• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
If its 500 hours put into a stage, it must be the Taj Mahal of stages. Or maybe there's some new feature added to stages..?

Shin F.

Smash Master
If its 500 hours put into a stage, it must be the Taj Mahal of stages. Or maybe there's some new feature added to stages..?
You'd be surprised how much detail goes into some stages. Just look at Metal Cavern HD. Not just the stage itself, but all the background elements.

The work in something like this is insane. Modeling and making textures for each individual background element - the crystals, walls, floors, ceilings, ledges, lamps, red scaffold things, that one sign you can see just on the right, etc. And then tweaking UVs so the textures don't get stretched, making materials to make sure they show up right (no transparency issues) and to make the crystals shiny, then setting up lighting, collisions, camera, blast zones, and finally making sure the stage is relatively balanced. In-game testing to make sure it's glitchless and doesn't lag. And then there are those stages with animated elements, like Balloon Fighter in the background of the Ice Climber stage. I'm not surprised a stage could take 500 hours if they're anywhere near this level, especially at such a high level of quality.

Llama Juice

Smash Apprentice
You're my favorite @ Shin F. Shin F.

Metal Cavern had some stuff cut from it as well because it wasn't feasible to get it to look good without being distracting.

Here was one example from before I did any of the lighting on it. http://i.imgur.com/ibpg1Sk.gifv

For a while we also had the stage be a lot darker with a lot more colorful crystals. It was too noisy though in the background and made it difficult to keep track of characters and projectiles in a fast paced setting so we toned it down quite a bit.

I always like seeing the evolution of a design. So hopefully you guys like that kind of stuff too.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
That's awesome! I really love to see previous versions of something for the same reason. Glad to see the PMDT enjoying their work! And thanks for all that hard work to create these awesome stages and mod!

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master

Metal Cavern had some stuff cut from it as well because it wasn't feasible to get it to look good without being distracting.

Here was one example from before I did any of the lighting on it. http://i.imgur.com/ibpg1Sk.gifv

For a while we also had the stage be a lot darker with a lot more colorful crystals. It was too noisy though in the background and made it difficult to keep track of characters and projectiles in a fast paced setting so we toned it down quite a bit.

I always like seeing the evolution of a design. So hopefully you guys like that kind of stuff too.
<3

Ohh, cool stuff! Yeah, It's always fun to see how things evolved. The darker version with the colorful crystals looks really cool. The high contrast really makes everything pop - of course, that's also precisely why it would be so distracting in a battle.
A stage as a playable character. Final Destination confirmed as a playable character.
No Fox, Items Only, Final Destination?

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Oh yeah. For some reason you had me thinking of Luke Skywalker.

But yeah, I really wanna see EB64 Lucas too. And a DC/MC outfit, and a Good Kid outfit.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
THEY'RE FINALLY ADDING THE GIANT TINGLE HEAD STAGE I'VE BEEN SENDING LETTERS ABOUT, I KNOW IT.

That reminds me, it'd be neat if they added Great Bay from Melee into the next update, preferably using new Majora's Mask 3D visuals. I wouldn't mind if it went over Skyloft or the Pirate Ship, though if they chose the latter, poor Toon Link wouldn't have a stage.

I also want more new event modes: Multiman Smash with 64 Foxes on Final Destination only.

Aw, man, those things look AWESOME!! It's a shame that they were taken out.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Great Bay?

If any Casual Melee stages need to make a return, it's PokeFloats. No questions asked.

Stamina Mode,
No Blast Zones,
Regular Knockback,
PokeFloats,
Dedede only

Last edited:

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
That reminds me, it'd be neat if they added Great Bay from Melee into the next update, preferably using new Majora's Mask 3D visuals. I wouldn't mind if it went over Skyloft or the Pirate Ship, though if they chose the latter, poor Toon Link wouldn't have a stage.
Holy yes, Great Bay is my all-time favorite stage.

You could say it's... Great.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You'd be surprised how much detail goes into some stages. Just look at Metal Cavern HD. Not just the stage itself, but all the background elements.

The work in something like this is insane. Modeling and making textures for each individual background element - the crystals, walls, floors, ceilings, ledges, lamps, red scaffold things, that one sign you can see just on the right, etc. And then tweaking UVs so the textures don't get stretched, making materials to make sure they show up right (no transparency issues) and to make the crystals shiny, then setting up lighting, collisions, camera, blast zones, and finally making sure the stage is relatively balanced. In-game testing to make sure it's glitchless and doesn't lag. And then there are those stages with animated elements, like Balloon Fighter in the background of the Ice Climber stage. I'm not surprised a stage could take 500 hours if they're anywhere near this level, especially at such a high level of quality.
...Holy ****.

It's taken me over 15 years to realize the stage was supposed to be based on the level from Super Mario 64. (Although the PM version actually looks the part, which is amazing.)

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
...Holy ****.

It's taken me over 15 years to realize the stage was supposed to be based on the level from Super Mario 64. (Although the PM version actually looks the part, which is amazing.)
That's nothing, it took me 16 years to realize Shiek and Zelda were the same person.

*puts hands on hips*
*grins*
*looks up*
*marches away*

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
...Holy ****.

That's nothing, it took me 16 years to realize Shiek and Zelda were the same person.

*puts hands on hips*
*grins*
*looks up*
*marches away*
Yet we still don't know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
THEY'RE FINALLY ADDING THE GIANT TINGLE HEAD STAGE I'VE BEEN SENDING LETTERS ABOUT, I KNOW IT.

I also want more new event modes: Multiman Smash with 64 Foxes on Final Destination only.

Aw, man, those things look AWESOME!! It's a shame that they were taking out.
I really wish they'd find a quality way of adding new stages without replacing old ones. That would be only slightly less hype-worthy than a new character.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I'm (almost) positive that people have yet to make a Stage Expansion method that allows for Random Stage Select to work soundly.

I don't know I it's simply because any stages beyond the amount of vBrawl don't appear on the Random Stage Select On/Off screen, but that certainly plays a part.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Holy yes, Great Bay is my all-time favorite stage.

You could say it's, great.
Especially given that Majora's Mask 3D so recently came out, could be Project M's way to celebrate, eh?

Looking back at Melee's stage list, there are so many good stages that they had. Definitely wouldn't mind if they brought a few more back. I definitely want every Smash 64 stage back and remastered.

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Especially given that Majora's Mask 3D so recently came out, could be Project M's way to celebrate, eh?

Looking back at Melee's stage list, there are so many good stages that they had. Definitely wouldn't mind if they brought a few more back. I definitely want every Smash 64 stage back and remastered.
Indeed. There are a few cut Brawl stages that I'd like to see come back too. We just need to get past the stage limitation so we can bring them back.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Yo we need a Gyromite stage for ROB.

When the wizards figure out how to add extra stages with random working of course.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I still liked them haha.

I'd go crazy for another Earthbound stage, or Mr. Saturn cameos present in those stages. Like walking in the background or something or in/driving one of the cars in Onett

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Fluff does not make a good stage.

Well, with maybe one exception...
Magicant is a great stage. The only problem with it involves those stupid flying men.

Though speaking of Earthbound stages. I'd love to see a New Pork City stage that doesn't suck. Maybe something that actually takes place within the city, and not some random platforms in front of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom