• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon X and Y: Competitive Gen VI Discussion

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I hope they dont ban M-Lucario cause I really like that poke going off. As for Charizard Y I only really see it in doubles mostly.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
MLuke is going to be banned. There's no way he's not. It's going to be like a 80%+ vote.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
toed and ttar as weather changers are still supremely good vs char-y

but you hardly see them anymore

but yeah like... i faced a team with both volcarona and char-y. i tried SO HARD to kill his tentacruel make sure my rocks were up. i was up 5-3, but the moment he got a rapid spin, it was GG and his fire sweepers bodied me. the metagame has evolved very far in fighting against hazards... lovin it, actually

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Is Zard Y worth the mega slot?
That's my only question about him. It seems like it would be excellent if not for other megas seeming as good with less support.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
his fire blast is insane, and he gets solar beam for waters

other options: EQ, roost, hidden power whatever, or dragon pulse if you're a hipster

that's pretty much char-y in a nutshell. he's brute force, and he does it well

i'd say he's worth trying out. even with rocks, his presence on a team poses a major threat. he also pairs well offensively with azumarill

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Wait people still think Charizard X is better than Charizard Y? Sun Boosted Fire Blast puts a huge dent in almost everything and Solar Beam hits anything it doesn't pretty hard. The only problem is it is really easy to counter with a weather inducing counter such as Politode and Ttar. But with the popularity of weather inducers falling many teams have a difficult time dealing with Charizard Y.

Hes not the best Mega out there but certainly better than Charizard X.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
zard x needs 1 turn to wreck your **** and pretty much has nothing that counters it thanks to STAB fire/dragon coverage and EQ

at least there are pokemon who can stop zard Y

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Charizard X is no different from any other DD Dragon, and probably worse than Dragonite. And Azumaril laughs in Charizard X's face.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 229-270 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 197-232 (48.7 - 57.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 163-193 (54.6 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 246-289 (82.5 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

you mean, this azumarill? DD dnite cannot get past fairies without running steel moves, dd haxorus has to run poison jab to do so and gets phazed out by skarmory every time

mega zard x has that STAB flare blitz which will pretty much OHKO any fairy at +1 except for azumarill and clearly, not even azumarill is safe

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Charizard X is no different from any other DD Dragon, and probably worse than Dragonite. And Azumaril laughs in Charizard X's face.
zard x is the 2nd best dd user in the game and the 1st is ray

also, welcome to tough claws, a city where resists don't matter:

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 153-181 (37.8 - 44.8%)

You can just go for Blitz, and if rocks are up you have a shot at getting the 2-hit, any chip damage and it's guaranteed. This is something with respectable defenses and a resist, but it doesn't matter because it's ****ing Zard X.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
zard x is the 2nd best dd user in the game and the 1st is ray

also, welcome to tough claws, a city where resists don't matter:

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 153-181 (37.8 - 44.8%)

You can just go for Blitz, and if rocks are up you have a shot at getting the 2-hit, any chip damage and it's guaranteed. This is something with respectable defenses and a resist, but it doesn't matter because it's ****ing Zard X.
Zard Y doesn't need to setup. It demolishes everything without any boosts.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The difference between x and y is that x is going to one shot at +1 and y is going to do 80%

80% sometimes isn't enough to avoid getting you killed.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
like i said before, zard Y has pokemon that can switch into it
zard x really doesn't

the only downside to zard x is that he uses a megastone

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
you know one of the real, but less talked about threats about charizard that makes him so hard to fight?

the fact that x/y is a mixup on the first turn. usually for DD users, i want to attack or status them instead of countering them, so that they can be crippled before they can sweep. for char-y, i usually want to find a good switch in to stop him from going ham.

the fact that charizard can become both already creates a MAJOR threat before he can transform. sometimes looking at the team composition can give it away, but it isn't always the case.

the argument to which one is better is situational.. depends on team composition. from what i've seen, char-y is more common, but mood brings up great arguments for char-x. either way, charizard provides a massively volatile mixup just from being on a team. something to think about

it's really only stealth rock that keeps him balanced... but with so many viable spinners and defoggers, and since char gets roost, it's not hard to play around it.

that said, one thing i'm looking for is a counter to mandibuzz.....

mood4food77

Smash Hero
mandibuzz doesn't take SE special attacks very well, just blast it with ice beams and tbolts and it should go down

it also doesn't take very kindly to SE, so ttar works very well here

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
You seem to neglect the fact that when Charizard first comes in he is x4 weak to Stealth Rocks. A fresh CB Azumarill is almost always going to force Charizard-X to switch because Charizard-x can't one shot and Azumaril can one shot after stealth rocks. In turn racking up more Stealth Rocks Damage.

Dragonite is a better DDer its because of his ability and bulk guaranteeing him a chance to set up a DD Charizard-x Doesn't have that luxury.

But Choko does make the best point about the mix-up being what makes any Charizard so good.

Also Mandibuzz is such a good Pivot with U-turn, Its so dumb.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
MADE SUSPECT REQS BTW

I will be voting ban MLuke and keep Deo-S/Gene in ou btw

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
dude congrats lol

it'll be a rough world with gene and deo-s around, but if u made it that far i gotta respect your judgment

i'm too busy playing around with janky stuff to get an ELO that high..

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
With Goodra, most people want to give him Gooey, but I think he works better with Sap Sipper, especially on a Physical set. It is so easy to switch out into Goodra when they have a Smeargle and get a free plus 1 attack.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yea i always thought sap sipper was better haha. better to not get hit at all on an obvious Spore, Leech Seed, or Giga Drain, than to purposely get hit on his weaker defense for a small debuff, when he is already slow.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
I think Gooey is more used for stopping certain Physical threats from potentially sweeping your team.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
I like Sap Sipper better because it stops Leech Seed and Spore. Gooey rarely plays a factor when I use it.

Last edited:

ss118

Smash Master
Ok I have an issue guys. I literally cannot stop using the same four pokemon for numerous reasons.

Genesect/Landorus-T/Aegislash are too good. Getting free switches using u-turn so that mixed aegislash can fire shadow balls is too good to pass up. Genesect is the obvious beast and Landorus-T just does a good job checking the metagame while providing a consistent SR and maintaining momentum.

Ghost and dark types are generally troublesome so I usually have Tyranitar as a buffer of sort. It works really well with the last three members(U-turn -> DD, mixed attacking to punch holes in ground types). What I can not do for the life of me is find two other members to work with it. Rotom-W makes the most sense(provides burn, water resist, Volt Switch), but I don't ever feel like it puts in the necessary work and I don't like the defensive nature of it. The sixth slot is much harder to fill because honestly the team does work and it should probably just be the "broken" slot where I put OP pokemon in there.

Hint: Mega Lucario sucks. I won't use it lol.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Anyone else playing UU? With all the recent bans UU is already shaping up to be surprisingly playable.

Thoughts, threats, predictions? My thoughts are "pretty cool, no weather, very little sticky web, only one truly obnoxious knocker-offer."

Threats are obvious from last month's usage stats. And now that the more obvious broken mons are gone, the only things I think could/possibly should get the boot relatively soon are Crawdaunt and Mega Gardevoir.

the-meximan

Smash Rookie
NNID
alex
3DS FC
4313-0624-6992
does anyone have modest goodra they are will to trade? with gooey? if not gooey then its fine just need a modest goodra

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Well M-Lucario is now banned along with Genesect, now which Mega is gonna get banned next? Find out on the next salty exciting episode of Smogon ball Z.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I've been keeping tabs on that for a while. The trolls spamming "start" really test my patience.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I'm pretty sure 5 hours ago they were doing a tile puzzle at Silph Co. I just checked the stream and they're still at the same puzzle. I don't even want to see what happens if we lose to Blue or Giovanni >_>

hahahaha yeah shoutouts to flareon
We may never see Surf. Well hopefully it'll be like the idea that someday a monkey will randomly type letters to recreate Shakespeare...

Last edited:
Top Bottom