• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platforms 101

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
YouTube
FileFront

Shown in order of increasing speed:
  • Normal Platform Drop - When you hit the platform, your character enters landing lag, and can't drop through the platform until it ends, though there are ways around this.

• Dash Drop (aka "Isai Drop") - When you hit the platform, if you hit left or right, your character will start to move and negate the landing animation, thus enabling you to drop through the platform immediately.

• Shield Drop - Similarly, if you shield right as you land, you can slightly tap down to drop out of shield immediately. This is much harder than the Dash Drop, so you should only use it when you're already forced to shield on a platform.

• No-Impact Drop - If you jump at a platform low enough, you won't actually enter your landing animation, and therefore can do anything such as drop through right away. This only works if you're approaching the platform from below, or just dropped through the platform. I've seen players like Bum using this as a mindgame, so I dub this one "Bum Dropping," mostly because that sounds awesome.

• Waveland Drop - If instead of hitting the platform, you instead waveland (in any direciton), you won't have to deal with landing lag, and will be able to perform any move from there, like dropping through the platform.

• PC Jump Drop - Essentially, if you midair below a platform at a point where you can land on it, you'll either go high enough to impact land on the platform (seen in the Normal Platform Drop), or go low enough that you'll just wind up on the platform without impacting (seen in the No-Impact Drop). If you happen to midair on the one frame that divides these two, you'll just pop up the platform immediately, and have no lag at all. Nifty, but mostly it's a flash mindgame - essentially an advanced version of the No-Impact Drop

D1

Banned via Administration
1st Post!!!

If you were a girl Phanna I'd wife you for knowing so much sh** and puttin them in vids for all to see ^_^.

Its much better than just typing out tricks and tellin ppl how to do it...showin them how its done along w/ that is wayyy more better.

YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

Byez

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
This is some hot ****. I only knew how to shield drop before, never knew about the other stuff really.

I'm goin to see if I can get the Isai drop workin now.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Yeah, i can never figured how to get that shield drop off correctly and i didn't even know about the PC drop. Nice sleuthin'.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
Cool! Thanks for the video and explanation! PC Drop looks a bit difficult... I'll give this stuff a shot! ^_^

Rage.

Smash Ace
Nice video and types of Drops
but why dident you make it like the AHTP and just have the video and the types together
that would have been awesome.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
How do you perform the shield drop?

-SynikaL
While shielding on a platform (hard / light doesn't make a difference), make a confident, small movement on the control stick from neutral to maybe 3/16 inch down. If you see yourself only tilt your shield, you're not going far enough down, or are doing it too slowly. If you see yourself spot-dodge, then you are either going too far down, or are doing it too quickly.

It's great to do when you're shielding on a platform do defend yourself against an agressor, and then shield-drop a c-stick aerial :)

180OP

Smash Journeyman
Nice stuff. I gotta get a new controller though, analog down is sluggish, can't do normal drops at will. But I gotta practice these.

Phanna I had a question. I was messing around and when I was trying to do the edge cancelling I sheild as I jumped at the edge and my shield came on the platform but because of my character's inertia I fell right off. How does that really work? I'm prolly fluking it, and it could be a thing for a new vid of yours.

The character is just freefalling (the one where you gotta press left right backforth to snap outta it in midair).

I dont really see a use, but it could be a mindgame by doing this. drop off the platform and roll tech the opposite direction you were coming from. So maybe it is a escape tactic i dont knw.

Phanna can you see if you can roll tech this, cuz i suck.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Phanna I had a question. I was messing around and when I was trying to do the edge cancelling I sheild as I jumped at the edge and my shield came on the platform but because of my character's inertia I fell right off. How does that really work? I'm prolly fluking it, and it could be a thing for a new vid of yours.

The character is just freefalling (the one where you gotta press left right backforth to snap outta it in midair).

I dont really see a use, but it could be a mindgame by doing this. drop off the platform and roll tech the opposite direction you were coming from. So maybe it is a escape tactic i dont knw.

Phanna can you see if you can roll tech this, cuz i suck.
That's not really edge-cancelling per se, that's just falling off a platform backwards in your shield.. it puts you in a tumble, and you can tech it, or do a get-up attack. You can just do this by wavedashing backwards off a platform and holding shield (your shield needs to pop up before you fall off). It's not new, and it's really not that useful (in fact I hate it when I do this, since it takes longer before you can aerial). Long story short: it's not sliding, watch phannacies / phannatic again, those are all special / aerial moves that are being slid, not just wavedash momentum. Wavedashing has nothing to do with edge-cancelling, aside from the fact that both use momentum.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
That move is called "Drunken Rohins Hidden Tumble". I used it at Twilight4 against phanna and he asked me if he could forfit the match but I told him to play it out. He ended up winning the match, but hey I WAS IN HIS HEAD.

Nigzel

Smash Ace
1. Requesting song, it was sexy.
2. Great job Phanna, you just reminded me of something I have to work more on.

Smell ya.

E: Oh yeah, what does the 'PC' stand for?

OTRU...

Smash Champion
1. Requesting song, it was sexy.
2. Great job Phanna, you just reminded me of something I have to work more on.

Smell ya.

E: Oh yeah, what does the 'PC' stand for?
This is Phanna at Otru's place. To get the song, just search YTMND for "german mario" and pick a good one. The PC stands for "Platform-Cancelled," making the technique Platform-Cancelled-Jump Drop, which is the most accurate description I could think of.

Balloon

Smash Lord
I'm not quite understanding how to do the PC drop. Could you elaborate a bit more on that besides just "when you midair"? XD Are you meaning midair dodge?

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I'm not quite understanding how to do the PC drop. Could you elaborate a bit more on that besides just "when you midair"? XD Are you meaning midair dodge?
Drop below a platform, and midair to land back on the platform. If you come up high enough that you land in a white puff as shown at the beginning of Platforms 101, you used your midair too early. If you jump up and either land without the puff (seen in the No-Impact Drop) or miss the platform entirely, then you used your midair too late. If you use your midair in the frame between these two scenarious, your jump platform-cancels and you pretty much flip immediately back up to the platform.

Le0n

Smash Rookie
Great thread Phanna. Anyway, I was wondering if there was another way to perform the Shield Drop, because I seem to be able to do something similar to it. I couldn't find anything else except this thread so I'm not sure if people know this or not.

I guess I would call this L-Cancel Shield Drop, because I think I see a shield for a split second when I fall through. To do this, I L-Cancel (or R) and press down on the control-stick at the same time when landing onto a platform making me fall through it. You will know if you did it incorrectly if you performed spot-dodge (too late) or fell/air-dodged through the platform (too early). Make sure you impact onto the platform and not in midair.

Its a little different from the Shield Drop because you are not holding up the shield when you land. Also, you don't have to tap the control-stick slightly but however you want as long as it syncs it with L. I haven't perfected it so I don't know it's uses. The ones you have listed are probably better, but it just a new thing I thought was kind of cool.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Which category would Falco's single full hop to the middle platform of Battlefield fall under?

Kadano

Magical Express
Nice video and all, but unfortunately phanna's PC jump description is wrong. The last segment in the video is actual a normal no-impact land, except that it's possible with Mario at a very early time during his double jump. If you go into develop mode and press R+down on the d-pad a few times, you can see the character's position kite¹ (that's what I call it, if there's already a standard name for it, please tell me) that's responsible for landing detection. A character will land on a platform if his new-frame position kite collides with a platform while his old-frame position kite does not. In order to be a no-impact land, the character has to also be near the peak of his jump, but I couldn't figure out the specifics yet.

Mario's position kite extends downwards on the 10th frame of his rejump. Thus, if there is a platform just below him on that frame, he will land without lag.

If you double jump one frame too early, Mario will be too high so the kite extension is not enough to touch the platform. Mario will take much longer to land and will perform a normal landing with 4 frames lag.

If you double jump one frame too late, on the 10th frame not only Mario's new-frame position kite, but also his old-frame position kite will collide with the platform. Thus, Mario will fly through and perform a normal landing with 4 frames lag.

If that was not understandable, here is a list that shows how many frames after doing a normal (no fast fall) pass through a platform you have to wait until you double jump in order to get a specific landing:

Mario:
Double jump on frame 1-16: normal landing (4 frames lag)
Double jump on frame 17: no-impact landing (0 frames lag)
Double jump on frame 18: normal landing (4 frames lag)
Double jump on frame 19-22: no-impact landing (0 frames lag)
Double jump on frame 23 or later: no landing (not high enough)

Marth:
1-19: normal landing
20-21: no-impact landing
22 or later: no landing

¹It's actually a quadrilateral, as for some characters like Ganondorf it often takes asymmetric shapes. However, for most characters it looks like a kite most of the time, so I've settled for that name for now as it's way simpler to say kite than quadrilateral.

Top Bottom