• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Points of clarification about Casual Vs. Competitive that everyone needs to read(WOP)

D

Deleted member

Heh the funny thing is, the only reason it's poison is because you let it bite at you...

In other words, the stupidity would eventually die if you avoid getting defensive over every thing you disagree with...
Agreed. If u dont answer them, theres no debate.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Heh the funny thing is, the only reason it's poison is because you let it bite at you...

In other words, the stupidity would eventually die if you avoid getting defensive over every thing you disagree with...
No, it's poison because having a big chunk of smashboards' userbase opposed and ignorant about one of the place's main problems is a big problem. Also any new member here is likely to go straight to the Brawl forums, where misinformation is being thrown around like candy on Halloween.

flyinfilipino who cares if what I said was obvious. At least I'm stating something that's TRUE.
And holy crap why is it that so many people are incapable of seeing "Nintendude" and then typing it correctly. I'm not pointing fingers at you, I'm just saying that I see it all the freaking time LOL

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
No, it's poison because having a big chunk of smashboards' userbase opposed and ignorant about one of the place's main problems is a big problem. Also any new member here is likely to go straight to the Brawl forums, where misinformation is being thrown around like candy on Halloween.

flyinfilipino who cares if what I said was obvious. At least I'm stating something that's TRUE.
And holy crap why is it that so many people are incapable of seeing "Nintendude" and then typing it correctly. I'm not pointing fingers at you, I'm just saying that I see it all the freaking time LOL
Dude, don't freak out (over your name either, heh, sorry). If it was obvious, then we all agree and there's no problem, right? Right.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Nintendude you ok? I think you're taking this game waaay to serious.
Way to judge me based on some words I typed on the internet. Anyone can add a serious tone to their posts with clever diction and use of caps.

And I'm just sitting here looking over multivariable calculus (probably not the best way to study lol <_<) notes refreshing the page every minute. It's not like I'm glued to the screen 24/7 trying to shoot down everyone's posts.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Way to judge me based on some words I typed on the internet. Anyone can add a serious tone to their posts with clever diction and use of caps.

And I'm just sitting here looking over multivariable calculus (probably not the best way to study lol <_<) notes refreshing the page every minute. It's not like I'm glued to the screen 24/7 trying to shoot down everyone's posts.
Dude, I'm doing the exact same thing (except we're probably not studying the same calculus).

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord

Ok. Just wanted to make sure everything was ok with you. I was only asking out of concern.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

You consider ignorance a direct threat to you then? That's kind of silly really. Really, trying to smite ignorance on the internet is the equalivant of trying to pull the moon out of the sky by skewering it with a toothpick.

The thing is this topic is upon 50 pages and only two or three people at the most have change there mind, and those you claim are ignorant are still doing the same things they were before.

My point is, the ignorant ones tend to yell louder which is why most are best ignored, wihtout someone to yell at they're claims are pointless (Even less then if you response to them) The problem is here now you have a topic which suggest to new members that there is an intense hostility towards entire userbases on the boards.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
If we could all agree on this one definition, then we could say that the vast majority of people here on Smashboards are competitive, but there might be people here that obviously want to learn to be competitive, and we can help them, but those that don't are pretty obvious and we should ignore their rude posts and rants, and that this argument is pointless.
I think that on the Brawl boards alone that there are many "casual" players.

Garuda

Smash Ace
The game was made for variety. I believe we should all play it the way we want, and not judge the ways others play it or try and change it. I'M GUESSING (please note what I said there) that there are plenty of people that care about Melee only for the money, but who cares? That's the way they want to play it.

Why do you think Sakurai is giving us a freaking crapload of features? So we can play however the hell we want. You don't like Temple, don't play it (just fyi, it's my favorite stage). Seriously, I don't really know what I'm trying to say in this post, I've had one heck of a day so I'm probably not thinking clearly, so please don't go too rough on this post.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Almost no one ever types my screen name like it is "NES n00b." It is either part of my name, different caps, zeros turn into Os lowercase and uppercase, and or there is an underscore inbetween the two words. Yup.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I think that on the Brawl boards alone that there are many "casual" players.
Yeah, because they're all looking forward to seeing what's up with the new game. However, I don't think any of them are really looking at this thread.

@Garuda: No worries. Deep down, we all agree. But here we've got a whole bunch of disgruntled competitive players arguing about nothing in particular.

RDK

Smash Hero
Almost ever refers to me by "NES n00b." It is either part of my name, different caps, zeros turn into Os lowercase and uppercase, and or there is an underscore inbetween the two words. Yup.
I just call you NES. :p

Nintendude

Smash Hero
You consider ignorance a direct threat to you then? That's kind of silly really. Really, trying to smite ignorance on the internet is the equalivant of trying to pull the moon out of the sky by skewering it with a toothpick.

The thing is this topic is upon 50 pages and only two or three people at the most have change there mind, and those you claim are ignorant are still doing the same things they were before.

My point is, the ignorant ones tend to yell louder which is why most are best ignored, wihtout someone to yell at they're claims are pointless (Even less then if you response to them) The problem is here now you have a topic which suggest to new members that there is an intense hostility towards entire userbases on the boards.
I never said to me specifically. What I really meant is the rising community that is going to be based mostly on Brawl. I don't feel like really explaining this and think that I've made my point clear enough.

Sliq

Smash Master
@flyinfilipino:

Where are all of these casuals that are going to step up and beat us veterans? I offered up a 100$ MM to give them an opportunity to prove me wrong, and the only person to accept lives in San Diego, thousands of miles away.

Seriously, if you want to prove that casuals can compete, then play me, and either beat me or at least put up a good fight. But no one seems to want to PROVE anything, and instead opt to dance around using flawed logic about potential, an unmeasurable, intangible thing.

You guys want proof that casuals can compete, I'm offering you guys the opportunity, but no one wants to take the offer.

We have plenty of proof, however. All we have to do is scroll down the tournament results lists for almost any tournament and look at all the casuals NOT placing high.

Man up, casuals.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Yeah, because they're all looking forward to seeing what's up with the new game. However, I don't think any of them are really looking at this thread.

@Garuda: No worries. Deep down, we all agree. But here we've got a whole bunch of disgruntled competitive players arguing about nothing in particular.
It's a shame that they aren't here because they were the people that this thread was directed towards, the ones who never knew the MLG rules. I honestly think they read the thread and didn't bother to respond because they knew that they were wrong.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
@flyinfilipino:

Where are all of these casuals that are going to step up and beat us veterans? I offered up a 100$ MM to give them an opportunity to prove me wrong, and the only person to accept lives in San Diego, thousands of miles away.

Seriously, if you want to prove that casuals can compete, then play me, and either beat me or at least put up a good fight. But no one seems to want to PROVE anything, and instead opt to dance around using flawed logic about potential, an unmeasurable, intangible thing.

You guys want proof that casuals can compete, I'm offering you guys the opportunity, but no one wants to take the offer.

We have plenty of proof, however. All we have to do is scroll down the tournament results lists for almost any tournament and look at all the casuals NOT placing high.

Man up, casuals.
I would, but I live in NC and I've no way of getting anywhere out of this city. That and I've got exams and stuff to worry about for now. Sorry.

Besides, one casual person fighting one competitive player won't represent the whole Smash community as a whole, so what's the point?

@NintendoWarrior: I'm fairly well, kinda tired now from having to carry the burden of representing the 'casuals' in this argument. The majority of the 'casuals' on this board are busy speculating about Brawl anyway. I feel like defending them because I considered myself a casual player, although according to many definitions displayed so far, I"m 'competitive'. So, yeah. Also, I really should be studying.

Sliq

Smash Master
I would, but I live in NC and I've no way of getting anywhere out of this city. That and I've got exams and stuff to worry about for now. Sorry.

Besides, one casual person fighting one competitive player won't represent the whole Smash community as a whole, so what's the point?
No, but you have to start somewhere.

And I hadn't planned on fighting only one casual. I was hoping to fight EVERY casual that lives within 100 miles of the 3 locations I listed. That is PLENTY of people to do a relatively good study, but no one is stepping up.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
No, but you have to start somewhere.

And I hadn't planned on fighting only one casual. I was hoping to fight EVERY casual that lives within 100 miles of the 3 locations I listed. That is PLENTY of people to do a relatively good study, but no one is stepping up.
That's better, but then they'd only be fighting against you, and no offense, but you can't represent the entire competitive community yourself. So, ya know?

Though if I ever get Brawl and have access to Wi-fi too, I'd be glad to fight you. Apparently I'm a mean Pikachu.

Also, see the below post.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
@flyinfilipino:

Man up, casuals.
100% Right. the casuals (according to my definition) are saying stuff with no evidence.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
100% Right. the casuals (according to my definition) are saying stuff with no evidence.
But according to your definition as well, it looks like the real 'casuals' on this thread have been few and far between anyway. I just see a whole bunch of competitive players bickering over nothing now.

Sliq

Smash Master
I bet if you made a thread about your challenge somewhere you'd get a better response.
That **** would get closed so fast it would be ridiculous, but I may try it anyways.

I tried it on G-Faqs, but they were all talk there.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I could beat your Jiggs, Sliq. No problem. Hell, I'd even do it AlphaZealot style---one handed.

I'll be more than happy to man up to you, son.

/sarcasm. <----- Dear Lord, was that sarcasm.

Smooth Criminal

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's a shame that they aren't here because they were the people that this thread was directed towards, the ones who never knew the MLG rules. I honestly think they read the thread and didn't bother to respond because they knew that they were wrong.
Mostly far end casuals that know absolutely nothing about the MLG probably aren't even on this forum, watching updates, or care about the debate. Just like mentioned earlier how the Far end Competitive "Pro" (I believe that's how I heard it being called) players don't inovlve themselves in the debate.

The casuals here seem to be the middle area from what I've taken in.

I will accept there is a large amount of lousy logic flying around, but after the four dozen forums I've been too it's just simply something you get used to after awhile.

I admit that many of the Competitve players have brought up solid points... do I feel that makes you automatically right... meh not really. Maybe I just prefer staying neutral.

Sliq

Smash Master
I could beat your Jiggs, Sliq. No problem. Hell, I'd even do it AlphaZealot style---one handed.

I'll be more than happy to man up to you, son.

/sarcasm. <----- Dear Lord, was that sarcasm.

Smooth Criminal
I lul'd. (10 char)

Del Money

Smash Champion
HUZZAH! DISCRIMINATION BASED ON VIDEO GAME SKILLS!

@Sliq
Is it really that much of a surprise that I apologized to what-his-face earlier for my mistake? It's called "having genitals"...

Top Bottom