• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
I will truly be dissapointed if the roster is only 35 characters. ****.that.

They make us wait all this time and add ******** features like stickers and some stupid trophy game? 35 characters would be a slap in the face.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
35 is too less, my gamble is on 46.
There were 13 characters between SSB and SSBM. What makes you think 10 characters from SSBM to SSBB is "too little"? You do realize the larger the roster, the more time spent balancing right? It takes a lot more time for every character added as you get a larger roster. Since they're taking characters out this time, it's more than 10.

I've guessed 36 since Brawl's intro. This does not surprise me and it shouldn't surprise most people who thought logically. People need to stop thinking a game will double in roster size each installment.

Eternal Neo

Smash Apprentice
I will truly be dissapointed if the roster is only 35 characters. ****.that.

They make us wait all this time and add ******** features like stickers and some stupid trophy game? 35 characters would be a slap in the face.
35 is a good roster for the game if it has the right characters. Now obviously that's subjective, but it will be really unfortunate if we end up with say a cloned or luigified ness on the roster and no ridley.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think the qualm that many people have with a 35 character roster is not the quantity but the quality. If the remaining five newcomers were Ridley, Krystal, Mega Man, Geno or Isaac or Ray, and some sort of bizarre, yet awesome final character, few people would care about there being only 35 characters.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
You'd think Brawl would have more unlockable characters than melee had. Which was like 11?
If we say that all the Dojo characters other than Snake and Sonic are unlocked from the start, and that there will be no more characters announced on the Dojo until release, that would mean we have a starting roster of 21 (Melee had 14). This leaves 14 unlockables. Seems pretty good to me. This is not including Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, or Red's two other Pokemon - all of which have different movesets.

Eternal Neo

Smash Apprentice
I think the qualm that many people have with a 35 character roster is not the quantity but the quality. If the remaining five newcomers were Ridley, Krystal, Mega Man, Geno or Isaac or Ray, and some sort of bizarre, yet awesome final character, few people would care about there being only 35 characters.
Absolutely. Hopefully this is still the case but I'm really worried since MarkMan said almost everyone is returning.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
QFT. I could do without Krystal, and take Isaac and Ray, seeing they have the biggest potential for this game.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
*shudder* No offense to ShadowXOR, but I really hope he's wrong about R.O.B. With a 35 character roster, that's the only character who's presence I would cringe at. I really want Takamaru in, but at the same time I'd be sad if Mewtwo really was replaced.

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat

You have a point. I'd be completely satisfied if Krystal was playable- and I think Ridley should be as well.

Korobooshi

Smash Rookie
Stages:

Starting:

Smash Brothers:
Battlefield

Mario:
Delfino Plaza
Princess Peach’s Castle (Melee)

Zelda:
Bridge of Eldin
Temple (Melee)

Pokemon:
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pokefloats (Melee)

Kirby:
Battleship Halberd
Fountain of Dreams (Melee)

Yoshi:
Yoshi’s Island
Yoshi’s Island (Melee)

Donkey Kong:
Rumble Falls
Kongo Jungle (Melee)

Star Fox:
Lylat Cruise
Corneria (Melee)

Metroid:
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar (Melee)

Earthbound:
Onett (Melee)

F-Zero:
Port Town (in a style to Mute City)

Fire Emblem:
Castle Siege

Wario:
Warioware

Pit:
Skyworld

Ice Climbers:
The Summit

Unlockable:

Smash Brothers:
Final Destination (Melee. Defeat Super All Star)
Black Hole (from SSE. Like Final Destination, but altered gravity. Beat SSE to unlock)

Mario:
Mario Circuit (play 10 hours)
Luigi’s Mansion (beat classic mode with Luigi. On top of the mansion with various ghosts attacking)
Mushroom Kingdom 2 (beat classic mode with Wart. From Melee)
Rainbow Ride (beat classic mode with Mario, Bowser, and Peach)

Zelda:
Great Sea (beat classic mode with Tingle. The Tingle Tower is seen in the background, but the level is divided into two islands with the King of Red Lions a platform on occasions. Pirate Ships attack as well, and the level has a Cel-shaded look. From Wind Waker)
Twilight Realm (beat classic mode with Ganondorf. The Twilight version of Hyrule Castle, the stage corrodes on and off)
Great Bay (Beat classic mode with Link and Zelda. From Melee, but Tingle, not his balloon, are gone)

Pokemon:
Mt. Coronet (beat classic mode with Lucario. From DP, a stage atop on a high mountain. Dialga and Palkia appear on occasion to cause either a slow or increase in speed, or make platforms expand or shrink.)
Battle Tower (beat classic mode with Mewtwo. From Emerald. On an elevator which descends into the air, and stops on occasion. Pokemon attack from the sides during pauses)
Pokemon Stadium (beat classic mode with Pikachu and PT. From Melee)

Kirby:
Mt. DeDeDe (beat classic mode with DeDeDe. A boxing arena with Kirby Characters occasionally jumping into the fray.)
Green Greens (beat classic mode with Kirby. From Melee)

Yoshi:
Baby Bowser’s Castle (beat classic mode with Kamek. The final boss room where you fought Baby Bowser in Story, that tree is seen in the background and drops healing items on occasion)

Donkey Kong:
Gangplank Galleon (beat classic mode with K. Rool. A large pirate ship off DK isle, cannonballs rain down on occasion)
Jungle Japes (beat classic mode with Diddy Kong. From Melee)
Construction Site (beat classic mode with Stanley. A 3D version of the old DK arcade game, takes place in the air on an unfinished construction site, barrels role down quickly to try and run you over)

Star Fox:
Venom (beat classic mode with Falco. From Melee)
Dinosaur Planet (beat classic mode with Krystal. Various dinosaurs on occasions charge across the ruins.)

Metroid:
Norfair (beat classic mode with Ridley)

Earthbound:
Fourside (beat classic mode with Lucas)
New Pork City (beat classic mode with Ness)

F-Zero:
Big Blue (beat classic mode with Black Shadow)

Fire Emblem:
Warzone (beat classic mode with Ike, Marth, and Titania. Like Castle Siege, takes place in the middle of a battle…this time, on a large open field (with platforms) with a view of a fight going on. Sometimes an army will charge under you, forcing you to take to higher platforms or get ran over)

Wario:
Wario’s Castle (beat classic mode with Wario and Mona. Based off Wario World, this is his giant, golden castle. Various treasure chests are scattered around, and when broken, unleash a plethora of items)

Game and Watch:
Flatzone (from Melee, unlock Game and Watch)

Pikmin:
Distant Planet (beat classic with Olimar and Pikmin)

Animal Crossing:
Smashville (beat classic mode with Villager)
Starry Sky (Watch K.K Slider play. Based off of the starry sky of Wild World. It plays like the pictochat level with various constellations forming ground. Gulliver sometimes crashes by.

DS Icon:
Pictochat (play for 20 hours)
Wii Plaza (Unlock Mii. Starts off as a Plaza-like screen, completely flat, but it changes into different levels based off Wii Sports, with other Mii’s posing as threats with “projectiles”)

Metal Gear:
Shadow Moses Island (beat classic mode with Snake)

Sonic:
Angel Island (beat classic mode with Sonic. A floating arena high in the air, hitting the Master Emerald will cause the stage to fall down…and land in the Green Hill Zone where you have more room to maneuver. Later the island floats back up)

Dragon Quest:
Slimenia (beat classic mode with Slime. Based off the kingdom of Rocket Slime, you’re on top of the Schleiman Tank while in the foreground the Platypanzer launches attacks at you)

58 Stages in All.

YSM

Smash Apprentice
My only complaint about 35 characters is that some series simply get robbed. If Ridley isn't in, we have ONE Metroid rep(sorry, but Samus is Samus). Pokemon has NO ONE from the 2nd, 3rd, OR 4th gen if Lucario doesn't make it. It seems like Star Fox will probably get 2 at most, and if Krystal is one of them, we only have one rep from the days when the series didn't suck(Fox, obviously). Does Animal Crossing get anyone? If Ness is in over Claus, we're basically the same stupid looking kid with turds for eyes twice, except that one of them wears a hat. That's the only difference between those two. K. Rool is probably left out, Fire Emblem might only get one, etc. Certainly, not all of these things will happen...but some will. And that's what bothers me. Do we really need Lucas AND Ness? Link and Young Link/WW Link(when we could have Midna)? It's not that 35 is too little, but it is when there are some characters who should really only be in there if Sakurai IS including pretty much everyone, which obviously isn't the case.

Oh well. On the bright side, we'll all stop caring when we get to play the game. In the meantime, though, there are going to be quite a few deserving characters left out. And if Melee added 13, why should Brawl add LESS?:urg:

Hejiru

Smash Ace
All I care about is Lucario and Geno. Any other newcomers are good, but probably likely.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
This 35 character thing is not proven until I see pics of the roster.

If this is real, though, and Krystal, Ness, etc. is in over Ridley, I will press this shiny red button next to me at this very moment.

Eternal Neo

Smash Apprentice
If there are so many people outside of the development team that know the roster (people who have the game in advance) I wonder why a screenshot of the final roster hasn't emerged yet. I'm not trying to cast doubt on the validity of historically reliable leakers, but if so many people know (we have 4 in the last day is it?) and it's easy enough to upload pictures online anonymously (it is) then why has nobody done it yet?

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
Oh, Portrait0fRuin says Ridley is NOT playable when I read that shortlived first topic she made titled "35 Characters". This is what she said in her second topic:

PORTRAITofRUIN
Posted 1/19/2008 8:43:36 PM
message detail

Hello again, a mod deleted my last thread as they believe it to be spam/violating the TOS.

When most of this board is violating the TOS anyways.

But I assure you I am 100% not joking. If a mod would be so kind to leave this thread be and then they will see I was 100% right.

If this thread is deleted again, I'll just stop posting the info.

I saved her second topic on my Firefox clippings, but not the first. She said nothing of relevance on her second topic. Her first topic disappeared too quickly and I didn't think to save it. A topic made comparing Nya and PoR was made and another user remembers her saying Ridley and Mega Man is not playable.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=40882151

Mewtwo_soul
Posted 1/19/2008 10:08:37 PM
message detail Oh and on what she said which is quite believable:

-Zero is not in the game.
-Megaman is not in the game
-Ridley is not PC
-Stages=41
-Characters=35
-No Pac-Man
-Lucario PC
-can't remember rest.

Gup

Smash Rookie
I still don't get why people should ***** over a roster of 35 characters. I mean; come on, it's not like you're gonna main them all at once. Nor is it to small for enough diversity in players.

We can all bet our money on one thing though. As soon as the main impact of the game passes. Most people will stick to a handfull of characters that rank top tier. Wether the roster has 35 or 55 characters.

Fats McRobot

Smash Cadet
You know why I'm *****ing? 48 seemed so close. Even if was never true, nothing anyone says that isn't 48 will be good enough.

And anyways, almost all of said *****ing will end once we know facts about the game.

LeuMasT

Smash Apprentice
Just because he said almost everyone is returning does not mean almost all the unannounced characters are returners. If you discount transformations, we have 23 selectable characters at the moment. Of the unannounced, anticipated to return are Ganon, Falcon, and Luigi for certain. We're already able to say most veterans are coming back with just these three. Ness, Puff, and G&W are in good shape, but I would bet at least one of them gets the axe, sadly.

Still, if those six come back, we have a draw pool for another six, and if MarkMan is right, no more 3rd parties will be in according to his NeoGaf posts. Add an unpredictable WTF character, we have a vault to choose from five newcomers. Five newcomers seems small, but look at the Nintendo canon frontrunners: Another FE Lord, Wolf, Krystal, Lucario, Isaac, Claus, K Rool, WW Link, Ridley, maybe Geno with his limbo status. A handful of those is very probable.

In our hearts, we knew not all of them would make it, but pipe dreams and hype have kicked the numbers higher than any reasonable person would argue. I don't know about you, but I can live with 35.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Oh, Portrait0fRuin says Ridley is NOT playable when I read that shortlived first topic she made titled "35 Characters". This is what she said in her second topic:

I saved her second topic on my Firefox clippings, but not the first. She said nothing of relevance on her second topic. Her first topic disappeared too quickly and I didn't think to save it. A topic made comparing Nya and PoR was made and another user remembers her saying Ridley and Mega Man is not playable.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=40882151
If Ridley's not in, I give up hope on the rest of Sakurai's selection.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
Ruin said Lucario was playable, so I'm happy. I am still hoping for a huge roster, but I guess I can't do anything about it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Again here is the 35 character roster if NyaseNya, ChaosZero, Serebii, and ShadowXOR are to believed:

1. Mario
2. Luigi (mentioned by no one, but would they really cut him)
3. Bowser
4. Peach
5. Donkey Kong
6. Diddy Kong
7. Link
8. Zelda/Sheik
9. Ganondorf (returning according to ChaosZero)
10. Toon Link (playable according to NyaseNya)
11. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
12. Yoshi
13. Kirby
14. Meta Knight
15. King Dedede
16. Fox
17. Falco (returning according to ChaosZero)
18. Wolf (playable according to ChaosZero)
19. Pikachu
20. Pokemon Trainer
21. Jigglypuff (implied by Serebii)
22. Lucario (playable according to ChaosZero and implied by Serebii)
23. Ike
24. Marth (returning according to ShadowXOR)
25. Lucas
26. Ness (returning according to NyaseNya, ChaosZero, and ShadowXOR)
27. Wario
28. Pikmin & Olimar
29. Captain Falcon (returning according to ChaosZero and ShadowXOR)
30. Ice Climbers
31. Pit
32. Mr. Game & Watch (returning according to NyaseNya)
33. R.O.B. (playable according to ShadowXOR)
34. Snake
35. Sonic

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
Makes no sense to put 4 leakers together....many copy off each other

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
if you're complaining about a 35 character roster.....you should be shot. seriously. 35 characters is huge, plus, thats 10 more than the last game. you're lucky that Brawl is even coming out. seriously, don't complain when we are getting a new game with TONS of new stuff

Hejiru

Smash Ace
Of the 12 left, we have, according to the "35-sayers" are:

1. Luigi
2. Ganondorf
3. Captain Flacon
4. Lucario
5. WW Link
6. Ness
7. Game & Watch

That leaves 5. I guess Jigglypuff, Marth, AC dude, Geno, and another starfox rep.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Again here is the 35 character roster if NyaseNya, ChaosZero, Serebii, and ShadowXOR are to believed:

1. Mario
2. Luigi (mentioned by no one, but would they really cut him)
3. Bowser
4. Peach
5. Donkey Kong
6. Diddy Kong
7. Link
8. Zelda/Sheik
9. Ganondorf (returning according to ChaosZero)
10. Toon Link (playable according to NyaseNya)
11. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
12. Yoshi
13. Kirby
14. Meta Knight
15. King Dedede
16. Fox
17. Falco (returning according to ChaosZero)
18. Wolf (playable according to ChaosZero)
19. Pikachu
20. Pokemon Trainer
21. Jigglypuff (implied by Serebii)
22. Lucario (playable according to ChaosZero and implied by Serebii)
23. Ike
24. Marth (returning according to ShadowXOR)
25. Lucas
26. Ness (returning according to NyaseNya, ChaosZero, and ShadowXOR)
27. Wario
28. Pikmin & Olimar
29. Captain Falcon (returning according to ChaosZero and ShadowXOR)
30. Ice Climbers
31. Pit
32. Mr. Game & Watch (returning according to NyaseNya)
33. R.O.B. (playable according to ShadowXOR)
34. Snake
35. Sonic
Dear god.
I thought someone said Sakurai was listening to the fans. What on earth were the polls for if Ridley, Krystal, and Geno are to be left out?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
1.ganondorf
2.luigi
3.captain falcon
4.jigglypuff
5.mr. game and watch

6.Ridley
7.Krystal
8.Geno
9.Lucario
10.Claus/Isaac/FE Rep

i could LIVE with the rest of the roster looking something like that...

but with ness and wolf being in i can't make a roster with 10 spots left work to my liking at all.

Eternal Neo

Smash Apprentice

1. Mario
35. Sonic

Okay, I dunno if it's safe to compile a roster based upon multiple leaks, because even if they all fit, it's more than likely that at least one of those leakers is full of it and just making up stuff that "fits." That being said, it still doesn't look good. Money's tight and the only reason me and my friends play smash is for vs mode. If the roster's not good enough I see no reason to plunk down another 60$ when we already have melee. I mean, SSE isn't enough of an incentive to buy a smash game IMO.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
it's just there are to many veterans left and to many newcomers known for 35 characters to work out to a game that will be fun to unlock people.

Nintandy²

Smash Apprentice
cubaisdeath, you are very correct.. people are getting their hopes up way too much. Blinded by what there could be, it's a shame to neglect what we already have, which is a lot. I would be happy with that roster, even if it was missing one or two I wanted. Ridley to me is just a ridiculous idea, and Krystal.. well she's alright but I'd rather have a decent Star Fox character who played a more significant role in the series. Geno? Interesting idea.. can't say I really want him in though. Isaac.. definitely. Yea I'm a bit biased towards Golden Sun ^^'.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom