• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing other games help smash game?

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Anyways I finally finished Twilight Princess again this time for the GCN. And..I've noticed something. My smash game is much better, my l-cancels, wavedashing and wave landing and as well the other techs are much improved. I have no idea why..or how.

So..the question is..Does playing other games besides smash help your smash game?

Debate.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
I think so,Because It might be able to help you think better in different situations.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
well if the game requires timing or speed of any sort, then its most likely helpful, cause its training your fingers. if you play games that have a slower pace and you dont need quick reaction or timings, though, i dont know if it would help. it could even hurt your game, because youd become 'lazy' in a sense, and it would take a bit of smash playing to get back to the level you were at with tech skill and such.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
street fighter 3rd strike = MINDGAMMEZZZZZ

other than that, yes playing other games will always help. but smash is such a great game, normally smash skillz help in other games more than vice versa :p

pdk

Smash Lord
KOF = where it's at, thank god for 98 and 2k2 + kaillera

though really now there's no harm in playing other games i'd imagine

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
Don't know if TP will do that for you, Ive always heard the opposite...playing Smash helps you in other games. I guess if the other game you play involved mindgames, sure, why not. Or for games that require quick reactions/button pressing/timing, like another user said. Depends on what it is, really. I wouldn't go as far to say all games would help.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
I guess the reason why it helped because I was such in a tense mood while playing TP. Like I couldn't really afford to die or something like that. Plus I had some mindgames for Ganny that I actually exploit. And my smash game...is sooo much better.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
You can't really mindgame a computer. You can simply figure it out and exploit it's pattern, but that has nothing to do with mindgames.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
The games that i found really helped me improve with smash were Pokemon puzzle league (kinda like a tetris game cept not). It helps with reflexes and planning out thing in a very short time. It also helps with button sliding (like what you do when doing marths short hop double fair) Azen is amazing at that btw, i found that out about 3 months after playing.

Another game i found helpful was Mario kart. Snaking (an advanced tactic in mario kart) is basically the only way this can be helpful. It kinda helps with left joystick accuracy + speed.

Short answer, yes. Doing anything to make your mindset focused on reaction time and speed will help.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Don't know if TP will do that for you,
Heres the thing, I just recently conquered Super Paper Mario, which had its share of puzzels and brain teasers, not only that, but I've been playing brain age a lot. and guess what. My minds games are heads and tails above me a week ago.

Anyway, aside from just fast reactions, games that have mind bending puzzles in them such as twilight princess are good for your brain and help you think better in mind games.

Try this, boot up Ocarina of time, go as far as the water temple, get through it with no help or guides. boost your brain power.

Binx

Smash Master
I think what helps with tech skill like that more than skills learned to other games is actually just taking a break from smash. Alot of the best smashers in the world dont own a GC or a copy of smash bros. There is something about constant play that reinforces habits, and in high level smash any habit is a bad habit because it makes you more predictable, and of course intelligence and even physical health will make you think and react faster to changing situations which in turn help your with smash as far as mindgames and with improvising techs to confuse your opponent.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Binx tell that to m2k. Sorry but im gonna have to dissagree here, playing smash a lot does not reinforce habits. It just expands your knowledge of the game.

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
I think the real question is, "Does Smash help in real life?" And yes, it does. I can now predict people's moves in Chess, beat most tall black people in basketball, can read music fluently like a book, and my sex drive has been enhanced ten-fold.

Smash saves.

Binx

Smash Master
If you play all the time like every singe day you will get in the habbit of reacting to different situations the same way most of the time, I am not about to say that m2k is anything but a great player, but when I watch his videos I can tell what he is going to do sometimes, when I watch ken I can't, however m2k plays very safe still so usually it isnt punishable even if you predict it fully. Playing alot can only increase your knowledge of the game to a certain level, with enough experience against a wide variety of skilled people and characters you will eventually learn to expect almost everything. However I have noticed personally that I make bigger leaps in skill if I spend a great deal of time playing smash and then take a 2 or 3 day break from it. It gives me time to soak in my new knowledge and to let my subconcious go ahead and incorporate it into my brain haha. Maybe it doesnt work this way for everyone, but it seems to be similar for my friends as well, we have had long conversations about this.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Ummm funny story. I would consider myself pretty good at melee... not PRO PRO, but I can hold my own, I understand the game pretty well, etc etc. You know, that level thats not quite nub but not quite pro.

Anyhow, I was a realllly big nub and my crew was too like... a year ago. We could wavedash but we couldnt SHFFL. SHFFLING was so hard for some reason.. heres where I get back on topic :

We switched to smash64 for about... 3 months.. And found cancelling easier to pull of in that one..

When we went back to melee, suddenly we could L cancel 100% of the time, so we got back into it and somehow improved to a level 100 times where we were at before! (obviously, since we didnt shffl previously)

I dunno if smash64 counts as another game since its still smash, but meh.

Binx

Smash Master
Smash 64 doesnt count because it L Cancles for you, maybe it was just some mental blocks you guys had.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Have you guys heard of stepmania? Tell me that doesn't help your tech skill.
amen. Though you have to play the keyboard type songs, usually the 10+ footers, the ddr songs are too easy.

Another game that i think thats helped my smash play is Starcraft. You learn how important mindgames and how change your game from hit-run defensive to reckless aggressive. I think it helps to be able to predict your opponent and punish them for making mistakes.

shadepaw

Smash Apprentice
Dancing stage helps with my timing and reactions for when I mess up.
Mario Kart double dash helps with techniques.
Bloody roar: Primal Fury helps me with defensive and offensive thinking in fighting and combos.
Sonic Adventure 2 battle just helps me to play faster paced.

I think other games do help my smash game.

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere where it's not quite hot, but not quite
play shooting games, preferably ones with bullets all over the screen, like bullethell. it trains you to respond/react in tight situations, also helps with close quarters situations, such as when either samus or falco or fox are shooting you, you'll usually know how/when to move/react.

scrolling shooters~

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
Funny Story:

I used to love jumping with the [X] button. It was just my thing. Then I borrrowed the game, "One Piece: Grand Battle." In Grand Battle, you had to jump with the [Y] button. So then after 2 months of Grand Battle, I went back to Super Smash Bros Melee. Sheesh, why am I jumping with the [Y] button?

I think that the [Y] button is better for short hops. Such as skills like SHDL with fox. I would not want to slide my hands that far! One Piece: Grand Battle, you're a life saver!

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
SSB64 definetly helps out some, and i also think that becoming better technically at ssbm can really help you out on ssb64 (not that anyone cares), because it is slower paced. The SSB can give you a good basic understanding of where ssbm came from, but it will only help you so much because once you get to a certain level, ssbm is a whole new animal compared to ssb.

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
I play DK Country on my Wii when I don't play Smash, and just go thru the levels as fast as possible. Playing as Fox/Falcon has made me want to do everything fast lol.

Artistry

Smash Apprentice
I agree on Stepmania helping, because it's exercise for your eyes, as well as for your fingers. You've got to play stream songs, though, like Emerald Sword.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
^ Emerald Sword owns, as does Blue army.

And someone mentioned pokemon puzzle league, and i used to love that game, and i played it on an emulator a while ago and realized how much i dont like the pokemon now rofl. A similar game to puzzle league is Tetris Attack, its on the snes, and its the same deal, blocks, move them, combo, etc. Tetris Attack is a mario theme though, and the story is just amazing, and complex, something about beating the bad guy..... (/end sarcasim)

Artistry

Smash Apprentice
Other than Stepmania helping your Melee abilities, I think, for the most part, that it's the other way around: Melee helps you in other games, because most games don't have the same reaction time that Smash requires.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
Another good game is Tales of Symphonia.

I'm not sure if anyone knows this unorthodoxed technique, but after doing a combo, you can cast a spell then cancel it with [X] then start the combo over.

This will allow an infinite hit combo, I call the spell cancel infinite hit!

The buttons go: (The button has a spell technique set on it)
[A] ~> [A] ~> [A] ~> ~> [X]
[A] ~> [A] ~> [A] ~> Forward ~> [X]
[A] ~> [A] ~> [A] ~> Up ~> [X]
[A] ~> [A] ~> [A] ~> Down ~> [X]
[A] ~> [A] ~> ~> [X]
[A] ~> [A] ~> Forward ~> [X]
[A] ~> [A] ~> Up ~> [X]
[A] ~> [A] ~> Down ~> [X]
etc.

Just thought anyone wanted to try if they have the game. The hand coordination helped me out tons with wavedashing SHL, SHDL, Double Jump Cancel, and HRC in Super Smash Bros Melee!

Top Bottom