• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer vs Diddy Kong

Diddy Kong is one of the most if not, is the deepest charcter in the game. His Ground game is unparalled with his pesky Bananas. His aerial and grab game is also something to be very afraid. Pro Diddys are just scary D:.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
:)

IMHO i think that squirtle is our only real threat here. Charizard is good but he can be punished very easily by naners. Squirtle has a very good air game which can render our fair useless if you try to do so. Thats all I got.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Squirtle- Squirlte is great here. He can use Bananas very effectively if he gets a hold of them, which isn't that hard, and is better than Diddy in the air. Jabs and tilts also work well at close range.

Diddy generally has a hard time KOing people... but not against Squirtle. His aerials can KO you but you should be able to avoid getting hit by them. Fsmash and Dtilt are the main KO moves to watchout for both of which can be glidetossed into. Ftilt may even KO at higher percentages.

Ivysaur- My Ivy sucks but I've been able to do alright here. Diddy has the weight and fall speed to get decent damage off of bullet seed if they can't DI. Nair and bair are still good. Razor leaf I believe outranges a glide tossed banana. If Diddy gets pressure on you though it can ridiculously hard to regain momentum. Your KO moves might also be hard to land here.

Diddy's gimping game is decent but nothing extraordinary.

Charizard- Flamethrower and Rocksmassh can do decent damage. With Charizards large size and all he has trouble dealing with bananas. If Zard gets a banana there isn't much he can do with it. And Diddy can juggle him. Keep the pressure on him and try your best to keep him from getting bananas out. If you can play aggresively and prevent him from getting his stage control going you may have a chance. With good DI you'll have a much easier time KOing him then he has KOing you. Still its an uphill battle.

Squirtle- 60:40
Ivy- 40:60 possibly 35:65. Or maybe its just that my Ivy sucks.
Charizard- 40:60
If you can keep Squirtle in long enough you'll have a decent shot at this.

As for stages BField is a good choice if he doesn't ban it. Platforms get his bananas stuck. Norfair and Brinstar and RC are generally good against stage control characters. RC is bad against Diddy but isn't great for Ivy or Zard.

FD should be your ban. Smashville is tough too. You can do an instant switch but the long platform is a problem. Stadium 1 is also a problem in its neutral state.

Lylat may be something to consider. Don't have much experience here but it seems like the tilting may be detrimental to his banana game and his recovery.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Against Squirtle, the match-up is 50:50.

Sure Diddy has nanaz but Squirtle hold a good game with them to. Squirtle has an awesome or not 2nd best air game in the game. They are quick, fast, and painful. Squirtle can combo Diddy really easy as well with the simple Uair--Uair--Bair combo and proceed with the jab game with little lag to spare.

Diddy against Squirtle is that he can mix-up the nana game so to not let Squirtle grab one and use it against him. That alone gives him an adv. over Squirtle and also using the MFK can break through Squirtles' bair I think. Diddy has trouble killing but against Squirtle itz fairly easy to get him off the stage and ledge hog when they try to up-B.

Against Ivysaur, 45:55. Diddy's Fav.

Ivy may not have the speed but it makes up for his killing power. The Usmash, Fsmash, or Uair will take Diddy out rather quickly. Ivy's bair and nair can be a nuisance b/c nair I think has no lag on landing, and bair just annoys players and provides some good spacing.

Diddy has an adv. over Ivy cause he can't glide toss (I think). Diddy can easily combo Ivy around the stage and once again Diddy only has to get him off the stage and gimp the tether Ivy has.

Against Charizard, 40:60 Diddy's Fav.

Charizard has the power to get rid of Diddy easy. A simple Fsmash or Dtilt will do it or a sweet spot Rcok Smash. The Flamethrower is pretty decent at keepin Diddy at bay. He can also keep Diddy off the edge by fair because it'll make the MF pointless and basically end Diddy's recovery b/c it pushes him far away and can frankly kill.

Diddy can juggle Charizard around and rack massive damage. In addition Diddy's air game iz has an advantage over Charizard's, keeping Charizard on the ground and keepin' up the juggling with the nanaz and grab combos.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I don't think Ivy can glide toss. If he can its distance is very tiny. I don't think that Diddy should be getting hit with an Usmash from Ivy. Even Fsmash is tough.

T-block

B2B TST
Ivy has a decent backwards glide toss. I just ride Squirtle in this matchup...if you learn to use bananas as well as a Diddy main can, this matchup is easily in Squirtle's favour.

So I heard that Charizard's ISJR doesn't trip the bananas. Anyone use this to any extent against Diddy? The matchup wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for bananas.

MR.3

Smash Rookie
Don't play many diddy's so i'll take evreyoneone's word on this but i do have 1 question.

Do any of PT's projectiles get rid of banana's either when is still in the air or when they land on the ground(flamethrower,water gun, razor leaf and such)?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i'm pretty sure flamethrower ignores bananas and they go right through it

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
I ****ing hate Diddy Kong.
Man i never played my Diddy against you. Only my Mario which u 2 stocked, lol. I'll play Diddy against ya next time to see how i fair against ya or at least until I go to another waba tourney when i come back from school.

Plus, u still want that rematch against Scatz rather badly eh? lol

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Man i never played my Diddy against you. Only my Mario which u 2 stocked, lol. I'll play Diddy against ya next time to see how i fair against ya or at least until I go to another waba tourney when i come back from school.

Plus, u still want that rematch against Scatz rather badly eh? lol
Well, it's not that Diddy Kong is among my hardest matchups or anything--He's just among the least fun characters to fight. It's really, really boring.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I think squirtle wins 60:40 after playing you reflex! But diddy wins probably 70-30 against charizard, and 60-40 against ivysaur to make up for it. I can't be entirely sure about these two ratios though. Squirtle can simply float around diddy's shield and it's really hard to punish him for it because of his lagless aerials and speed. Charizard really can't do anything, and has no viable options to approach. It makes it even worse than he's a large target and easy to combo. Ivysaur just simply can't deal with diddy's pressure game.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Don't know if this has been "discovered" but I'll mention it anyway.
Input the controls for any of your 4 hydroplanes (fsmash, dsmash, usmash, instant usmash) with banana in hand and squirtle will throw it in its respective direction while sliding the hydroplane distance. Helps for those not particularly good at glide tossing, or even just for mix ups with said nanas. I guess you could use it vs anyone else with catchable items (ZSS, ROB, Snake, Link, Toon Link, Wario, Peach)

Ghetto Fabulous

Smash Journeyman
all right, enough of the charizard bashing. All char has to do is walk forward and shield the bananas. Diddy's love to glide toss to dash attack, just grab them and then **** with charizards insanely good grab release options. Charizard ***** diddy off the stage with fair, dair, and flame thrower. Sure he can get juggled, but thats not the end all of the game. Not to mention his glide toss is fairly good. Also, something not many people do is upB out of shield. this works great against diddy cause his dash attack puts him right inside charizard, making it hard to DI out of, not to mention most of the time they wont be expecting it cause u should be grabbing most of the time that this happens. This is just one matchup where you need to be really patient, and then punish when diddy hits ur shield. Its not easy, but its definitely not as bad as everyone is saying it is; ivysaur is way harder to use in this matchup imo.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
Retreating glide toss forward ***** pokemon trainer.its completely safe and if your spacing it right all 3 have long enough trip animations for guarenteed follow ups,bananas mess up hydroplaning usmash,charizard gets up tilt locked to a guarenteed u-air/bair/fair,and if ivy gets thrown off stage there shouldn't be any reason he's getting back to the stage.
60:40 at the very least as a general ratio

MR.3

Smash Rookie
^ I agree with all of this. Though with ivy or charizard if you could easily spike diddy while he is charging his jetpack. all you have to do is get him off the edge. Speaking of spikes does squirtle have any spikes or no?

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
have you ever faced a GOOD diddy ghetto.... its a lot harder then it seems. you can just shield you have to power shield all the bananas.

did you say charizard has a glide toss....? i dont think he does.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
charizard technically has glide tosses but they are the shortest non zero distances of all characters

Ghetto Fabulous

Smash Journeyman
ive played good diddys, im just saying the matchup isnt as bad as everyone is saying it is. quite a few have been saying ivysaur does better, but i see no evidence for that when charizard doesnt do THAT bad. Once you know the small areas you can punish diddy during his banana toss/grab/rushdown game, the matchup gets a lot easier. Most people just get frustrated cause diddy can make it look like there is so much going on and **** to deal with, but diddy accomplishes a lot of this by relying on your lack of knowledge and simple frustration at the matchup. Yeah the matchup is hard, but if you are patient its not terrible, especially with charizard. atleast this is what my experience has shown

T-block

B2B TST
diddy beats you in the air. bananas beat you on the ground.

that's basically how charizard vs diddy goes. it's not unwinnable, but it's tough...and annoying.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
yeah i think its worse then everyone says... diddy is horrible. I think you have to face a really really good annoying diddy and you're views will change with that.

Top Bottom