• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Illusion not imposter.
It still won't break it through a substitute unless it goes through the substitute.. (wasn't sure if the first part was for this or not :lol:)
You also can't give zoroark night Daze because it's the only Pokemon that can get it (not including the Sketcher). It is Gimmicky but under the right circumstances which most players are probably not going to take the time on it could work but it's just hard to setup if there's no screens up and there are better Pokemon to use with better bulk (the surprise factor of it could catch them off guard if pulled correctly though..)
Apologies; I've always got the names of those two confused.

Though I am happy to continue this conversation elsewhere (though I don't feel like we're really in disagreement here) I feel we're beginning to drift away from the thread at hand.

So, err...Vikavolt vs Galvantula, anyone?

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
So, err...Vikavolt vs Galvantula, anyone?
it depends on whether or not Vika has access to sticky web, can deal more damage than a compound eyes thunder from Galvantula that can hit as reliably, or if it becomes the physical variant of Galvantula. it just needs to do something better than what Galvantula can already do to see some usage.. it's pretty much the same thing as what can Alolan Marowak can do versus what Chandelure already provides that will make it stand out

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In regards to Grubbin and its evolutions, I might have some speculative thoughts about their base stats, though I'm quite sure that the actual stats are going to be different.

Grubbin
HP: 45
Attack: 55
Defense: 45
SP ATK: 55
SP DEF: 45
Speed: 55
Total: 300

Charjabug
HP: 55
Attack: 65
Defense: 95
SP ATK: 85
SP DEF: 55
Total: 410

Vikavolt
HP: 65
Attack: 95
Defense: 65
SP ATK: 105
SP DEF: 65
Speed: 125
Total: 520

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Can the Alolan Pikachu, Pichu, Cubone, and Persian be released now....please ;v;. (and Megas. Don't do this Gamefreak. Don't have a good idea and throw it away like No Man's Sky did! (Too soon?))

I hope they do another reveal soon. It feels like forever ago they announced the next alolan forms. We are only 3 months away from release and th suspense is killing me.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
So Cubone is looking like it'll be the only Pokemon to not have a similar type to its evolved form not counting Eevee and it's multiple evolved forms.. any speculation that Alolan Persian is going to be a dual type? Maybe dark/Fairy?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
In regards to Grubbin and its evolutions, I might have some speculative thoughts about their base stats, though I'm quite sure that the actual stats are going to be different.

Grubbin

Charjabug

Vikavolt
My concern is that the line gets a BST in line with the regional bugs from other regions, which is closer to 400 than 500, which would be very underwhelming for an otherwise interesting Pokemon.

I'd also be tempted to redistribute stats to make it a bit bulkier, but that's a preference rather than a prediction.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I think they already deconfirmed Alolan Cubone and Alolan Pikachu (and most likely Pichu, as well).

Persian is almost guaranteed to happen, though.
....can I get a link? That seems absurd.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
....can I get a link? That seems absurd.
Did you not watch the Japanese trailer's?

It literally shows a regular cubone

It also shows a regular exeggcute

And I think it shows a regular Pikachu, but regardless regular pikachu has already been confirmed to be one mele mele island

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569

Grubbin

Charjabug

Vikavolt
I'm still hoping it'll end up as a physical attacker. It just feels like one of those pinsir or Heracross types..

And I think it shows a regular Pikachu, but regardless regular pikachu has already been confirmed to be one mele mele island
Iirc the one Pikachu we've seen in the trailer was evolved from a Pichu unless they got another one of course..

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

I don't need the attitude.

It just seems odd. Guess we will wait and see.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My concern is that the line gets a BST in line with the regional bugs from other regions, which is closer to 400 than 500, which would be very underwhelming for an otherwise interesting Pokemon.

I'd also be tempted to redistribute stats to make it a bit bulkier, but that's a preference rather than a prediction.
I do know that the Sewaddle family is one of the stronger Bug-type families, as Sewaddle's base stat total is 310, while Leavanny's base stat total is 500. It's always possible that Grubbin and Charjabug will be far from useless themselves, especially if you want to take advantage of Charjabug's Battery ability.

In regards to my base stat inputs for Vikavolt, it would basically be a fast and frail sweeper who can either be a physical or special attacker, with special attack being slightly higher. If it gets Swords Dance, however, then you could go physical, but it should be noted that Vikavolt could potentially get Bug Buzz to go with Thunderbolt; you'd basically get to choose between Wild Charge, X-Scissor (or U-turn), Thunderbolt, or Bug Buzz for STAB options.

I'm still hoping it'll end up as a physical attacker. It just feels like one of those pinsir or Heracross types..
If Vikavolt gets Swords Dance, it could potentially be used physically with Wild Charge and X-Scissor (or U-turn). But there's also the chance of seeing Vikavolt get access to Bug Buzz, so it would appreciate having a good special attack stat as well.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I hope we get some new Technician Pokemon. My experience of them is largely with the likes of Scizor and Weavile, but there's so many exciting things a well designed Technician Pokemon could do due to the weird and wonderful effects moves start getting as they reduce in base power. Top picks would be:

1) Storm Throw - Fighting - Physical - 60BP - 100ACC - Always results in a critical hit.

Between the two x1.5 multipliers given by the critical hit and Technician, this move reaches a whopping 135 Base Power with no negative repercussions! On top of all this it ignores any positive defense modifiers.

Frost Breath is a special equivalent, though its distribution is limited to Ice types which is unappealing to say the least.

2) Rock Tomb - Rock - Physical - 60BP - 95ACC - Lowers the opponents speed by one stage

This suddenly becomes the most reliable physical rock type move in the game with only 10 less base power than Stone Edge and significantly more accuracy, but the Speed drop is the real seller, being an incredible nuisance to any offensive checks.

Honourable mention to Bulldoze for being a Ground type alternative though with much worse distribution.

3) Acid Spray - Poison - Special - 40BP - 100ACC - Sharply lowers the opponents Special Defense.

It only reaches a meagre 60 base power with Technician but it's outstanding secondary effect means this move would utterly decimate defensive switch-ins when paired with appropriate coverage moves.

4) Flame Charge - Fire - Physical - 50BP - 100ACC - Raises the users speed one stage.

This reaches the same base power as Fire Punch, with an incredibly useful boost in Speed on top.

5) Bonemerang - Ground - Physical - 50BP - 90 ACC - Strikes Twice

With Technician this hits the same 150BP/90ACC stats as Hyper Beam, without repercussions and more effective against Substitute and Sturdy users.

Honourable mention to Dual Chop; it only reaches 120BP total but isn't a signature move.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I hope we get some new Technician Pokemon. My experience of them is largely with the likes of Scizor and Weavile, but there's so many exciting things a well designed Technician Pokemon could do due to the weird and wonderful effects moves start getting as they reduce in base power. Top picks would be:

1) Storm Throw - Fighting - Physical - 60BP - 100ACC - Always results in a critical hit.

Between the two x1.5 multipliers given by the critical hit and Technician, this move reaches a whopping 135 Base Power with no negative repercussions! On top of all this it ignores any positive defense modifiers.

Frost Breath is a special equivalent, though its distribution is limited to Ice types which is unappealing to say the least.

2) Rock Tomb - Rock - Physical - 60BP - 95ACC - Lowers the opponents speed by one stage

This suddenly becomes the most reliable physical rock type move in the game with only 10 less base power than Stone Edge and significantly more accuracy, but the Speed drop is the real seller, being an incredible nuisance to any offensive checks.

Honourable mention to Bulldoze for being a Ground type alternative though with much worse distribution.

3) Acid Spray - Poison - Special - 40BP - 100ACC - Sharply lowers the opponents Special Defense.

It only reaches a meagre 60 base power with Technician but it's outstanding secondary effect means this move would utterly decimate defensive switch-ins when paired with appropriate coverage moves.

4) Flame Charge - Fire - Physical - 50BP - 100ACC - Raises the users speed one stage.

This reaches the same base power as Fire Punch, with an incredibly useful boost in Speed on top.

With Technician this hits the same 150BP/90ACC stats as Hyper Beam, without repercussions and more effective against Substitute and Sturdy users.

Honourable mention to Dual Chop; it only reaches 120BP total but isn't a signature move.
Weavile doesn't have technician.. (pressure and pickpocket)
there's also Fell Stinger if it gets a boost in its base power.. and makes it usable on more Pokemon..

Last edited:

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames

I'd love for some technician pokes to get things like;

Draining kiss - Would put it's power on par with Drain Punch and Giga drain, while healing more than either. I guess Parabolic charge counts for this too but... It's a kinda crappily distributed move.
Ominous/Silver Wind, Ancient Power - While the PP is crappy, I would love to see a 90 BP move that can boost all your stats. Technically Scyther/Scizor get silver wind, but it sucks for them.
Shadow Punch - So there can finally be a viable 80+ BP physical ghost type move.
Metal claw - The attack creep with this would be pretty cool.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Newest item on the list of things I'd like to see from Sun/Moon: more variants of the move Freeze Dry. I wouldn't like it for every type as I think for stronger offensive types it risks being far too powerful - Thousand Arrows (New Zygarde signature move, 90BP, Ground type that ignores Flying type and Levitate) is an example. But for weaker offensive types, I'd love to see it implemented the same way as Freeze-Dry as it can make these types much more viable whilst the lower BP stops them outclassing the standard variants of the move.

One I'd particularly like to see is a Poison type variant that hits Steel types for super effective damage. It's a move that basically writes itself in flavour and would make Poison type legitimately good for attacking with, with the following stats:

SE: Grass, Steel, Fairy
NVE: Poison, Ground, Rock, Ghost

That's still a pretty well balanced type chart, and if the move became popular I think the balancing between Steel types and traditionally weaker defensive types like Rock would be really interesting to see.

Bug also wholeheartedly deserves some kind of move like this, but I'm not sure what resisting type it should be at the expense of or what kind of flavour such a move would be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thousand Arrows would definitely feel superior to Earthquake with its ability to damage Flying-types and levitating Pokemon. However, since Thousand Arrows can hit multiple targets in a double/triple battle, Wide Guard can pretty much stop that attack in its tracks.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Thousand Waves would definitely feel superior to Earthquake with its ability to damage Flying-types and levitating Pokemon. However, since Thousand Arrows can hit multiple targets in a double/triple battle, Wide Guard can pretty much stop that attack in its tracks.
Isn't that the case with earthquake as well?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Isn't that the case with earthquake as well?
Yes, Earthquake is blocked by Wide Guard as well. However, Thousand Arrows does not target your own teammates, so despite being weaker in power, you can use it without having to make a teammate use Protect or Wide Guard.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Yes, Earthquake is blocked by Wide Guard as well. However, Thousand Arrows does not target your own teammates, so despite being weaker in power, you can use it without having to make a teammate use Protect or Wide Guard.
Thousand Arrows is ridiculous full stop. It has perfect coverage with either Fire or Flying type and has too good stats for the added effect. I genuinely think it has the potential to make Zygarde more popular than Garchomp upon release because it laughs at the usual counters (Skarmory, Togekiss).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thousand Arrows is ridiculous full stop. It has perfect coverage with either Fire or Flying type and has too good stats for the added effect. I genuinely think it has the potential to make Zygarde more popular than Garchomp upon release because it laughs at the usual counters (Skarmory, Togekiss).
And if you can get Zygarde to change into its complete forme, it becomes much more lethal. Sadly, even with Thousand Arrows, 50% forme Zygarde would still be inferior to Garchomp, since it's slower and less powerful offensively.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
And if you can get Zygarde to change into its complete forme, it becomes much more lethal. Sadly, even with Thousand Arrows, 50% forme Zygarde would still be inferior to Garchomp, since it's slower and less powerful offensively.
Zygarde might currently be an inferior Garchomp but with Thousand Arrows? No way. I think you underestimate the niche this move gives. Here's a list of OU Pokemon currently immune to Ground:

- Charizard (Base and Mega Y) *
- Dragonite
- Gengar*
- Gliscor
- Landorus-T
- Latias
- Latias
- Pinsir (Mega)
- Rotom-W*
- Skarmory*
- Talonflame*
- Thundurus*
- Tornadus-T
- Zapdos*

Stars represent ones now hit super effectively. There's more UU Pokemon you'll see, such as Togekiss, that this is incredibly useful against.

It's a game changer. So many checks you'd use against the pair won't work against Zygarde now.

Theres also thoughts of moveset coverage. Dragon/Ground now becomes almost perfect in terms of coverage, only resisted by the very uncommon Bug/Fairy and Grass/Fairy types, meaning Zygarde can do a lot of work with just two attacks and has a lot of free space. On the other hand, Garchomp needs Rock and Fire type coverage to break through the likes of Togekiss and Skarmory respectively.

Add this to some key other moves Zygarde has access to (Dragon Dance, Coil, Extremespeed, Glare, Thousand Waves) and it has a very definite niche over Garchomp. There's certainly some other stuff he could really use (Dragon Rush needs to be added as a TM move to use with Coil for example) but Thousand Arrows is a legitimate contender for the best attacking move since Sacred Fire. It's that good.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'd Say Zygarde will definitely be OU if not banned maybe depending on how they handle his forms.

And when do you think the next news drop is? Before Corocoro or from it?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd Say Zygarde will definitely be OU if not banned maybe depending on how they handle his forms.

And when do you think the next news drop is? Before Corocoro or from it?
Assuming that Zygarde has a 0 IV value and 0 EVs for HP, the 10% forme's base HP may be 65, while the complete forme's base HP is 227 (3rd highest base HP in the series).

In fact, a base stat spread like the following could show how lethal the complete forme could be, and how it would be a serious mistake to let Power Construct activate.

Keep note that the following is just speculation.

Zygarde (Complete Forme)
HP: 227
Attack: 180
Defense: 121
SP ATK: 102
SP DEF: 95
Speed: 115
Total: 840

Surpassing even Mega Rayquaza and Mega Mewtwo X/Y, in regards to base stat total, Zygarde's Complete Forme would surely be a huge threat if you're required to activate Power Construct to get that forme.

In fact, the Power Construct ability could even end up getting the same treatment as Mega Rayquaza in that it's banned from competitive matches, simply because all you need is a Focus Sash, max HP, and an attack that could potentially 1-hit KO Zygarde, and then you've pretty much unleashed a mighty force that not many Pokemon can safely take down if they don't have the right attacks for the job.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
If the complete form gets an 840 BST I'll eat my hat. Though it still wouldn't be as broken as Mega Rayquaza.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If the complete form gets an 840 BST I'll eat my hat. Though it still wouldn't be as broken as Mega Rayquaza.
Still, considering that Zygarde's complete forme has a lot of HP, it could potentially survive getting 1-hit KO'd against most Ice-type physical attacks. Even with the Choice Band, a Jolly Weavile would not be 100% guaranteed to make the 1-hit KO with Ice Punch. But since the transformation to complete forme apparently doesn't fully heal Zygarde, worrying about making the 1-hit KO against it is pretty much a moot point.

I should probably point out though, that of all the Pokemon that can potentially compete with and take down complete forme Zygarde, Avalugg is probably going to be the one who can wipe it out without losing half of its max HP from a single attack; with 252 EVs and a 31 IV value for Attack, an Avalanche from Avalugg would be a guaranteed 1-hit KO if its power is doubled.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Still, considering that Zygarde's complete forme has a lot of HP, it could potentially survive getting 1-hit KO'd against most Ice-type physical attacks. Even with the Choice Band, a Jolly Weavile would not be 100% guaranteed to make the 1-hit KO with Ice Punch. But since the transformation to complete forme apparently doesn't fully heal Zygarde, worrying about making the 1-hit KO against it is pretty much a moot point.

I should probably point out though, that of all the Pokemon that can potentially compete with and take down complete forme Zygarde, Avalugg is probably going to be the one who can wipe it out without losing half of its max HP from a single attack; with 252 EVs for Attack, Avalanche would be a guaranteed 1-hit KO if its power is doubled.
Zygarde's Complete Forme currently has no confirmed stats. It also requires you to go below 50% HP for it to take effect, so you'd be better looking at which Pokemon can deal 50% in one go - which with a 4x weakness to Ice, is probably quite a lot regardless of how the stats go down.

Beyond this, I'd put money on the fact Zygarde's HP won't change when switching into Complete Forme, because there's absolutely no precedent for that happening. We have precedent for mid-battle form changes - Darmanitan's Zen Mode, Meloetta's Pirouette form, Aegislash's Stance Change - and every single one of them retains the same base HP throughout the change for consistency.

A much more realistic change would be +100 across the stats, with HP unchanged.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Zygarde's Complete Forme currently has no confirmed stats. It also requires you to go below 50% HP for it to take effect, so you'd be better looking at which Pokemon can deal 50% in one go - which with a 4x weakness to Ice, is probably quite a lot regardless of how the stats go down.

Beyond this, I'd put money on the fact Zygarde's HP won't change when switching into Complete Forme, because there's absolutely no precedent for that happening. We have precedent for mid-battle form changes - Darmanitan's Zen Mode, Meloetta's Pirouette form, Aegislash's Stance Change - and every single one of them retains the same base HP throughout the change for consistency.

A much more realistic change would be +100 across the stats, with HP unchanged.
When Zygarde was shown to change forms there was an increase to HP iirc so the HP looks like its going to be increasing when it changes forms

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Apologies Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy , I stand corrected.
Don't worry about it. Some of my sources came from the Japanese trailer, which showed 10% forme Zygarde having a maximum of 125 HP at level 50, while complete forme Zygarde's maximum HP value was 287.

Anyway, when Zygarde transforms, not only does its max HP increase, but it apparently recovers a portion of its HP as well. How much it recovers is still unclear though, but perhaps the following information could explain the story.

In the Japanese trailer, 10% forme Zygarde had 5/125 HP before transforming, which is 4% of its max HP. Afterwards, complete forme Zygarde was shown having 167/287 HP, which is approximately 58% of its max HP. So perhaps the formula goes as follows...

10% Forme -> Complete Forme
1% HP -> 52% HP
2% HP -> 54% HP
3% HP -> 56% HP
4% HP -> 58% HP
5% HP -> 60% HP
10% HP -> 70% HP
15% HP -> 80% HP
20% HP -> 90% HP
25%+ HP -> 100% HP

If Zygarde has 25% max HP or better, it would be fully healed upon transforming into complete forme Zygarde, but if its current HP drops below 25% before transforming, then some of its HP would not be restored.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The amount of HP it gains is equal to the difference between its base HP stat and its lower form's base HP stat. As you mentioned, 10% has an base HP stat of 125 while Complete has a base HP stat of 287, 287-125 is 162. If you add that to the remaining HP 10% had in the Japanese trailer, then you get the exact number that Complete had when it transformed as 5+165=167.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The amount of HP it gains is equal to the difference between its base HP stat and its lower form's base HP stat. As you mentioned, 10% has an base HP stat of 125 while Complete has a base HP stat of 287, 287-125 is 162. If you add that to the remaining HP 10% had in the Japanese trailer, then you get the exact number that Complete had when it transformed as 5+165=167.
This doesn't exactly answer how much HP that complete forme Zygarde will recover when it changes from its 50% forme though. Probably not quite as much, considering that the base HP difference is smaller.

Still, we don't precisely know how the HP recovery ordeal will be handled for the Power Construct ability.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It looks like Alolan Arcanine might have been deconfirmed

What could that mean for the rumors?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It looks like Alolan Arcanine might have been deconfirmed

What could that mean for the rumors?
Well we don't know. The Chinese one is clearly valid, but has some incorrect phrasings. We also don't know if that normal arcanine means anything. We will have to just wait and see.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Here's the link to the page on the Japanese website for anyone curious: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/pokemon/
They didn't post Horsea or Jigglypuff yet both of them are obtainable in the wild in EVERY main handheld Pokemon game so it's extremely unlikely you won't be able to catch either of them, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and call it that we're probably going to get Alola Horsea and Alola Jigglypuff reveals eventually.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
So all of the Alolan forms currently revealed are Gen I... as are all the confirmed returners from this new update.

For the love of Pokemon, GF, give the other generations some love! I and III have had plenty throughout Gen VI and I presume IV will whenever the next remake comes, but at the very least throw Gen II a bone.

Top Bottom