• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Stadium 2: Full Analysis, Gameplay Implications, and a really fair stage

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
While that's certainly annoying, it is by no means gamebreaking, or even affecting the stage's overall balance.

The transition can be waited out if necessary, and as this appears quite difficult, I rarely expect to see this in practice.

If this counts against PS2, THIS counts against Halberd.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
That is a nice trick, but like Raziek said it doesn't appear broken or that game breaking.

The Halberd one is worse, imo.

Yikarur

Smash Master
it isn't gamebreaking, I didn't post it to say it's gamebreaking.
Temporarily Stalling Tactics (a transformation isn't really long there) can just be waited to end.

The Ledge Trick works like, you roll with Yoshi to the edge of the rock, you're standing on the left side of the rock and roll right until you don't go further. Then you jump + downB twice and you're in.

The Problem with the halberd one's is that the stage is in this state a loooong time :/

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The only thing Yoshi can do is eggtoss which sucks in such position. And certain character like MK can just attack inside. This isn't like the Halberd glitch and should be allowed. It only lasts like 40 seconds and isn't even hard to beat.

NNID
Budget_Player
While that's certainly annoying, it is by no means gamebreaking, or even affecting the stage's overall balance.

The transition can be waited out if necessary, and as this appears quite difficult, I rarely expect to see this in practice.

If this counts against PS2, THIS counts against Halberd.
The Problem with the halberd one's is that the stage is in this state a loooong time :/
This. And yeah, it's definitely not gamebreaking, but it's a useful piece of info. I'll add it to the OP.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Thank you BPC for this amazing read once again! This post convinced me enough to make PS2 a starter. All your trouble finally paid off :D

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Theorycrafting made me playtest the stage to prove BPC correct and make it legal and then a starter.
I know a lot about this stage from experience and it's damn good stage.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
More TOs need to give this stage a try as a starter. At least it'll be CP in all of the US.

Yikarur

Smash Master
CP for sure but I'm not sure about starter (at least in 5 Starter System, in 7 Starter System is should be standard)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
7 starter system:

SV
FD
BF
PS1
YI
Lylat
Halberd

Definitely won't see PS2 as a starter in North America ever. So yea.

I guess Europe can do it if they want though.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
PS2 > Halberd
PS2 > Halberd > Final Destination
Just sayin

7 starter system:

SV
FD
BF
PS1
YI
Lylat
Halberd

Definitely won't see PS2 as a starter in North America ever. So yea.

I guess Europe can do it if they want though.
You know, this actually CAN be changed....

ban metaknight
I just have no comments about that....
Ban RushDrill so MK goes under Halberd. Problem solved.

NNID
Budget_Player
PS2 > Halberd
PS2 >>> Halberd.
PS2 >>>>> FD.
PS2 > BF, SV, LC, PS1
etc.

PS2 is almost certainly the most fair and balanced stage in the game. If not the most, then certainly in the same tier as PS1, SV, and BF. But then again, you guys know my stance on starters.

ban metaknight
Troll harder.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I disagree about FD, but I think I've said that multiple times before.

PS2 should be legal at worst CP, it could be a starter but again I think more experience on the stage and it's match-ups are needed.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I got experience and playtesting on this stage. So far I haven't seen a single character who isn't OK on this stage. No *****, no crappy chars either. It's awesome. And I used to think the stage is ridiculous before BPC made this post. How could I >_>

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I want to see tournaments with it first. Most because I want to see how different mains play here and see what they can figure out.

I do agree it's not that bad and as I said should be legal, but I do trust the mains of said characters and want to see if they thing it is a good or bad stage for themselves.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
There's a few of mine in the OP of the thread, and I'll have more now that I can get some recording done over Christmas break.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Well that does help, but I mean in the sense I don't think anyone knows who is good or bad here for certainty, I hear Lucas likes this stage.

I don't think this stage is going to turn out that bad or give anyone a large advantage, it is capable of being a starter like PS1 is, I just think it isn't explored enough to say for certainty.

Just me with my little concerns, I doubt anything bonkers is here so might as well help out and get sets recorded here as well. :)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I've heard Lucas likes it too, but I haven't yet seen much video evidence of Lucas being strong on the stage.

Not that a small sub-set of characters liking a stage has any bearing on a stage's starter status to begin with.

lolfd

Tesh

Smash Hero
This isn't a strong counterpick for anyone really. Maybe in some specific matchup you might use it in a Bo5 set, but any decent advantage you might get from these transformations winds up being easy to negate. Its basically the same as the other pokemon stadium. Its likely to just be a timeout stage.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
This stage can give small advantages to characters like sonic, lucas and wolf who aren't really hurt by any of the transformations.

But I mean, it's not close to the advantages YI(B) can give, or even PS1.
(and it's most likely the fairest stage in the game, the fact that when it's counterpick it's extremely rare for it to be played on should hint at that)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If there was to be only 1 starter, this would be it. Prove me wrong will ya? Oh yeah I forgot about FD! It has no obstacles and is flat so it's even and fair ground for everyone. :)

Browny

Smash Hater
Any videos of actual high level players having a match on this stage with a consequential outcome?

Id like to see how people act and treat the wind stage when money is on the line.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You won't find matches like that unless people actually legalize it somewhere that matters, Browny.

At least it being on the BBRC list is a start.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Don't people almost always strike to smashville?
When the only starters are FD, SV and BF they do.
Other than that no not almost always, I see a lot of matches start on YI(B) and PS1 at the tournaments I go to.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Having used 9 starters (BF, SV, YI, PS1, FD, Halberd, PS2, Siege, Lylat), I found most striking in my matches went to a choice between PS2 and usually SV.

Unless someone really dislikes it, I see it striked down to quite often.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I would. That'd be boring as all hell, kill the depth, drastically skew balance, and probably make me quit Brawl.

Top Bottom