• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Games with Your Significant Other

Hanamaru

Smash Rookie
Alright, so I am curious to see what you guys (collectively meaning both males and females) think about playing games with your significant other.

It seems to be that my significant other has this 'thing' about winning on very frequent occasion (meaning every time he plays with me) and knows he has much more experience than I do. Problem is that he knows I'm not great at new video games, even though I enjoy them. But he tries to win all of the time and even goes to a point of using relentless killing spree tactics to win.

I love him and playing video games (including different versions of Smash) is one of the things we have in common, among others. I don't want this to be a point of contention for us but he doesn't quite get it to relax a bit on the whole need to win and I want us to have fun; perhaps we can learn together.

Post your comments here please!:bee:

Hanamaru

Smash Rookie
Just to clarify, we do play other games that are sort of neutral on the winning thing; I bought him Pokemon Black and White for his birthday so we could play together.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
That must be nice, some couple don't even play games, at least most of the woman I know don't really like to, but sometimes people will get into that competative spirit, regardless who it may be for the sole purpose of being victorious, I myself am like that sometimes but then I remember, it's just a game for fun.

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Girls I know freak out when they loose so playing against them is out of the question. Playing with them is often like dragging weight around.

I don't know gamer girls, of course...

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Unless both are really competitive against each other, really it should be about having fun.
Just messing around, joking and laughing.

It's like when you're nephew or younger sibling wants you to play a video game with them. Yeah you could totally dominate them in COD, Mario Kart, Tekken whatever, but it's not really all that fun for the person who's always losing, nor is it much of an achievement for yourself beating someone less experienced.
Ease up, it's not always about winning :) Have fun

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
My GF and I sometimes play smash, but usually just go through single player things like portal and LoZ:OoT, with one on the controller and the other focusing on puzzles or whatever. It's pretty fun.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Being gay is awesome because girls suck at video games, and I won't ever have to deal with a girl SO teammate.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know a girl that could beat you at any game you play.

Or, I used to know more accurately

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
My wife and I get pretty competitive. We would spend a lot of times in Warhawk just killing each other (and she doesn't fly), or in LittleBigPlanet, we would regularly drag each other off ledges. It's usually pretty fun!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
My wife and I get pretty competitive. We would spend a lot of times in Warhawk just killing each other (and she doesn't fly), or in LittleBigPlanet, we would regularly drag each other off ledges. It's usually pretty fun!
Me and my friends do what you said about LBP all the time. Except we're not doing it out of competitiveness....we're just being ****s to each other.

In any case, assuming I had a gf, I wouldn't care about being competitive with her. It's all about having fun and you're taking that away from her if you're going all out constantly.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I like playing games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros etc. or older games like Mario/Sonic with girls. In my experience, girls are more likely to like Zelda than any other game series, besides party games.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I like playing games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros etc. or older games like Mario/Sonic with girls. In my experience, girls are more likely to like Zelda than any other game series, besides party games.
Every girl liked Spyro in middle school.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Me and my friends do what you said about LBP all the time. Except we're not doing it out of competitiveness....we're just being ****s to each other.

In any case, assuming I had a gf, I wouldn't care about being competitive with her. It's all about having fun and you're taking that away from her if you're going all out constantly.
My problem is when I was a kid, my dad would not only destroy me in games, but he'd taunt me while doing it. Case in point, when I was a kid, I was good a checkers. My dad was a champion when he was a kid. I never knew this. So, we went to Cracker Barrel on trip, I challenged him to Checkers, and he let me win a bit then annihilated me. Later, I started to get good at Basketball, so he was going to help me. I must have been 8 or 9, and he reveals that he was REALLY good at basketball. As a side note to that story, I still have cousins who talk about him taking on all his friends and doing the exact same scam.

It actually never stopped, as when I moved to Atlanta, my wife and I were taking on my parents in Whirlyball. The game has two major rules: don't grab the ball and don't smash bumper cars. He did both PLUS he smacked the net in my hands so hard it shattered.

They were pretty funny experiences in hindsight, but it basically gave me this hugely competitive streak that I can't really turn off.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
My girlfriend really likes Phoenix Wright, but we don't play any two-player games together because she gets mad and throws stuff.

Geist

Smash Master
I just got my gf to make an account on swf actually. She plays shooters competitively, and I just recently got her into smash lol
Whenever we play we never give the other any quarter. We go as hard as we can, complete with **** talking.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
My girlfriend doesn't like games at all :c

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
My wife and I used to play Zelda Windwaker together. Sometimes we still play Mario Galaxy 2.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I've never really dated a gal that was into video games, though I've had a ton of chick friends that were into the gamin'. Also some like Rock Band/Guitar Hero/etc but who doesn't really

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I used to play games with a now-former girlfriend all the time, but I think Wii Fit helped kill our relationship since I weighed less.

116 against 125 isn't that much, imo, but it meant a lot to her, haha.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Video games are a huge part of my relationship haha
My boyfriend and I play Brawl and BlazBlue against each other a lot. There's no "hey here you can win"...it's usually us sitting quietly and concentrating on the game. It's really funny. He's better at Brawl than I am, and we can go pretty equally at BlazBlue. He also got me into playing YuGiOh recently. We're competitive game addicts.

(But I admit I'm usually better at games that involve guns :'3 I'm a boss at arcade shooters. House of the Dead 1 and Time Crisis 3 or 4 for the win~)

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I used to play games with a now-former girlfriend all the time, but I think Wii Fit helped kill our relationship since I weighed less.

116 against 125 isn't that much, imo, but it meant a lot to her, haha.
I'm confused, did you lose weight and become unattractive to her because you weighed less than her? Or did you always weigh less and she just had some kind of problem with that discrepency?

Because 125 is literally anything but fat so my brain refuses to accept that as the rationale.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I'm confused, did you lose weight and become unattractive to her because you weighed less than her? Or did you always weigh less and she just had some kind of problem with that discrepency?

Because 125 is literally anything but fat so my brain refuses to accept that as the rationale.
Actually, she really did resent the fact that I weighed less than her. I didn't suddenly become skinnier; I had weighted that much for a year or two.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Whoa! A guy weighing less than a gal? it's strange since it's usually the opposite, even if it is it would typically be over 15 pounds, I may be wrong.

:phone:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
How do you "play" Wii Fit? We had both of them, and it basically went where she played it for a while, then joined the gym and lost interest in it all together. It was an okay concept, but it had no longevity.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Motion sensors + aerobic exercise as directed by the game somehow would be my guess.

I think it also includes a boxing game which could be a lot of fun, but I've heard that the sensors just can't keep up with someone that can punch even kind of quickly.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
My exes loved playing videogames with me, mainly because I warm up the most when I play games.

I don't know though, I always act like a child so I don't see how I'm that much different playing games but \o_o/

Hanamaru

Smash Rookie
Thank you all for your opinions/feedback :3 I wanted to post this and then wait for it to mature before I put too much of my own thoughts in. I've found that when you grow up in a competitive family (like my significant other), it does sort of build that competitive switch that is difficult to turn off.

A bit of competitive gaming is fun, and should be encouraged so long as it is in a positive way in your relationship with anyone. I love puzzle games like Portal and Tetris, among others, but he tends to be better at fighting games than I am (even though I like them too). I think when it comes to video games and relationships, it's important to know that no one can win *everything*, and to enjoy it for the time you spend with others.

And I especially disagree with the fact that women/girls are not capable of becoming skilled at video games, but I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinions (which should be presented in a respectful way :D)

Thanks!

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
i dont play games with my gf at all either :[

other than like

cards and ****

Top Bottom