• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Cpu's

taste_the_beast

Smash Apprentice
Ok i searched for this but..nothing.
Ok, does it really help you to play cpu's?
As in helping you when it comes to a human player.
Like if you dont have someone to play with at all times its better to play cpu's then not play at all right?? It seems like playing cpu's would help you but i wanna see what other people think.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yes and no.

Yes:
Put the computer on lvl 1-4 to get your moves down. Practice using ATs in combat and blah blah blah
Put the computer on 6 or 7 to get your spacing and timing down for practiced ATs.

No:
The computers won't be able to help you with mindgames, edgeguarding, escaping combos, chain grabbing, etc.
Also lvl 9 computers don't help you at all.

MeleeOnly

Smash Cadet
playing cpus helps if you are trying to get used to hitstun and stuff

landing an aerial by yourself without hitting anyone is different from landing the hit on another character or his/her shield

i guess cg's too depending on level of cpus

person701

Smash Journeyman
Again, yes/no.

Yes, I use level 3-4 to practice combos and ATs. I also use level 7 to improve reaction time (and warm my fingers up).

No. CPUs can/will walk into fully charged smashes. Level 9's have ungodly reaction time (power shield SHLs way to often ._.) and seem to be able to neutral A combo you...

On a side note speaking of neutral A combos, anyone played with this before?

MeleeOnly

Smash Cadet
my main problem with the cpus is that they are programmed to di a certain way so you know how they are gonna di

taste_the_beast

Smash Apprentice
Yes and no.

Yes:
Put the computer on lvl 1-4 to get your moves down. Practice using ATs in combat and blah blah blah
Put the computer on 6 or 7 to get your spacing and timing down for practiced ATs.

No:
The computers won't be able to help you with mindgames, edgeguarding, escaping combos, chain grabbing, etc.
Also lvl 9 computers don't help you at all.
so its pretty much pointless to play lvl 9 cpu's unless your just having fun or something

person701

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you plan to try and top a computer without exploiting any stupid AI tactics, then no, it's not pointless. It's the fact that level 9s have near perfect control of the game's frame rate as opposed to a human player who would never be able to hit every frame exactly. That is why it's pretty pointless to play level 9's...

and also why I lke level 7's ^_^

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
^M2K? you are being sarcastic...

The best thing to do is play either level 6 or 7 CPU's, they are the best when it comes to putting your AT skills to the test, level 9's are pointless and are only there to get the crap beaten out of them.

LLDL

Smash Hero
so its pretty much pointless to play lvl 9 cpu's unless your just having fun or something
yeah. I personally practice on level 1s to get my combos down, and then level 5 to practice combos more. Level 9s aren't helpful at all.

But in all honesty, tournaments are the only surefire way to get better. Attend 1 tournament, learn from your mistakes, and that's about equal to a couple of months of fighting computers.

Vts

Smash Champion
all i know is level 7s are the closest you'll get to fighting another human being since they aren't perfect but still give you a challenge.

i practice tech on 1-4 , rest i play people since it works hell of a lot better.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you plan to try and top a computer without exploiting any stupid AI tactics, then no, it's not pointless. It's the fact that level 9s have near perfect control of the game's frame rate as opposed to a human player who would never be able to hit every frame exactly. That is why it's pretty pointless to play level 9's...
you may be the first person ever to agree with my point of view, even if you do so only partially. There is nothing wrong with playing level 9s, so long as you remember that you are training, you cannot play to win. if you don't take advantage of their stupidity (which you certainly don't have to) then level 9s are the best competition the game has to offer. but you have to remember that you are training, use them to pressure you but concentrate on shffling and executing plans and moves. when learning how to do something new, however, it is better to play on a low level comp, because they won't do ridiculous things like power shield and such. there is no doubt that playing people is the best, but lacking that....

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
You should really change the title to something descriptive of the thread. I practice on level 3 to keep me tech skills fresh.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I used to just practice against level 1's, but if 6's and 7's are good practice, then I will try them out too.

person701

Smash Journeyman
you may be the first person ever to agree with my point of view, even if you do so only partially. There is nothing wrong with playing level 9s, so long as you remember that you are training, you cannot play to win. if you don't take advantage of their stupidity (which you certainly don't have to) then level 9s are the best competition the game has to offer. but you have to remember that you are training, use them to pressure you but concentrate on shffling and executing plans and moves. when learning how to do something new, however, it is better to play on a low level comp, because they won't do ridiculous things like power shield and such. there is no doubt that playing people is the best, but lacking that....
First post I've ever read agreeing with mine. High five man.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I agree with you two in agreement =P

I also play against level 9s for my own perfectshielding practice. I play with them solely for timin related purposes. Otherwise I play sevens and eights.

Jboy313

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Braunz
i doesnt really matter wat cpu's i play. for some weird reason when i play a level 5 i win by 1 stock and when im playing a level 9 i also win by one stock..so it seems like that harder the cpu the more i try..

Again, yes/no.

No. CPUs can/will walk into fully charged smashes. Level 9's have ungodly reaction time (power shield SHLs way to often ._.)

i hate how cpus fight like that. they have almost instant reaction..i would stand right in from of a level 9 and laser him and he will power sheild it..and also they are really dumb and you can easily make them kill themselves.. when yoshi turns into the egg and rolls at you all u have to do is just jump off the edge and yoshi will keep going.
and if there is a flipper between u and a lvl 9 they will just keep walking into it until its gone.

one last dumb thing that lvl 9 comps do is they always do the same move/combo over and over again. just have level 9 bowser and the opposite end of the stage and most likly he will take a step then use firebreath then another step and fire breath again..and he will just keep going until he gets to u..

(yes i play cpu's too much..im the only one at home that plays..)

Top Bottom