja somehow and make him some kind of stance change fighter.
Fat Bob is a thing in the tekken games
upload_2016-1-25_7-23-37.jpeg
Oversized fat characters are more than doable

Attachments

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Fat Bob is a thing in the tekken games
View attachment 93765
Oversized fat characters are more than doable
Fat Bob isn't wearing a giant turtle shell restricting his movement. Blastoise can't even bend his back... Punches and kicks aren't just arm or leg strength, they're complex whole body movements. If all Blastoise can do is flail his stubby arms around it would look pathetic and lazy.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
OK...so... regardless of Blastoise's viability as a fighter or not....(ignoring the fact that he has learned various punching attacks in the game's he's appeared in, so he is more than capable of cqc)

Other than the starters...what other Water types do people see have a decent chance of making the roster?

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
OK...so... regardless of Blastoise's viability as a fighter or not....(ignoring the fact that he has learned various punching attacks in the game's he's appeared in, so he is more than capable of cqc)

Other than the starters...what other Water types do people see have a decent chance of making the roster?
Azumarill
Ludicolo
Bibarel (Plz)
Vaporeon
Starmie
Simipour
Keldeo
Probably alot more but I'm not a water guy and I can't see floating fish mons regardless of Chandalure.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

The only two that I can really think of Keldeo and Volcanion. Along with Terrakion, I think Keldeo has the best shot of its trio making it into Pokken. It's moveset would most likely revolve around its horn and an attacking style fitting for horses. It could also change into its Resolute Form for its Burst Attack when it uses Secret Sword.

Volcanion is more of a longshot at the moment, but I could see Volcanion being added to promote the upcoming movie or Pokemon Z where it will most likely trigger a special event in those games. Much of its attacks would be a mix of special ranged Fire and Water attacks, along with Mist to make attacking harder for the opponent, and perhaps Steam Eruption for its Burst Attack.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

See, how the character looks and animates matters more then a couple lines of text. If they can't make him punch convincingly then he's finished.

Still don't get why people are hoping for Blastoise when Squirtle's more popular and wouldn't look dumb when attacking...

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
See, how the character looks and animates matters more then a couple lines of text. If they can't make him punch convincingly then he's finished.

Still don't get why people are hoping for Blastoise when Squirtle's more popular and wouldn't look dumb when attacking...
I'm sure if they could make a possessed Chandelier work as a fighter then the developers would have no problems making Blastoise work...

For the record, I actually couldn't really care less about Blastoise, if I'm being honest...If I had to choose another starter it would be either Typhlosion, Torterra or Greninja...other then that I'm not exactly reeling at his possible inclusion...but its one thing when you say he might be too similar to another fighter its another when you say 'he'd just look dumb so it won't work'....it just shows your lack of imagination...

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm sure if they could make a possessed Chandelier work as a fighter then the developers would have no problems making Blastoise work...

For the record, I actually couldn't really care less about Blastoise, if I'm being honest...If I had to choose another starter it would be either Typhlosion, Torterra or Greninja...other then that I'm not exactly reeling at his possible inclusion...but its one thing when you say he might be too similar to another fighter its another when you say 'he'd just look dumb so it won't work'....it just shows your lack of imagination...
HOW IS IT A LACK OF IMAGINATION.

EXPLAIN. IF YOU HOW SOME GREAT IDEA OF HOW BLASTOISE CAN PUNCH AND KICK WITH ITS BODY THAN PLEASE PLEASE SHARE.

"You have a lack of imagination" NO. YOU are ignoring the fact that Blastoise's body is simply not made for close combat. It has cannons on his back for a reason, FOR RANGED COMBAT.

This is so stupid to get annoyed about but the sheer ignorance of "you lack imagination" when saying a mon with cannons on its back and a shell that hinders its movement would use ranged combat.

Might as well add Diglett and it will use close range moves. "It learns sucker punch so if you don't think it can fight close range like other fighters you lack imagination! We got a chandalure as a fighter so naturally we can get a mole with no visible body to fight close ranged."

Lord. Yes we got a chandalere fighter. Great. Fantastic. Blastoise STILL cannot effectively do close quarters combat without looking stupid as hell. USE YOUR IMAGINATION. Imagine Blastoise throwing two punches back to back. One with its left arm and one with its right. If you are actually doing this, you will see that Blastoise has to be stupidly close to the opponenet AND to perfrom two punches the poor creature would have to pivot on its stubby legs to get the second punch off. It would look ridiculous. IF they implement Blastoise it WILL be a long ranged fighter. It would make exactly zero sense otherwise.

IT HAS CANNONS FOR A REASON.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Chandelure at least can use the same kind of CQC magic Zelda does, and his arms are flexible.

I mean, tuck your elbows in and try throwing a punch without bending your spine. That's all Blastoise has to work with... A pathetic hammer motion with maybe some footwork to help.

I mean, Dragonite was off the table because of apparent similarities to Zard. Not exactly a stretch to think Blastoise wouldn't be considered for reasons as superficial as that.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Everyone, settle down. Let's not start attack each other over differences in opinion. Debating is perfectly fine, but it's starting to escalate further than it should. Personally, I can't see a Blastoise viably performing too many punches and kicks (There's a reason you have to go out of your way to teach them to one in the games!) and I believe its bulk and naturally greater focus on ranged attacks would likely make it similar enough to Suicune in abilities and playstyle to second guess the chances of one getting into Pokkén. That said, I realize there are people who disagree.

Keldeo's the big one I'm looking at. A notable "modern" Water type who is pretty well liked and has unique abilities in the form of midrange disjointed blade attacks. I could see others getting a chance, although we'd be best off looking at ones that'd stand out compared to Suicune. Someone like Tentacruel, Ludicolo, Floatzel, Carracosta, Jellicent, or Barbaracle?

Yeah, lot to choose from. Makes it hard to narrow things down a lot of the time.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Alright then... I concede Blastoise is just an oversized tin can with Hydro-cannons unable to do anything other than just sit there and blast water all day and not do anything else...apparently this makes him too similar to Suicune...

Two Pikachus are acceptable but two ranged water types are apparantly blasphemous...

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
People miss the point way too often. Even after I explained it several times.

I'm not taking anything personally I just think when you call people out for having a crappy imagination then you should at least back it up.

Anyway now that the silliness is over: I completely forgot about Carracosta and Floatzel. Those would be pretty fun to see but I don't know if the team would choose them over more popular mons. Then again I don't have a clue how popular they are in Japan.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
So we're just going to entirely ignore Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei 's suggestion of tackles and body slams?
Also, if this pic is an indication of anything, Blastoise is capable of grabbing. And while throws aren't much of an option, I think there could still be some potential attacks Blastoise could use instead of throws. Although I guess one pic might not be enough to fully justify that option, it still is worth bringing up.

:094:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So we're just going to entirely ignore Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei 's suggestion of tackles and body slams?
Also, if this pic is an indication of anything, Blastoise is capable of grabbing. And while throws aren't much of an option, I think there could still be some potential attacks Blastoise could use instead of throws. Although I guess one pic might not be enough to fully justify that option, it still is worth bringing up.

:094:
Every mon has a throw.

I brought up more than just tackle and body slam too so nothing has been ignored.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
TBH I don't really care if how the Pokemon are chosen, as long as they have some form of creativity.

Despite not having very many Pokemon that I actually like, I'm liking the roster a lot more than that of Smash Bro, simply because each Pokemon seem to be different from the rest (Compared to the giant waves of clones and anime swordsmen in Smash 4).

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
What do you all think support Pokemon Magikarp could do? I could see the move Fail from it helplessly (and hilariously) flopping toward you and while the actual HP damage would be pathetic, I'd be down for it chipping away at an opponent's shield rapidly if they held it up. Kind of like Mr. Saturn in Smash.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Splash, Flail, Tackle and Bounce are all the moves the Khrp can learn...he could literally just tackle the opponent which is pretty much the easiest way to implement him as an assist, perhaps use Splash as a distraction, or disappear with bounce then strike for some heavy damage...or perhaps just flail wildly causing multiple hits...or maybe they'll be a bit more outside the box but we'll see...

----

so as of now...Rock, Bug and Normal are the remaining types without a playable fighter in Pokken as of yet, correct?...potential candidates for these types?

placed in spoilers cuz there's quite a bit of text...

Tyranitar-still stands as a top contender in my eyes...in addition to its Rock and Dark typing is can utilize ground type attacks as well as use sandstorms...has that powerful mega form though...

Tyrantrum-is easily one of the more popular Gen VI pokemon...there would definitely be a ton of biting in its moveset along with some heavy head bashing and tail thrashing...perhaps it may have some ranged attacks due to ancient power as well as from its dragon typing, perhaps some powerful long ranged Draco Meteors...he may not be the most graceful mon but then again playing as a T-rex would be sick...his inclusion would definitely bring the hype...

Terrakion-one of the more popular Gen V legends...having a brutish bull could prove to be a fairly fun addition...perhaps some sword fighting with use of its Sacred Sword attacks as well...

Golem-OG rock type...if you really think about it, there's quite a bit this guy can do...from rollouts to rock throws to earthquakes to straight up explosions...I think Golem would be a fun addition even though it isn't THAT popular thanks to how annoying its pre-evolutions tend to be...

Rhydon/Rhyperior-I could see either or...each could definitely stand to be a powerhouse fighter...Rhydon is known for being the OG OG pokemon since it was thr first to be designed but Rhyperior's got some decent popularity backing it as well...

----

Scizor/Pinsir/Heracross-I'm grouping them all together as they are all the most fitting for a fighting environment as well as being pretty dam popular and powerful for bug types and each have their own mega form to boot...I'm betting (also hoping) for Scizor to get the nod especially since he could give us some more appropriate usage of the steel typing that Lucario barely really uses at all, in addition to its bug typing...though Pinsir and Heracross I would not be upset about (especially Heracross who's actually my favourite fighting type, and second favourite bug behind Scizor)...

Galvantula-a quick long ranged trap fighter not only would add the bug typing into the roster but a unique use of electricity that would prove to be a decent mix-up next to the two pikachus we have...Galvantula is a pretty popular Gen V pokemon as well especially given its competitive viability...

Volcarona-another popular fifth gen bug being Alder's ace and being pretty strong for a bug type as well...inb4 too many fire types (I swear Fire type is going to be Pokken's 'Anime swordsmen')

Ninjask/Yanmega-quick speedy buzzing bugs...both are decently popular I feel...could serve as effective glass cannons as they both can hits pretty hard (ninjask on the physical side, yanmaga on the special side) but of course being the typical bugs can get squashed easily but they have speed yo make them harder to hit (both get Speed Boost, double team, agility etc)...yanmega is probably the more likely of the two but either one could be a interesting choice...

----

Snorlax-is back on the table again thanks to Chandelure...would fit a unique sumo archetype...and is actually fairly versetile knowing hyper beam, thunderbolt, surf and perhaps even some poison type moves if that suits the developer's fancy...

Lopunny-I actually feel she's the most likely normal type...gained a mega form (with a verrry convinient typing mind you) and would make for a small but quick and agile fighter...not that its mandatory but Lopunny also adds another feminine fighter to the roster to go with Gardevoir and Braixen (though Pikachu Libre is female she's not 'feminine' per se)

Pidgeot/Staraptor-the two most likely 'bird' fighters the only difference between the two is Pidgeot's mega form but both are amoung the most popular bird pokemon and Staraptor before Gen VI was the closest thing we had to a fighting/flying type since it gets frikkin Close Combat...both can utilize wind in there movesets as well to make for some interesting trap based combos and perhaps even using their own sandstorms with this wind...

Bibarel-...I'm actually kind of serious tbh...a lot of pokemon players are very much aware of the 'Regional Rodent' aka HM Slaves that comes with each Gen...Bibarel is actually one of the best liked due to its versatility...Learning every HM except Fly...perhaps it could make for a neat 'joke' fighter given its derpy appearance but it could still be somewhat of a powerful mon given its water typing...heck they could make use of the HM's in his moveset...however I do think its more likely he'll be made an Assist than a playable fighter, but we'll see

Jigglypuff-it is unlikely but the puff's involvement in Smash may entice the developers to look into it...I do find it very unlikely that Jiggs will be as dominant in the air the same way she is in Smash...however she still has a lot to work with using sing, disable, double-slap and rollout...

Exploud-imagine a full fledged sound based fighter...Exploud is pretty much a top contender in this regard (although Jiggs could also work, as well as Noivern)...I don't think its popularity can really hold up to many other pokes but it for sure wouldn't upset too many people...at least I think...

Kangaskhan-forgot about this one...her new mega form has made her a force to be reckoned with...it'd be neat to get an Ice Climbers like tag-team to go with her burst attack that allows the baby to fight as well...she can definitely back a mean punch even without her mega form

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Vaporeon would be my #1 pick, being able to melt into a puddle like that Killer Instinct character. It can also jump around, swing its tail, and bite people to grab -- or maybe to grab, it wraps the opponent in water and flings them out of its amorphous body. When you have a character that can melt, you are only limited by your imagination. Of course, it would also have some typical water and ice projectiles as well.

What type would it be, though? Suicune is already a Balanced fighter, having a good mix of close range and long range combat. I guess Vaporeon could be made into a Speed type, if it had a strong combo game, but a Balanced type would also make a lot of sense. Technique focuses on ranged combat, which downplays the melting mechanic, so that seems unfitting. Power type might actually work, even if it is a bit illogical for Vaporeon to be a physical bruiser.

Rock-types... there are a ton of good ones to pick from. Tyrantrum would be the most exciting, perhaps. Maybe its Burst Mode would be Dragon Dance, making it faster for a limited time, with some cool red smoke effects. I think a Power type would be fitting. A fast Power type would be a force to be reckoned with.

Bugs? My #1 favorite Pokemon of all time is Scolipede, so I have to plug it. It can run fast, jump, spew poison, grab opponents with its neck claws, curl up and roll around, and jab opponents with its horns or tail. Its Burst Mode could be Speed Boost or Steamroller. Probably a Speed type, excelling at rushdown and combos.

Pinsir, Scizor, or Heracross would be cool, too.

Normal-type, my favorite type! There are so many interesting choices... I'll be happy no matter who they pick, since I love them all.

* Kangaskhan, Lopunny, Audino, and Pidgeot have the Megas.

* Ditto can transform.

* Kecleon can disappear.

* Smeargle can do anything with its magic paintbrush.

* Milktank as a Kung-Pao Cow would be hilarious! Tauros or Bouffalant would do great as quadrupeds, as well, and would be entertaining for other reasons: Tauros being pissed off constantly, Bouffalant with its afro and gold rings.

* Staraptor or Braviary would be fearsome raptors.

* Furret would be adorable and slippery. Other cuties might include Meowth, Jigglypuff, Stoutland, Helioptile, or Blissey.

* Diggersby can attack with its ears and burrow.

* Pyroar is a personal favorite (as is Volcarona), but we already have too many Fire-types...

* Then you have the digital ducks, Porygon, Porygon2, and Porygon-Z. Each have unique personality, but all have the crazy, nonsensical ability to be living computer programs.

* Sawsbuck would be cool. It'd start out in Winter or Autumn form, progressing through Spring, with the vibrant Summer being its Burst Mode.

* Exploud has the massive sound waves and a huge bevy of special attacks, another fine Technique candidate.

* And, of course, you have legends like the vocaloid Meloetta, and the mega-powerful creator, Arceus.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I would almost bet money on Snorlax or Lopunny for the normal rep. They are very popular andthey both have special notabilities backing them up.

Snorlax would become another Power type, obviously (Which they seem to be lacking as far as I know). He has that special place in the hearts of the Gen 1 players that would generate quite a bit of hype.

Lopunny is a decently popular mon. She has a primarily femanine design which Pokken currently lacks. She has a Mega for an easy Burst attack. Oh, and she becomes part Fighting type...

For Rock I honestly can't see them passing up on Tyranitar but we shall see.

Bug has already been said a thousand times.

Scizor is crazy popular along with Pinsir and Heracross.

Personally I'd bet on Scizor but I'm completely biased towards this mon to be completely honest.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
There've been a few arcade promos, but it'll be out on the Wii U for a few months before EVO in July.
Woops. Forgot the release ain't too far away. Well cool.

Glad the game isn't getting trashed like it was after the "Removal from Japanese Arcade" fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom