• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

please desticky and replace with new thread. link to new thread in OP if needed

maskeXD

Smash Apprentice
Man, I was playing yesterday, when I decided to play with Ivysaur aganist a Ness, well... I never lost to an Ivysaur with Ness, but... I never lost to a Ness with Ivysaur... That probably means I'm too adicted to Ness.

Also I thinkIvy is effective aganist Pikachu, but only if you camp.

EDIT: A very shallow analisis of IC, just to start:

Squirtle: Not very effective: IC haven't got an air game as good as squirt's, but THEY'VE GOT HAMMERS (f****** disjointed hitbox!!!) and THEY'RE TWO, so, if you are lucky enough to hit one of them,the other will hit with the attack the first was supposed to do. :ohwell: You can't keep on ground because of those Ice Shots and they're a pain to KO, since squirt ain't got attacks to separate them or to KO just Nana.

Ivysaur: Super Effective: They've got disjointed hitboxes, right? But you've got more!!! :chuckle: Just keep them away and separate them with Bullet Seed an up smash. Up smash is good because if Popo air dodge it, Nana will take a while to do this and will be caught by the attack and will fly away, leading them to doom:laugh:.

Charizard: Super Effective: (but not as Ivy) Keep them back with f-air and flamethrower. FT can also stop those annoying Ice Shots. Separate them with Rock Smash(It will probably send one upwards and the other a little bit more horizontally), Earthquake and Fly, yes , Fly. It has a lot of different hitboxes along the way and a very high chance of sending them different ways.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
yea, i definitely think zard is good against pika. he can kill so easily.

also- can someone give a reason why sheik is good against ivy? really thought ivysaur would at least be even, but if someone could explain it then... lol thanks.:confused:
Well it's been sometime since i played that sheik player. Mainly what i found the most annoying of sheik is that when she gets close you are pretty much dead. Sheik will just combo you wherever you go, she can rack up some quick damage, and kill with her smash moves. Ivysaur does better than her far range, but i think the leaves are dodgeable by the her Side B. really depends how good the sheik player is, you can say the samething for zard but the fact is that zard has more spacing moves and does batter in close range then ivysaur. This is just what i found out from him, someone can confirm this

Jebin_Zedalu

Smash Cadet
I heard somewhere that the knockback is greater on attacks of a certain element against each Pokemon... For example, Charizard's Fly against Ivysaur. Is this true? It's the only way I can see Squirtle being weak to Ivysaur, Ivysaur being weak to Charizard, and Charizard being weak to Squirtle. I never get chances to play against a fellow PT user in an offline, non-laggy match, due to apparently living in an area where NO ONE owns Brawl, but it seems to me that each Pokemon's weakness would be the exact opposite of what it is.

maskeXD

Smash Apprentice
I heard somewhere that the knockback is greater on attacks of a certain element against each Pokemon... For example, Charizard's Fly against Ivysaur. Is this true? It's the only way I can see Squirtle being weak to Ivysaur, Ivysaur being weak to Charizard, and Charizard being weak to Squirtle. I never get chances to play against a fellow PT user in an offline, non-laggy match, due to apparently living in an area where NO ONE owns Brawl, but it seems to me that each Pokemon's weakness would be the exact opposite of what it is.
It FEELS like true. I don't know but Zard is pushed back more by a WG than Ivy, which is weird, since Zard is heavier... Also, Ivy seem to die easier to Fly than Squirt... But even if that doesn't apply, I still think their effectiveness were well analyzed.

vericz

Smash Champion
I'll try to fill in the blanks since i have been playing link IC and peach mains.

Link- Charizard has the best chance vs link, link is easily killed if he is off the stage and very easily gimped. I would say squirt and ivysaur are neutral, its not too hard to play a link with them but they are still not as good as charizard in this matchup.

IC- This really isnt a good matchup for charizard. Grabs and blizzards deal too much damage and charizards grabs arent very effective either, I would hate to put him as not very effective but if you cant get the feel for this matchup you may want to switch or start with a different pokemon, ftilts and dtilts will also help in this matchup. Squirtle does a bit better because of his quick air game but you have to space and time them properly. Hydroplaned upsmashes for easy KOs. Ivy is neutral, just play her well and camp a bit.

Peach-Charizard is very effective, just have to careful with peaches air game. squirtle is neutral and ivy kind of goes towards not very effective but i would say neutral

Earthstrike

Smash Rookie
Not sure if anyone pointed this out yet, But toon link is missing from the chart.

Edit, My bad he's there, Plz delete this.

peeup

Smash Lord
This opinion probably shouldn't be considered too deeply, but...

Ice Climbers:

Squirtle: Super Effective, Squirtle's great air game can help keep him from getting grabbed. He can go in and out with fairs and bairs, staying away from the IC's grab range.

Ivysaur: Neutral, Ivy can keep away an Ice Block spam with Razor Leaf, and might be able to prevent a grab with bulletseed, because IC's don't have a particularly long grab range.

Charizard: Not Very Effective, Zard is a big, somewhat slow character, and can be easily grabbed. Easy prey for Ice Block spam, because jumping over them would leave him partially vulnerable to a grab combo. Long grab range won't help much--if popo is grabbed, nana can still attack.

Please take (many) other people's opinions, too, because I don't know the ICs that well. I mained them in melee, so I figured I might be able to help some.

schof

Smash Rookie
Ice Climbers Matchup

I am a PT second main and a IC third main. My opinion on this matchup agrees completely with maskeXD.

Squirtle doesn't have priority or hitboxes to interrupt a desynch and the ice stops his shellshifting/ground games. The air approaches are limited by the SH breath and the SH Nair. IC's approach well with the squall and the desynched nanasmash, squirtle cant punish either very easily. For the gimping/edgecamping, squirtle can hope to seperate with the dair or fair on the wench but with the sweetspotting tether this is not so much a problem. The only advantage to squirtle is that he avoids the Grab chain pretty nice, especially if you get inside with the u-tilt on the climbers, it knocks them both around and they have a tougher time DIing out than other characters. I vote not very effective.

Ivysaur has everything necessary to step up to the climbers. AAA stops the incoming ice and razor leaf is faster than the ice. Dealing with the desynch can be achieved with a razor leaf dash attack(situational but better than squirtle). Grab range is alot larger as is smash range so if careful ivy can keep away from the chain. Obviously bullet seed is sweet against the climbers, but my favorite is the SH bair, it often will seperate the climbers, which is nice. I say super effective.

Charizard is the hardest decision for me. He has some nice seperation moves, FT and fair like maskeXD said, but he has a tough time with desynched ice or desynched smashes. Additionally, hitting zard with the squall is easy which sets up alot of nice stuff. My main complaint, and this might be my lack of skill, I always miss with rock smash against the climbers. :( In general I think zard is neutral against IC's. oh and the u-tilt against zard is **** :( :(

These are just my opinions, and I am sure that it varys depending on the opposing IC player. Sorry I cant help with the other two missing characters.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
I think squirtle has somewhat of an avantage over sonic, he can turn around sonics air chasing and mostly dominates sonic in the air, also he is small and his croucth is VERY low so he can avoid a lot of sonics ground stuff by crouching(not his ball stuf but alot of normals.). Also hydroplanning works wonders and short hop down air is a great aproach.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Is DeDeDe really that good of matchup for squirtle? I have trouble approaching a campy DeDeDe, and his bair makes it hard for me to aerial combo him. The DeDeDe I play is extremely defensive, and it's hard for me to fight him that way. The best I cand do is keep him guessing, and confuse him with shellshifting and water gun, and hope to aerial combo him. I'm just starting to learn how to use squirtle, Ivysaur is my strong point.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Well, quick answer here, so it might not be indepth. Squirtle can get in with a quick shellshift/mixed aerial approach and then go in with some grabs or up tilt. Because of Dedede's size, you can get 2-3 u-tilts in there easily (they combo into themselves), then you can follow it up in the air with u-air and f-air's/b-airs. I think Card said he did a 70% combo on a dedede.

Note, you can crawl under waddle dee spam so he can't really camp with that.

YukioElios

Smash Rookie
I've played 46 matches last Saturday, everyone of them PKMN Trainer vs Wolf. Here's my impressions

Ivysaur - advantage. Razor Leaves clashes with his Blaster and both have about the same draw time, so that you can approach campers. And since you have good range attacks, if you have nice spacing you can counter his loungings smashes.
Bullet Seed has a good damage imput on him too, as he falls quite fast (not like Fox, but still). Can also be linked from up throw easier than most characters.
Short hop retreating + Fair = aggressive wolf's demise.

Charizard - advantage. Rock Smash shards can be used to safely approach a camping wolf and tilts have better priorities than wolf's. Up smash can link 2~3 times when Wolf is on low percent.
Also, it takes quite a while for Wolf to ko Charizard while both wolf's recovers are subjected to meteors given you have timing.

Squirtle - disadvantage - Wolf is fast enough to react Squirtle's game and blaster + fsmash is hard to be countered by the tiny turtle pokémon.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Um... I think you have charizard and ivysaur backwards.

I've played quite a few pokemon trainers with my sonic (sonic main) and let me tell you. I love nothing more than going up against Charizard and Ivysaur is a pain in the butt. He has good range, a decent projectile and strong uptilt/aerial attacks.

The only thing sonic really has on ivysaur is raw speed (which well, he has on most) and the ability to quickly grab the ledge before ivysaur can recover... but what?... ivysaur can dish out a projectile to stop sonic.

PM me if you think your Charizard is up to the task, I'll record it and throw it on youtube.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
New update! Not many revisions, but we do have data for all characters now. Keep those revisions coming!

darkNES, i'd like to fight your Sonic sometime...never seen a GOOD Sonic before, so it would be interesting!

TheLake

Smash Master
Yes yes Now that ive played a good sonic (DarkNEs ^_^) please do as he says.

Ivysaur definatly is the contender in that matchup (yay) and charizard certainly isnt (boo...)

Get to it you (:

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
So the matchups so far are:

Ivy:
good 17
even 17
bad 5

squirtle:
good 12
even 17
bad 10

Charizard:
good 10
even 17
bad 12

So Ivysaur is is the best of the three matchup wise with very few bad amtchups and many more good ones, interesting.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
New update! Not many revisions, but we do have data for all characters now. Keep those revisions coming!

darkNES, i'd like to fight your Sonic sometime...never seen a GOOD Sonic before, so it would be interesting!
Gladly. Later this week though.

Yes yes Now that ive played a good sonic (DarkNEs ^_^) please do as he says.

Ivysaur definatly is the contender in that matchup (yay) and charizard certainly isnt (boo...)

Get to it you (:
Haha, well yes, until someone comes along and shows me otherwise, that is how I feel. Ivysaur has good range and most attacks come out quite fast. All his up attacks (tilts, b moves, upsmash) pretty much prevent sonic from attack from the skies.

Charizard just isn't fast enough. I think he's one of sonic's easiest character to combo. His recovery is slow and makes him a sitting... errr flying duck for Sonic's many approaches.

I'll gladly play a few pk trainers to further research this stuff.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I'm curious as to the Ivysaur Pit match up. Neutral? Pit's arrows can easily force Ivysaur into an aproach, something Ivysaur is horrible at. Razor Leaf cancels with the arrow at best, and aproaching from the air isn't the best idea. Maybe I'm just too inexperienced with the character, but I would at least like to know the reasoning behind it.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to the Ivysaur Pit match up. Neutral? Pit's arrows can easily force Ivysaur into an aproach, something Ivysaur is horrible at. Razor Leaf cancels with the arrow at best, and aproaching from the air isn't the best idea. Maybe I'm just too inexperienced with the character, but I would at least like to know the reasoning behind it.
This is now going to change, what was listed before was against the spammy pit. but seriously, how hard is it to roll dodge aproach some times? that is what i do every time i play a spammy pit. just fake them into using their Side B. You can eaisly do a F smash into that w/o taking enough damage. basically it depends how smart your pit player is, but then again, it matters how smart everyone is in the end :laugh:

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
As soon as I start rolling, he dashes out to meet me, grabs me, throws me up and hits me with Uair. The Pit won't continue the arrows if they're not working. So to not get grabbed, I've got to go in the air, where I'm prime target for Pit's Bair or Fair.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Could someone explain to me how Ivysaur beats Lucario and why he and Zard are tied?
This is the explanation from Fearmy

Jeez This Joke is getting annoying to understand :)

ok i have got Lucario Down and i'm plannign to do the space animals next

Squirt- Not Very Effective. Jeez since Lucario has that gay guts skill, he can easily own squirtle. Squirtle is mainly about racking up damage, and lucario can use that damage against him. i mean aerial frenzy, and lucario gets a lucky Down Smash kills him

Ivy- YES, SO SUPER EFFECTIVE!!! since she can kill at low %'s Lucario has a tough time. I nearly 3 stocked a lvl 9 comp and a lucario player (i did on the player) She pretty much does the Neutral Air, If last hit doesn't hit, Bullet seed and then D throw and F air.

Zard- Neutral. This guy just well can either killing lucario or getting killed. It's just that lucario's guts gets cancled by Zard's weight, but zard does a lot of damage, so lucario can easily get to like 150, and then again Zard can kill this guy around 100%. Lucario is well a nice floaty character who can adapt to air if he needs to. just a bit confusing :confused:
.... this is just what he thought and nobody disagreed... If you do.. please give your reasons and what you think it should be.

As for the Ivy and Charizard being tied.... what do you mean be tied?

MysticKenji

Smash Master
"he" was referring to Lucario >_>

I don't really see how Lucario has a tough time vs Ivy, considering she can't really kill and her few moves that do kill telegraph themselves.

Lucario can also camp better, recover better and edgeguard better.

washy

Smash Apprentice
Faclo ***** the pkm trainer. Squirtle is at least tied if not better than falco because of aerial game and as a bonus can approach falco without getting laser spamed unlike the other two.

Ivysaur has huge problems.Falco reflects ivysaurs razor leaf easily and can punish ivysaurs attacks due to the lag.

Charizard's flamthrower and rock smash(rock pieces) are reflected. Charizards large body + weight make him easy for a lot of falco's combos. Not as bad as ivysaur but not good.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Changing Olimar Match-Up

there were some conflicting opinions on olimar, i erred with Hydde's analysis. most agree that squirtle is a red, but ivysaur and charizard range from neutral to super effective. ivysaur is okay, but you are OUTRANGED by olimar, and range is usually what ivysaur prides itself in. however, you still have razor leaves at your disposal. so i think this is neutral.

charizard is a favorite because he can kill pikmin with both ft and rocks but olimar can completely WRECK you in the air. and that's how you are going to be approaching olimar most of the time, so if a good olimar decides to go on the offensive, i think you are in trouble. neutral imo, all things considered.

but if you do disagree (and i know a few of you do), feel free to explain...but REALLY explain. perhaps we need a good handful of judgments to settle it?

not sure on the ivy vs squirtle debate, i got one neutral and one in ivy's favor. i'll go with ivy for now, but if you disagree, feel free to explain!
Basically a great, short explanation.

Currently Olimar is set at Squirtle = Neutral, Ivysaur = Neutral, Charizard = Super Effective

I am proposing: Squirtle: = Disadvantage, Ivysaur: = Neutral., Charizard: = Neutral

My friend now decided that olimar will be his main for sure and has put Marth back to second. What this means is that i play an olly that has the ability to go from defense shield grab smash or range and immediately change it into an offensive marth-like short creature that has range on top of it. Bear with me here... long explanations.. and long post.

Here are what i could find on the Olimar discussion for a review for all.

Olimar:
I fought for first time a good campy olimar yesterday and this was what i notcied.

Squirtle: Disadvantage.
Definitely the less efective of the 3. His range is too small to beat a campy olimar. Not to mention that Olimar smashes allof em hurt a lot and has wide range. Like someone said before, what hurts the most is the aerial slap. Ull find urself working A LOT to hit him, and he will hit you wirth ease and built up much more damage than you. But all is not lost. If u really wanna use squirt, there is one tactic that totally pwns olimar, and is WATERGUN. Olimar gets gimped by water gun so easily that is insane. If by luck, you are able to put him out of the stage, always always have a water gun charged and blast it right in his face. Sometimes Olimar will try to throw piks at you, and will be a little careless with his pikkin rope. The watergun can be the difference in space he needed to get back.
I wouls suggest using squrlte just when Olimar is in high %, since squirts aerials have good knockback, and his downthrow is very nice, u can set up a water gun trap... if not, is not worth the effort-.

Charizard: Neutral
Well, this battle is not easy. Olimar can rag up damage like crazy, and when h gets you airborne, you will be in some trouble as u become a very big flying pinhata. Rry to stay ground as much as you can. If he starts spamming piks, burn them to his death and take a close eye on how much piks he has left. There will be one moment when he will have to recharge or move,, use that moment to get close and land more Fters. If you get in range try to use ur down or forwward tilts. Sometimes aerial rok smashes will protect you when advancing to him.

Ivysaur: Neutral.
Not an easy task either. To try to get to him, you can try to spam war against him with ur leaves, but be sure that ull lose in the damage department, some of his pikmins will hit you and get much much more damage. Why i do this? because some of ur leaves will hit him too, creating an opportunity to continue approaching. U can try to get to him with an aerial leaf, and then f smash... or this other tactic:
I have noticed that when u are at medium range of him, the forward tilt almost totally nullifies his pikmins and also the last bit of the animation sometimes tend to hit olimar, creating that much needed flinch animation u want. If u are carefull, spam this in his face and then force him to move or change tactics, from there u must find a way to predict his moves and attack. The con of this tactic is his grab range, u must be predicting when u think he will grab you instead of throwing another pikmin, which is not easy, but the pros are better than the cons. Is a very nice way to break his pikmin camping. If he gets u airborne try to land a bak air just to flinch him, escape right away and reorganize urself.
Dont do mindless aerial approaches because ull pay dearly.
When he gets you out of the stage, tryto lure him out with a leaf, and if all is lost, my last tip will be to aim carefully the UP B and surprise him. I have killed a lot of edgehoggers because of this,. They think that u are done when they are hoged. In fact u are done but u have ur last card. Use ur sweetspotted uPB to take them down with you. But it must be sweetspotted. Its too much fun to see them dying in early % because of being stage spiked.
Totally correct with squirtle. Ivysaur is indeed a tough battle.. but better off than squirtle.

I have a suggestion for Olimar.

Squirtle not good/!?!/! :O. But really, I find squirtle's aerial game gets dominated by most fast characters that have DISJOINTED HITBOXES (Olimar's pikmin slapping fairs and the like). The reason this doesn't apply to Ike is because he is too slow, but for Olimar, you had better work your butt off to get those aerials to connect before he slaps you with a red, yellow, or purple Pikmin. Though Olimar's forward+B is almost ineffective due to Squirtle's size, his aerial game is limited and his short attack range is dominated by Olimar's exceptional smash range. (As a side note, if you DO get forward+B pikmin latched onto you, use your own forward + B (withdraw) to get rid of em).

Ivysaur has razor leaf, the only projectile you will get on PT. Now, this is not much use against the pikmin themselves, but it will hamper Olimar as he doesn't have too much to get through razor leaf with. Your leaf will cut pikmin if they are in midair while being launched at you, and ivysaur is still pretty short. You can match Olimar's range on the ground with Fsmash and even ftilt to a certain extent, and you still have razor leaf. Your shieldgrab range isn't going to work against a spaced Olimar, however. In the air, the range you get with fair and bair, as well as the disjointed hitboxes of uair and dair allow you to handle Olimar as he comes at you, as well as kill pikmin even if your hits don't connect. Overall, Ivy can space pretty well against Olimar and hold his ground.

Charizard One thing to watch out for: You are going to be the slower character. The reason Charizard can be very effective is because of dtilt and ftilt. You can match Olimar's range using these two attacks, as well as flamethrower (which can decimate pikmin :)). Rock smash is a pretty safe move here, and the leftover chunks can kill pikmin as well. Dsmash is a pretty fast smash that will kill pikmin and Olimar. You can face up to Olimar's fair with your own fair, but it does not work quite as well. Rock smash may be the better, though slower, choice for aerial encounters face to face. Overall, Charizard can kill pikmin , really leaving Olimar with leaf pikmin rather than flower pikmin, and keeping him from pulling all purples since you're going to be killing some of them :)
Correct with Squirtle... disagree with the other two however.

I respect nc-echo and his status, but the reason I dislike Squirtle so much against Olimar is because Olimar can be just as fast with more range. As echo said, those smashes (especially the D-smash) are fast and outrange anything Squirtle has. In the air, Olimar may have a tougher time with Squirtle for echo, but I much prefer the long ranged fair of Ivysaur, or the fire/ long tail of Charizard. Squirtle's aerials really have little range and you have to be touching Olimar. For the dair, I have personally been destroyed by Usmash when closing in an an Olimar, so I'm not sure that Squirtle can just go through it. Not to mention that Dair doesn't actually hit below Squirtle, it just covers his body. This means that if Olimar stays grounded, he can deal with Squirtle whether he is on the ground OR in the air.

Charizard, now, can deal with a grounded Olimar by the reach of flamethrower, rock smash, and the range of things like Fsmash, dtilt, and ftilt.
So here starts the analysis:

Squirtle: Disadvantage
A good Olly is one of the worst matchups that squirtle will ever come across. A good Olly will camp a squirtle and make you approach. If you don't.. you will get bombarded with Pikmin. You can play all the mind games you want.. but you will have to approach eventually. If the Olly is good.. they will bob and weave as they throw so they don't sit still. Once you get to them you have to watch out for the ridiculous grab range. Once you get caught in that.. you really have to work to get away and back to your own ground.. then you are right back to where you started. If you approach from the air with a Fair.. you will most likely get shielded. Since Olly is so low.. it is very hard to get the Fair off and not have the lag upon landing. If you manage to land behind Olly and try to attack you have to watch out for one of the fastest down smashes i have ever seen. Squirtle is so light.. that if you are hit with it you will go flying. There is also a sweet spot on Olly's down smash where he can hit you with both the pikmin used. You have to be on top of him for it to happen.. but it hits hard.

Its hard to do but you can fight as squirtle. Never stop moving and always keep Olly guessing. Empty SH into grab or jab combo with tilts in between. If you get him into the air.. FF in between aerials so you stay out of range of Olly's fair. Moves are difficult to link together due to Olly's size. If Squirtle comes out and Olly has high damage.. you stand a good chance of getting the kill. Just don't expect to get it right away. Down throw.. up smash.. a fresh fair.. or dair can do it.. but it is hard.

Conclusion.. Squirtle has to work too hard to approach and to get the damage on.. and will most of the time end up losing the percentage battle. You are both light.. but overall Olly has the advantage the whole time. Squirtle: = Disadvantage

Ivysaur: Neutral.
Ivy tends to have an easier time against Olly than Squirtle... but you still don't have an advantage. You can spam razor leafs to slow Olly down.. but like Hydde said.. you will lose in the damage department if that is all you do. Only use it to slow down Olly and then approach during the flinch frames. If you can get a bullet seed off.. congrats but don't hold it long as Olly is light and can get out relatively fast. Stay out of the air as much as possible unless retreating with Bairs. Approach in the air and expect to get punished for it. Olly can gimp you easier than vis versa. Olly has more aerial control and can win the air battles.

I like to mix in ftilts and dtilts to keep Olly back. Use the razor leaf for a distraction or stun properties. You can land a SH fair as long as you start it while rising and as soon as the flick is done start DI'ing back so as not to get punished. Most of the time it doesn't hit.. but makes Olly back off so you can get well needed space. Uair is one of your most reliable killing moves of Olly.. but don't get predictable with it. Try to Full hop.. don't uair hopefully they will air dodge.. FF to get below them again.. use your double jump and then Uair immediately. It is hard to land and only works if they don't expect you to do it. Usmash is a great killer.. but too hard to get off.. if you can.. i applaud you.. i get punished for it.

Overall.. Ivy has a chance and can move some things to his favor but it never lasts long and you seem to be on constant retreat trying to gain position.. but once gained.. you can hold Olly off and get damage put on him. Ivysaur: = Neutral.

Charizard: Neutral
Charizards pure power and ability to survive are the only reason to make him neutral. The ability to hit hard the few times he can get hits in...even up the match a bit. Olly will pound you in the air due to how slow you are. Try to approach in the air as little as possible. Try to dash into shield grab or roll behind and go into jabs. Charizard creates a huge target for the pikmin latch and they are hard to get off as charizard. Rock smash and down smash are effective at getting them off. But using both leave you open for an approach from Olly. You can be chain grabbed if you don't DI correctly so watch out for those combos. Once you are in the air.. Olly can land multiple fairs into uairs on you. the damage can rack up fast if he latched a pikmin to you before he started. Olly's smashes come out quick and he can link multiple together really fast.. so be careful.

If you do approach from the air... Nair is a good choice if you auto cancel it and don't have to deal with landing lag. If you didn't hit Olly with the nair.. go into standard jab combo to get damage on. You may be able to get the ftilt or dtilt off after the jabs so look for it. If Olly goes to far.. pursuit on the ground cuz charizards dash is fast.. try to grab and keep control of what is going on. Rock smash and Flame thrower are also approach options.. but are slower and punishable if missed. Olly can be killed high so if you can get a utilt.. or usmash at high damage.. you should have the kill. If you can also hit the fly while Olly is falling.. the knockback is great and can get you the kill at around 70%. Another easy way to kill Olly is by gimping from either an edge hog or fair gimps off stage. Dtilt and Ftilt are great killers as well if Olly is at high damage.

Overall... Charizard can put on the damage and can live for a long time.. but can be juggled easily as well. Olly has the speed and looks to have the advantage.. but Charizard's power evens everything up. No clear advantage. Charizard: = Neutral

To throw a generalized analysis of Olly... He is basically a short Marth that has range. He can be easily gimped if you manage to get him out off stage.. but he has the option of really taking control of the match by camping or going on the offensive.

The Olly i play is called Shrink. He has a video thread up on the Olimar forums and took his olly a good distance at a very competitive tourney that we went to in Omaha nebraska. Darkrain also showed up.. so there were no slackers there. For those who don't know who Darkrain is.. he was a Captain Falcon pro in melee and now he play DK in brawl. He won the tournament.

Shrink and i play competitively everyday so i feel i have a very good grasp on how olly plays.. and he had fun beating up my PT tonight.

his video thread is: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163134
The vids are old and we hope to get more up soon. My PT vids that are up there are when i was having a very bad day and couldn't think of how to play there not bad but still.. don't use them to judge my skill. I have gotten better.. but it is extremely hard to play his olly.

-FireWulf

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
That is the kind of analysis i like to see. Very, very well done fire wulf. and thanks for the pm heads up ;) i can see you definitely have more than a couple of match's experience against good olimars.

i guess i should have stuck to hydde's/my own analysis eh?

i feel pretty confident about this one, perhaps we finally have a consensus on nve/neu/neu? you are still welcome to contest it but...i think olimar is a closed case.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I hoenstly think ivysaur is not very effective against Link.

I say this because:

A) As far as projectiles go, Link has Ivysaur beat.

B) Now while Link's range isn't as good as Ivysaur's, it's close

Now, one of these factors wouldn't make much of a difference, but when you consider both of them, well....You get my point (Sadly)

Edit: Oh, adn also, since Squirtle and Charizard can do that catch and release thing infitely on Ness, I think that makes them both super effective against him (again, sadly.)

PiSToLZ

Smash Lord
Mains- Lucario, Falco, and Meta Knight Seconda
I think PT hardest oponent is pikachu because squirtles airs cannot be used a lot with pikachu spamming its down b and pika has a lot of power so charizard is ur best bet. Just try to avoid pika through in a foward smash or rock smash until they go off the edge and meteor smash dont take chances METEOR SMASH
You can try this with ivysaur but i find it to be more effective with charizard.(harder to hit off edge)

chubas

Smash Apprentice
You do it until they don't, or you use something else.
Spike or not spike. That answers everything...

I think you can only effectively pressure for a spike with charizard and in the water. And Ivysaur, the other one who can spike, has a lot of trouble doing it that is not worth it.

I agree with Squirtle disadvantage and Ivysaur neutral on Olimar. Just have no enough experience to say a veredict with Char.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I'm going to say that Charizard is neutral on Olimar, as well. Charizard can do very inappropriate things with Flamethrower if Olimar gets off-stage. But on stage, Olimar can keep Charizard in the air for a long time.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Alot of the olimar discussion is revolving around the idea that trainer is obliged to approach. You are NOT obliged to approach, olimar can be forced to approach you. Just avoid the slow moving pikmin flying at you. If he double jumps to get more range on the pikmin throw, RUN at him and under him and start your work.

In regards to squirtle being at a disadvantage, it is pretty stage dependant, and position dependant. One throw off stage by squirtle can lead into a gimp on olimar. The matchup is still disadvantaged, but it is not hopeless. The same applies to charizard, charizard is another master gimper. Lure him to the edge, throw him off, and fair him, he is dead. Read his jump, you may need to go higher to fair, but you can!

Squirtle and Charizard are GIMP MASTERS, characters with bad recoveries are at your mercy.

Top Bottom