• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
you know it would be nice if you could say how the games took precedence over the the show and the movies. because i cant see it.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
you know it would be nice if you could say how the games took precedence over the the show and the movies. because i cant see it.
Well, Link, Ganon, and Zelda don't resemble the versions of themselves found in their cartoon show. Same with the Mario crew. It's just common sense that if something is found to be true in a game and it conflicts with something found in a cartoon show based on the game, the game will take precedence.

Sure the pokemon got in based on their popularity, but other than that, they are basically faithful to their game appearances as far as moves and appearance goes. It's generally accepted that pokemon say their own names, even in some of the games, and it's quite appropriate for Mewtwo to be there, since he is the "Final boss" Pokemon of the first games.

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
And Dr. Mario? Does he fight viruses? XD He's from a Tetris-esque game...

Just because they don't fight in the games doesn't mean they can't fight in SSB. Tom Nook doesn't fight, and yet a lot of people still want him.

I mean, c'mon, someone using a fishing pole and a bicycle as weapons would be great. It'd fit the atmosphere of SSB pretty well if you ask me.
Ness uses a yo-yo and homerun bat. Red would use a fishing pole and bicycle. Makes plenty of sense to me. Not to mention every human can throw a punch and kick. I mean, look at Mario he's a human, and as far as my knowledge goes the only thing he did to fight was jump on things, throw things, and use the ground pound.(Wonder why that never made it into the game?) He'd basically be like Mario except instead of using Fireballs and doing crazy *** flips he can use pokemon and throw pokeballs.

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
Red and Green came out, then because of the popularity they made a manga and anime for it in Japan. Then they made Red and Blue for America, then made a manga and anime.

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
If this character got in, I see it highly doubtful his name would be Red. It just seems obvious to me they would call him Ash because I remember when the Pokemon games first came out Red was many times referred to as Ash. My thoughts on them calling him Red in gold in silver were always that it was because a lot of people named their initial trainer Ash.

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
Ash can't be in the game because he originated in an anime/manga. The only game he's ever been in is the Pokemon Puzzle thing.

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
Yes but I doubt they would call him Red just because Ash is so widely known.

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
This is from the topic i made which got locked. Looking back i guess this is the best place to post...I suppose...

Here's me moveset

Ash fans out there (Im one of them) just know that Red does make more sense, even if he isnt as well known. However, he would DEFINITELY have an alternate costume that would look like Ash (think Peach/Daisy).

And heeere we go.

A- Left jab
Ax2- Left-Right combo
Ax3-Left-Right-"Girly shin-kick"
A rapidly- Left-Right combo, but a tad faster
A while dashing- Hops on Bike

Utilt- Punches up with both hands, elbows facing out
Dtilt- A quick, Ness-like kick
Ftilt- Knee (as in the verb)

Usmash- Bicycle kick (like in futbol)
Dsmash- Sweeps the ground with the Super rod
Bsmash- Jabs super rod backwards, under his arm
Fsmash- Smashes with the super rod (Crazy rambling: Tapping A lets the hook fly, and grabs a player, then tapping A brings them in. Simply pulls them in though, not like real grabbing)

Nair- Front flip, tucking in everything but one leg
Fair- Dropkick (kick using both legs)
Uair- Strikes upwards with the pokeflute(what>.> just wait till the B attacks)
Dair- Pendulum kick(wide sweep starting at his but and going till the leg is perpendicular to his spine)
Bair- Elbow(verb)

B-Throws rocks (like Link's arrow)
DownB- Takes out and throws an occupied pokeball (like a weapon). However, this move is quite cinematic, and lags a loooot. (think of Links bombs)
UpB- Throws the escape rope up. The move can be tilted and used as a grapple(twice as long as samus') lags
ForwardB- Throws an empty pokeball, usually. Sometimes the other balls are thrown, or a rock or pokedoll(which does no damage). It hits and acts like Yoshi's B, and if the opponent is caught(by not button mashing enough) tons of damage is dealt(like 25).
B while dashing(what, it could happen)- Strikes with the itemfinder

Super- Pikachu, Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Snorlax and ? all come out of pokeballs and do average attacks.

Grab- Like Marth or Roy, by the collar
Grabpunch- Punches in the gut
Uthrow- Charizard does seismic toss (think Kirby's up throw)
Fthrow- Blastoise does Hydro pump
Dthrow- Snorlax does body slam
Bthrow- Pikachu does thunderbolt

Dodge/Airdodge- IDK, something animeish and comical

Jump/Doublejump- A little weaker than Mario's, the second is just a 360.

Taunt- Throws a pokeball up and down while straightening out his hat.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
This is from the topic i made which got locked. Looking back i guess this is the best place to post...I suppose...

Here's me moveset

Ash fans out there (Im one of them) just know that Red does make more sense, even if he isnt as well known. However, he would DEFINITELY have an alternate costume that would look like Ash (think Peach/Daisy).

And heeere we go.

A- Left jab
Ax2- Left-Right combo
Ax3-Left-Right-"Girly shin-kick"
A rapidly- Left-Right combo, but a tad faster
A while dashing- Hops on Bike

Utilt- Punches up with both hands, elbows facing out
Dtilt- A quick, Ness-like kick
Ftilt- Knee (as in the verb)

Usmash- Bicycle kick (like in futbol)
Dsmash- Sweeps the ground with the Super rod
Bsmash- Jabs super rod backwards, under his arm
Fsmash- Smashes with the super rod (Crazy rambling: Tapping A lets the hook fly, and grabs a player, then tapping A brings them in. Simply pulls them in though, not like real grabbing)

Nair- Front flip, tucking in everything but one leg
Fair- Dropkick (kick using both legs)
Uair- Strikes upwards with the pokeflute(what>.> just wait till the B attacks)
Dair- Pendulum kick(wide sweep starting at his but and going till the leg is perpendicular to his spine)
Bair- Elbow(verb)

B-Throws rocks (like Link's arrow)
DownB- Takes out and throws an occupied pokeball (like a weapon). However, this move is quite cinematic, and lags a loooot. (think of Links bombs)
UpB- Throws the escape rope up. The move can be tilted and used as a grapple(twice as long as samus') lags
ForwardB- Throws an empty pokeball, usually. Sometimes the other balls are thrown, or a rock or pokedoll(which does no damage). It hits and acts like Yoshi's B, and if the opponent is caught(by not button mashing enough) tons of damage is dealt(like 25).
B while dashing(what, it could happen)- Strikes with the itemfinder

Super- Pikachu, Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Snorlax and ? all come out of pokeballs and do average attacks.

Grab- Like Marth or Roy, by the collar
Grabpunch- Punches in the gut
Uthrow- Charizard does seismic toss (think Kirby's up throw)
Fthrow- Blastoise does Hydro pump
Dthrow- Snorlax does body slam
Bthrow- Pikachu does thunderbolt

Dodge/Airdodge- IDK, something animeish and comical

Jump/Doublejump- A little weaker than Mario's, the second is just a 360.

Taunt- Throws a pokeball up and down while straightening out his hat.
Now, to continue our previous discussion:
For the Bthrow, how about just using Red? You know, as in, he actually does something? XD
But as I said before, cool moveset - ugly character.

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
Now, to continue our previous discussion:
For the Bthrow, how about just using Red? You know, as in, he actually does something? XD
But as I said before, cool moveset - ugly character.
Haha. I suppose, maybe like, he rolls back and kicks them with both feet? Like your partner in Splinter cell 2?

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
This is a tricky one. Since everyone is completely insistant that Red and Ash are different characters, you need to look at Red how he appeared in Pokemon Red (I've always had Pokemon Blue, I feel left out). The game had a backstory, but no actual plot. They instead opted to make a main character vague enough that he could pretty much represent anyone. This works extremely well in the Pokemon games because, instead of following a predetermined plot, you make your own story based on what you do, who you fight, what Pokemon you use and how you use them. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that "Red" isn't really designed to be a distinct character with his own story, but an in-game representation of the player. This works wonderfully for the Pokemon games, making them more about role-playing than most RPGs, but unfortunatly doesn't translate well as a character to fit in with the very distinct personalities that make up the Smash Bros cast. The Pokemon themselves are the real stars of the game, and trying to put in a generic human character from the series just wouldn't be natural.

Ash can't be in the game because he originated in an anime/manga. The only game he's ever been in is the Pokemon Puzzle thing.
Whether in the form of a show, movie or game, Pokemon entirely belongs to Nintendo. I know it's been said that no characters originating from manga or anime will be in the game, but Ash wasn't a character specifically designed for the show. He acted as a TV series suitable version of the generic protagonist of Pokemon Red/Blue. He's a version of that character who had his own story, just like Pokemon players had their own versions. But since Nintendo can't just use a player's story, why not use their only officially released interpretation of who that character is.

Fawriel

Smash Master
...I would never ever have expected anyone from these forums to post such a remarkably intelligent post concerning the wrongness of a Pokemon trainer in Brawl.
Wow.

I think I need to lie down for a bit.

Chancellor

Smash Rookie
I was actually talking about this about a couple days ago with some people I play with. I think having Ash in the game would be a lot better than having a couple of the pokemon there :grin: Laugh as you wish, but I think ash would be a better character than oh say... any other pokemon they want to put in.

FSLMJM

Smash Journeyman
No way Red will be in Brawl. There was like 4 playable characters in Melee and it will probably stay like that in Brawl, which will likely include:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario

Oh, and Red would suck in Brawl.

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
Im pretty sure that, besides MarsBitrona , no one has made an actual point as to why Red would be bad for brawl. Which is sad seeing all the good points on why he SHOULD be in it...

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
This is probably asking for trouble, considering the level of discussion I've seen on this thread. But, being an optimist, odds are someone will read this and like it. So here goes nothing:

Pokemon Trainer Mechanics
-------------------------

The idea behind this moveset (not really a moveset I guess, more like guidelines or mechanics) is that the trainer (Red for example, the actual trainer is irrelevant) does not fight for himself. As in the Pokemon games, his Pokemon will do all the work for him. I've read some of the complaints about lag times and unlimited Pokeballs, and I've put some thouht towards alleviating these issues.

My first idea was to have a Pokemon by Red's side by default, i.e. released as a part of his intro animation before the fight begins. This Pokemon would provide his A button moves and would be out at all times. My first thought was Lucario, a popular choice for a new Brawl Pokemon, which could provide more than enough moves to fill out Red's A attacks. But that's just the first Pokemon that came to mind, with a little creativity any Pokemon could fill this role. Red would simply follow this Pokemon very closely (even closer than the ICs start, maybe even in the background a bit) as it fights for him. Red would jump with and get knocked around with this Pokemon as it moves and takes hits, so they won't be separated.

Now, that bit only covers A attacks, throws and a regular jump. What about the B specials?

For each separate B move, a Pokemon will be instantly released with Red whipping out a Pokeball and releasing a Pokemon (in a flash of light or SFX akin to the games) when a move is input, and the Pokemon returing to its Pokeball immediately after its move has been performed. No throwing the Pokeball! He'll just release the Pokemon nearly instantaneously from the Pokeball in his hand, and when the move has been performed, the Pokemon will instantly return and Red will pocket the Pokeball. This not only alleviates the cheapness worry of Red having unlimited Pokeballs, but makes a moveset actually plausible by reducing lag time. Plus, these moves would be on the level of other characters' moves; they would NOT be as strong as the Pokeball item in the interest of balance.

Almost anything could be built around using 4 different Pokemon for each of Red's 4 different B special moves. The only thing that seems like a given is that the double jump and B up will have to be a flying type. Other than that, the sky's the limit.

Again, I have to stress that specifics are really irrelevant to this idea. The trainer could be any trainer from any generation, and there are hundreds of Pokemon to choose from to actually flesh out a moveset using the mechanics I've described. The way I see it, this idea is a win/win situation. Red will pretty much stay in the backseat while his Pokemon do the fighting, satiating people who didn't want him to fight in the first place and would rather see more Pokemon. But on the other hand he'll be a unique character that's true to the series, a trainer working with his Pokemon to win yet another battle. And if you think it's stupid for a Pokemon trainer to be in at all, well, I can't help you there.

Anyways, this an idea I was mulling over. Hope you enjoyed reading it!

Fawriel

Smash Master
I enjoyed reading it and the idea of a trainer rose a little on my tier list of acceptance.

Vali

Smash Ace
It's an alright idea Yoster, but to be honest I'd prefer to actually play the pokemon that was doing all your A moves for you and flesh them out with their own unique B moves instead. Would work better if every move was a different Pokemon in my eyes, and no pokemon that were already appearing in the game. His moves would have a little lag, probably due to pokeball animations, but they'd be balanced to be strong and slow instead. To be fair though it's a pretty terrible idea since it'd be infinitely more fun to play as an actual decent pokemon than <insert generic trainer here> and taking up a rep spot that could potentially go to someone like Lucario or Deoxys is pretty much a big no no.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
This thread needs to die and get tossed in the ocean metaphorically.
I was actually talking about this about a couple days ago with some people I play with. I think having Ash in the game would be a lot better than having a couple of the pokemon there Laugh as you wish, but I think ash would be a better character than oh say... any other pokemon they want to put in.
Than Meowth? Than Deoxys? Than Lucario?
FOOL!
Im pretty sure that, besides MarsBitrona , no one has made an actual point as to why Red would be bad for brawl. Which is sad seeing all the good points on why he SHOULD be in it...
Because the idea is self-evidently bad, and people are too shocked that anyone would ever even think of it to refute it.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
It would be interesting to see his moves, but I just don't want him in.

Fawriel

Smash Master
...no seriously, what was that about?

Anyway... it's not *completely* on topic, but I got a strange idea...
I'd like for a trainer ( Red? ) to be included as an optional "add-on" to the Pokemon characters in Brawl.

Assuming that character introductions a la SSB64 return, Pokemon would probably come out of Pokeballs again.
In that new Pokemon Stadium-like game for the Wii, you can choose different types of trainers to represent yourself.
How about when you choose a Pokemon, you have the option of choosing a trainer to go along with it...
The trainer is then seen throwing the Pokeball in the introduction sequence and in the winning screen.

Sure, the change would be purely cosmetic, but... it could feel awesome if you really love the Pokemon games.

Mckillyou

Smash Journeyman
I could see Neutral B just him standing there and pointing and then a random pokemon does a random projectile attack. Slow but strong :)

I could see this guy working out.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I'm not going to jump on the band wagon just yet, but I really think he could be an interesting character if they took the time to make his moves interesting (although, I seriously doubt they would put him in...)

For example, he could have an attack like Yoshi's nB where he'd trap someone in a pokeball for a certain period of time. And, he could have another move like Link's vB where he'd get out a pokeball, which he could hold onto until he wants to throw it. These would be just like the normal items, but Red would have a handful of unique Pokemon who would come out and do their own thing just like the normal ones. And, (to prevent spam), there'd be a certain time limit between pulling out pokeballs. And, you could be creative and come up with more...

He could have some A-moves similar to Ness's. Just some hits and kicks, but this really is where you run into rough ground...I'm really not sure how you could incorporate Pokemon at all into his A-moves (unless you got REALLY creative...)

In any case, I think he'd be interesting if they took the effort to make him good. But, I really don't see it happening.

Yoshi Z

Smash Rookie
ssbb would b so gay if they put ash or red in.they can just trow pokeballs everywhere and a pokemon would come out. and one might b a legendary.

:eek::lick::lick::lick::cry::newbie:

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
O.o ..........

kk....WHY did this thread have to come back!!!! I thought it was gone, and we had seen the last of this madness......but no.....I must retourn to flame.....again....

I swear, I am so annoyed seeing these "ash for brawl" or " red for brawl", "blue for brawl" , "insert colour here for brawl" threads/posts.....they have got to be some of thee stupidest, agonizing, childish, pointless ideas I will ever consider responding to....

Whoever thinks, that out of the overly large selection of 400+ pokemon there are, that a TRAINER will be playable in brawl is DEAD wrong, and possible some of the saddest "fanboys" I have ever heard from......and many others have heard from aswell.....and I'm 100% sure what I'm about to argue, MUST have been said before, because it scares me to think there are no sane people who would have already mentioned this.

first off.....so many of these posted movesets for ...(I'll just go with red) Red, involve summoning pokemon for certain attacks.....hmmmm.....seems logical, and a good idea for gameplay to add to smash..........................................................................................
THAT'S WHY THE POKEBALL IS A FREAKING ITEM!!!!!! SO ANY CHARACTER CAN THROW ONE, AND A POKEMON APEARS!!!!!! ANY character can throw a pokeball, ANY, so how origional would it be to just be able to do that for "Red's"moves? Pretty dull......

Second....Red is not popular.....infact he's MAJORLY UNPOPULAR.....like....go to any random person....say the word "Pokemon" and what comes to mind? Well, probably things like Pickachu, Mewtwo, Meowth....because they are ACTUAL POKEMON!.....NOBODY, will ever think of "Red".....WHY, because it's just a name...a POSIBLE naem at that......it is a character, who really has no character (he just walks.....he dosn't talk- he has no personality- he dosn't battle, he let's his pokemon do that) If there's is going to be any character representing the "POKEMON" series, then wouldn't it be logical that it would be an actual "POKEMON" !!!!!.....you know....HENCE THE NAME POKEMON!

Thirdly- Now, other movesets i've seen have included moves such as punching and kicking....which brings me to another point.....WHY WOULD RED ACTUALLY BE FIGHTING?!?!? I mean.....that's kinda the point of being a pokemon trainer....YOU DO NOT FIGHT! YOU LET YOUR "POKEMON" FIGHT! YOU TEST YOUR "POKEMON'S" STRENGTH IN BATTLE! NOT YOUR OWN! so WHY! would Red actually be fighting, and getting hit? HE WOULDN'T WHEN THE TRAINER'S FREAKING BATTLE, THEY DO SO WITH .....POKEMON!!! NOT THEMSELVES!........Even at the begining of each frickon game.....the "Professer" always says the same stupid thing "oh, don't step in the grass, you might be attacked, you need to have pokemon to battle with first" ........ why would he say this, unless the trainers could f'n fight for themselves......:mad:

Red WOULD NOT IN THE LEAST BE ANY FORM OF "GOOD" REPRESENTATION FOR BRAWL! If there will be representation for "Pokemon" it WILL BE A "POKEMON" why? BECAUSE THE GAME IS ABOUT """POKEMON"""! He would also be bad representation, because when poeple see him/play as him, they will think it is so incredible lame & unbearably stupid, the Pokemon franchise would be leaving a bad image for itself

:mad: so there, once again I had to respond to this POS idea of trainers in brawl....and, As Iv'e said on other "Red flamming occasions" ( a fellow smasher once said) " unless he is the alternate costume for the sandbag in the homerun contest, then there is NO good reason for him to be in Brawl" ....

PS: It's not often I make longer posts about things, because I am somewhat of a dyslexic (though I think i've come quite a long way, I DO try to catch my errors, and have become fairly good with a keyboard).....so if anyone tries to BS my points due to my spelling errors, then A: your getting personal, and B: It's a lousy excuse in the first place

Brawlman

Smash Ace
I, personaly, like this idea!

I forgot where, but I saw an extremely good moveset for Red. (Wasn't here though) And that was enough to convince me.

At first, I was like many others on this thread. "Red Suxx fore Brawl cauz hes not a pokeeman"...Okay, not those exact words, but you get the point. But, when I saw that moveset...I realized that just because he's a trainer, doesn't mean that he HAS to use Pokemon to attack. Heck, a few movesets in this tread were good!

Besides, Capitain Falcon never did anything in his games. And don't use that "He's a Bounty Hunter." excuse on me. I mean, since when could Bounty Hunters punch with the force of an explosive?...Didn't think so.

So my point is, anyone can be in Smash if they have a good moveset...INCLUDING a Pokemon Trainer that has never been seen fighting.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I, personaly, like this idea!

I forgot where, but I saw an extremely good moveset for Red. (Wasn't here though) And that was enough to convince me.

At first, I was like many others on this thread. "Red Suxx fore Brawl cauz hes not a pokeeman"...Okay, not those exact words, but you get the point. But, when I saw that moveset...I realized that just because he's a trainer, doesn't mean that he HAS to use Pokemon to attack. Heck, a few movesets in this tread were good!

Besides, Capitain Falcon never did anything in his games. And don't use that "He's a Bounty Hunter." excuse on me. I mean, since when could Bounty Hunters punch with the force of an explosive?...Didn't think so.

So my point is, anyone can be in Smash if they have a good moveset...INCLUDING a Pokemon Trainer that has never been seen fighting.
Here's the flaw I see with this: Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not an F-Zero fan, but in his games, Captain Falcon never really left his racer, yeah? So, for all anyone knew, Captain falcon did go around screaming "FALCON PUNCH!!1" and beating small animals up when he was just walking around.

Same deal with Fox and Falco. They were always in their arwings in the games (pre-SF Adventures). Thusly, I have no problem believing that Fox owns a reflector for when he's outside his ship, carries a blaster around with him for protection, etc.

Red is just a guy with a few pokeballs. If you can remember any of that moveset that swayed your opinion, I'd love to hear it. Maybe it'll work on me too. But right now, I can't think of anything that Red could do aside from "punch", "kick", and "throw pokeball" without getting too random and out of character..

Brawlman

Smash Ace
It was on the NSider forums...But I checked back and it got frikin' deleted...In fact a whole lot of good threads were deleted.

But like I said, my earlyer post was just my opinion, I just hope someone thinks positively of it.

And besides, how do you know Red doesn't know how to fight with his hands, feet, and items? (Hahah! Right back at ya!)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
It was on the NSider forums...But I checked back and it got frikin' deleted...In fact a whole lot of good threads were deleted.

But like I said, my earlyer post was just my opinion, I just hope someone thinks positively of it.

And besides, how do you know Red doesn't know how to fight? (Hahah! Right back at ya!)
Truthfully, I don't. For all I know, the guy's versed in like 384672346 different forms of martial arts and keeps a pistol in an ankle-holster just in case a pokemon battle gets a little too outta hand. But I choose to believe if that were the case, he wouldn't depend on pokemon battles as his primary source of income. :p

That said, I can be persuaded relatively easily. I used to be anti-Toad, anti-Ridley, and anti-Olimar. No longer the case.

SonicMario

Smash Master
:lol:
The only characters that Red would be able to beat is Pikachu or any other pokemon that appears in the game. otherwise it is only one-five damage from being hit by a pokeball.

And now a little text toon

Red: Ha ha King of Koopas! Your end will come soon! With these pokeballs, Ha Ha!:nerd:
Bowser: (hit) Ow! (hit) Owwwww! (hit) Quit it! (hit) Okay you asked for it!:mad:
Bowser runs toward Smash Ball and transforms into giga bowser.
Giga Bowser: NOW WHAT "POKEMON MASTER!!!!":flame:
Red: oh crap...:scared:
Red dies in a extremely large fire blast!:chuckle:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Here's the flaw I see with this: Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not an F-Zero fan, but in his games, Captain Falcon never really left his racer, yeah? So, for all anyone knew, Captain falcon did go around screaming "FALCON PUNCH!!1" and beating small animals up when he was just walking around.
Wrongo, if you didn't know Captan Falcon had his own anime show, and here is him doing a Falcon Punch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw
I don't remember Red doing a Falcon Punch or nuthin. =P

spikeball

Smash Rookie
Even though the F-Zero anime debuted in 2003 after smash bros and melee had already established Captain Falcon as having this "falcon punch" ... so next time don't give half the information only to help your case. If you can't then you can always get a job in politics.

Top Bottom