• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pockys Don't Taste Good

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Link to original post: [drupal=808]Pockys Don't Taste Good[/drupal]

It's true.

With the excpetion of the 'Boards, every forum I go to has at least one thread about how good this Japanese treat is. You know, the users with psuedo-Japanese-sounding usernames and anime avatars post in these threads.

Let me say, before I go any further, that I have gotten over my hatred towards the 'Anime-Obsessed' community (also known as 'Wapanese' and 'Weeaboos').

But, really, come one.

Pockeys don't taste good! Or at least not as good as people say. They're just chocolate-dipped biscuits. That's it. I've had the same thing from Keeblers, the only difference is that Pockeys are stick-shaped... and Japanese. And yet, I never hear anyone rant about how good Keebler buiscuts are. But why?

In my opinion, the Keebler elves bake pretty good snacks, considering they live in a tree. Not quite up to par with Nabisco, but hey. They're a good secondary snack. But they get no love. Now, if they were, say, chibi-style ninjas or samurais or whatever and they originated in Japan, the nerd community would be all over them.

Before I stray farther away from the topic, my point is: Why do you think they're so **** good? Am I just missing something? Or is it the result of a placebo effect?

Please answer, I am truely confused.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Pockys are pretty good. People just think they're amazing because they're from Japan and I mean c'mon, people just seem to have this feeling about foriegn foods that are good to them. Also the fact that one of your friends may like them and then they give some to another person, and the cycle just keeps repeating. I don't know though...

I personally don't think they're that great, but some of that Japanese stuff is pretty good, like sushi, candy, and of course...videogames.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥They're filled with Lots of sugar and fattening! That's why! ^__^

♥In all seriousness, I find Pocky an enjoyable treat if not eaten regularly. I'd get pretty sick of them if I ate them frequently.....or even once a week.;)

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
They're pretty good but you have to eat like chocolate cake flavor, Mont Blanc flavor, Brazilian Pudding flavor, Limited winter edition flavor or some other good flavors.
Normal ones are boring.
You're right, they are overrated.

ndayday

BRoomer
Well, maybe if you ask yoursef what you DON'T see in them, you could just take the opposite and get your answer!

Sounds wierd, but it actually could work...

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Well, maybe if you ask yoursef what you DON'T see in them, you could just take the opposite and get your answer!

Sounds wierd, but it actually could work...
I'm pretty sure the reason people are wild about them is due to a placebo effect. They know it's Japanese, and they automatically tell themselves it's going to be better than any American snack.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Wait....

Pockys are Japanese?!?!?!?!?

I just thought they were some new snack made from an off-brand company lol.

They were ok, nothing special imo.

pockyD

Smash Legend
they aren't absurdly good; they are an acceptable and expectant amount of good for what they are ("chocolate-dipped biscuits", though it's not really chocolate only)

ndayday

BRoomer
they aren't absurdly good; they are an acceptable and expectant amount of good for what they are ("chocolate-dipped biscuits", though it's not really chocolate only)
How ironic, pocky replying to a Pocky topic. The avatar is even Pockys...:laugh:

I suppose we know what you had in mind when you made that username.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I personally prefer the Korean knock-off brand of Pocky as I grew up with it as a child. And because it's much easier to get overall for some reason. <_<

It's not amazing, but for what it is, it is pretty good.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Lulz, obviously this is your opinion.
I find broccoli absolutely horrendous. Yet others seem to enjoy it, its basically the same thing.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
You haven't been eating strawberry flavor.
Ditto : 3

I like anything that combines biscuit with something sweet like 'Cookies and Cream' ice cream. Pocky is tasty, and pretty cheap too.

Yeah, there are way better 'treats', but for about AU$2 a pop, I'd keep on eating them.
I like the ones that have chocolate AND nuts. Nuts are another favorite of mine. I used to eat Peanut chocolate slabs all the time. lol.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=808]Pockys Don't Taste Good[/drupal]

It's true.

With the excpetion of the 'Boards, every forum I go to has at least one thread about how good this Japanese treat is. You know, the users with psuedo-Japanese-sounding usernames and anime avatars post in these threads.

Let me say, before I go any further, that I have gotten over my hatred towards the 'Anime-Obsessed' community (also known as 'Wapanese' and 'Weeaboos').

But, really, come one.

Pockeys don't taste good! Or at least not as good as people say. They're just chocolate-dipped biscuits. That's it. I've had the same thing from Keeblers, the only difference is that Pockeys are stick-shaped... and Japanese. And yet, I never hear anyone rant about how good Keebler buiscuts are. But why?

In my opinion, the Keebler elves bake pretty good snacks, considering they live in a tree. Not quite up to par with Nabisco, but hey. They're a good secondary snack. But they get no love. Now, if they were, say, chibi-style ninjas or samurais or whatever and they originated in Japan, the nerd community would be all over them.

Before I stray farther away from the topic, my point is: Why do you think they're so **** good? Am I just missing something? Or is it the result of a placebo effect?

Amen brother, Pocky is only big because its got the japanese box and because its from japan. Thats it. If it was from America these **** suckin wannabe ***gots wouldn't be goin so ****in crazy over this ****. You answered you're own question in that post.

And they aren't that good. The only one that tastes remotely good is one they stoped making, but who gives a ****.

pockyD

Smash Legend
If it matters, I didn't actually take my name from the snacks, but it really doesn't.

It's just a standard snack. Some people like it, some people don't, some people are irrationally in love with it. You could say the same thing about funions.

.Revan.

Smash Rookie
Lulz, obviously this is your opinion.
I find broccoli absolutely horrendous. Yet others seem to enjoy it, its basically the same thing.
lawl. to the Broccoli
But one the whole pocky thing, i think it's good cause they're crunchy but the chocolate is to dark imo so i'm eh about them but for what it's worth it's not all bad.

I like those dip your own pocky sticks. or whatever they're called but they come in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.

AND >.< lol to the fact there's food topics on the boards.

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
I don't get people who like Japanese stuff. I hate the music, the animes(except Shin Chan) and some other stuff. Maybe it's cuz I grew up there.

Try Toppos. They're like Pocky with chocolate inside not outside.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I don't get people who like Japanese stuff. I hate the music, the animes(except Shin Chan) and some other stuff. Maybe it's cuz I grew up there.

Try Toppos. They're like Pocky with chocolate inside not outside.
Me either. But everybody likes what they like. Liking something just because it is Japanese seems wrong to me.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Oh, and you must've missed the newest "WTF" phase: Extreme Otaku freaks. "Japan this, Japan that, Japan this, Japan that, this anime, that anime, this anime, that anime, this hentai, must beat off to that Yaoi, must go to Japan just to read the f***ing MANGAS."
Gah! Why do you want to go to Japan just to read the MANGAS!? I'd be there for the LADIES XD Ok not really, but for more than a comic.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Oh, and you must've missed the newest "WTF" phase: Extreme Otaku freaks. "Japan this, Japan that, Japan this, Japan that, this anime, that anime, this anime, that anime, this hentai, must beat off to that Yaoi, must go to Japan just to read the f***ing MANGAS."
Gah! Why do you want to go to Japan just to read the MANGAS!? I'd be there for the LADIES.
I used to like Asian ladies.
Then I got good taste in women.

ook

Smash Lord
I saw a box of Pockys once, and it said "Men's" on it. :chuckle:
I thought it was hilarious that they had candy specifically for men only, so I got some. They were pretty good.

That's the only experience I've had with them though :/
I still don't understand why women can't eat them. :dizzy:

DZLE

Smash Master
Its another excuse to put a stick in my mouth.

... in all seriousness, Pocky is great. I went to japan in july, and they have those exclusive japanese flavors you dont see here. like cookies n cream n **** like that.
ITS GOOD.
the regular pocky that is just the chocolate dipped gets sickening after awhile.
but...
THE GOURMET POCKY DESTROYS.

EDIT: Oh and Ook, Men's Pocky is just another way for calling it Dark Chocolate flavored. Women are still allowed to eat them.

Tenki

Smash Hero
^holy crap, gourmet pocky is amazing.

You haven't been eating strawberry flavor.
I hate strawberry flavor :<

I'm not sure just how much variety of Asian food products you've tried, but I notice that alot of junk/snack food that you'd get in Asian countries (this isn't limited to pocky) tend to be not as sweet. You can blame it on economy or whatever, but there's not as much flavor.

And I take that as a good thing.

Seriously, alot of popular foods in America have this whole thing about 'packing as much FLAVOR' as possible into foods. You can get headaches eating too much of that stuff.

But hey, maybe it's actually a ploy to get people to stop eating junk food.

lol.
-------
PS.

There's a Korean food that's basically a Pocky copy.

It seems to be really popular with my Korean friends, so I think there might be something to the whole chocolate-dipped sticks than "OOOOHH IT'S FROM JAPAN LOLZ YEAHHH ANIME!"

-------
PPS.
Two words:
Yan Yan.

<3

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
New question: Why do some Pocky/Asian food fans tend to make such a big deal about it? I love Twix and Italian food, but I've never had the urge to tell people.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
New question: Why do some Pocky/Asian food fans tend to make such a big deal about it? I love Twix and Italian food, but I've never had the urge to tell people.
Because, "ZOMFG, IT'S FROM JAPAN!!! OMG I LOVEJAPAN!!!"

Answer your question? XD

Denzi

Smash Master
Because, "ZOMFG, IT'S FROM JAPAN!!! OMG I LOVEJAPAN!!!"

Answer your question? XD
That sums it up pretty well. I don't mind things that are Japanese, I'm just bothered by those who are completely obsessed with them.

And I don't think they taste that good either.

Tenki

Smash Hero
If it's an import and not something that you can normally buy at your local food store, I guess they could be suggesting you try it out. If I was somewhere like say, the Philippines, and I had some American candy, I'd probably offer it to my friends and be like "lol try thisss it's really sweet and your brain will explode" :<

otherwise, it's just Japanophile people lol.

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
you know why so many people like them?

o⋅pin⋅ion
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4. Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
6. a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

An opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something which it is either impossible to verify the truth of, or the truth of which is thought unimportant to the person. It is an assertion about something especially if that something lies in the future and its truth or falsity cannot be directly established e.g. induction. An opinion is not a fact, because opinions are either not falsifiable, or the opinion has not been proven or verified. If it later becomes proven or verified, it is no longer an opinion, but a fact.

The personal views and ideals of any particular human being (animals may very well have opinions as well, but I'll never know) that are generally revealed to others as a form of self expression. But can also be kept to oneself as not to be offensive or abtrusive.

that sums up the answer!!!

TIME FOR REFFERENCES!!!!!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?page=2&term=opinion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion

thats why people like them.they have opinions. what a silly question. *eats pocky*

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
They're definitely not bad, but they're not amazing either.

Its another excuse to put a stick in my mouth.

... in all seriousness, Pocky is great. I went to japan in july, and they have those exclusive japanese flavors you dont see here. like cookies n cream n **** like that.
ITS GOOD.
the regular pocky that is just the chocolate dipped gets sickening after awhile.
but...
THE GOURMET POCKY DESTROYS.

EDIT: Oh and Ook, Men's Pocky is just another way for calling it Dark Chocolate flavored. Women are still allowed to eat them.
Wait.... there's dark chocolate pockys?!

I withdraw my statement it is now, "pockys are ok, except Dark Chocolate pockys which are God's gift to mankind".

Yes, I am THAT confident that it will be amazing that I don't even need to try it first.

Ange

Smash Lord
Ive only eaten strawberry and the normal chocolate flavors.

They arent much to chew on, but they did taste good.

People who eat is JUST because its Japanese are lame. I wanted to try it cause alot of people said it tasted good, not because it was "japanese". v_v

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
you know why so many people like them?

o⋅pin⋅ion
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4. Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
6. a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

An opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something which it is either impossible to verify the truth of, or the truth of which is thought unimportant to the person. It is an assertion about something especially if that something lies in the future and its truth or falsity cannot be directly established e.g. induction. An opinion is not a fact, because opinions are either not falsifiable, or the opinion has not been proven or verified. If it later becomes proven or verified, it is no longer an opinion, but a fact.

The personal views and ideals of any particular human being (animals may very well have opinions as well, but I'll never know) that are generally revealed to others as a form of self expression. But can also be kept to oneself as not to be offensive or abtrusive.

that sums up the answer!!!

TIME FOR REFFERENCES!!!!!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?page=2&term=opinion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion

thats why people like them.they have opinions. what a silly question. *eats pocky*
That doesn't explain why so many Pocky fans rant on about them.

I love cheddar cheese. However, I don't feel like I need to spam forums telling everyone why they're so good. *coughgaiacough*

Ha, white people...

Top Bottom