• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon X and Y: Competitive Gen VI Discussion

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I don't even think Zard X is a real problem on its own merit rather its that it exists alongside Y and they have largely separate checks and counters.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
While yes, the mind game between the both of them helps them out but after 1 boost, Zard X pretty much wins games solo, Zard Y cannot claim such a feat and has trouble getting past specially defensive pokemon (especially chansey). Zard X just doesn't give a ****

i'm not saying he will be banned, I'm saying he's the most likely Mega to get the boot/

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Zard Y is the better of the 2 though lol

Zard X cannot really start up against competent teams to the point its defensive set has actually been the main set used for it at top levels of play (Specially Defensive with WoW/Roost/DClaw/EQ), at least Zard Y can nuke stuff and usually go unpunished for it if the opposing team doesn't have Chansey.

If a Zard would get the boot to remove the 50/50 it'd be Y since X contributes a lot more to the game out of the 2 and is overall way less broken. I really don't think either are going to be banned though despite one or the other probably getting a suspect test by the time X and Y is over.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I agree that Dragon Dance Zard X is pretty overrated.
I would much rather have something like Mega Gyaradose if I'm looking for a DD sweeper.

Vashimus

Smash Master
A strong Poke with DD and nearly perfect coverage with its STABs + Tough Claws is still a pretty big deal.

If Gyarados could learn Crunch, Mega Gyarados would be a million times better. As it is, the Dark typing adds nothing but weaknesses.

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I think Mega Gyarados might be the best DDer. Mold Breaker is perfect for a setup sweeper these days being able to bypass Unaware, and it has further upside like ignoring Levitate, Storm Drain, etc. which allows him to take out things that would otherwise check him well.
Plus Mega Gyarados has the luxury of not evolving, which not all Megas get (because they are just bad without it, or have no reason to not). While not evolving leaves you worse than a regular Gyarados with an item, that's still really damn good. It's often correct to not evolve until late, or even not at all because the Flying type is solid defensively and it allows him to provide Intimidate support for longer; just having the choice is really good.
It's definitely a shame that he doesn't have anything better than Bite for Dark STAB, but it's not really like he's giving up a great Flying STAB. Bite might not be anything to write home about, but it does take care of mon like Slowbro, Celebi, and Latias.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
As someone who has yet to partake in gen 6 due to lack of 3DS, I should probably asked you lot. In gen 4, it was great until Stealth Rock controlled pretty much everything and the final years got dominated by dreagons like Latias and Mence. Gen 5 went to showcase how stupid permaweather was in the long run and they were everywhere. What is the battle environment of gen 6 like, better or worse?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Much much better.
Stealth Rock is still everywhere, and running a team without Stealth Rock still feels kind of wrong to be honest because it's just that good, but removing hazards is also easier with the Defog buff. x4 weak to Stealth Rock isn't a death sentence as clearly seen by the likes of mons like Talonflame and Mega Pinsir.
Hazards being easier to remove has in a way put yet more emphasis on Stealth Rock over other hazards because it has the lowest opportunity cost of all hazards and potentially very high reward because some of the best mons in the format are weak to it. But honestly, it feels like Stealth Rock is just overall healthier this gen despite that.

Weather being nerfed was definitely for the best. I've seen plenty of success from Sand and Rain (and have played Rain myself) and they still feel powerful and rewarding especially because a lot of teams just are very ill prepared to handle something like Kabutops in the rain. Haven't seen much from Sun, and honestly I don't expect to see much as it just has poor enablers (Zard Y isn't exactly facilitating with his sun only lasting five turns) and the rewards don't feel as high. Hail is just... always the sad weather.

It feels like this gen is still settling down as there really hasn't been too long since the obvious BS has been banned (and there's still a couple things that are debatable, but those are obvious suspects not quickbans or anything like that), but at the moment it seems like any style of play can work. Stall is great, bulky offense, hyper offense, balance, weather, w/e you want can work.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
gen IV you ran SR to nab KOs. Gen VI you run SR to not get ***** by the likes of pinsir, talonflame, charizard, dragonite, volcarona, etc

it's very balanced but everything does seem to hit very hard. there is a lot of variety though with viable pokemon (i don't remember a time when almost half of UU was super viable in OU)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
You know what pokemon I have found can be really good? A contray superpower malmar trained in hp and defense. It can really do some damage that way.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Does anyone know a solid Rotom-Wash counter? I get so sick and tired of running into the thing every other OU match.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Ultimario got 6-0'd by a Slurpuff...doesn't make Slurpuff a good pokemon

**** happens

mood4food77

Smash Hero
no it was definitely you, someone has the replay saved somewhere and it's definitely your username

unless someone trolls you on showdown with the same name

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The thing is I know exactly which replay you're talking about. It's even on Youtube.

I made an RMT, someone who was bad used the team and got 6-0'd by a showderp team with Slurpuff.

You can find the YT video and yourself ensure that was not me, or search the replays for UltiMario and not find a single one with Slurpuff even in the battle.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
but....it had your name on it, like it was Ultimario vs whoever (idk who)

it's not the point or whatever, the fact that your team got swept by a slurpuff doesn't make slurpuff good

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It wasn't.

It was this battle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43jfupk0XBA

That's not even archived in the replays, it was never saved, only recorded live from the actual battle.

You can even check all the replays on http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ and still not find it vs me because it wasn't me lol

The fact of the matter is any battle showing off anything below about the 1800 mark in OU rankings doesn't mean anything because ****ty players will remain ****ty.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Anyone else think Mega Sceptile will be a Rotom-Wash check? It has Lightningrod for Rotom's thunderbolt and resists hydro Pump. It also is a special attacker, so it doesn't get affected much by Will-o-Wisp.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Lightningrod is so crappy of an ability. Sceptile already 4x resisted Electric with that Dragon typing, and it can't even be used as a counter to any non-Rotom-W Electric Type because they all pack HP Ice or HP Flying.

Mega Sceptile is going to have to completely rely on stats in order to succeed. All that can be done is to hope it's enough.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Lightningrod is so crappy of an ability. Sceptile already 4x resisted Electric with that Dragon typing, and it can't even be used as a counter to any non-Rotom-W Electric Type because they all pack HP Ice or HP Flying.

Mega Sceptile is going to have to completely rely on stats in order to succeed. All that can be done is to hope it's enough.
Immunity to Thunder Wave, and it completely shuts down Rotom-Wash. Also, it will probably get a large speed and special attack boost, so it can probably OHKO most electric types before they get a chance to attack Sceptile. And it has a Christmas tree tail.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Immunity to thundy's priority Twave is really all its got from that. You shut down Rotom-W either way, with or without lightningrod (not like shutting down Rotom-W is a relevant perk anymore anyways). It needs the raw stats in order to get the crucial OHKOs on electric types anyways, plus access to Earth Power in order to get those KOs, or a complete reversal of its offensive stats to allow it to use EQ, in which lightningrod's boost is useless anyways.

If it gets the raw stats and good move tutors to support it, it's going to be amazing. If its mega stats are poorly allocated, it's going to be mediocre at best.

AirFair

Marth tho
Why would they give Mega Sceptile Lightningrod when it already has electric resistance?

As said above, it's not very useful I agree.

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915

With Mega Altaria being confirmed now (and having the Pixelate ability), I have a feeling that she's going to dominate the second half of Gen VI's metagame. Dragon/Fairy is an incredibly strong typing defensively and STAB Fairy Type Returns and Hyper Beams will hit extraordinarily hard.

D

Deleted member

Serebii posted this:
As announced several months ago, Pokémon X & Y's Special Battle in Season 6 of the Rating Battles is to run a Double Battle where the most used Pokémon of Seasons 1 to 4 and half of Season 5 are banned. All other rules are standard Double Battle rules. Today, the ban list has been revealed. During Season 6, which runs from September 8th, you will not be able to use the following Pokémon: Charizard, Gengar, Kangaskhan, Gyarados, Tyranitar, Mawile, Salamence, Garchomp, Togekiss, Rotom, Cresselia, Amoonguss, Thundurus, Landorus, Greninja, Talonflame, Meowstic, Aegislash or Sylveon. This is only during the Special Battle.

This means that the meta for this format on Pokemon X/Y will be extremely different. Thoughts? I like it, since it gives other pokes time to shine.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Cool Idea, but when the competition is over, people are probably going to revert back to their "favorites" again.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
Why would they give Mega Sceptile Lightningrod when it already has electric resistance?

As said above, it's not very useful I agree.
thunder wave could have still crippled it

plus it could be an effective switch-in when you predict a volt switcher tryna dip from the battle

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
also i have a question

I wanna EV train LO Magic Guard Clefable in-game but there's no way in hell i can have softboiled on it, is wish a better alternative?

it's part of a personal project to EV train every Pokemon by Pokedex No. Order

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
also i have a question

I wanna EV train LO Magic Guard Clefable in-game but there's no way in hell i can have softboiled on it, is wish a better alternative?

Use Moonlight, Wish is also an alternative, but I run Moonlight on mine since it's instant. Weather isn't as common either so you shouldn't worry about sand, rain, and hail too much using it. Clefable doesn't take damage in that weather anyway~

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
Use Moonlight, Wish is also an alternative, but I run Moonlight on mine since it's instant. Weather isn't as common either so you shouldn't worry about sand, rain, and hail too much using it. Clefable doesn't take damage in that weather anyway~
wow how the hell did i forget Moonlight

and since now the biggest weather setter is Charizard Y, it makes sense anyway

thanks a lot!

Mega Rayquaza

Smash Rookie
also i have a question

Idk I'd go Wish if you wanted to Wish pass too. Sun and Sand are still kind of common in OU thanks to Mega Zard Ys and Tyranitars. Moonlight though is still a better option for a Clefable if you're not running support Clefable (setup Clefable perhaps). Wish is also better with Protect but that's two move slots.
Edit: Wow didn't realise this post is from months back lol oops.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Guess who Smogon is suspecting.
That's right, kiddies. They aren't trying to ban something this time.
They're trying to unban it, and after what happened to Kyurem-B in gen 5, I actually wouldn't be too terribly surprised if they went through with this.

That would kind of rock, actually. This beast is easily one of my favorite legendaries as far as design goes.

Nope, it was just an early April Fools joke.
I've been made a fool of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom