• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Nintendo is pretty lacking in the "photorealistic human" department.
If it's serious, it's more than likely drawn in an anime artstyle.

So the options are pretty limited.
Not really... look at Snake in brawl. all they need to do is touch up some textures and bam! we have a good looking Snake model. they did the same thing with Mario, Lucario, and some others.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Not really... look at Snake in brawl. all they need to do is touch up some textures and bam! we have a good looking Snake model. they did the same thing with Mario, Lucario, and some others.
Y'know, I know the people at Konami said it's be okay for Snake to be used, but I've got this sneaking suspicion that the paperwork and legal formalities behind the scenes are a bunch more complicated than they make it out to be. But I could be talking out of my ass.
I'd definitly be in favor of Snake returning, he did the whole "normals are projectiles" before Mega Man.

That aside, what do you people think will happen with that "work in progress" thing on Lucas image on the DLC page?
It's already June in Japan, so why didn't it update yet? Are they waiting for midnight for GMT? Maybe some american time? Or will it just be done when it's done?

I'm kinda feeling midnight in GMT time.

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe
That aside, what do you people think will happen with that "work in progress" thing on Lucas image on the DLC page?
It's already June in Japan, so why didn't it update yet? Are they waiting for midnight for GMT? Maybe some american time? Or will it just be done when it's done?

I'm kinda feeling midnight in GMT time.
My guess is that they're waiting for America (or, the whole planet) to turn June 1st. "Work in Progress" is one vague statement to say that June is here and so is Lucas. I'm not expecting any early June releases of him, but definitely more information on him and such.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
My guess is that they're waiting for America (or, the whole planet) to turn June 1st. "Work in Progress" is one vague statement to say that June is here and so is Lucas. I'm not expecting any early June releases of him, but definitely more information on him and such.
I'm thinking he's gonna get some pre-release images and a date. I just want that date already!

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Yes, probably images and MAYBE a date if we're lucky. maybe some of the moves we haven't seen in the trailer will be shown in the images. I really hope he keeps his Dair, Uair, and Dsmash. and I think they should give him a new final smash, maybe they did...and perhaps the reason they didn't show it in the trailer was because it was still in development? who knows..?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Seeing both Lucas and Roy would make my day so much. Two GBA-era veterans beloved by fans (one more vocally than the other though).
Roy isn't exactly loved though, sure, Smash fans like him and all but Fire Emblem fans consider him to be the worst lord ever. So yeah...

Everybody loves Lucas though.

notbenny

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure Lucas will still have PK Starstorm. Unless they got the voice actress to do new lines, he'll have PK Starstorm.

PSIMagnet

Smash Rookie
If that's the case, I hope it works how it worked in brawl. I usually don't play with items on, but I just hope it isn't like how Ness' PK Starstorm is now.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Oh god, you're one of those people.
As a fellow Dededededededede main, I feel I must yell at you for not worshipping his greatness alongside @ Putuk Putuk and I.
Rabblerabblerabble!:4dedede::4dedede::4dedede:

But honestly, I'm more than ready for Lucas and I really don't mind if he is released early or late June. As long as it is in June it's all good.

And about Roy, while I don't really care if he comes back, I played almost all the FEs, and I can confirm that, yes, Roy is trash in his game.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Roy isn't exactly loved though, sure, Smash fans like him and all but Fire Emblem fans consider him to be the worst lord ever. So yeah...

Everybody loves Lucas though.
And about Roy, while I don't really care if he comes back, I played almost all the FEs, and I can confirm that, yes, Roy is trash in his game.

(Source)

Yeah, Roy's worst shortcomings is him being an unit with either average or mostly mediocre stat growths and being sword-locked for the entire game. Combined with awfully late promotion, yeah, it's no wonder most people say he's worst lord next to Leaf/Leif. Also the fact that he was a clone of Marth (but by the standards of what we got today, he was decently done clone in Melee, compared to :4lucina:)

However, that's about it. I think Roy keeps always being overlooked for having these stats and being also a clone from Melee, which leads him for being hated for many very subjective and toxic reasons. For lack of "colorful" personality showing out, despite FE-lords are always gonna get slammed for same reason (aside from Ike, Hector and Ephraim because if they wreck, their more worth investing on - Marth gets easily called bland too). His lack of fighting prowess is actually justified for being inexperienced in war in long term at the beginning of the game:

But for what it's worth, he has optimistic, idealistic personality, stout wisdom and cunning tactic mind - even if you can feel him still being "young", which leads you to think he's still trying to grow into the army leader people are following him to be.
He tends to remember that he's not the strongest in the army, and has shown to have difficulty trying to keep on being a strong leader for sake of his army, yet still does his best to ensure always a peaceful end to the war in his continent for both human and dragonkind alike - and steadily grows to better by end-game )through Swords of Seals suddenly bringing the best out of him, also Smash).
Smash shows how he's also quite vigorous and energetic in his fighting, which drew him to have many fans (exactly what Sakurai wanted) - which I interprete as putting it all to him.

It slightly has me think Lucas's timidness and how he would grow in Mother 3 in a way that it won't be hindrance to him. With Roy, it's having him to deal with being awful on combat and dealing with stress and responsibility of being a leader to his army, but growing to better while staying into his ideals and showing empathy to everyone he meets, helping to find less conflicting and peaceful ways to end his war.

"We can’t go back to the past, but we can shape the future. Then we should work to make a future the same as, or even better than the past, right?" (Lilina & Roy Support A)
"We are fighting to win this war. However, if we focus only on winning and ignore those people needing help, is that a true victory?" (Cecilia & Roy Support B)

"There are also people supporting us outside the battlefield, and there are also those whom we don’t use because of my decisions who haven’t yet had a chance. You want to simply expel them all? We have many people who joined us with strong beliefs. We can’t just tell them to leave." (Marcus & Roy Support B)

"No, I’m not making fun of you. You see, I have to always show people that I’m happy and confident because I’m the leader. But I often get depressed or become worried. Oh, I wanted to ask you, is there some kind of tip that you can give me to stay happy like that?" (Thany & Roy Support C)

Merlinus:
"Master Roy, Bern's troops are escaping."

Roy:
"Oh. All right."

Merlinus:
"All right? We must give chase."

Roy:
"No, don't. They're fleeing. They don't have any more will to fight."

Merlinus:
"But..."

Roy:
"They have families as well. There's no need to fight more than necessary."

(Roy & Merlinus during Chapter 20-X's end)

So yeah - I think while he has loads of hate in Smash-fandom and not much remembered for stats in FE-fandom, I think it doesn't justify him being "bad" or "awful" and "overrated". He actually is very popular around the block, but due all the subjective negativity (when not coming to stats) around him, the fans tend to keep it to themselves. I've met a lot Roy-fans who want him dearly back, and I don't think any of their reasons are not justified, because we could always apply them to other Smash-characters ("non-fans because they didn't play source game", "characters who are bad performance-wise or have bad games shouldn't be in Smash) or FE-characters (bland personality, mediocre/not-soloing-stats), and when it's only down to his stats being his true short-coming, Roy's far from being the worst character development-wise (That'd go to Chrom) and even being influencing mover of the series along Marth in Melee (but in a bigger scale in Japan, as FE6's success there ensured a bright future for the series to go on.)

But enough of that. I just hope that Roy's inclusion (hopefully as a semi-clone) in Sm4sh will have his fanbase come out once again and have newer fans take a new look on him. And I hope I shed more light on his situation for you.

Back to Lucas:

His poster changed on the Japanese Dojo - it reads "Work in Progress!"

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Guess I'll come crawling back here for the final month. :happysheep:

It's been a while...

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Looks like we didn't get anything on the american website in relation to Lucas...

not yet..

Drippy

Smash Ace
Really praying Lucas is a top tier character, I'm a competitive player and I'm still fairly new to this game (two months and a half of playing). As much as I love Lucas, I may not make him a character I'll put to much time into until I get better at this game because I'm not at the level where I can really explore and discover new stuff for a character IMO because I really just want to focus more on improving myself as a player right now. In addition I want to catch up with all the top players in my city who have been playing much longer with me but I'm not sure if I could do that if I played Lucas if he was a low or mid tier. If anyone wants to provide some insight for me to change my mind I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
Really praying Lucas is a top tier character, I'm a competitive player and I'm still fairly new to this game (two months and a half of playing). As much as I love Lucas, I may not make him a character I'll put to much time into until I get better at this game because I'm not at the level where I can really explore and discover new stuff for a character IMO because I really just want to focus more on improving myself as a player right now. In addition I want to catch up with all the top players in my city who have been playing much longer with me but I'm not sure if I could do that if I played Lucas if he was a low or mid tier. If anyone wants to provide some insight for me to change my mind I'd appreciate it.
I want him to be good, but not the best. I don't want to watch a tournament match of M2K vs NAKAT and they're both playing as Lucas, not because they like the character, but simply because he's top tier. (actually nakat might like Lucas as a character since he likes Ness but idk)
but this is pretty much what would happen if Lucas was top tier, and I hate that. so yes, I do hope he's in the top 10, but not top 3.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Contrastingly, I hope he isn't. making Lucas a very strong character enforces one of, IMO, the worst ways a company can make dlc, which is the pay to win philosophy. Also, while I may be alone, I for one don't like seeing millions of any character running around, let alone the ones that I actually enjoy using, as to me it devalues or waters down the character.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I disagree but agree. I hope lucas is upper mid tier. I don't want my main to be pooped on by the whole cast again, I want him to be very technical again tho

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'd love him to be near where Ness is, ideally with slightly less oppressive strengths (Ness Bthrow invalidates a lot of characters :p ) but less destructive weaknesses. In that sense I'd want him to be able to cover more MUs.

In regards to you though Drippy, I co-mained Lucas and Ness in Brawl and I'll be co-maining them again once Lucas gets released and I can tell you Co-maining doesn't take away from your time learning to get better at one character. It gives you variety to switch and allows you to keep playing at the top of your game, and many top players use multiple characters to cover their bad MUs. Even if Lucas was low tier but you enjoyed him, he'd be good to make your play generally more versatile (sometimes a certain playstyle can be beaten by some players and you need a different playstyle to throw them off), and considering there are low tiers with decent higher-tier MUs, there's a good chance he'd still cover some of Ness' harder MUs (even if they're just MUs he wins 'harder' than Ness).

In brawl I'd take them both to nationals and both of them would get comments, usually by different people (some said they found my Ness really hard to deal with, others said it was Lucas).

If absolute worst comes to worst and for whatever reason you don't think you can juggle them both, then just wait a few months until you're ready to pick him up and play him as a funsies character in the meantime.

I wish I was back in the Aus scene and doing you guys proud. Hopefully once I get back and start University and the like I'll get back up to speed quickly and I'll be able to do Lucas proud like I did for Ness. <3

I just want to say, I'm not that bothered by the idea that other people play the characters I do. I'm certainly protective of my characters, but if they really think they're 'play to win' characters then I'll just show them why hard work with the character you love gets results. If people want to play Lucas because he's good, let them. Hopefully they'll see what a fun character he is and want to play Mother 3. And if not, oh wellsies.

A lot of people in Brawl had at least a pocket Lucas. He was a very fun and technical character to play. I expect a good player-base for him post-release, and honestly a crowded community is better than an empty one, I'm gonna say that from experience. :grin:

Last edited:

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
The realization just hit me, magnet pull will probably be a tech again guys, either that or a "MAGNET CANCEL".

This is due to wavebouncing to still be in the game, Lucas always had like the BEST wavebounce, because he falls back as he does it naturally and you can see him still do that in the trailer.

The only way this wont work is if wavebouncing somehow STOPPED him completely in the air.

Magnet HAS to do something, right?

My main argument is Sonics Spin Jump is still in the game, this also makes me think Zap Jumping is possible because Luigi has had something similar with rising down b.

Guys, I'm just gonna say this, our techs are probably coming back. At least magnet pulling imo.

Wavebouncing is in this game, Ness has one, but it's like in Brawl, nowhere near as good as Lucas's was.

Last edited:

Jinlennon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jinlennon
2 weeks. 2 weeks and we'll know when lucas will be back :D

Last edited:

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
We don't know for sure if they're waiting till E3, do we? God I just want Lucas already, I don't want to wait like 3 more weeks.

Drippy

Smash Ace
I want him to be good, but not the best. I don't want to watch a tournament match of M2K vs NAKAT and they're both playing as Lucas, not because they like the character, but simply because he's top tier. (actually nakat might like Lucas as a character since he likes Ness but idk)
but this is pretty much what would happen if Lucas was top tier, and I hate that. so yes, I do hope he's in the top 10, but not top 3.
Contrastingly, I hope he isn't. making Lucas a very strong character enforces one of, IMO, the worst ways a company can make dlc, which is the pay to win philosophy. Also, while I may be alone, I for one don't like seeing millions of any character running around, let alone the ones that I actually enjoy using, as to me it devalues or waters down the character.
I definitely agreed, I didn't mean I want him to be Sheik's level or like pre-patch Diddy Kong but definitely in the top among the A-Ranks in the tier list. I can also see why Nintendo would make him a mid-tier character at best just so that the game doesn't seem "pay to win" in a way I suppose.

I'd love him to be near where Ness is, ideally with slightly less oppressive strengths (Ness Bthrow invalidates a lot of characters :p ) but less destructive weaknesses. In that sense I'd want him to be able to cover more MUs.

In regards to you though Drippy, I co-mained Lucas and Ness in Brawl and I'll be co-maining them again once Lucas gets released and I can tell you Co-maining doesn't take away from your time learning to get better at one character. It gives you variety to switch and allows you to keep playing at the top of your game, and many top players use multiple characters to cover their bad MUs. Even if Lucas was low tier but you enjoyed him, he'd be good to make your play generally more versatile (sometimes a certain playstyle can be beaten by some players and you need a different playstyle to throw them off), and considering there are low tiers with decent higher-tier MUs, there's a good chance he'd still cover some of Ness' harder MUs (even if they're just MUs he wins 'harder' than Ness).

In brawl I'd take them both to nationals and both of them would get comments, usually by different people (some said they found my Ness really hard to deal with, others said it was Lucas).

If absolute worst comes to worst and for whatever reason you don't think you can juggle them both, then just wait a few months until you're ready to pick him up and play him as a funsies character in the meantime.

I wish I was back in the Aus scene and doing you guys proud. Hopefully once I get back and start University and the like I'll get back up to speed quickly and I'll be able to do Lucas proud like I did for Ness. <3

I just want to say, I'm not that bothered by the idea that other people play the characters I do. I'm certainly protective of my characters, but if they really think they're 'play to win' characters then I'll just show them why hard work with the character you love gets results. If people want to play Lucas because he's good, let them. Hopefully they'll see what a fun character he is and want to play Mother 3. And if not, oh wellsies.

A lot of people in Brawl had at least a pocket Lucas. He was a very fun and technical character to play. I expect a good player-base for him post-release, and honestly a crowded community is better than an empty one, I'm gonna say that from experience. :grin:
Hmm that's true, I have heard cases of players who played really off-meta characters winning against top tiers cause the player didn't expect it nor have they really bothered with the match-up cause no one plays it. Hmm idk, I'll see about it when the time comes.

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe

Meanwhile... in my hype impatience... still recreating Lucas's moveset in Renders for pure fun.

k-ta

Smash Cadet
NNID
shadowkyo
3DS FC
5284-1414-9946
I'm dying with each passing day without a release date from here on out...

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
God this wait is so painful..
We better get Mother 3 or something Else lol.

Top Bottom