• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon: Why I'm Glad I Didn't Start Playing With Generation One

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Link to original post: [drupal=5325]Pokemon: Why I'm Glad I Didn't Start Playing With Generation One[/drupal]

Call them "nostalgia-***s," "Gen One-ers" or whatever you want, but they're all used to describe the same thing in Pokemon: those who see the first 151 Pokemon(and sometimes the first 251) as the only good Pokemon to come out of the Pokemon franchise. Those fond memories of catching their first Pidgey on Route 1, watching their Charmeleon suddenly begin to change again into this orange dragon that you've never seen before, or finding that strange mess of a "Pokemon" off the coast of Cinnabar Island are memories that are permanently etched into their brains. I sometimes wish that I could have memories like that, but because I didn't really grow up with any game that wasn't a spin-off (the first Pokemon game I played was Pokemon Snap, and I really only played the other games on the N64) I don't share memories such as these. When I think of this, however, I begin to think of something else: if I did have memories such as those, would I even still enjoy Pokemon today? All of the hours of joy that the series as a whole has brought me, could I too have been blinded by my memories and never have given the future generations even a try? It makes me glad that the first main-stream Pokemon game that I actually played through was Ruby and I was already past the age where memories of games seem to be implanted in my brain as the greatest thing that I've ever seen in a video game. Being able to enjoy each and every game for what it is, and not keep thinking "where's (insert name of Pokemon)? How am I supposed to enjoy this game without it/them?" is something I wish everyone could do. If only everyone could just look beyond their memories and be able to enjoy each and every game in the series.
Having gone back and played Crystal and Red in just the last couple years, I did enjoy the games, don't get me wrong, but since they weren't a part of my childhood, I did not find that quite as amazing as most would make them out to be. I actually feel bad for the people who can't look past the first 151 (or 251 in some cases), not being able to enjoy Gens 3, 4, and 5. All the different Pokemon to capture, the different areas to explore, they truly makes for excellent Poke-filled experiences, and they're missing out.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I've played since RB, and I plan on buying BW2. Honestly, Red and Blue have ugly sprites, and the gameplay isn't nearly as developed as it is in later gens. RBY are probably my least favorite Pokemon games. Fire Red/Leaf Green are much better alternatives IMO. MUCH nicer sprites, similar story, and better gameplay.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
That's great, and we've already had this talk in here so I won't go into it much.

Thing is though, there is also the idea of thematic ambition within constraints of the time. It's kinda like saying some douchebag's lame four chord based song on piano is inherently better than something by Bach because the modern piano has more dimensions to its musical capabilities than a harpsichord, making the music more complex all round. Good luck with that.

RBY GSC were thematically and artistically different in many respects to Gen III onwards to a very significant extent, and in many ways I think they reflected some aspects of the 90s. Most of us who are "nostalgia***s" for Pokémon are, *gasp* children of the 90s, so yeah, there are things that draw us in.

Again, I'm not justifying the somewhat unfair and rash relegation of subsequent generations, but there is sound reasoning for the preference of the earlier generations, and likewise for the later generations. Liking one era over the other is mostly a case of what you lean towards in terms of themes and art styles. I liked the grittier and more real world-ish aspects of the first two generations, had a real hard time enjoying Gen III, but loved Gen IV and though Gen V was aight. Gen III's Colosseum and XD I actually rank equally with RBY/GSC, because of their thematic contruction among other things.

So there we have it. You may be glad you didn't play them as a kid, but I'm sure glad I did, because I don't think there will be anything quite as all round awesome yet accessible to all ages in the realm of videogames for a long, long time.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I've been playing since Red/Blue and third gen is my favorite. I do think there are nice parts about the original games -- despite what Shortie says, I actually very much like the style of the original sprites -- but the more time passes, the more outdated many of the mechanics of the game seem.

The originals will always hold a place in my heart, but honestly, I don't think that having played them in your youth makes anybody automatically susceptible to not accepting the newer generations. It's a matter of whether you're willing to accept nostalgia for what it is and look past it to see if first/second gen really is your favorite. A lot of people aren't willing to do that, so they only accept the first generation or two to have "real" Pokémon. But whenever I hear somebody say "There's a trashbag Pokémon and an ice cream Pokémon! Obviously Pokémon sucks now!" I just want to scream. Because there are silly Pokémon in first gen too. And just like in first gen, there are some amazing Pokémon in fifth gen.

EDIT: I would like to back up Teran too, though. Although a lot of people who don't like the first two generations are blinded by nostalgia, there are perfectly legitimate reasons to prefer them. And I'm equally annoyed by people who refuse to look past nostalgia and people who won't accept that people like an old game better because they insist it's just nostalgia.

FZ64

Smash Journeyman
1st one I played was pocket monsters Green the sprites were better than Blue and Red then worked my way up (green is rather dark 4 a "E"game)

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Complaining about things means a person has standards and likes the thing they complain about. If the person didn't enjoy and care about the series, they would not put the passion and effort into finding faults with it.

Ice Cream Cones.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
i find it funny that people complain about Trubbish and not Magicarp.
Of all the first gen Pokémon to complain about, I don't know why Magikarp is the one you'd pick. He's a generic fish, and I think the fact that it evolves into Gyarados makes it a relatively intriguing Pokémon anyway. Mr. Mime, Jynx, Grimer/Muk, Voltorb/Electrode...those are the ones I'd jump to first.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm glad that Grimer/Muk was brought up, because I must say that a lot of the evolution's in the first generation were kind of boring. Things turning into bigger things or adding two more and calling it something new. Even if you have a hardcore nostalgic binge going on, you got to admit that a handful of them were kind of lazy.

FZ64

Smash Journeyman
Of all the first gen Pokémon to complain about, I don't know why Magikarp is the one you'd pick. He's a generic fish, and I think the fact that it evolves into Gyarados makes it a relatively intriguing Pokémon anyway. Mr. Mime, Jynx, Grimer/Muk, Voltorb/Electrode...those are the ones I'd jump to first.
Idk y but Magicarp just came 2 mind 1st, and training magicarp 4 Gyarados wasn't really worth it to me l:[

FZ64

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad that Grimer/Muk was brought up, because I must say that a lot of the evolution's in the first generation were kind of boring. Things turning into bigger things or adding two more and calling it something new. Even if you have a hardcore nostalgic binge going on, you got to admit that a handful of them were kind of lazy.
true but it was the 1st game and also mew2 is in da hand full gigue from mother was the first wired long-tailed aline thing qB

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Idk y but Magicarp just came 2 mind 1st, and training magicarp 4 Gyarados wasn't really worth it to me l:[
Well yeah, in fairness Gyarados kind of sucks a bit in the first three gens because one of his options for STAB is basically useless due to lack of physical/special split. But I'm talking conceptually, not about how useful they are.

true but it was the 1st game and also mew2 is in da hand full gigue from mother was the first wired long-tailed aline thing qB
I can't really tell exactly what you're saying here...but are you comparing Giygas to Mewtwo? Granted I've never played Mother, but just from quick googling, I don't see how you can possibly compare the two. Because Giygas has a tail-like thing and Mewtwo does too, they're similar...? If you want to go for the humanoid cat approach for criticizing Mewtwo's design, I'll give you that that's essentially what he is, but Giygas-Mewtwo similarities is something I really can't agree with. They're entirely different designs.

Also, a little tip, you should use the edit button if you have something to add to your post, rather than posting twice in a row.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Mewtwo did not evolve from Mew so.... no. Did anyone else think Mewtwo was blatantly Freiza, from DBZ? I don't think I'm the only one...

But yea, I always thought some of the evolutions were a little boring, but how much did you expect some of them to change? I do admit that **** like Magnemite evolving into Magneton, and Diglet evolving into Dugtrio was ****ing stupid, and I never used those pokemon as a result of being stupid.

And training Magikarp so it evolves into Gyrados not worth it? Really? You... only had to get it to level 20....

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
RBY are incredibly fun because

a) they're broken as ****
b) they're simple as ****

Gen 1/2 are most definitely my favorite to actually play. They're simple and not bogged down by a lot of random bull**** like the later games. Gen 3/4 honestly have too much "Story" for me which is usually better than not but considering how awful the general story in pokemon is i couldnt give a **** less about it. I just want to beat some trainers, challenge some gym leaders, RNG for a lvl 1 mew and beat the elite four.

That said, I have not played gen 5 but have heard the actual story is pretty good, i cant confirm or deny that but I will take it at it's face value of people saying it's good so they must actually think it is.

Also gen 1/2 competitive was ***. Gen 1 still pretty ****ing broken, Gen 2: STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL

Gen 4 all day for dat ****.

Eat a **** mow, Gen 2 sucks

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

Again, I'm not justifying the somewhat unfair and rash relegation of subsequent generations, but there is sound reasoning for the preference of the earlier generations, and likewise for the later generations. Liking one era over the other is mostly a case of what you lean towards in terms of themes and art styles. I liked the grittier and more real world-ish aspects of the first two generations, had a real hard time enjoying Gen III, but loved Gen IV and though Gen V was aight. Gen III's Colosseum and XD I actually rank equally with RBY/GSC, because of their thematic contruction among other things.
I'm glad to see that you've played all of the generations and still play Pokemon today. Gives me hope for this fanbase. If I were to have formed the same opinion as you, then I wouldn't mind if I had started playing with Gen1, as I would still be enjoying the franchise today. I think it's fine to simply prefer one generation of games to others, since the games from Gen4 (minus Diamond and Pearl) are my favorites in the series so far, despite not being the newest. But It's not so much just preferring Gen1 (and 2) over the others, but more preferring them so much that you won't even touch the newer games, which unfortunately happens.

Zeldoretheenchantress said:
i'VE PLAYED IT SINCE IT WAS MADE OF HUSKS OF CORN!!!!1455454441`1OnE1!!!
A fellow Pokemon 'Bridged fan! To be honest, I'm surprised.

Ugh, too much to respond to. Hopefully no one thinks that I just ignored them.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Pink Reaper- Competitive RBY has a lot more luck than other gens but is still largely about skill and in a best of five the better player will normally come out ontop.

I've never played GSC competitively but to my understanding the top GSC players think that that only noobs who don't really understand the meta think that GSC is stally.

:phone:

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
GSC is 100% based around stall. The entire metagame is built around attempting to set up a Curse sweep and the entire OU metagame is formed almost completely of bulky walls/tanks. A major strategy in the game is literally just to make yourself so slow you cant be phased. Basically it's a slow and stally metagame.

RBY isnt based on skill. The majority of skill in any given pokemon game is in team building, then from there it's just knowing how to use that team. However Gen 1 is so unreasonably unbalanced that your team is basically made for you. Realistically speaking there's at most 14 useable pokemon for gen 1 and at worst 8 and you're literally required to run at LEAST two of them(Chansey and Tauros go on every team) It's not competitively unviable but it's not good.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Well yeah, in fairness Gyarados kind of sucks a bit in the first three gens because one of his options for STAB is basically useless due to lack of physical/special split. But I'm talking conceptually, not about how useful they are.

I can't really tell exactly what you're saying here...but are you comparing Giygas to Mewtwo? Granted I've never played Mother, but just from quick googling, I don't see how you can possibly compare the two. Because Giygas has a tail-like thing and Mewtwo does too, they're similar...? If you want to go for the humanoid cat approach for criticizing Mewtwo's design, I'll give you that that's essentially what he is, but Giygas-Mewtwo similarities is something I really can't agree with. They're entirely different designs.

Also, a little tip, you should use the edit button if you have something to add to your post, rather than posting twice in a row.
I believe that happened in gen 2.
Also, I have thought Mewtwo was Frieza since I saw the Pokemon card. My issue with the later gens was the seemingly lack of fresh ideas. Magmar and Electabuzz evolutions? No thanks. I haven't looked at all the gen 5 Pokemon, but I've hated every single one especially the "legendaries" with the exception of the new Eevee evolutions in gen 4. Gen 3 was alright IMO, beside the overworld sprites and the team Magma/Wtf ever.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
RBY isnt based on skill. The majority of skill in any given pokemon game is in team building, then from there it's just knowing how to use that team. However Gen 1 is so unreasonably unbalanced that your team is basically made for you. Realistically speaking there's at more 14 useable pokemon for gen 1 and at worst 8 and you're literally required to run at LEAST two of them(Chansey and Tauros go on every team) It's not competitively unviable but it's not good.
Lol chansey isn't on every team. Two psychics can cover chansey's role and can provide a massive offensive threat once you've exploded stuff on their specials. Reflect alakazam pretty much completely outclasses chansey once you've removed their specials. Chansey is probably easily top 5 in the game, but is nowhere near as important as tauros. Tauros is the only pokemon that needs to be on every team.

What level of RBY have you played at? I'm willing to challenege you to a best of five on PO, and I'm not even that good.

And no that's just how later gens work. In later gens all the skill is in team building, because in battles you just boost-sweep or weather- sweep because the nature of the stats means that pokemon can start outspeeding and OHKOing everything very quickly.

Because in RBY nothing really OHKOs anything else in OU,boosting isn't as centralising as it is in later gens, and a lot of early-midgame pokemon either recover or plan to explode on something, there's a bigger emphasis on switching and controlling the match. Statuses are also a bigger deal, so there's a lot of tactics involved in spreading those efficently. For example if you paralyse an opponent's chansey, you're going to have a very hard time statusing anything else, and you're going to have to keep your rock healthy and switch it into something other than ice beam to scare chansey out without something important like tauros taking unecessary paralysis (or alakazam, depending on what set you run).

There's a lot more strategy than people realise. Also, team strategies vary despite so few pokemon being standard. For example, what trades I want to make with explosion, what I want to take sleep, what I want to sac, differs depending on my team and the opponent's team.

If there was no skill to RBY, I wouldn't comfortably beat low-level players who use standard teams, and I wouldn't have lost the majority of the time against high-level players when I played them before I got better (now I don't know how I compare to them, I'd probably get owned lol). I also wouldn't be a bigger threat in NU than I am in OU, and wouldn't be atrocious in UU like I am.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I've played since Gen I and am currently playing BW pseudo-competitively (I breed pokemon that would do well in the metagame guided by an understanding of team formation, coverage, EV training, etc but so far I only play against friends and have only been to 1 tournament). I'm happy I played Gen I and II as a kid, cause even now I can enjoy them (not really cause my Silver broke :(), for both the games themselves and for the nostalgic factor. But honestly if you asked me to pick my favourite Gen, I wouldn't be able to do it. They're all so good.

But yes I feel that quite a few people talk about how good Gen I (sometimes both I and II) are, but say that the generations onwards from the ones they like are terrible, and it's probably because they played I (and II) as a kid and enjoyed them because it was a part of their childhood and because they're good games, but as they got older they were ashamed of the idea of playing pokemon at a certain age so they just trash talk the newer generations. (No this doesn't apply to everyone that dislikes the newer generations)

I bet if all 5 generations were released while we were kids (and you could somehow cancel out any negativity that comes from the fact that 5 generations were released in such a short time interval) then we'd have way less people hating on gens III-V.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah even though RBY is my favourite gen, I still think it's been surpassed by later gens.

However, I think when you factor in all gens from an objective standpoint, RBY has more appeal than something like RSE, because RSE is basically an inferior version of BW with possibly better pokemon. RBY at least has the appeal of completely different battle mechanics.

I'm not saying that RBY is better than RSE, it's that I think from an objective standpoint any experience you can get in RSE you can get tenfold in BW, it doesn't really seem to offer anything unique.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Wait, your favorite games are gen4 but not diamond and pearl? Therefore your favorite game is a remake of Gen 2?
No, Platinum is my favorite. I really love just the sheer amount of Pokemon you can catch as it makes for so many possible teams (that are actually good). Heart Gold and Soul Silver are close seconds (for the same reason) though and having played both them and the originals, I enjoyed the former much more. Black and White are up there as well. Haven't completely formed my opinion on Black and White 2 yet, as I've only played them in Japanese, but I must say, it beats Platinum and HGSS in the sheer amount of different Pokemon.

The Good Doctor said:
I believe that(the physical special split) happened in gen 2.
The physical special split happened in Gen4. In my opinion, the greatest thing Gamefreak has ever implemented, up there with abilities.

How did this turn into a discussion of the metagames throughout the generations?...I like it. I find learning about all of them to interesting.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
:mad088:

Anyway, obviously the battle mechanics have been massively refined over the generations (although the introduction of things like EVs and how they're managed is eh), but yeah take Fire Red for example.

Fire Red to me is just a more enjoyable than RSE in every way, because while the underlying game mechanics are the same, the whole adventure that you have in RBY is infinitely more intriguing, to me anyway.

Still, first gen has its charm in its awesome 8-bit music and it's funtimes battle mechanics. Stat Exp > EVs idgaf what people think.

I just miss the days when Pokémon wasn't some cataclysmic IT IS YOUR DESTINY ****. RBY/GSC's culmination made me feel like a champion, a legend. Hell I have to give DPPt its dues because it does have that feeling when you finally walk into Cynthia's room, that piano piece hits, then the battle starts with its furious battle theme. It is awesome how you also mirror Cynthia's journey, it's sort of like a baton passing (no pun intended).

So yeah, I'm just going to flat out say that I am heavily influenced by single player (probably a bad trait these days in retrospect), and that since single player is pretty much negligibly affected by battle mechanics, what I judge the games on is everything else about the experience.

[yt]7bRctqZpTM8[/yt]

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Okay! Well, this REALLY caught my attention. I have a story to tell and it's directly relevant.

basically, my brother is in the category you just explained to me. He likes the first 151 and thinks everything past is unoriginal and uncreative (he can have his opinion and there is some merit to it but in truth, every gen has its flops and uncreative pokemon, gen 1 included). Anyway, for a very long time, i was of the same opinion (i'd spent so much time around him and I love my brother so much that I just grew to trust him on that one. I kinda liked the others but 'hey he said they're bad, guess they must be bad'. I'm clueless sometimes and i often assume other people know inside stuff that i don't so that is why I was like that).

It was only a few years ago that my opinion truly changed. My friend lent me Platinum and his DS and I played it. I was slightly eager to try it and see how it was. i was very familiar with the gameplay mechanics and with the whole physical/special split and a couple other, more minor changes to the actual gameplay mechanics it did not take me long to get past gardenia (my friend was stuck on her) and smash everybody else after. The important thing though, was that i had fun. I had come in to it not knowing exactly what was in store but I came out with a renewed opinion on pokemon. i took genuine joy when I saw a new pokemon, every time. It was fun meeting so much new and see all the new places and look at the colour and pseudo-3d buildings and see all the old pokemon in newer graphics and more details with new pokedex entries and so on. Platinum was one of the best games to happen to me because it made me realise that you really can still get new but great stuff and that while nostalgia is fine it shouldn't necessarily jade you from concepts or gameplay mechanics or whatnot which will hinder you from enjoying what is actually a decent game.

It inspired me to play white as well, which was nice. I liked white for a different reason than Platinum. In all honesty i probably preferred the Sinnoh world but Unova's wasn't too bad, if a bit uniform. What I liked about white was how the developers took a whole game - no, a whole GEN aside and made it all to address a specific issue many people look at when thinking of pokemon in a more realistic sense (is it just cockfighting? Are we being cruel to our creatures) and just built a game around it that was appealing in story and actually made you THINK (am I being stereotypical if I say some - not all, Spec Ops, the Line being a good example of such - FPSes don't do that often enough?). It was great to see the game so looked in to when it came to story design. It actually wasn't the best storyline ever but it was good in poke-terms and was a story that sparked discussion. That makes it pretty decent in my eyes. :)

So yes, make no mistake that gen 1 is a beautiful thing in my eyes and probably is my favourite (because of how it introduced this whole new concept and made a whole new world that sparked comics, anime, TV shows and countless other spin-offs. It really was a sensation that sucked me up as a child and I wasn't even born when it first game out! :laugh: ) but the other gens aren't bad and they all have something new to offer which keeps on proving that pokemon isn't just 'beating a dead horse'.

FZ64

Smash Journeyman

not really, yes they have tail things but Giygas in his not "disorder" form (the big red skull snake like thing) he was slimmer and well looked like a cat-humam stick figure, mew2 is more of a buffed up version and just added/ changed things: a different tail color non black eyes hands and feet, and non cat like ears. and I see how it's hard to see Giygas being 8-bit and then looking at a 16-bit mew2.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
By your logic everything is a rip off of everything else.

Beethoven is a rip off of some African dude who lived in 10 000 BC because they both used the same sequence of notes in a specific piece.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Special was split into Special Attack and Defense in Gen 2.
That's what I meant
Oh. Ehehe, sorry.

Teran said:
I just miss the days when Pokémon wasn't some cataclysmic IT IS YOUR DESTINY ****. RBY/GSC's culmination made me feel like a champion, a legend. Hell I have to give DPPt its dues because it does have that feeling when you finally walk into Cynthia's room, that piano piece hits, then the battle starts with its furious battle theme. It is awesome how you also mirror Cynthia's journey, it's sort of like a baton passing (no pun intended).
While I didn't understand anything that was being said, I felt that B&W2 kind of captured that feeling (except that last part). It was probably because I was playing it in Japanese, but it did feel more like I was just stopping Team Plasma. It wasn't my destiny or anything (but I wouldn't know, so I guess this is kind of pointless). It was like the game had two climactic endings: when you beat Team Plasma, which you do first, and beating the champion. When I beat Team Plasma in this big epic battle, it felt that my journey was over...BUT WAIT, I still haven't beaten the champion! After going through this big long journey, finally getting to the champion's room felt like a big accomplishment, and then you square off square in one last battle. While all of the games do this(except RBY. I didn't really get that feeling since you defeat Team Rocket kind of in the middle. And also B&W, for obvious reasons, but I enjoyed that final battle as well), I felt that B&W2 really nailed it perfectly for some reason. I just love that whole "your journey is not over" feeling. It makes finally beating the champion that much more satisfying to me.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Wait Black 2 has been released? o.o

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
It is going to be released in October in North America, but it was released in Japan in June. I played the Japanese version, hence why I said that I couldn't understand anything that was being said.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I still assumed the Japanese release was going to be in the Autumn.

Wow I'm really behind on my game news.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I would love it if they were released in all regions at around the same time. Wouldn't have to worry about spoilers.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

If you check one of these websites every so often and you'll be up on everything Pokemon-related at least. There's this whole chain of Nintendo-related Wikis (which you can find at the bottom of the first link) if you want to get caught up on basically EVERYTHING Nintendo related. Can't really help with non-Nintendo stuff, sorry.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I know about Serebii and Bulbapedia, I've just been pretty detached from it all.

Guess it worked out well I won't have Black 2 spoiled for me.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Funny though that in B&W I preferred final N's theme to Alder's theme. That was one thing I didn't like. Alder being the optional final battle, his music should be more epic to reflect the bigger trouble the player went to defeat him. His theme was alright but not truly great (except for the very first few seconds, that entry is awesome but after that it's pretty non-memorable for me). Not just that but he, the champion, had to SHARE his theme?

Nope. Not good.

Otherwise it was pretty fun, fundly enough i preferred the gym leader themes to the elite four themes in terms of melody. Why was it that the gym leaders got a theme (an amazingly epic one, too!) for their last pokemon but the elite four didn't? :(

Overall a lot of B&W's music I LOVED but there were times when it was in the wrong places. The town themes were cool and the legendary themes (especially reshiam/zekrom/kyurem) were great. :)

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
GSC is 100% based around stall. The entire metagame is built around attempting to set up a Curse sweep and the entire OU metagame is formed almost completely of bulky walls/tanks. A major strategy in the game is literally just to make yourself so slow you cant be phased. Basically it's a slow and stally metagame.

RBY isnt based on skill. The majority of skill in any given pokemon game is in team building, then from there it's just knowing how to use that team. However Gen 1 is so unreasonably unbalanced that your team is basically made for you. Realistically speaking there's at most 14 useable pokemon for gen 1 and at worst 8 and you're literally required to run at LEAST two of them(Chansey and Tauros go on every team) It's not competitively unviable but it's not good.
This is the same kind of mindset that I could use to paint ADV as nothing but Calm Mind/Baton Pass sweeps or Gen IV as Stealth Rocks 2: The Rockening/Choice Sweeping to be honest. Every metagame will look shallow without the correct analysis.

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
I started with silver (the original not the remake) and i can honestly say that the new games are better in every way. The gameplay the mechanics the strategy everything even the pokemon themselves IMO got better as time goes on.

Top Bottom