• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
Bah!
Mewtwo's overrated as a character.
And I just don't like him.
So Sakurai will obviously have to take that into consideration. :laugh:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Because of your sole opinion he should no longer be a playable character?

Not that I don't respect your opinion or anything, but that isn't really a reason to say a character shouldn't be in.

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
Because of your sole opinion he should no longer be a playable character?

Not that I don't respect your opinion or anything, but that isn't really a reason to say a character shouldn't be in.
hahahaha too true! There are plenty of other reasons Mewtwo shouldn't be a PC. Not gonna get into them all now but having him as a boss character is fine by me but on the other hand revamping his moveset and having him return is fine too. As long as he returns to wreak havoc, I'm good.

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
has anyone noticed this

squirtles shell is its usual color?

fix'd

....tenchar

EDIT:
and since i now see my post is unnecesary, how bout this:

what do you guys think of his costume changes? Im thinking Red(Main) Blue, Ash, Gary, and Brock. Or maybe he can become a chick, like in Crystal.

Or maybe his costume changes make his pokemon shiny...

i just came a little bit

Dilophosaurus Rex

Smash Cadet
I think this character will be a very interesting one.

Also, i wonder how a fight will look if everyone will pick Pokemon Trainer. I'm already imagining four trainers running in the background, lol.

I've also been thinking of movesets for the three Pokemon he uses.

Ivysaur:

B: Solarbeam. Ivysaur charges his Solarbeam, and fires it when ready. It damages opponents a lot.
B>: Razor Leaf. Sharp leaves fly in the direction Ivysaur is facing, damaging and knocking back opponents.
B/\: Vine Whip. Ivysaur uses his two vines to strike opponents with. You control the movement with the control stick. It can also be used as a Tether Recovery.

Final Smash: Leaf Storm. Ivysaur creates a whirling vortex of sharp leaves, which severely damages opponents. Kind of something like Mario's, but leafy, instead of fiery.

Charizard:

B: Flamethrower. Charizard breathes fire, which has a pretty long range and works kinda like Bowser's.
B>: Dragon Rage. Charizard fires a small ball of energy which explodes on impact. Kind of like Samus's missiles.
B/\: Steel Wing. Charizard flies up in a 45 degree angle, and his wings damage enemies on touch.

Final Smash: Blast Burn. Charizard fires a huge ball of fire into the center of the stage, where it explodes, and causes huge amounts of damage over a huge area.

Squirtle:

B: Water Gun. Squirtle fires a spray of water which knocks the opponents back a lot, but causes minor damage.
B>: Skull Bash. Squirtle tucks in his head for a short time, during which he will be invincible (but can be damaged), and then he blasts forward, slamming into opponents.
B/\: Rapid Spin. Squirtle retreats into his shell and spins around. Like Bowser's but higher and further.

Final Smash: Surf. Squirtle leaps onto the center of the stage and causes tidal waves to flood over the battlefield, damaging and sweeping opponents along with the waves.

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
I think this character will be a very interesting one.

Also, i wonder how a fight will look if everyone will pick Pokemon Trainer. I'm already imagining four trainers running in the background, lol.

I've also been thinking of movesets for the three Pokemon he uses.

Ivysaur:

B: Solarbeam. Ivysaur charges his Solarbeam, and fires it when ready. It damages opponents a lot.
B>: Razor Leaf. Sharp leaves fly in the direction Ivysaur is facing, damaging and knocking back opponents.
B/\: Vine Whip. Ivysaur uses his two vines to strike opponents with. You control the movement with the control stick. It can also be used as a Tether Recovery.

Final Smash: Leaf Storm. Ivysaur creates a whirling vortex of sharp leaves, which severely damages opponents. Kind of something like Mario's, but leafy, instead of fiery.

Charizard:

B: Flamethrower. Charizard breathes fire, which has a pretty long range and works kinda like Bowser's.
B>: Dragon Rage. Charizard fires a small ball of energy which explodes on impact. Kind of like Samus's missiles.
B/\: Steel Wing. Charizard flies up in a 45 degree angle, and his wings damage enemies on touch.

Final Smash: Blast Burn. Charizard fires a huge ball of fire into the center of the stage, where it explodes, and causes huge amounts of damage over a huge area.

Squirtle:

B: Water Gun. Squirtle fires a spray of water which knocks the opponents back a lot, but causes minor damage.
B>: Skull Bash. Squirtle tucks in his head for a short time, during which he will be invincible (but can be damaged), and then he blasts forward, slamming into opponents.
B/\: Rapid Spin. Squirtle retreats into his shell and spins around. Like Bowser's but higher and further.

Final Smash: Surf. Squirtle leaps onto the center of the stage and causes tidal waves to flood over the battlefield, damaging and sweeping opponents along with the waves.
Good ideas but for Squirtle he should definately wear the sunglasses and ride an actual surfboard for the Final Smash!:laugh:

Dilophosaurus Rex

Smash Cadet
No, there'll probably be a slot for Pokemon Trainer, and once the battle starts, he sends out any of the three Pokemon on him, and you can switch them out with Down B.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
series don't get allotted slots; sakurai does what he pleases. If say... pichu made it to brawl or not, it wouldn't affect the chances of your favorite character making it at all. Sakurai us going to put in what he wants he isn't limited be some imaginary barrier...

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
series don't get allotted slots; sakurai does what he pleases. If say... pichu made it to brawl or not, it wouldn't affect the chances of your favorite character making it at all. Sakurai us going to put in what he wants he isn't limited be some imaginary barrier...
EXTREME QFT

That's exactly how it's going to be. Sakurai will do what Sakurai wants. And if for whatever reason that meant every single newcomer from this point on was a Mario character, he'd do it. I doubt he would though.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
fix'd

....tenchar

EDIT:
and since i now see my post is unnecesary, how bout this:

what do you guys think of his costume changes? Im thinking Red(Main) Blue, Ash, Gary, and Brock. Or maybe he can become a chick, like in Crystal.

Or maybe his costume changes make his pokemon shiny...

i just came a little bit
I don't think Pokemon Trainer will change drastically. I think only his colours will change. At best, his colours will change to reflect the main male characters of Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl. Of course, it'd be nice if the female trainer could be an alternate, but I'm not counting on it.

I think his Pokemon will be shiny for one of his alternates. Black Charizard is awesome!

D.Q

Smash Apprentice
I've just thought of something... what if different Pokemon types received different damage from the same moves? For example, Kirby's stone would be super effective against Charizard, and Mario's fire ball would not be effective against Squirtle. It would create a lot of strategies.....

Sinn

Smash Lord
First off, I have to say that this whole thread was the funniest read I've seen in a long time. And I personally always thought that having an actual trainer in the game would be a neat idea, but had no idea how they would pull it off. That said, a couple of points:

Someone mentioned that PT wouldn't be able to have alternate costumes because of the different voices that would have to go with each one, specifically the female trainer models (which I'm hoping they include). I don't think anyone's mentioned this here yet, but they've already done something very similar to this in Melee. If you switch the game's language option from English to Japanese, Jigglypuff's name changes to her Japanese name, Purin, and all of her voice clips are changed to reflect that. I don't see any reason why it would be harder or less likely for them to have the same change based on what character skin you use. And if push came to shove, they could always just use one male voice for all the boys and one female voice for all the girls

@D.Q: I actually wondered if this would be a good idea outside of the Pokémon characters...such as having Ganondorf be weak to light based attacks or having the Ice Climbers be resistant to ice damage. The only problem I see is that this could potentially unbalance the game to the point where it's simply useless to use certain characters against certain others, and the game is probably more fun without it.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Darkfur: I still haven't seen that movie :cry:
Sinn: It is pretty entertaining...and weaknesses/strengths would just get in the way. Speed, Weight, Range, Fire Power, Air Battle vs Ground Battle, Agility, Stamina, Strength, Survival ect... There's enough to statagisize with and use what each char has to their advantages to win,

THIS ISN'T POKEMON??!?!?!?! WTF?!

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Welcome to the boards, Sinn!

Hm...I have no problem with the female trainer, if she's an alternate. The problem is, in Pokemon Trainer's profile Sakurai specifically refers to him as a he. If there was an option of choosing whether you wanted a boy or a girl, I'm sure the girl would've been in the picture with Ivysaur, Charizard and Squirtle as well. So I really doubt a girl trainer will be in the mix.

I'm really against the type advantage/disadvantage idea. We've already got switching and sharing the same stamina bar. Type advantages and disadvantages are way too complex.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
Darkfur: I still haven't seen that movie :cry:
Sinn: It is pretty entertaining...and weaknesses/strengths would just get in the way. Speed, Weight, Range, Fire Power, Air Battle vs Ground Battle, Agility, Stamina, Strength, Survival ect... There's enough to statagisize with and use what each char has to their advantages to win,

THIS ISN'T POKEMON??!?!?!?! WTF?!
as in, its smash bros, and meant to represent more than just pokemon.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
It wouldn't have shown a chick in those pics (squitle ect...) cause she'd be an altern costume, which btw, they haven't shown ANY for ANYONE so it's still a possibility.
I just noticed that an altern costume chick has been a main topic in this thread since the update...what an odd thing to talk about let alone converse for weeks (maybe months) about???? :dizzy:

THIS IS SMASH BROS?!?!?!?!?! WTF?!

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Since when did a character change sex when their costume was changed?

Then again, when did a character ever change entirely? All they ever got was a new colour or a minor form of new clothing (mainly the Pokemon). =l I mean, it would make sense with Mario and Dr. Mario, but everyone else...not really. =/

*cough* Edit: I just realized that there's Nana. But that's it. Shut up. >_>; The Ice Climbers just switched places!

Sinn

Smash Lord
I am welcomed. I feel so...welcomed! And also loved <3

:: ahem ::

ANYWAY...Dynamism's comment makes me wonder if they would ever make a strategy game based on Smash Bros. Like a collectible card game, but more fun. They could use a lot of mechanics that wouldn't be as workable in a fighting game such as type weaknesses and size and whatnot.

And I agree on that costume point too. If they'd put both a male and female trainer in the update, it might have confused some people into thinking they were both the character at the same time, ala Ice Climbers. I remember someone brought up that the only reason it doesn't list the character as Red is because it's translated directly off the Japanese site where he has no official name, but I get the feeling that isn't the case...everything SEEMS to have a pretty finalized feel to it on the site. It doesn't seem like they're going to go back in and edit major parts of the updates in the future (I would think they'd instead just wait to release the information until it was set in stone). If that's the case, then it again begs the question of why would it be PT instead of Red? Even if there's no evidence that there will be alternate costumes yet, it DOES fit the theory, and is the one I want the most, so...I'ma keep believing it until told otherwise =3

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
Nana/Popo switch doesn't really count no, but who's to say they won't "diversify" this game beyond what we (the fans) see as it's limits. Maybe in the character selection box for Zelda, you're TP for half and OoT for the others. TP has more speed but OoT has Sheik and more power. (*that's a far stretch but still*)
Maybe moves can be slightly altered and "configured" to the NAME or colour...that would add new dimensions to this game that I bet most people won't even think about.
"Now I'll try this one, someone kick my *** with it in an online tourney, I got some new ideas with Mario, SWEET!!"

Sinn

Smash Lord
I considered the Nana/Popo thing too (I always use Nana as my controllable too), but they're still technically the same character either way.

And whether this is a reason to support alternate costumes or not...why the HELL did they make the PT character model so...NOT detailed? I mean, all the Pokémon look great, and they're obviously more important since they're the ones you control and PT will be harder to see in the background anyway...but would it REALLY have been that taxing to make the model a little more detailed? Was that stretching it too much? Is it the fact that there are three Pokémon models to deal with AND the PT? The world may never know...

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how the female trainer as an alt costume wouldn't work... they already have a model to work off of, and sound clips are not that hard to add in. Also, maybe its not that it refers to one character that changes gender, but more than one person- Pokemon trainer is a generic term could refer to a boy or a girl.

maybe that's why Sakurai is calling the character, just "pokemon trainer" instead of outwardly refering ot him as "Red."

one other thing is that Sakurai did say the need for more female characters- that, even if it was just an alt costume and not an entirely different character, would technically be helping to solve that problem

Sinn

Smash Lord
O_O

Where the Hell did they get those three pictures of them fighting from?

Good lord, Charizard looks so **q*ing badass...

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
also, @ Sinn(im agreeing with you), just because the character looks like someone doesn't mean they have to talk like them. Remeber Daisy and Wario in Melee(and wario in 64)? And just becuase Link wore black didnt mean he was mute. My point being this : PT can look like Red, Blue, Gary or Brock but that doesn't mean he has to sound like them(will he talk anyways?)

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
same thing mario does when he punches...it get a bit bigger. =p

But nifty attacks from both charazard and ivy!

...And is it just me or does PT forever have a pokeball grafed to his hand? 0_o?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I wonder what will happen if Squirtle is holding an item and you switch to Ivysaur. Will Ivysaur be holding the same item Squirtle just had. Or maybe Squirtle keeps it and still has it when you bring him back out. That'd be cool, then you could store items.

Bark252

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bark252
Charizard looks like he'll be causing so major wreckage. I love the new pic from the scans.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
I wonder what will happen if Squirtle is holding an item and you switch to Ivysaur. Will Ivysaur be holding the same item Squirtle just had. Or maybe Squirtle keeps it and still has it when you bring him back out. That'd be cool, then you could store items.
That's probably one of the best questions I've heard lately...

Personally, I don't see why they couln't keep hold to thier items...It'd make sence

I mean....I don't know how they'd pass it to each other when switching...unless they just drop it..but that'd seem a bit unnecessary....pokemon can hold items in thier pokeball, right?

Top Bottom