• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play N Trade Tourney in Charlotte, NC

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
This Brawl tourney takes place on August 22 (8/22/08) and it starts at 3:00 pm. The time the tourney will end depends on the number of participants. The tourney will probably cost $15. However, this cost is subject to change since the TO hasn't completely decided. The TO has decided to make a 5 dollar entry and 10 dollars for the pot.

This is the tourney address:

9813 South Blvd, #104
Charlotte,NC 28273

If you have any problems finding the place call or any other questions call: 704.551.0639

Tourney Prize Money Distribution: 70/20/10

Unfortunately, I did not make the rules of this tourney. Soooo . . . these are the rules:
1)1 vs 1
2)ONLY FINAL DESTINATION
3)3 stock OR 5 stock depending on how many people come. If a lot of people come, it will be
3 stock and vice versa.
4)All items are turned off
5)It is either single or double elimination depending on how many people come
6)Best 2 out of 5 and grand finals are 3 out 5
7)There are loser matches AFTER THE FINALS. So if you lost, you can stay a little later to participate in that. However, this will not have any effect on the real tourney

Usually, a lot of people come to these tourneys which raises the first place prize money to insane amounts. When play n trade had a double tourneys, the prize money for EACH person was $200. I hope all of you come b/c it would be lots of fun.

If I left any information out please tell me. I will let you know.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey Peter, remember how I said that I'd team with you for teh moneys? My parents have said that I can't go to another tourney because it's costing so much to go to Jubilee lol. It wouldn't matter if I told them that I could win it fairly easily because they have more reasons than that. Sorry again dude. Maybe over the next couple months or something lol.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
is each match 2 out of 3 games?

winner finals, loser finals and grad finals 3 out of 5?

Also does winner bracket champ only need to win one set in the championship while the loser bracket champ will need to win two (being double elimination it only makes sense for the winner bracket champ to have to lose twice)?

edit ooh more questions:

Is the 15 dollar fee break down 5 for entry fee and 10 dollars for pot or 15 dollars for pot?

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
PeePee-So are you coming to this? A good marth player like you could win 1st.

Ryanarius: The games are 2 out of 3 and only grand finals are 3 out of 5. The dollare fee is 5 for entry ad 10 dollar pot. And there are no loser games at all due to the face there will be sooo many people coming and there are only limited amount of tvs. Again, I didn't make the rules at all.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
PeePee-So are you coming to this? A good marth player like you could win 1st.

Ryanarius: The games are 2 out of 3 and only grand finals are 3 out of 5. The dollare fee is 5 for entry ad 10 dollar pot. And there are no loser games at all due to the face there will be sooo many people coming and there are only limited amount of tvs. Again, I didn't make the rules at all.
So if there are no loser games does that mean its single elimination?

Dr. Peepee- Maybe, if its single elimination probably not. A couple of the smasher here in clemson would always play final d only if it was their call so a ride shouldn't be too difficult. My pit has improved and my snake is good enough that mk matchups are not an automatic lost so hopefully I'll do well.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I'll come, but I'm a bit uneasy about the FD only rule :/
EDIT: Hey this is only 10 minuites away from my house

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
Ryanarius: It will be single elimination or double depending on how many people come. Sorry about the fact that a lot of these aspects of the game are factored by the number of people who come.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Ryanarius: It will be single elimination or double depending on how many people come. Sorry about the fact that a lot of these aspects of the game are factored by the number of people who come.
The PNT tournaments around here usually suck--

-stupid rules
-overcrowded
-you can't swear because of little kids
-and most of the workers know nothing about Brawl

However, like Sushi said, the payout is always huge.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
The PNT tournaments around here usually suck--

-stupid rules
-overcrowded
-you can't swear because of little kids
-and most of the workers know nothing about Brawl

However, like Sushi said, the payout is always huge.
:( If I can get atleast 2-3 good brawls, (Not me 3stocking some 5 year old, then he goes crying yelling "HE ***** ME HARD" :/) I'll be there

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
:( If I can get atleast 2-3 good brawls, (Not me 3stocking some 5 year old, then he goes crying yelling "HE ***** ME HARD" :/) I'll be there
Kack: lol. This play n trade is 10 minutes away from my house as well

Casanova: I admit the rules are stupid and many kids over there suck, but the prize money just makes it good.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Just got back in town today, and lo and behold, my schedule makes it so I can't be there when it starts. Does anyone else here know how long the tourney usually lasts? I'm in uptown charlotte, so I'll have to commute by train which'll take about 30-45 minutes. If nothing else, I'd very much like to at least see some of the matches. Maybe not so much the 5 year olds, but rather some of the true blue smashers. : )

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Just got back in town today, and lo and behold, my schedule makes it so I can't be there when it starts. Does anyone else here know how long the tourney usually lasts? I'm in uptown charlotte, so I'll have to commute by train which'll take about 30-45 minutes. If nothing else, I'd very much like to at least see some of the matches. Maybe not so much the 5 year olds, but rather some of the true blue smashers. : )
What's a blue smasher?

Sushi-man and I are gonna dominate :p

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
East: How late can you get there? We can probably do it so that you have the last singles match so you can be maybe more than an hour late. It would be nice to have some smashers over there that are not noobs.

Kackamee: lol. The funny part is that we both will probably place in the top three since there are sooo many terrible people over there.

East

Crappy Imitation
well I'm at the Johnson and Wales University dorms, and I get let off of RA training at 3pm that day. Factor in about 10-15 mins to walk to the train [praying I don't have to wait for it.] it's about a 30-45 minute ride to pineville. Oh, and before anything else, I don't really think I'm any good. I've only really played against my friends, and just playing against them isn't such a great measure. I know stuff and try to apply it, but I've never been told if what I'm doing is effective or not. I don't think I'm a noob, but i'm certainly not great. :ohwell:

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
well I'm at the Johnson and Wales University dorms, and I get let off of RA training at 3pm that day. Factor in about 10-15 mins to walk to the train [praying I don't have to wait for it.] it's about a 30-45 minute ride to pineville. Oh, and before anything else, I don't really think I'm any good. I've only really played against my friends, and just playing against them isn't such a great measure. I know stuff and try to apply it, but I've never been told if what I'm doing is effective or not. I don't think I'm a noob, but i'm certainly not great. :ohwell:
Still, even if your not that good, it's still nice to come just to get better. But since it starts at 3:00 That's kinda hard to get there in time to fit you in, but still try atleast :/ Maybe if you don't make it in time, you could play some friendlies in the end

East

Crappy Imitation
I'll try and see if I can get out a little early. If I don't make it in time; however, I'd love to play some friendlies. Just getting a chance to play different people would be enough for me ^_^ New characters and strategies will be a great experience.

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
East: I can guarantee you that you will do better than almost all those other people over there. Most of the people over there are really bad. If you can make it, like kack said, stick around for friendlies.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Hmmm... idk if i'd like to do this tourney, or the Gamer's Edge one. That one is obviously more consitent, and has a decent turnout for great players (i can count... 8 including myself, and another 5-8 who are pretty good too)
But i honestly get off work at 3:00 IF i don't take my lunch break (and i can get FIRED for that, lol :p) and i have only driven to charlote south.... idk where South Blvd is, and idk if i could get there on time.... but (for obvious reasons) if i were to go, im pretty confident no one will have played a Sonic of my calibur before, and its easy making top 3 (Sushi, you and i nvr played, and in a few friendlies, i beat Kack, lol :p)
But really idk...

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Hmmm... idk if i'd like to do this tourney, or the Gamer's Edge one. That one is obviously more consitent, and has a decent turnout for great players (i can count... 8 including myself, and another 5-8 who are pretty good too)
But i honestly get off work at 3:00 IF i don't take my lunch break (and i can get FIRED for that, lol :p) and i have only driven to charlote south.... idk where South Blvd is, and idk if i could get there on time.... but (for obvious reasons) if i were to go, im pretty confident no one will have played a Sonic of my calibur before, and its easy making top 3 (Sushi, you and i nvr played, and in a few friendlies, i beat Kack, lol :p)
But really idk...
I swear, your Sonic is faster than other peoples >.> I call haxors :/

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Yea, and unfortunatley, he didn't enter tourney's much as sonic, but pwnd Gimpyfish's bowser, xD

Mr.3000 is a solid Sonic, who places extremly well in some difficult tourneys

I honestly kno my greatest shortcoming as sonic is my lack of powershielding, and shield grabbing. But he is so fast that i do fine without it, xD. But against MK, Marth, and i guess ESPECIALLY ROB after my owning... (tearz :'/) i should work on that, but wifi isnt the way to, lol

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Yea, and unfortunatley, he didn't enter tourney's much as sonic, but pwnd Gimpyfish's bowser, xD

Mr.3000 is a solid Sonic, who places extremly well in some difficult tourneys

I honestly kno my greatest shortcoming as sonic is my lack of powershielding, and shield grabbing. But he is so fast that i do fine without it, xD. But against MK, Marth, and i guess ESPECIALLY ROB after my owning... (tearz :'/) i should work on that, but wifi isnt the way to, lol
Yeah, I play online quite abit my self, and I think it's effecting the timing on my CGs >.> So that's not kewl

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Oh it is by far for me. If you watch LuCKy, he will slow run away, short hop to fast fall Bair (sonic's best kill move) and his spacing is perfect to either hit, or be out of range for the grab. I lost my timing for that and it has effected me greatly, i go for it a lot in the ROB matches i lost, but missed nearly every one due to off timing, xD. And he's so fast he can fast run away and not get hit. Good sonic's are scary, lol

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
But really idk...
If you think you can place, I would recommend coming to the play and trade one b/c first place will probably be about $400. We haven't played yet but I saw you beat devin so you must be really good esp. since sonic has a disadvantage against marth.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
It definitley wasn't easy, he pwnd me pretty hard last week, but i practiced the best 3 marths i know, and didn't rely on gimping to win, just how to feint, counter, chain combo, ect.
Im trying to make both, but really hoping i can at LEAST place third here for the cash prize, lol. I could use it. Then again, i owned Wes's ROB and lost to Neo's ROB... and Wes' MK ownd me and im guessing you play a much better MK Sushi.. practicing those 3 matchups i guess, lol

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
lol, im not, your one of the good players, but its funny the ways i can play Sonic. I really did play 2 diff styles for the 2 tourney's, to see how it'd go. A challenge is welcome. Or i may just practice would TL again, lol

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
Criosphinx: Were you in the gamer's edge tourney? I don't know who you are exactly

JMan-I never played Wes but I played Neo's rob and that was very hard. He keeps camping with his gyro and lasers and you have to be super quick to get in his face so you can do close combat. I didn't know whether or not infinate dimensional cape was banned or not so I didn't use that as an approach.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
1) I know for a fact I can't beat Sushi with my Climbers.
2) That's because I couldn't even beat Wes' spammy MK
3) Now I got quite a few people to watch out for >.>
4) Criosphinx is the manager of the gamers edge tourneys
5) I've beaten Wes' and Neo's Robs but mostly cause I use the gyro agaisnt them.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I beat Wes ROB cause he didn't spam or camp. Sonic lacks priority and range AND attacking speed to ROB, watch our 1st match, he spamed the weak laser to disrupt my approach, and out-prioritized me. 2nd matches 50 dmg bthrow made me phail, xD. ROB, MK, and Marth are the only chars i consistently have a tough time with. ROB loses aeiral combat to Sonic, but my timing was way off on those matches....

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
Kackamee: I wouldn't say I will definately beat you since I have never fought a against a good ice climbers player. Also, Wes and I have different styles of fighting so maybe you might lose to Wes and beat me.

Jman- I think to key aspect to fighting Rob is while you are running towards him, you need to shield when he throws out his gyro or lasers. This would prevent any "chip" damage which accumulates overtime. Rob, Mk, and Marth have super high priority so that would definately be hard match-ups for sonic.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Criosphinx: Were you in the gamer's edge tourney? I don't know who you are exactly

JMan-I never played Wes but I played Neo's rob and that was very hard. He keeps camping with his gyro and lasers and you have to be super quick to get in his face so you can do close combat. I didn't know whether or not infinate dimensional cape was banned or not so I didn't use that as an approach.

Yeah... I was the guy yelling at the little kids and wtfpwning as Ness / GaW.

And IDC isn't banned, as long as you're not stalling with it.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
IDC is so freggin hard to do for more than 5 seconds, so I don't see how it could be banned :/

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I don't even kno how its done, and i didn't know of its existence till some random online ffa, its literally had me lmao, xD. He tried to litterally "surprise attack" us with it, and i just used a grounded spring and went up and down and up and down, lmao :p. How do is performed?

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
How to Perform IDC: On the ground, do a Down-B. Continue to hold Down on the joystick and rapidly tap the C-stick between neutral and Up.
Effect: MK stays invisible/invincible as long as you are tapping C-stick Up, then finishes his Down-B attack instantly when you stop. You can also tilt the joystick down-left and down-right to travel while Vanished

Top Bottom