• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon - The 5th Generation

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Recently, I've been wanting a more realistic looking game with the same familiar system rather than a bunch of tack-ons like "new formes (yes, that's the official spelling)". The DS is capable of sporting much greater graphics than seen in the 4th Generation. Bringing the series to the Wii could potentially hurt its following because of the concept of "Pocket Monsters" being a game that you can carry in your pocket. That's the reason that they haven't switched gears to the consoles for further Pokemon Generation development. While my feelings in this post utterly contradict many of my views in the OP, I want the game to remain handheld. Graphically, I'm tired of it feeling the same with very little growth between the Generations.

Look at Golden Sun for instance. That was a GBA game and it sported BEAUTIFUL graphics. With the DS, they could take Pokemon to the next level, with full 3D environments both in and out of battle, along with 3D characters and Pokemon. Keep the system, but the graphics need to feel like the "next generation", not just the gameplay.
I think the main adventures should stay on handheld (spinoff stories like Shadow Pokemon should stick to consoles), but I disagree with what you're saying for handhelds. They're capable of doing a lot of stuff with the DS. But if they make the original adventures full 3D, it's hardly Pokemon anymore. We'll probably never see anything 2D for Metroid again, and that's EXTREMELY disappointing. Now they're so desperate to do 3D yet try to convince Sonic fans that they're returning to his roots, so they're doing side-scrolling 3D! I hate that they're convinced that they have to push everything to its limits. 3D Pokemon sounds like a good idea to me initially, but I also anticipated Brawl without end for 8 months and got bored of it within a month and a half. Heck, Communism looks great on paper but doesn't work when it's put into action. Not that I'm trying to say 3D is like Communism, just an example of where things sound good, but don't work that well. I love the battle interface now. And if they change that on a handheld, they'll never go back. Pushing limits is how we got a lot of new games that have practically ruined franchises. Sonic and the Secret Rings, Metroid Prime: Hunters...it's horrifying to me. Graphics aren't that important to me except in the difference between 2D and 3D. There are games like Zelda that work perfectly with a transition to 3D, Mario as well. Then there are games that they try to change that just shouldn't.

I know I sound completely nuts, but you would too if the franchise that started you on video games got ruined by new technology and concepts (Sonic).

I'm all for pushing the graphics to be great, but in my opinion, it should remain an aerial view outside of battle with pseudo-3D, and sprites in-battle.

But we have no gameboy adapter thing for the Wii yet.
...The DS is wireless.

How do you think Pokemon Battle Revolution worked?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I think the main adventures should stay on handheld (spinoff stories like Shadow Pokemon should stick to consoles), but I disagree with what you're saying for handhelds. They're capable of doing a lot of stuff with the DS. But if they make the original adventures full 3D, it's hardly Pokemon anymore. We'll probably never see anything 2D for Metroid again, and that's EXTREMELY disappointing. Now they're so desperate to do 3D yet try to convince Sonic fans that they're returning to his roots, so they're doing side-scrolling 3D! I hate that they're convinced that they have to push everything to its limits. 3D Pokemon sounds like a good idea to me initially, but I also anticipated Brawl without end for 8 months and got bored of it within a month and a half. Heck, Communism looks great on paper but doesn't work when it's put into action. Not that I'm trying to say 3D is like Communism, just an example of where things sound good, but don't work that well. I love the battle interface now. And if they change that on a handheld, they'll never go back. Pushing limits is how we got a lot of new games that have practically ruined franchises. Sonic and the Secret Rings, Metroid Prime: Hunters...it's horrifying to me. Graphics aren't that important to me except in the difference between 2D and 3D. There are games like Zelda that work perfectly with a transition to 3D, Mario as well. Then there are games that they try to change that just shouldn't.

I know I sound completely nuts, but you would too if the franchise that started you on video games got ruined by new technology and concepts (Sonic).

I'm all for pushing the graphics to be great, but in my opinion, it should remain an aerial view outside of battle with pseudo-3D, and sprites in-battle.

...The DS is wireless.

How do you think Pokemon Battle Revolution worked?
In response to the DS being wireless:

Who knows. Maybe Nintendo made the DS and Wii wi-fi compatible. They probably did, actually. That's probably how Pokemon Ranch works.
I kinda realized that.

With your actual post:

I think Spire was referring to everything being modeled in 3-D, but still keeping the same top-down view like the original Pokemon games. I may be wrong though.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I think Spire was referring to everything being modeled in 3-D, but still keeping the same top-down view like the original Pokemon games. I may be wrong though.
That is what he meant, and I agree very much, because Ive seen as many games as you have that are 3-D for the DS. So if they took out some of the childish graphics then Pokemon would be quite a bit better

Spire

III
BRoomer

I think I misled you, but I may have been thinking a bit in diversion too. What I wanted in 3D is still the aerial view, but just taken to the next level in graphics. I want the battles to play as they always have, whether they be in 3D or not. I do support you about keeping sprites, but perhaps animating those sprites extensively would bring a lot more life to battles. I find myself to just look up and become distracted by really anything when I'm battling in Pokemon because the battles are so bland now. They have incorporated slight animations, but I'm talking fully-animated sprites. Also, they seem to be trying to make the battlefields feel more relevant to where you're fighting, and for the most part, they've succeeded very well, however... I would love to see each battle background become far more enhanced. It's definitely possible with the DS technology. I'm just tired of fighting on a relatively blank canvas, if you know what I mean.

As for the Sonic franchise, I appreciate the 2D games so much more, because those feel like Sonic, however (correct me if I'm wrong) the Sonic games on the GBA didn't do too well in sales. It's like by converting Sonic to 3D, they've trapped themselves, because all of the new-gen players only play that. At least they're listening to what players want - a 2D Sonic feel; and while the graphics may not reflect that, hopefully the gameplay will.

I've never been a Metroid fan, but the 2D Metroid games have always seemed more appealing to me than the 3D games, due to the overuse of first person shooters nowadays, despite its uniqueness. But, as history repeats itself, perhaps we'll have a new generation of 2D or "flat"- style games. More and more, these types of games are already being made (check out LostWinds if you haven't already) and still feel new, while retaining that home-warming 2D feel, regardless that it's in full 3D.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think I misled you, but I may have been thinking a bit in diversion too. What I wanted in 3D is still the aerial view, but just taken to the next level in graphics. I want the battles to play as they always have, whether they be in 3D or not. I do support you about keeping sprites, but perhaps animating those sprites extensively would bring a lot more life to battles. I find myself to just look up and become distracted by really anything when I'm battling in Pokemon because the battles are so bland now. They have incorporated slight animations, but I'm talking fully-animated sprites. Also, they seem to be trying to make the battlefields feel more relevant to where you're fighting, and for the most part, they've succeeded very well, however... I would love to see each battle background become far more enhanced. It's definitely possible with the DS technology. I'm just tired of fighting on a relatively blank canvas, if you know what I mean.
Wow...yeah, I was completely misled, but I'm pretty sure it was me, not you. I thought you meant full 3D, like Colosseum 3D. Obviously not as good graphics, but no 2D whatsoever. Sorry, my bad.

In that case, I agree. They really do need more animation. At the very least they could try to use some of the battle entrance frames for attacks. They could do a feature like Colosseum has, where there's an animation for physical attacks and an animation for special attacks.

And backgrounds, yeah...they are pretty bland. At least in special places like Spear Pillar and Turnback Cave, they could do something special with the background. I'm fairly certain that, once again, Colosseum does something like that, although I can't be positive. By that, I mean in special places, there's a special background, and they don't say "Hey! It's a cave! *insert generic cave background*".

As for the Sonic franchise, I appreciate the 2D games so much more, because those feel like Sonic, however (correct me if I'm wrong) the Sonic games on the GBA didn't do too well in sales. It's like by converting Sonic to 3D, they've trapped themselves, because all of the new-gen players only play that. At least they're listening to what players want - a 2D Sonic feel; and while the graphics may not reflect that, hopefully the gameplay will.
I'm pretty sure you're correct that the GBA games didn't do as well. I've heard Sonic Rush is like the original Sonic, but...it has a pyrokinetic cat, so I'm inclined to say that's the same as Nintendo Power claiming that Sonic and the Secret Rings brought Sonic back to his roots. What a load of BS that was. I don't know why, but I just didn't like the GBA games as much. They were loads better than the last two console games, but (and maybe it was just the sprites) they still didn't feel like Sonic. Then again, if they would stop adding characters already, perhaps that would stop...Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all the way. Everyone else can go away.
The one thing I can at least give Sega credit for is that they're trying to get their fans back, rather than settling for new fans. They're failing, but Nintendo is hardly trying anymore. They've got their new casual gamer audience and they're attracting new audiences and forcing long-time fans to adjust.
As for the new Sonic, I have doubts. All recent Sonic games have been a disappointment. Until they get their act together and prove that Sonic games are good again, I'm renting each game before I buy it. I'm not one to rent, but it's time I start, because I'm sick of blowing tons of money on an awful game.

I've never been a Metroid fan, but the 2D Metroid games have always seemed more appealing to me than the 3D games, due to the overuse of first person shooters nowadays, despite its uniqueness. But, as history repeats itself, perhaps we'll have a new generation of 2D or "flat"- style games. More and more, these types of games are already being made (check out LostWinds if you haven't already) and still feel new, while retaining that home-warming 2D feel, regardless that it's in full 3D.
Yeah, they can call them "1st person adventures" all they want; it's still a FPS. While I loved Prime, and Prime 2 was still pretty good, Prime 3 threw out the old notion of feeling alone, and they focused so much on Phazon that we didn't even get any other suits besides the ugly PED suit (and the Hazard Shield, which wasn't really a suit). It was fun, but not Metroid at all. And Super Metroid will always beat almost every game in existence. ;)
I suppose it's possible 2D will make a comeback, but for star Nintendo franchises, I see that as being unlikely. Unless they do one for WiiWare, Nintendo's whole attitude now seems to be to ignore old gamers since their newfound innovation got them a whole new audience.
As for LostWinds, I'll check it out. It sounds interesting, just from the title. :)

And yeah...before anyone says anything, I do take my video games very seriously. :laugh:

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I actually found both sonic rush and secret rings to be great games. Rush was a lot like the old games and rings had a touch of the old games added to a 3-D environment. Metroid, sonic,mario classic games all belong on DS. Wii is what they say it is, innovation. I didn't buy my wii to play all the classics again, that's one of the reasons I bought my DS.

My wii was for games that can pull of a 3-D environment and feel without ruining the reputation of the game. SMG was a great game (a little easy, yes but a fun experience none the less) as well as corruption (it was pretty hard and fun as well). There is also radiant Dawn ( a lot like PoR but was still VERY challenging, especially if you tried not to loss a single person). Those games are some of the games that make still hold onto my wii. Reverting back to 2-D/older version like games would really be a let down.

That's one of the reasons I'm upset with pokemon. It's a 2-D game that's trying to hard to turn 3-D. Torn world in platinum is fine as it's not a complete alteration. Over all pokemon so far maintains the pokemon roots but with higher graphic changes (more of an update would be far better). If Nintendo can pull off a better graphical look but not change it to 3-D then that would be great.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I actually found both sonic rush and secret rings to be great games. Rush was a lot like the old games and rings had a touch of the old games added to a 3-D environment. Metroid, sonic,mario classic games all belong on DS. Wii is what they say it is, innovation. I didn't buy my wii to play all the classics again, that's one of the reasons I bought my DS.

My wii was for games that can pull of a 3-D environment and feel without ruining the reputation of the game. SMG was a great game (a little easy, yes but a fun experience none the less) as well as corruption (it was pretty hard and fun as well). There is also radiant Dawn ( a lot like PoR but was still VERY challenging, especially if you tried not to loss a single person). Those games are some of the games that make still hold onto my wii. Reverting back to 2-D/older version like games would really be a let down.

That's one of the reasons I'm upset with pokemon. It's a 2-D game that's trying to hard to turn 3-D. Torn world in platinum is fine as it's not a complete alteration. Over all pokemon so far maintains the pokemon roots but with higher graphic changes (more of an update would be far better). If Nintendo can pull off a better graphical look but not change it to 3-D then that would be great.
Could you please explain to me what part of Secret Rings was like the classic games? Because I see nothing in there. Even the characters that should be the originals are made to be characters from the Arabian Nights. Heck, Dr. Robotnik isn't even the bad guy. There's a start for them; no more Erazor Djinn or Black Shadow, or Ibliss or whatever (I never played Sonic 2006), BRING ROBOTNIK BACK! And call him Ivo Robotnik again. No more Eggman. That's uncreativity at its max.
As for the Wii and DS, both of them should maintain the series'. I bought them both so I could continue to enjoy Nintendo games, not to get innovation. The DS is innovation too. Now they've gone on a Touch Screen kick, just like the entire Wii is a Motion Sensor kick. (I still cannot believe people demanded Motion Sensor for Radiant Dawn; are they COMPLETE morons? Have they ever played Fire Emblem before?) Mario Galaxy was too easy. People raved about it, and it won game of the year in Nintendo Power. For what? The only merit I see to that game is that it had uber graphics. And graphics don't make a game.
In any case, Nintendo isn't using either of their systems to maintain the classic games. The only real Metroid game (if you could even call it a real game) we've had for DS thus far is Hunters, which isn't 2D, nor is it at all Metroid. I really hope that the "Metroid Dread" Rumor is true, if only for the fact that it's supposed to be a 2D sequel to Fusion. 2D. That makes it win.
Phantom Hourglass also strayed from Zelda. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't even remotely difficult. I finished dungeons in 10-15 minutes, the bosses in one try and in about 2 minutes. Blasphemy.
Heck, Kirby is just about the only game that hasn't been ruined by innovation yet. Other than that, Pokemon is the closest to its origin.
I'm not asking for 2D on consoles, but heck, I'll take anything nowadays. Now that handhelds are 3D too, (what I'd give to go back to the SNES/Genesis era...) 2D games are few and far between.

The part that really irks me the most about Nintendo these days, though, is that they seem to be turning into every other game company. First they made their magazine just like any other game magazine. Then they stopped even making their own strategy guides (and while I'm no fan of strategy guides, Prima is awful. I got their Animal Crossing guide and it has the most outrageously wrong facts. For every holiday and event, it says you get something from the special character if your town has been good all year around. And Nintendo puts their seal of quality on these stratgy guides?). Then they shut down their forums (about 17 days after I joined, to boot). Now the focus of their games is what the console has to offer. They're sacrificing the game quality for motion sensor, just as Sony and Microsoft sacrifice game quality for graphics. Argh...it makes me so angry. Why have you abandoned us, Nintendo!?!

Wow, I'm really on a roll with ranting today.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm really disappointed in Sega handing off Sonic to Bioware to make a Sonic RPG. How anti-Sonic can you get? I hate the idea, and while it may be "fresh and new, and innovative," it does not have an ounce of the Sonic feel to it. Even the 3D Sonic games feel more like it than this game. Reminds me of Sonic 3D blast - which was a horrible game.

Now, I too am a little bothered by the amount of new characters being introduced, however... if they made a great, 2D, classic-style Sonic game, but bringing in these new characters, each with their own style of playing and perhaps their own storyline, I would approve. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Cream (ugh), Rouge, Jet, Espio, and the others would all [for the most part] be welcomed to a classic-style Sonic game, whether they be playable or as villains. Something catches my eye about this Jet character. He's a sharp, green bird, and I kind of like him (never played as him in whatever game he comes from). Anyways, I have to split. Back to Pokemans.

The part that really irks me the most about Nintendo these days, though, is that they seem to be turning into every other game company. First they made their magazine just like any other game magazine. Then they stopped even making their own strategy guides (and while I'm no fan of strategy guides, Prima is awful. I got their Animal Crossing guide and it has the most outrageously wrong facts. For every holiday and event, it says you get something from the special character if your town has been good all year around. And Nintendo puts their seal of quality on these stratgy guides?). Then they shut down their forums (about 17 days after I joined, to boot). Now the focus of their games is what the console has to offer. They're sacrificing the game quality for motion sensor, just as Sony and Microsoft sacrifice game quality for graphics. Argh...it makes me so angry. Why have you abandoned us, Nintendo!?!
Cheers! A great read. I hate Nintendo Power now. It's so ****ing bland. I loved the warming style of the old Nintendo Powers (and is why I keep those on my shelf, but keep the new ones in my closet). Player's Pulse was so great. Seeing all of the good (and bad) artwork on letters was great. I read in the last issue that they changed it to just "Pulse" because they wanted to look official and not kid-friendly anymore. I miss the vibrant color that all of the pages had - along with the many pics, and packed information. They decided to cut all that for white space (a policy that Nintendo Power was COMPLETELY against back in the day) because it looks cleaner and more inviting to a general audience. Total dickage right there. *******s.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Ya I dislike Sonic RPG as well. Like I said for the DS I play the old classic type games that we had in th old days. Even for wii it would be terrible as, like I said, it has little to no similarity to the sonic franchise.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm really disappointed in Sega handing off Sonic to Bioware to make a Sonic RPG. How anti-Sonic can you get? I hate the idea, and while it may be "fresh and new, and innovative," it does not have an ounce of the Sonic feel to it. Even the 3D Sonic games feel more like it than this game. Reminds me of Sonic 3D blast - which was a horrible game.
Actually, I liked 3D Blast. It was a little bizarre, but it kept the same concept. The only thing that bugged me is that I could NEVER beat the game. The Final Fight was like, never-ending. And once you play all the way through a game once only to die, your inspiration to play the game dies for about a year.

But yeah, I'm not even going to bother renting the Sonic RPG. I think the only way we'll be able to knock it into the game companies' heads that we don't want all of these stupid spinoffs like Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, Sonic RPG, Metroid Prime Hunters, etc, is to do a video game boycott for like a year. If we could actually pull that off, it might actually work. Even with their new audience, their sales are going to drop incredibly if real gamers (whom they neglect now) aren't supporting them. But you know that wouldn't work. There's no way we could get the whole gaming community to boycott them. I could easily do it; heck, I have pretty much, without meaning to. It's been a while since I bought a game other then retro, which they're not making money off of, nor is it the type of game I'd like to boycott. That's what I want to see again. Super Metroid wins.

Now, I too am a little bothered by the amount of new characters being introduced, however... if they made a great, 2D, classic-style Sonic game, but bringing in these new characters, each with their own style of playing and perhaps their own storyline, I would approve. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Cream (ugh), Rouge, Jet, Espio, and the others would all [for the most part] be welcomed to a classic-style Sonic game, whether they be playable or as villains. Something catches my eye about this Jet character. He's a sharp, green bird, and I kind of like him (never played as him in whatever game he comes from). Anyways, I have to split. Back to Pokemans.
Yeah, no Cream. Or Shadow. He fails. Some characters might be fine, Espio I'd be more okay with since he's pretty cool and has been around since the Sega 32x or whatever it was called, Jet is pretty cool as well (he's from Sonic Riders, by the way). I would welcome some characters, but none of the newest characters either. I'd still appreciate a game with just Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles the most...but if they could pull off a classic-type game with the other characters, I'd be happy. If they have to go 3D, the thing I'd love the absolute most is a 3D remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. My god, that game was epic. The 3D Green Hill Zone in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was so awesome, and a 3D remake of another classic game would be awesome. I feel like Sonic 3 & Knuckles was absolutely ignored, but it was like G/S/C; it had great length, and it still held the great qualities of the original.
One of the things I think could make the game feel really like the originals is if they didn't make the game so plot heavy. I know that a game with no text is frowned upon these days, but I think that was really great for the games. And I think that the way the cutscenes portrayed the plot without words in those days was great, like when you were enemies with Knuckles the whole game, and he finds out that the Master Emerald is being stolen and attacks Dr. Robotnik...then he shocks Knuckles. I mean, that was powerful even without words. But maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

Cheers! A great read. I hate Nintendo Power now. It's so ****ing bland. I loved the warming style of the old Nintendo Powers (and is why I keep those on my shelf, but keep the new ones in my closet). Player's Pulse was so great. Seeing all of the good (and bad) artwork on letters was great. I read in the last issue that they changed it to just "Pulse" because they wanted to look official and not kid-friendly anymore. I miss the vibrant color that all of the pages had - along with the many pics, and packed information. They decided to cut all that for white space (a policy that Nintendo Power was COMPLETELY against back in the day) because it looks cleaner and more inviting to a general audience. Total dickage right there. *******s.
Yeah, I also resent the fact that the new Editor-in-Chief replies to letters, and how even before that they got kind of mean and didn't answer questions sometimes. I mean, that was annoying, but Chris Slate is BEYOND mean. It's like you can tell he's trying to maintain their same way of replying to leters but he's failing, because he's a real jerk about it. Almost every picture of artwork sent in he's like "That's very...special!" I want to punch him in the face when he says that. But the thing I REALLY resent the most is this comment he made;

Chris Slate said:
I regularly get letters from a very vocal minority who only want to see games made for die-hard fans, who see the widening appeal of crossover titles like Wii Sports and Guitar Hero as some kind of threat. I say, as long as the games are fun, the more the merrier.
There are so many things wrong with this.

Minority: So people that like real games are only few? Really?
Only want to see games made for die-hard fans: No, we DON'T want to see games made ONLY for Casual Gamers. Some would be fine.
Who see the...as a threat: We see the fact that those are Nintendo's only games anymore as a threat to gaming, yes.

Another thing that irked me was this;

Chris Slate said:
I don't think it's a coincidence that the GameCube, Nintendo's least successful console, was also its least innovative--it was essentially an N64 with better graphics.
The reason the GameCube itself was so non-innovative is because the games had substance. They didn't rely on what the system had to make the game have appeal. I think the GameCube had some of the best games yet. The only reason it wasn't as popular is because Xbox/PS2 fans saw it as a kiddy system and it didn't attract the casual gamers they have now. In any case, my mom has enjoyed Animal Crossing more than the Wii. She's played the Wii all of once, while she's practically addicted to Animal Crossing. I gave her the GameCube so she could play that. She got a DS just for it. They think they know what everyone wants, and they don't.

Argh...I'm so tempted to send an angry letter into them telling them everything they're doing wrong. And yell my head off at Chris Slate.

I'm also tempted to send in a letter about their monthly topic, favorite game system and why, and tell them it's the SNES because the old games will always be the best. But it might be late in the month to send it in. If I send it in now, I might be able to send it in in time. But no guarantees about actually getting it in the magazine, as I'll basically be all anti-Wii about it as much as I can without saying that directly.

Sorry if I'm coming off as really aggressive...as I've said, I get sort of intense about video games, with this topic.

...Jeez, looking back up at my post...WALL OF TEXT...:laugh:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Actually, I liked 3D Blast. It was a little bizarre, but it kept the same concept. The only thing that bugged me is that I could NEVER beat the game. The Final Fight was like, never-ending. And once you play all the way through a game once only to die, your inspiration to play the game dies for about a year.

But yeah, I'm not even going to bother renting the Sonic RPG. I think the only way we'll be able to knock it into the game companies' heads that we don't want all of these stupid spinoffs like Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, Sonic RPG, Metroid Prime Hunters, etc, is to do a video game boycott for like a year. If we could actually pull that off, it might actually work. Even with their new audience, their sales are going to drop incredibly if real gamers (whom they neglect now) aren't supporting them. But you know that wouldn't work. There's no way we could get the whole gaming community to boycott them. I could easily do it; heck, I have pretty much, without meaning to. It's been a while since I bought a game other then retro, which they're not making money off of, nor is it the type of game I'd like to boycott. That's what I want to see again. Super Metroid wins.

Yeah, no Cream. Or Shadow. He fails. Some characters might be fine, Espio I'd be more okay with since he's pretty cool and has been around since the Sega 32x or whatever it was called, Jet is pretty cool as well (he's from Sonic Riders, by the way). I would welcome some characters, but none of the newest characters either. I'd still appreciate a game with just Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles the most...but if they could pull off a classic-type game with the other characters, I'd be happy. If they have to go 3D, the thing I'd love the absolute most is a 3D remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. My god, that game was epic. The 3D Green Hill Zone in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was so awesome, and a 3D remake of another classic game would be awesome. I feel like Sonic 3 & Knuckles was absolutely ignored, but it was like G/S/C; it had great length, and it still held the great qualities of the original.
One of the things I think could make the game feel really like the originals is if they didn't make the game so plot heavy. I know that a game with no text is frowned upon these days, but I think that was really great for the games. And I think that the way the cutscenes portrayed the plot without words in those days was great, like when you were enemies with Knuckles the whole game, and he finds out that the Master Emerald is being stolen and attacks Dr. Robotnik...then he shocks Knuckles. I mean, that was powerful even without words. But maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

Yeah, I also resent the fact that the new Editor-in-Chief replies to letters, and how even before that they got kind of mean and didn't answer questions sometimes. I mean, that was annoying, but Chris Slate is BEYOND mean. It's like you can tell he's trying to maintain their same way of replying to leters but he's failing, because he's a real jerk about it. Almost every picture of artwork sent in he's like "That's very...special!" I want to punch him in the face when he says that. But the thing I REALLY resent the most is this comment he made;

There are so many things wrong with this.

Minority: So people that like real games are only few? Really?
Only want to see games made for die-hard fans: No, we DON'T want to see games made ONLY for Casual Gamers. Some would be fine.
Who see the...as a threat: We see the fact that those are Nintendo's only games anymore as a threat to gaming, yes.

Another thing that irked me was this;

The reason the GameCube itself was so non-innovative is because the games had substance. They didn't rely on what the system had to make the game have appeal. I think the GameCube had some of the best games yet. The only reason it wasn't as popular is because Xbox/PS2 fans saw it as a kiddy system and it didn't attract the casual gamers they have now. In any case, my mom has enjoyed Animal Crossing more than the Wii. She's played the Wii all of once, while she's practically addicted to Animal Crossing. I gave her the GameCube so she could play that. She got a DS just for it. They think they know what everyone wants, and they don't.

Argh...I'm so tempted to send an angry letter into them telling them everything they're doing wrong. And yell my head off at Chris Slate.

I'm also tempted to send in a letter about their monthly topic, favorite game system and why, and tell them it's the SNES because the old games will always be the best. But it might be late in the month to send it in. If I send it in now, I might be able to send it in in time. But no guarantees about actually getting it in the magazine, as I'll basically be all anti-Wii about it as much as I can without saying that directly.

Sorry if I'm coming off as really aggressive...as I've said, I get sort of intense about video games, with this topic.

...Jeez, looking back up at my post...WALL OF TEXT...:laugh:
A wall of truthful text at that. I read every word that you write; no jumping around from me. I really hate Chris Slate too. He's your typical gaming bully who fathoms "Pirates vs. Ninjas" and "Vampires vs. Werewolves", and other overused and abused, bandwagon crap like that. Seriously. I hate those debates, and the over-obsession of Chuck Norris. There's nothing special about any of it, but little kids hop on the bandwagon of what they think is popular and cool, only because it's over publicized on the internet, and now by editor-in-chiefs like Chris Slate of Nintendo Power.

That magazine has become the very thing that it stood against before. I used to always look forward to Nintendo Powers so anxiously because they were so exciting, packed, and filled with tons, and tons of information. Nintendo Power is a source of conformity, and the longer it continues to stay in the form that it is now, the more conformist people we will get. More and more, Nintendo Power focuses around the third-party games and not Nintendo. I also hate the interview section that they have every month where they use that "cut-out" style filter on the interviewee's face (you know what I'm talking about); that style that we see all the time in commercials, advertisements, and even in movies (A Scanner Darkly). It's a whole part of this conformist graphical revolution, just as the whole "iPod, iTunes, iMovie, iControl, and anything else incorporating the 'i' into a title to represent the individual". Even the Wii uses the concept, which I've never liked. Out of all of Nintendo's consoles, the Wii is easily my least liked. And that brings me to my next point...

The Gamecube. I regard the Gamecube as one of my all-time favorite consoles. I had tremendous fun with that system. It sported some of the best games that I've ever played - Animal Crossing, Melee, Pikmin, F-Zero GX, Wind Waker, and loads more. People are far too pre-judgemental about games and game systems. The Gamecube is a kiddie console, eh? Well that's only because it was made for audiences of all ages. When systems like PS2, and particularly XBOX host games that are mostly T and M rated, then they're cutting off a huge part of gamer audience. The Nintendo 64 sold very well, and it was very similar to the Gamecube in terms of the selection of games that it had. I was never an SNES kid, I came in a little late to video games with the 64 being my first console. I have never had as much fun as I did with the Nintendo 64, and that's because it had such a vast amount of games, of all genres, and for all age groups. But of course, systems that use discs are far more mature than cartridges, aren't they... sheesh. The cartridge is like a toy? Well, there was a golden age when all systems used cartridges. Nintendo could have shifted to compact discs for the 64, but they chose to stick with cartridges because the gameplay would be smoother with no loading times. And because the gamecube sported small discs, it's regarded as "childish" and "struggling to fit in with the more mature systems". Yeah the **** right. The gamecube logo was a revamped N64 logo - both having the cube-look, and both being extremely innovative in design.

Eh, I'm tired of ranting.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
A wall of truthful text at that. I read every word that you write; no jumping around from me. I really hate Chris Slate too. He's your typical gaming bully who fathoms "Pirates vs. Ninjas" and "Vampires vs. Werewolves", and other overused and abused, bandwagon crap like that. Seriously. I hate those debates, and the over-obsession of Chuck Norris. There's nothing special about any of it, but little kids hop on the bandwagon of what they think is popular and cool, only because it's over publicized on the internet, and now by editor-in-chiefs like Chris Slate of Nintendo Power.

That magazine has become the very thing that it stood against before. I used to always look forward to Nintendo Powers so anxiously because they were so exciting, packed, and filled with tons, and tons of information. Nintendo Power is a source of conformity, and the longer it continues to stay in the form that it is now, the more conformist people we will get. More and more, Nintendo Power focuses around the third-party games and not Nintendo. I also hate the interview section that they have every month where they use that "cut-out" style filter on the interviewee's face (you know what I'm talking about); that style that we see all the time in commercials, advertisements, and even in movies (A Scanner Darkly). It's a whole part of this conformist graphical revolution, just as the whole "iPod, iTunes, iMovie, iControl, and anything else incorporating the 'i' into a title to represent the individual". Even the Wii uses the concept, which I've never liked. Out of all of Nintendo's consoles, the Wii is easily my least liked. And that brings me to my next point...

The Gamecube. I regard the Gamecube as one of my all-time favorite consoles. I had tremendous fun with that system. It sported some of the best games that I've ever played - Animal Crossing, Melee, Pikmin, F-Zero GX, Wind Waker, and loads more. People are far too pre-judgemental about games and game systems. The Gamecube is a kiddie console, eh? Well that's only because it was made for audiences of all ages. When systems like PS2, and particularly XBOX host games that are mostly T and M rated, then they're cutting off a huge part of gamer audience. The Nintendo 64 sold very well, and it was very similar to the Gamecube in terms of the selection of games that it had. I was never an SNES kid, I came in a little late to video games with the 64 being my first console. I have never had as much fun as I did with the Nintendo 64, and that's because it had such a vast amount of games, of all genres, and for all age groups. But of course, systems that use discs are far more mature than cartridges, aren't they... sheesh. The cartridge is like a toy? Well, there was a golden age when all systems used cartridges. Nintendo could have shifted to compact discs for the 64, but they chose to stick with cartridges because the gameplay would be smoother with no loading times. And because the gamecube sported small discs, it's regarded as "childish" and "struggling to fit in with the more mature systems". Yeah the **** right. The gamecube logo was a revamped N64 logo - both having the cube-look, and both being extremely innovative in design.

Eh, I'm tired of ranting.
Yeah, I hate conformity. Dare to be different. It's like that person in the SSB4 Character thread that voted for Krystal because she's popular. No. Don't be a mindless drone. Have a personality, will ya?

Anyways, yeah. Nintendo Power got really stupid. Before they were funny, yet at the same time, they were nice. They didn't do all that stupid Mr. T, Chuck Norris, Pirate vs. Ninja BS. It's that sort of stupid "joke" that is used as a response when they've got nothing else and it's not even funny. I will admit I've heard one or two good Chuck Norris jokes, but they're so overused. Also, they used to have monthly sections, like the Animal Crossing section, and Pokecenter. Now, you're right, we get all of this third party games, talking about the "new best game" like No More Heroes. It sounds stupid, it's just full of gore and junk and it's rated M, so wow, it's the next great game? Pardon me if it's actually good, I haven't tried it, but they didn't present anything other than "Wow, he's so bad***, there's gore, and it's rated M! Yay!" As if there's never been a game where you can play as someone who's not a hero before. I used to be able to get news from them. Now they're so busy talking about how great the next 3rd party game is that I've heard NOTHING about Platinum from them. By the time they tell us that it's even announced, it'll probably be out in Japan and sites like Serebii will have revealed everything to us.

As for that art style, yeah, I hate it. I almost guarantee you that I could make something that looks like that in Photoshop with 1, 2 filters tops, and it's not that it looks good. And as for that commercial that uses that style...can't remember what it's for, but it uses that art style yet it looks semi-realistic. If you want to make it cartoony, make it cartoony. If you want to make it realistic, do that. Why would you make it look realistic yet cartoony?
All of that "i" junk...gah. The only thing of Apple's that I like is the iPod, and only because it's a well-made MP3 Player. Macs are just confusing, and I am sick of all of the adding "i" to everything. Hey look everybody, it's the iShoe! The iBookshelf! The iSoda! The iOxygen!
With the Wii, I'm really beginning to loathe it. And the name Wii was clearly just so they could make all of those really bad Wii jokes. "Wii came, Wii conquered!" "Wii would like to play!" The puns aren't funny!

I think that the Wii, their most successful and innovative system, is their worst. It's a plague to gaming as we know it. If I didn't hate the other consoles, I would buy one. But those are overrated too. Halo gets rave as if it's the best game ever, but it's not any different from all of the other shooters out there! The best description I've ever heard, like EVER, is this; "It's just a bunch of 8 year-olds wanting to shoot each other in the face." PS3 is way too expensive for a console that looks really shiny and has no substance.

The GameCube is probably my favorite system, maybe tying with the SNES and Sega Genesis. I may have never gotten a SNES years and years ago, but I'm glad I picked one up recently, because it's just awesome. It's so simple, yet great.
On the GameCube, though, the games were great. The people judging it as a kiddie system hadn't played it. I own the most games for GameCube (console-wise; I think I own more GBA games than anything) and there's hardly a single one that I've bought and been disappointed in. Shadow the Hedgehog is probably the only exception. Wind Waker is quite possibly one of my favorite Zelda games ever, Metroid Prime is my second favorite Metroid game, Pokemon Colosseum was even good even though it strayed from the original formula, Animal Crossing is AWESOME, Melee is probably my favorite Smash game, Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2's remakes were great...I could really go on, but I won't. What Nintendo fails to realize is that people love the Wii for the Wii; people loved the GameCube for the games. The only innovation in Wii games is motion sensor. After the 20th game, you get bored of that being the only thing that's new. It just encourages degeneration in the series in order to get motion sensor.

I think Nintendo's biggest mistake ever was listening to the idiots calling GameCube kiddie. Clearly they heard this and decided to listen to them. I'm a geek. Video games are my life. I've been made fun of more times than I can count. But conforming to their complaints is stupid. I was really happy when the Wii was successful, when friends of mine stuck on XBox loved it. But now I wish it would fail. I wish something would happen, so Nintendo has to change. So they can't keep this up. And thanks to whatever they're doing to keep the Wii scarce long after release, one of my friends who was a HUGE Nintendo fan likes XBox more. He turned into a freakin' Halo fanboy, because he couldn't get a Wii for so long, and decided to get a 360 instead. He got a Wii eventually, but still prefers his 360, I believe.

Nintendo is all about fitting in, and my WHOLE LIFE I've been about being my own person, being different, getting away from the crowd. I like being my own person. And now Nintendo has turned into a bunch of conformists, so I'm left to play their games back from when they still had brains. I wish I had subscribed to Nintendo Power earlier. I'm almost tempted to cancel my subscription to it now, but it's the only magazine I subscribe to and it's something I can sort of look forward to every month. But normally I read Pulse and scream at the magazine when I see something that reminds me how stupid Nintendo's gotten, and then throw the magazine down. Yeah, the new publisher won't affect the readers my ***.

By the way, thanks a lot for reading my entire previous post. I once had a girlfriend who didn't read like ANYTHING I wrote...well, I won't get into it, but it bugged me a lot, and it's been a pet peeve of mine ever since, so I really appreciate that you read it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
[A LOT OF AWESOME FIRUS TALK]
Very, very, very well put, Firus. I have an SNES (got it after my 64) but no good games for it. I used to play all of the good games on my friend's SNES (so technically I did get the experience as a child), so I think I'll order some used SNES games online or something.

Nintendo Power said that they are going to unleash a horde of amazing games next month: first, second, and third party at that. I'm crossing my fingers for something far more exciting that an issue all about Castlevania.

Back to Pokemon, shall we go?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Very, very, very well put, Firus. I have an SNES (got it after my 64) but no good games for it. I used to play all of the good games on my friend's SNES (so technically I did get the experience as a child), so I think I'll order some used SNES games online or something.

Nintendo Power said that they are going to unleash a horde of amazing games next month: first, second, and third party at that. I'm crossing my fingers for something far more exciting that an issue all about Castlevania.

Back to Pokemon, shall we go?
If you don't already have it, I HIGHLY recommend Super Metroid. Even if you're not a Metroid fan, it's an awesome game.
Also, for finding them, it might be worth your while to check out your local Goodwill; my friend has found quite a few games there.

I'm crossing my fingers for NP as well...but just like with a lot of things, I've sort of lost hope. It sickened me to hear them going on their "Sonic's going back to his roots!" rants. If they hadn't lied incredibly last time, I might actually consider this rumor that it's good Sonic again.

And yeah, we should probably get back to Pokemon. Enough ranting about the inadequacies of games nowadays...it sort of depresses me.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
If you don't already have it, I HIGHLY recommend Super Metroid. Even if you're not a Metroid fan, it's an awesome game.
Also, for finding them, it might be worth your while to check out your local Goodwill; my friend has found quite a few games there.

I'm crossing my fingers for NP as well...but just like with a lot of things, I've sort of lost hope. It sickened me to hear them going on their "Sonic's going back to his roots!" rants. If they hadn't lied incredibly last time, I might actually consider this rumor that it's good Sonic again.

And yeah, we should probably get back to Pokemon. Enough ranting about the inadequacies of games nowadays...it sort of depresses me.
Games are being tailored to a casual market nowadays. Even games like GTA, Halo, and World of Warcraft have made the jump to try to make casual gamers feel at home. Gaming isn't an exclusive club of geeks and computer nerds anymore, it's a major entertainment business and we're unfortunately going to have to deal with that.

It's very easy to be compared to what happened back in the 1920's when movies made the jump to talking. Many of the famous actors and actresses of non-talking movies didn't have good voices so they simply didn't act anymore once 'talkies' became popular because they couldn't get a job. It's a lot like now. Gaming is entering it's 'talkie' stage. Gaming companies are going to have to tailor to whats popular now -- and honestly that's minigame collections, overly-simplistic platformers, FPS spam, and generic sports titles. We can't expect to see any 'true' innovation for a while now.

It sucks. But we're going to have to look out for the good games and try to weed out the bad the best we can.

Nintendo Power related: So um... if you guys don't like it (I personally don't have any problems beyond Chirs Slate -- the guys a *******) then write a letter to them. Complaining on smashboards won't do anything about it.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Games are being tailored to a casual market nowadays. Even games like GTA, Halo, and World of Warcraft have made the jump to try to make casual gamers feel at home. Gaming isn't an exclusive club of geeks and computer nerds anymore, it's a major entertainment business and we're unfortunately going to have to deal with that.

It's very easy to be compared to what happened back in the 1920's when movies made the jump to talking. Many of the famous actors and actresses of non-talking movies didn't have good voices so they simply didn't act anymore once 'talkies' became popular because they couldn't get a job. It's a lot like now. Gaming is entering it's 'talkie' stage. Gaming companies are going to have to tailor to whats popular now -- and honestly that's minigame collections, overly-simplistic platformers, FPS spam, and generic sports titles. We can't expect to see any 'true' innovation for a while now.

It sucks. But we're going to have to look out for the good games and try to weed out the bad the best we can.

Nintendo Power related: So um... if you guys don't like it (I personally don't have any problems beyond Chirs Slate -- the guys a *******) then write a letter to them. Complaining on smashboards won't do anything about it.
It does very much seem like games are entering the 'talkie' stage, and like you said about gaming being a major entertainment business, I think the main problem is that since most little kids have never played the old games they want fast action 3-D environments. As for those of us that understand and like the old non-3-D games will just have to deal with the little kids or just stick to the old games.

and how did the discussion go from changing the graphics but staying in top-view to sonic games (although a perfect example) im not complaining, I just thought it was funny

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That's really unfortunate. I didn't realize even games like Halo were being made for casual gamers. Maybe buying a 360/PS3 wouldn't be a good idea even if I liked the consoles. I understand that they need to attract casual gamers, but it's like the geeks that stayed with them for decades are now being forgotten all of a sudden. With Microsoft or Sony, it might be forgivable, but there are people that have been with them since the '80s, and all of a sudden, they're dropping them like a hot potato because they've discovered the casual gamers. I really hope that gamers boycott buying video games for a year or something and show them that if they don't give us something, they're screwed. I'd love to see Nintendo get completely screwed over because they were too greedy to realize that they've still got to give hardcore gamers something, and not assume that we want only new games that they think are hardcore. I love(d) Nintendo for the fact that they have recognizable franchises, games you can always depend on liking. And now that's not true. Now you don't know what to expect.

Hm, that's a good comparison. But I don't know why that sort of crud is popular. FPSs are just about the least entertaining type of game, I think. Not necessarily that, but they're the hardest to diversify. Fighters are easy to make different; Adventure games are hard to make similar. But FPSs of all things are nearly impossible to make anything new out of. That's why the rave crap that Halo got is so unacceptable. It's no different from any other game, but it got rave reviews. Even if the first one brought something new to the table, the other two didn't. They're all the exact thing with different weapons and levels.
I'm not saying this is your fault, just saying that they're being stupid.

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm going to be renting games a LOT now. If a game sounds questionable, I'm going to assume it is and rent it first. And there is NO question, if I do anything with Sonic Unleashed, it's getting rented first. I don't see it getting bought either.

Yeah, I should. The only reason I wouldn't do that is because they'll probably say something idiotic and cliched for them now, like "there's nothing wrong with casual games, they're just as good as other games" or they'll make fun of me by using some idiotic Mr. T or Chuck Norris joke.
Clearly they have no taste, because they said a Falcon Punch pun was bad and think they're jokes are the best thing on earth.

Spire, I think you and I should both send a letter in to them and maybe they'll publish one. That is, assuming you want to write one. If you don't want to I'm not going to force you, obviously.

But I AM going to send them in a favorite system letter and tell them that my favorite system is the GameCube just to give them a nice kick in the ***, and because it probably is, aside from the Sega Genesis. I don't know, it's probably a tie between Sega Genesis, SNES, and GC, but at the moment, I'm feeling like GC. Plus I'd love to prove to them that the GameCube isn't completely unpopular.

Wow, I can't believe I'm actually plotting against them. I really will never get a life, will I?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Could you please explain to me what part of Secret Rings was like the classic games? Because I see nothing in there. Even the characters that should be the originals are made to be characters from the Arabian Nights. Heck, Dr. Robotnik isn't even the bad guy. There's a start for them; no more Erazor Djinn or Black Shadow, or Ibliss or whatever (I never played Sonic 2006), BRING ROBOTNIK BACK! And call him Ivo Robotnik again. No more Eggman. That's uncreativity at its max.

Well the feeling of going fast has been lost in a lot of the latest sonic games (both director's cut and adventure battle 2). Sonic Rush was a lot like the originals (but with a stupid new cat and cloned eggman), sure the story was stupid but overall it was a step closer to the classics.

I agree we need to lower the amount of new characters and thats another reason I liked secret rings because there was only sonic as a playable character. No gun shooting or tresure hunting.

As for the Wii and DS, both of them should maintain the series'. I bought them both so I could continue to enjoy Nintendo games, not to get innovation. The DS is innovation too. Now they've gone on a Touch Screen kick, just like the entire Wii is a Motion Sensor kick. (I still cannot believe people demanded Motion Sensor for Radiant Dawn; are they COMPLETE morons? Have they ever played Fire Emblem before?) Mario Galaxy was too easy. People raved about it, and it won game of the year in Nintendo Power. For what? The only merit I see to that game is that it had uber graphics. And graphics don't make a game.
In any case, Nintendo isn't using either of their systems to maintain the classic games. The only real Metroid game (if you could even call it a real game) we've had for DS thus far is Hunters, which isn't 2D, nor is it at all Metroid. I really hope that the "Metroid Dread" Rumor is true, if only for the fact that it's supposed to be a 2D sequel to Fusion. 2D. That makes it win.

We will get a metroid 2-D game, if we dont Im going to kill nintendo. Yes DS is doing the whole "innovation" thing to but we still got 2-D mario, sonic, pokemon, fire emblem (soon) etc. For the DS I would like it so theres games where you use the touch screen and games where you NEVER/RARELY use the touch screen (like the 3 games I said above). Though I cant deny that the DS games are getting easier.

AS for motion control, if it was just like the DS (some games that revolve around motion controls and some that rarely use it) then I wouldnt have a problem. FE:RD with motion controls would KILL the series that I have played for so long.

Phantom Hourglass also strayed from Zelda. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't even remotely difficult. I finished dungeons in 10-15 minutes, the bosses in one try and in about 2 minutes. Blasphemy.
Heck, Kirby is just about the only game that hasn't been ruined by innovation yet. Other than that, Pokemon is the closest to its origin.
I'm not asking for 2D on consoles, but heck, I'll take anything nowadays. Now that handhelds are 3D too, (what I'd give to go back to the SNES/Genesis era...) 2D games are few and far between.

Agreed with everything here. I loved my poor SNES and genesis :( SMW, sonic games and ALOT more hard(and fun) games. After reading your post, I think wii to needs to seperate it self into 2 sections (hardcore/2-D and motion games/casual).

Wow, I'm really on a roll with ranting today.

I hate there new magazine. While most people were praying for the new company to keep the magazine like it was, I was hoping that they would turn around to there old ways.

I got the Prima pokedex and they have so many typos and errors that it's crazy.

Nintendo will (IMO) never turn around. I dont hate motion sensor games but why does every game revolve arond it? Nintenndo should feel like a tool, all the hardcore games are going to 360 and PS3. I went to the store yesterday and even soul caliber 5 isnt for wii( the have star wars characters, you hear me, STAR WARS :(). After using nintendo for legends to get the causals the head of to sony and microsoft for the hardcore gamers. There not the first to do this.....

Spire

III
BRoomer
I hate there new magazine. While most people were praying for the new company to keep the magazine like it was, I was hoping that they would turn around to there old ways.

Nintendo will (IMO) never turn around. I dont hate motion sensor games but why does every game revolve arond it? Nintenndo should feel like a tool, all the hardcore games are going to 360 and PS3. I went to the store yesterday and even soul caliber 5 isnt for wii( the have star wars characters, you hear me, STAR WARS :(). After using nintendo for legends to get the causals the head of to sony and microsoft for the hardcore gamers. There not the first to do this.....
Yeah, I really want Soul Calibur 4, but alas, I cannot afford a 360 or PS3! So I'll never get around to playing it. I got a Wii only for Twilight Princess and Brawl (which had been announced at the time). The only Wii games I own are: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition, Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii (oh, and Mario Party 8, but that's a horrible game). I've not wanted to buy any other Wii games (I've had a hankering to get Metroid Prime 3, but I can just borrow it from my cousin) because frankly, they all suck. I'm really disappointed with the Wii and if it were not for Brawl and Mario Kart Wii, I might have gotten rid of it a while back. I'm really sick of it. Screw motion sensor innovation, because they've done nothing innovative about it. Not once have I been excited to play with the Wiimote; never have the motion sensor controls really sparked enjoyment in me at all. They made it out to seem like you had to violently swing your arms around to play Twilight Princess, when really, all it took was a flick of the wrist.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Try FE:RD that game has no motion control and on hard difficulty it is CRAZY hard to beat ( I had trouble on normal, while my bro could barely beat easy).

Ya, 500 posts :)!!!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

That REALLY irks me. EVERY GAME, EVERY FREAKING GAME the Wii gets that the other systems get has to be different. I've heard nothing stellar about Sonic 2006 (except from my friend, who isn't a long-time Sonic fan, so I don't think he'd judge it as I would), but I'd almost rather have that than Secret Rings. Or at least, just give us the SAME game and invest more time into it. Don't give us a special game for motion sensor crap, you're screwing us over. Soul Calibur: Legends didn't do so well either, I'm guessing; it's already $19.99. Glad I didn't get that. I can't believe they have Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur...it's a little stupid, if you ask me, but it's still better than Legends. Wii owners are being told that they're not allowed to have the real games, just craptastically dumbed-down games. I don't think Star Wars fits with Soul Calibur (as much as I love Star Wars) but I'd take 4 over Legends any day. I swear, Nintendo is being completely moronic. If I could afford and liked more than a few of the games for Xbox or PS3, I probably would buy one of them.

Yeah, I really want Soul Calibur 4, but alas, I cannot afford a 360 or PS3! So I'll never get around to playing it. I got a Wii only for Twilight Princess and Brawl (which had been announced at the time). The only Wii games I own are: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition, Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii (oh, and Mario Party 8, but that's a horrible game). I've not wanted to buy any other Wii games (I've had a hankering to get Metroid Prime 3, but I can just borrow it from my cousin) because frankly, they all suck. I'm really disappointed with the Wii and if it were not for Brawl and Mario Kart Wii, I might have gotten rid of it a while back. I'm really sick of it. Screw motion sensor innovation, because they've done nothing innovative about it. Not once have I been excited to play with the Wiimote; never have the motion sensor controls really sparked enjoyment in me at all. They made it out to seem like you had to violently swing your arms around to play Twilight Princess, when really, all it took was a flick of the wrist.
Yeah, well, all of the reasons for me to play Wii other than the VC are pretty much nonexistent now. I was really hopeful for Brawl, but it was a letdown for me. Most of the games for Wii have been letdowns. As for MP3, if there's any game you're going to get, I'd say it should be MP3. It's the best game for the Wii thus far, in my opinion. I'm a huge Metroid fan and all, but it's probably the most innovated game that's still good, even though it took the feel of being alone out back and shot it.

Try FE:RD that game has no motion control and on hard difficulty it is CRAZY hard to beat ( I had trouble on normal, while my bro could barely beat easy).
RD is a game I've considered getting, but not yet. I want to beat PoR first, at least. I got it briefly before Brawl, and I got sidetracked by Brawl, and even once I got tired of Brawl I haven't felt like playing it since. I love FE games but beating FESS took a lot out of my appetite for them. It'll probably come back eventually, though.

If they add motion sensor to Fire Emblem, they shall die a painful death. I'll make sure of it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
That REALLY irks me. EVERY GAME, EVERY FREAKING GAME the Wii gets that the other systems get has to be different. I've heard nothing stellar about Sonic 2006 (except from my friend, who isn't a long-time Sonic fan, so I don't think he'd judge it as I would), but I'd almost rather have that than Secret Rings. Or at least, just give us the SAME game and invest more time into it. Don't give us a special game for motion sensor crap, you're screwing us over. Soul Calibur: Legends didn't do so well either, I'm guessing; it's already $19.99. Glad I didn't get that. I can't believe they have Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur...it's a little stupid, if you ask me, but it's still better than Legends. Wii owners are being told that they're not allowed to have the real games, just craptastically dumbed-down games. I don't think Star Wars fits with Soul Calibur (as much as I love Star Wars) but I'd take 4 over Legends any day. I swear, Nintendo is being completely moronic. If I could afford and liked more than a few of the games for Xbox or PS3, I probably would buy one of them.
At least we're getting the same Force Unleashed, but with an extra mode - Duel. That's a bonus for the Wii, although the game is based heavily around its beautiful graphics and physics system, so the Wii will probably suffer from that, which is what I want. The first time I saw Soul Calibur Legends, I almost puked - knowing that we were getting that while 360 and PS3 were getting the ACTUAL Soul Calibur. So, not only is Nintendo gearing more towards a general audience, but they're shaping every single game around them. We could have EASILY gotten a port of SC4, but nope, we had to get the hack n' slash, arcade-style "Legends" - the first Soul Calibur spinoff, and a horrible one at that. I love Soul Calibur, but for it to not be available for the Wii... that's just sad. I guess it just wouldn't work well with motion sensor controls, because if it doesn't, then it doesn't make the cut for the Wii, and that's why we get **** like Cooking Mama.

I'm also against the inclusion of Yoda and Vader into Soul Calibur. It's just a huge publicity stunt to milk us of our cash. They're not even downloadable at launch of the game, yet they appear on the box art. Just a big way of raking in the dough. I don't like it because it's far too controversial though. WHY in the world would Yoda and Vader visit Earth? I read that they're going to create a background story that is CANON with the Star Wars Universe. That's just ********. Specifically, Yoda, and Darth Vader (no one else at all) go to Earth - in a galaxy far, far, away - a feat never before accomplished by anyone from the Star Wars galaxy. Stupid scam is stupid.

Yeah, well, all of the reasons for me to play Wii other than the VC are pretty much nonexistent now. I was really hopeful for Brawl, but it was a letdown for me. Most of the games for Wii have been letdowns. As for MP3, if there's any game you're going to get, I'd say it should be MP3. It's the best game for the Wii thus far, in my opinion. I'm a huge Metroid fan and all, but it's probably the most innovated game that's still good, even though it took the feel of being alone out back and shot it.
Which is why Metroid Prime 1 & 2 were so beautiful. I played a little of both and loved each for their feeling of solitude and eeriness. I've played quite a bit of MP3, but it just felt too overdone. You can easily compare the Metroid Prime series with the Halo series campaigns. They progress similarly in style. The first one features Samus; Master Chief - alone for the most part. The second one introduces Samus's counterpart Dark Samus; introduces the Arbiter, Master Chief's counterpart; the third title just takes everything from before, and multiplies it by a million, for both series. See the similarities? I hate to compare the two, but it's just for the means of juxtaposition.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
At least we're getting the same Force Unleashed, but with an extra mode - Duel. That's a bonus for the Wii, although the game is based heavily around its beautiful graphics and physics system, so the Wii will probably suffer from that, which is what I want. The first time I saw Soul Calibur Legends, I almost puked - knowing that we were getting that while 360 and PS3 were getting the ACTUAL Soul Calibur. So, not only is Nintendo gearing more towards a general audience, but they're shaping every single game around them. We could have EASILY gotten a port of SC4, but nope, we had to get the hack n' slash, arcade-style "Legends" - the first Soul Calibur spinoff, and a horrible one at that. I love Soul Calibur, but for it to not be available for the Wii... that's just sad. I guess it just wouldn't work well with motion sensor controls, because if it doesn't, then it doesn't make the cut for the Wii, and that's why we get **** like Cooking Mama.
Yeah, they're shaping everything for them. No one likes what they like except for soccer moms. We don't need a million and one Wii Fits and Brain Ages, we don't need even the best of games to be transformed into ****, we need them to realize what GAMERS actually like. Although they probably don't care anymore, since they've got their audience of 5 year-olds and soccer moms.

I'm also against the inclusion of Yoda and Vader into Soul Calibur. It's just a huge publicity stunt to milk us of our cash. They're not even downloadable at launch of the game, yet they appear on the box art. Just a big way of raking in the dough. I don't like it because it's far too controversial though. WHY in the world would Yoda and Vader visit Earth? I read that they're going to create a background story that is CANON with the Star Wars Universe. That's just ********. Specifically, Yoda, and Darth Vader (no one else at all) go to Earth - in a galaxy far, far, away - a feat never before accomplished by anyone from the Star Wars galaxy. Stupid scam is stupid.
Are you serious? They're going to come up with a story? Do they WANT to maul Star Wars to death? Idiots. Knowing Nintendo, we'll get another spinoff instead of #5 AND they'll include Yoda and Vader. They fail.

Which is why Metroid Prime 1 & 2 were so beautiful. I played a little of both and loved each for their feeling of solitude and eeriness. I've played quite a bit of MP3, but it just felt too overdone. You can easily compare the Metroid Prime series with the Halo series campaigns. They progress similarly in style. The first one features Samus; Master Chief - alone for the most part. The second one introduces Samus's counterpart Dark Samus; introduces the Arbiter, Master Chief's counterpart; the third title just takes everything from before, and multiplies it by a million, for both series. See the similarities? I hate to compare the two, but it's just for the means of juxtaposition.
Well, MP3 gets a little bit better about solitude as it goes on. You're still talking to people at some points, but you stop meeting so many GF Troopers once you get to Bryyo. (Have you gotten there?) While you're on Bryyo, it feels really eerie, especially with the ice and everything and the short appearance of Rundas. Although something that creeped me out was in Bryyo Ice (a good ways into the game), when someone's trying to send you a transmission and it's failing, but it keeps coming and it's all garbled. I thought it was some monster and I was prepared around every corner. Also, the Valhalla feels really eerie, although it's to be expected given what the Valhalla is. Plus there's
Metroids
on there, which just makes it so much more fun.

As for the Halo-Metroid Prime comparison, the difference is that Metroid actually involves skill and brings something new to the table. Halo doesn't. It's just shooting. Also, it's focused on multiplayer, while Metroid focuses on single player. Halo is just a bunch of 8 year-olds wanting to shoot each other in the face. Metroid is epic, even dumbed down on the Wii.
I know you weren't trying to insult Metroid, but as an automatic response, I had to defend Metroid.

I still think that, while #3 is very dumbed down, it still is a pretty good game, and the best for Wii thus far (that I've played; Radiant Dawn might be good too, I haven't played it).

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
A story for yoda and darth vader is stupid. What would they want with a sword thats light years away?
Still playing as them would still be fun but they should only be multiplayer characters. Like how wolf, jigglypuff and TL did nothing storywise.

MP3 is one of, if not my favourite game on wii so far. TP and RD were both second.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I just thought of another idea for 5th gen. Sort of a simple, but important, in my opinion, addition. In a Pokemon's Pokedex entry, they should have a pronunciation of it, as you would in a dictionary next to a word. This way, you know how to pronounce the names of the Pokemon. I'm always confused over pronunciation of names; is it Kee-oh-gray or Ki-oh-ger (I've heard it both ways)? Is the 'c' in Sceptile silent or pronounced? Most names are fairly straightforward, but it'd be nice to have some way of knowing so you don't look like an idiot when you're discussing Pokemon and find out that you've been pronouncing a Pokemon's name wrong forever. Heck, I even misread Dialga's name at first and thought it was Dialg -I- a until I caught him and saw the name. It probably wouldn't take that much effort, but would help out a lot.

That's just a quick idea.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I just thought of another idea for 5th gen. Sort of a simple, but important, in my opinion, addition. In a Pokemon's Pokedex entry, they should have a pronunciation of it, as you would in a dictionary next to a word. This way, you know how to pronounce the names of the Pokemon. I'm always confused over pronunciation of names; is it Kee-oh-gray or Ki-oh-ger (I've heard it both ways)? Is the 'c' in Sceptile silent or pronounced? Most names are fairly straightforward, but it'd be nice to have some way of knowing so you don't look like an idiot when you're discussing Pokemon and find out that you've been pronouncing a Pokemon's name wrong forever. Heck, I even misread Dialga's name at first and thought it was Dialg -I- a until I caught him and saw the name. It probably wouldn't take that much effort, but would help out a lot.

That's just a quick idea.
That's just a quick, great idea. I've always had trouble pronouncing certain Pokemon's names, Kyogre being the most difficult (despite being one of my favorite names and favorite legendaries). I used to pronounce Gyarados as "gair-uh-dose" until I heard in the show or something that it was "guy-uh-ruh-dose". Cell-EH-bee, or Cell-ih-bee? TrO-pee-uss, or Traw-pee-uss? Vess-pee-ken, or Vess-pee-kwen? There are countless examples. The truth is, we need a pronunciation in the Pokedex, or perhaps even an actual voice that says the name (like the Pokedex voice from the show).

zrky

Smash Lol'd
That's just a quick, great idea. I've always had trouble pronouncing certain Pokemon's names, Kyogre being the most difficult (despite being one of my favorite names and favorite legendaries). I used to pronounce Gyarados as "gair-uh-dose" until I heard in the show or something that it was "guy-uh-ruh-dose". Cell-EH-bee, or Cell-ih-bee? TrO-pee-uss, or Traw-pee-uss? Vess-pee-ken, or Vess-pee-kwen? There are countless examples. The truth is, we need a pronunciation in the Pokedex, or perhaps even an actual voice that says the name (like the Pokedex voice from the show).
Firus this is a great idea. The only one I have ever had trouble with is Kyogre, because I say it Ky-ogr, and most everyone else says it, Ky-owger. Pronounciation of Pokeemon names would be a great idea. Someone should probably link this thread in an e-mail to nintendo, then these great ideas would more than likely be incorporated in the 5th Gen.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Yeah, they're shaping everything for them. No one likes what they like except for soccer moms. We don't need a million and one Wii Fits and Brain Ages, we don't need even the best of games to be transformed into ****, we need them to realize what GAMERS actually like. Although they probably don't care anymore, since they've got their audience of 5 year-olds and soccer moms.

Are you serious? They're going to come up with a story? Do they WANT to maul Star Wars to death? Idiots. Knowing Nintendo, we'll get another spinoff instead of #5 AND they'll include Yoda and Vader. They fail.

Well, MP3 gets a little bit better about solitude as it goes on. You're still talking to people at some points, but you stop meeting so many GF Troopers once you get to Bryyo. (Have you gotten there?) While you're on Bryyo, it feels really eerie, especially with the ice and everything and the short appearance of Rundas. Although something that creeped me out was in Bryyo Ice (a good ways into the game), when someone's trying to send you a transmission and it's failing, but it keeps coming and it's all garbled. I thought it was some monster and I was prepared around every corner. Also, the Valhalla feels really eerie, although it's to be expected given what the Valhalla is. Plus there's
Metroids
on there, which just makes it so much more fun.

As for the Halo-Metroid Prime comparison, the difference is that Metroid actually involves skill and brings something new to the table. Halo doesn't. It's just shooting. Also, it's focused on multiplayer, while Metroid focuses on single player. Halo is just a bunch of 8 year-olds wanting to shoot each other in the face. Metroid is epic, even dumbed down on the Wii.
I know you weren't trying to insult Metroid, but as an automatic response, I had to defend Metroid.

I still think that, while #3 is very dumbed down, it still is a pretty good game, and the best for Wii thus far (that I've played; Radiant Dawn might be good too, I haven't played it).
I think you're being to hard on Metroid Prime 3. It's a wonderful, wonderful game. It was executed perfectly. The only addition I would want is Zapper combatability.

And Halo was the best FPS out there when it first came out. It set the bar for console first person shooters (and none of this goldeneye bullcrap. Go replay that game. It hasn't aged well) so it was awesome when it first came out. But now, it's just become overhyped.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think you're being to hard on Metroid Prime 3. It's a wonderful, wonderful game. It was executed perfectly. The only addition I would want is Zapper combatability.

And Halo was the best FPS out there when it first came out. It set the bar for console first person shooters (and none of this goldeneye bullcrap. Go replay that game. It hasn't aged well) so it was awesome when it first came out. But now, it's just become overhyped.
I've been trying to get my hands on MP3 for a while now, along with the other primes. I want to play the whole series. As for Halo, I occasionally play the first - and only the first - for the sheer enjoyment that it brought. The sequels suck.

I was honestly never a fan of Goldeneye. I don't know why everyone else loved it so much. Agent Under Fire and Nightfire were the "golden" titles in the series for me. As for N64 shooters, Turok 3 was my zone. Oh, and of course Pokemon Snap if you count "shooting" photos as a shooter.

All in all, I'm hoping for a GREAT Elder Scrolls-like game for the Wii. Complete freedom, complete customization in every way for you character, and constant things to do. I'd love a Zelda-RPG like that. We spoke of this in your Zelda Thread now that I think of it...

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That was the entire contents of the Zelda thread when it was active. Now there's no activity on it.

As for the other Primes, if there's one that you can't get pray that it's Prime 2. It's not bad, but definately the worst of the Prime series.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That was the entire contents of the Zelda thread when it was active. Now there's no activity on it.

As for the other Primes, if there's one that you can't get pray that it's Prime 2. It's not bad, but definately the worst of the Prime series.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Over World would make the best sense. I mean they covered every thing except the East. It would be awesome to go to Kanto region. But that mayby hard seeing there's a HUGE *** mountain dividing the 2. Maybe do what the anime does :p A dictionary pronunciation would be also nice. I had trouble saying some 3rd Generation pokemon names.

And about MP3. It was my first Wii bought game. And at first i hated it. I wanted to get MOH:vangaurd(It was a WWII shooter and im a sucker for those things) I thought it was gonna be a run and Gun like Hunters was. But in fact IT WAS SO fun that im doing it all over again. Its really enjoyable. Especially when you have to protect the 12 Demo troopers. YOU HAD TO THINK ON THAT PART. The first 2 were the hardest in my experience. You had to make those Areal troops stay away from them. MP3 shouldn't have Zapper support imo. It would be difficult to do some things like the grappler,where you have to manually throw it.

Call of Duty World at War might be the first good 3rd party Wii game. They said something along the lines of"PS2 is old and must die Next Gen FTW" so the PS2 is dead to Treyarch maybe. I also find it that they are also doing online for the Wii game. Seeing as the Wii doesn't have anything like Live or Home, its would be amazing if they set up their own severs.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Well, I actually was a lot softer on it than I have been in other places. Heck, I was actually pretty nice about it.
It's a good game. It's the best game on Wii. It's really good for a new game. But that doesn't say much, because the Wii has pretty terrible games and new games are pretty poor. That said, MP3 is still a good game. Not as good as Prime 1, but probably on par with Prime 2, if not a little better. But still, it was lacking in a few departments. They focused way too much on Phazon. Hyper Mode was overpowered--even if you lose an energy tank for it, the only time that's a problem is with big bosses. It has a constant fire beam. Also, you got useless things like the Hyper Ball, Hyper Missile and Hyper Grapple which you used all of once or twice in the entire game. Even worse, you got the Hazard Shield and the ugly PED Suit in place of a real suit, like the Gravity Suit. These things combined ended up taking away from the different abilities. The Power Bomb, a staple since Super Metroid, wasn't included. I'm not sure what your background is as far as Metroid games go, but as a fan of Metroid in general, Prime 3 is not a good game in comparison to other Metroid games.

As for Zapper compatability...NO. Just NO. Samus's Arm Cannon is not a gun. The Zapper is meant to be a gun. If you were to use the Zapper, that wouldn't even be Metroid anymore. Plus, with all of the other actions you have to do with the Wiimote like twisting, pushing, pulling, and throwing out the Grapple Beam, it would just be awkward. It's a great thing that they didn't add that.

Maybe it set the standard for FPSs, but I never thought it was that fun. Then it just got overhyped and my opinion went from "Okay" to "Piece of crap".

I've been trying to get my hands on MP3 for a while now, along with the other primes. I want to play the whole series. As for Halo, I occasionally play the first - and only the first - for the sheer enjoyment that it brought. The sequels suck.

I was honestly never a fan of Goldeneye. I don't know why everyone else loved it so much. Agent Under Fire and Nightfire were the "golden" titles in the series for me. As for N64 shooters, Turok 3 was my zone. Oh, and of course Pokemon Snap if you count "shooting" photos as a shooter.

All in all, I'm hoping for a GREAT Elder Scrolls-like game for the Wii. Complete freedom, complete customization in every way for you character, and constant things to do. I'd love a Zelda-RPG like that. We spoke of this in your Zelda Thread now that I think of it...
If you can only get one, get Prime 1. While it doesn't have motion sensor controls, it is by far the best in the Prime series. If you want an eerie, solitude-type feeling, you'll definitely get it in Prime 1 (although Prime 2, with a Dark World, does a pretty good job of that as well). Prime 3 certainly has a lot of that--for the first two missions, it doesn't, but once you get to Bryyo, it sort of kicks in. You're still talking with people some, but in the actual levels themselves, you're pretty much alone, until close to the very end. Prime 2 is very creepy, what with a Dark World and creatures possessed by the Ing even in the Light World (I won't reveal anything, but BIG surprise in the beginning). Ultimately, the worst part of it is that there's only a few environments (the Light/Dark World aspect might seem like it would add more room for exploration, but it really doesn't) and none of them really excelled in being a great environment. As I said in the "Best Generation" thread, I love the extremes in environments, and here you get some kind of bland environments. They're creative, but...they're just not as cool as the ones from Prime 1, or even the ones from Prime 3. If you're like me, that'll be a disappointment in the game.

But I'd still advise you to get them in order and play them in order. You can play Prime 1 and never play the other games (well, as long as you don't get the 100% ending), you can play Prime 2 with no prior knowledge of the trilogy, and you can pick up Prime 3 and play without ever knowing a thing about Metroid period. But they're best if you play all of them, and in order, in my opinion. If you have to, I'd suggest ordering Prime 1 off of the internet--it's that worth it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Well, I actually was a lot softer on it than I have been in other places. Heck, I was actually pretty nice about it.
It's a good game. It's the best game on Wii. It's really good for a new game. But that doesn't say much, because the Wii has pretty terrible games and new games are pretty poor. That said, MP3 is still a good game. Not as good as Prime 1, but probably on par with Prime 2, if not a little better. But still, it was lacking in a few departments. They focused way too much on Phazon. Hyper Mode was overpowered--even if you lose an energy tank for it, the only time that's a problem is with big bosses. It has a constant fire beam. Also, you got useless things like the Hyper Ball, Hyper Missile and Hyper Grapple which you used all of once or twice in the entire game. Even worse, you got the Hazard Shield and the ugly PED Suit in place of a real suit, like the Gravity Suit. These things combined ended up taking away from the different abilities. The Power Bomb, a staple since Super Metroid, wasn't included. I'm not sure what your background is as far as Metroid games go, but as a fan of Metroid in general, Prime 3 is not a good game in comparison to other Metroid games.

As for Zapper compatability...NO. Just NO. Samus's Arm Cannon is not a gun. The Zapper is meant to be a gun. If you were to use the Zapper, that wouldn't even be Metroid anymore. Plus, with all of the other actions you have to do with the Wiimote like twisting, pushing, pulling, and throwing out the Grapple Beam, it would just be awkward. It's a great thing that they didn't add that.
So you're complaining because they took away the power bomb... um... yeah. I know that it's been around for a long time, but it's really not that bad of a thing. The Hyper Ball, Hyper Missle, and Hyper Grapple are just random additions. They don't detract from the game in any way, so it's nothing to complain about.

As for the Zapper, why not? The arm cannon, dare I say it, is a gun. It's just on somebody's arm instead of in their hand. And if they had made it zapper compatible they wouldn't have done the thing where you have to use the Wiimote as a grapple beam.

Prime 3 is a wonderful game in comparison to other Metroid games. Not the best by any means, Super Metroid is by far the best. It's light years ahead of any other Metroid game.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So you're complaining because they took away the power bomb... um... yeah. I know that it's been around for a long time, but it's really not that bad of a thing. The Hyper Ball, Hyper Missle, and Hyper Grapple are just random additions. They don't detract from the game in any way, so it's nothing to complain about.
They don't detract from gameplay, but they were useless. Why couldn't they have given us something useful? As for the Power Bomb, it's not that I think it's really cool, it's just an example of something that could've been added in instead of those three useless Phazon upgrades.

As for the Zapper, why not? The arm cannon, dare I say it, is a gun. It's just on somebody's arm instead of in their hand. And if they had made it zapper compatible they wouldn't have done the thing where you have to use the Wiimote as a grapple beam.
It's basically a gun, but not in the same way. It would be unrealistic. You'd be holding a basic gun, when it comes down to it, yet the person you're controlling would be not using a gun. The Arm Cannon, however similar to a gun, is not the same thing. Also, the Zapper doesn't seem like it'd be good for adventures as much, just for FPSs. Metroid Prime is, as stupid as it sounds, a First-Person Adventure. If it were anything else, Nintendo would be stupid, because that would totally derail the Metroid series from what it is. That's one thing I can give them credit for. Plus, controlling Samus in Morph Ball...with a gun? No. It just does not fit.
And what's wrong with using the Wiimote as a Grapple Beam? It was actually not a bad addition, in my opinion.

Prime 3 is a wonderful game in comparison to other Metroid games. Not the best by any means, Super Metroid is by far the best. It's light years ahead of any other Metroid game.
No. It's good as a Metroid game, but that's all. Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Fusion all surpass it in my book. It beats Hunters, Metroid 1, Metroid 2, and Metroid Prime 2. That's all. (Can't say about Pinball because I've never played it.)

Spire

III
BRoomer
No. It's good as a Metroid game, but that's all. Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Fusion all surpass it in my book. It beats Hunters, Metroid 1, Metroid 2, and Metroid Prime 2. That's all. (Can't say about Pinball because I've never played it.)
Metroid Pinball is fun. To date, it's the only Metroid game I own. You pretty much play through Metroid Prime in pinball format. Weird, yes; but fun. I suggest purchasing it, it's fun to pick up every now and then for some great pinball fun. There are a lot of mini-games that activate during gameplay like killing metroids, space pirates, and the bosses from MP.

When was the last time we spoke of Pokemon in this thread?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Metroid Pinball is fun. To date, it's the only Metroid game I own. You pretty much play through Metroid Prime in pinball format. Weird, yes; but fun. I suggest purchasing it, it's fun to pick up every now and then for some great pinball fun. There are a lot of mini-games that activate during gameplay like killing metroids, space pirates, and the bosses from MP.
Yeah, I've not heard bad things about it--I actually want to pick it and Zero Mission up eventually. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

When was the last time we spoke of Pokemon in this thread?
Um...page 9?

Sorry, it's my fault. After you made the comment about wanting Pokemon to change and I took it the complete wrong way, I turned it into an anti-Nintendo rant, which pretty much developed into all-out Nintendo discussion, like it or love it. I'm sorry--we should take this back to Pokemon before this gets locked for getting completely off-topic.

Ilex

Smash Ace
I want more control over my character in the next Pokemon game. It wouldn't be too hard for them to have customizable clothing, etc. They could simply have the sprites of the different clothing overlap each other so it would look like it's a whole new sprite but really it's a bunch of different sprites all overlapping each other. That way they wouldn't have to make a sprite for every combination.

The new region that would make sense is possibly one in the mountains above Johto and Kanto. Not only would this allow for you to visit Johto and Kanto in the games, it would be mountainous and not put any emphasis on water Pokemon like the 3rd gen.

Spire III, really like your idea of temperature, but you need to remember that this is a kid's game and that might a bit too complex for them to work around.

Top Bottom