• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please Help Settle An Arguement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilik 64

Smash Rookie
Y halo thar, everyone. I was hoping you good people of Smash World could help settle an arguement for me. I don't seriously expect anyone here to read through those 13 pages unless it's for fun. I think the real issue started at... i wanna say the end of page 8/beginning of page 9.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32197/t1378674-this-competitive-stuffs-joke/

Basically, the thread started with some member raging at how Brawl isn't made for competitive people and whatnot, and how he needed his own thread to complain about it (we get that alot, unfortunately). Suffice to say, it quickly turned from a discussion about the competitiveness of Brawl to every other Brawl Sux thread we get and I'm sure you guys see pretty often as well.

The real problem started with AlMoStLeGeNdArY, this Marth main who got his *** handed to him at Apex, taking the stance that the only thing that matters in Brawl is skill, and that was the end of the discussion. My viewpoint (and I believe that of most everyone else in the arguement) is that while skill is definitely most important, the character you chose to a certain extent has at least some impact the outcome of a fight. Not to say that picking MK or Snake means you will insta win, or that you can blame your loss on picking a bottom tier character is an excuse for losing. Let's just say that in matchups like Ike vs. Falco, it helps if you're Falco. I suppose that's what I'm trying to say

My opinion is clearly invalid towards him since I don't participate in the tournament scene, so I was hoping some of you that do could give your opinions on the matter and possibly put Neo's latest flame war to bed.

EDIT: Also, I am deeply apologetic if this should have been in the General Discussion and not Tactical Discussion. It just seemed to me that, based on the topic, it fit best here. Again, sorry if I was wrong.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I skimmed to AlMoStLeGeNdArY, then knew I was in for some entertainment.

Yes, matchups do affect the outcome. Yes, you can win by being the better player. No, AL doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Scarzig

Smash Rookie
It doesn't matter how many people are on what side. The flame war won't end.

In Brawl, some of the matchups are so one-sided, (the one that comes to mind is G&W versus Jiggs) that it forces secondaries. We are probably in the same boat in that I too think matchups play a part in the fight, and knowing when to switch characters definately factors into the tournament scene .

I play characters I like, if they have an advantage against your character, then switch, don't whine. That's how my friends and I play. ( And that's really all that matters unless you are in tournaments constantly, which I'm not.)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

Yes, matchups do affect the outcome. Yes, you can win by being the better player. No, AL doesn't really know what he's talking about.
So seeing as you're a sheik main if you were to beat a MK. What would contribute to that factor that you won a match up that wasn't in your favor?

.AC.

Smash Lord

nobody there seems to know what they are talking about

C.J.

Smash Master

I'm still not sure if he really doesn't or if he's just a troll...

If everyone was knowledgable, who would be laughed at?

AL would be.

KirbyHyrule

Smash Rookie
Hah, something tells me that dragging this from Neo into Smash Boards will result in more of what Almost calls "meat sliding".

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Neither skill nor matchup alone determines the outcome of a match. Someone could play Link very well, for example, but still lose to some decent-at-best metaknights. However, that doesn't mean picking MK will guarantee you the win against this Link main.

Too assume either factor soley determines the outcome is foolish.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So seeing as you're a sheik main if you were to beat a MK. What would contribute to that factor that you won a match up that wasn't in your favor?
Being that much better of a player? If a matchup weren't in my favor and I were exactly as good as the Meta Knight, guess who would definitely win the majority of our games?

Maybe you just doesn't know.

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
The funniest thing is that AL Avatar is even an undercover troll...Just look at it...
haha, I kinda see it.

If I was a troll my join date would be like Jun 2008 and I'd have like 27 post.
so I herd that you act like an idiot on the boards as well.

GG. I was hoping you'd be a tad bit more intelligent cos trolls like you get dealt with quick here.

honestly, what a shame. Anyways, I'm not taking this here as well. You were banned from neo

I (we) win :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom